Options

Processing Image Thumbnail never goes away

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    We're gonna keep looking at this, sorry for the hassle folks.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Just some stats:
    1575 just uploaded. 1606 in the gallery. 31 had to be deleted.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Seems to have gotten worse. Two photos still show processing. Has been said that you could safely delete the processing thumbnail as it is merely a duplicate. Well I know which picture should be seen and it is not. Simply two processing image thumbnails. I only uploaded five images. So deleting the processing thumbnails could result in one not having an image uploaded. This will be a real PITA if bulk uploading hundred of pics.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 14, 2011
    I ran into this again this morning.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2011
    cjyphoto wrote: »
    Seems to have gotten worse. Two photos still show processing. Has been said that you could safely delete the processing thumbnail as it is merely a duplicate. Well I know which picture should be seen and it is not. Simply two processing image thumbnails. I only uploaded five images. So deleting the processing thumbnails could result in one not having an image uploaded. This will be a real PITA if bulk uploading hundred of pics.
    This is why my methodology includes going back and then re-uploading the entire batch with 'skip duplicates'. You'll have to do this until the number of images in the gallery matches your original batch. It took me three tries on my batch.

FWIW, I've always checked the number of images uploaded to see if it matches my original batch. I've regularly had issues with duplicates/missing files since I started with SM back in 2005, so this step is essential. ne_nau.gif

An FTP implementation like Exposure Manager uses could completely eliminate this problem as well as the almost 1 hour it took to set up the 7gb upload batch via SM's uploaders. And SM's uploaders still couldn't max out the 15Mb of upload bandwidth like Filezilla or another multi-threaded FTP client would have easily done. Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Enough already!

ENOUGH ALREADY
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Enough already!

ENOUGH ALREADY

Right now, you'll see these for maybe up to an hour after uploading, after that they should go away. We're still chasing down the problem where for some they are lingering way too long.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Enough already!

ENOUGH ALREADY
    I'm not sure why, but bugs like this are taking around a month to squash right now. SM still has about a week left before it's fixed according to the recent track record. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Just FYI (in case SM thinks the issue is solved)...I've run into this today. Hope it will be fixed soon!
  • Options
    wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Still not fixed
    Not only is it still not fixed, it is worse. Now I get three copies being processed forever.
    Andy wrote: »
    Right now, you'll see these for maybe up to an hour after uploading, after that they should go away. We're still chasing down the problem where for some they are lingering way too long.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    wayne861 wrote: »
    Not only is it still not fixed, it is worse. Now I get three copies being processed forever.

Can we have a link to these please? Thanks.
  • Options
    wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Can we have a link to these please? Thanks.

I have deleted them.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011

David, I don't see any in this gallery at all ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    David, I don't see any in this gallery at all ne_nau.gif

Hey not there anymore for me either, I will keep a watch out but it was there when I posted. Thanks..
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    wayne861 wrote: »
    Did you still run into this? I've got 2000+ to upload, and once I get done fighting the stupid crashing SM uploaders, I want to know what other headache I'm going to run into.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Did you still run into this? I've got 2000+ to upload, and once I get done fighting the stupid crashing SM uploaders, I want to know what other headache I'm going to run into.

I'm so sorry you are having troubles, Samir :( We have customers uploading thousands of photos each, each day, with no trouble. I myself just sent up a few thousand - no problem. We'd love to help you, write our heroes and we will.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    I'm so sorry you are having troubles, Samir :( We have customers uploading thousands of photos each, each day, with no trouble. I myself just sent up a few thousand - no problem. We'd love to help you, write our heroes and we will.
    Oh, it's not SM as usual. I just don't have quad-processor computers sitting around just for uploading. The java uploader doesn't like it when you launch 4 of them and then throw 10gb at them on a 2.4ghz XPH system with 1GB of RAM.

Time to replicate my batch onto a second hd and then use a second system in parallel to get this up faster. Less than 4 simultaneous uploader sessions is only using 1/2-2/3 of my available bandwidth. In theory this upload should take 2hrs. I've been working on it for 4hrs.

This is why I want a native SM FTP process. Filezilla would've queued this up in 10 minutes and I would've started my upload Saturday night. But I knew it would be a pain, so I put it off until today.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    Oh, it's not SM as usual. I just don't have quad-processor computers sitting around just for uploading. The java uploader doesn't like it when you launch 4 of them and then throw 10gb at them on a 2.4ghz XPH system with 1GB of RAM.

So how are we to take your complaints about
    SamirD wrote:
    the stupid crashing SM uploaders

????
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Duh, sounds like think you're overloading your system and trying to blame SM.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    So how are we to take your complaints about
    I didn't ask for any assistance. I was simply making a statement.
    Allen wrote: »
    Duh, sounds like think you're overloading your system and trying to blame SM.
    This computer is more than capable to doing anything else I've ever thrown at it. And it was running nothing else--just 4 instances of simple uploader. This shouldn't tax the system to the point of crashing if the uploader was written properly.

It's insane that I need to buy a computer just to upload to Smugmug when I can do everything else on the Internet on the same system without issues.

Smugmug's main retort is always, 'no one else is having problems uploading'. Well, from my point-of-view 'no other site on the Internet has an issue with my computer'.

I cut my upload batch in half and waited 3x as long as I should have to upload it. Luckily, I don't seem to see any processing thumbnails, so that issue may finally be fixed.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    I didn't ask for any assistance. I was simply making a statement.
    This computer is more than capable to doing anything else I've ever thrown at it. And it was running nothing else--just 4 instances of simple uploader. This shouldn't tax the system to the point of crashing if the uploader was written properly.

It's insane that I need to buy a computer just to upload to Smugmug when I can do everything else on the Internet on the same system without issues.

Smugmug's main retort is always, 'no one else is having problems uploading'. Well, from my point-of-view 'no other site on the Internet has an issue with my computer'.

I cut my upload batch in half and waited 3x as long as I should have to upload it. Luckily, I don't seem to see any processing thumbnails, so that issue may finally be fixed.

We've spent a fortune improving our uploading over the years, and a ton more than that, just recently - where you has positive comments on our uploading and the work we're doing. I'm saying it's hard to read you Samir, and sometimes maybe saying less is more. You know you use older and not-mainstream computer systems and uploading schemes that we can't possibly be expected to maximize an uploading experience for for millions of customers. We know you want FTP.

We want to help you as much as possible, whenever - so I try to keep up :D
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    We've spent a fortune improving our uploading over the years, and a ton more than that, just recently - where you has positive comments on our uploading and the work we're doing. I'm saying it's hard to read you Samir, and sometimes maybe saying less is more. You know you use older and not-mainstream computer systems and uploading schemes that we can't possibly be expected to maximize an uploading experience for for millions of customers. We know you want FTP.

We want to help you as much as possible, whenever - so I try to keep up :D
    You yourself have said you have had no problems uploading on an XPH 1GB RAM system and that it meets SM's system requirements. ne_nau.gif I don't know how you can say this is not-mainstream. Yes, it is a bit older, but if you tested it to be fine, what difference should that make?

It is because the uploaders do not fully utilize my bandwidth that I have to bandaid the issue by launching multiple instances. The change where simple started uploading three files simultaneously helped, but not enough. I need a total of 9+ simultaneous file uploads to completely saturate my bandwidth, and the uploaders are limited to much less than that. And I don't know if any change is coming or not. The queue time is also tremendous, sometimes as much as 30 minutes when skipping files. I have dedicated one computer just to uploading because of this so I can work on something else in the meantime.

I know FTP can solve these problems for me, and I'm glad you're aware of that. I just get so frustrated with these issues at times when I have deadlines on my head. I worked 40hrs between Friday and Sunday, and I need to set an upload and go to sleep, wake up and get to work. Not spend my 8hrs while I'm awake attempting to upload.

On the bright side, I just uploaded over 4000 photos and didn't see the processing images thumbnail. clap.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    SamirD, don't you need a huge amount of RAM to handle that much upload? Would not that be a bottleneck?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    SamirD, don't you need a huge amount of RAM to handle that much upload? Would not that be a bottleneck?
    FTP doesn't.

In my experience, the only place where RAM becomes an issue with SM uploaders is with video files. And this depends on the uploader as well. HTML5 and Flash have different implementations than Simple, and I've found Simple is much more reliable for these files. HTML5 memory usage varies based on the browser, and I haven't bothered with Flash yet.

When I can queue up the same 10gb and send it away via ftp with 100% utilization of bandwidth, and yet I need some sort of quad-processor 4gb ram system to do it via SM's uploaders, then SM's uploaders aren't exactly efficient. And this may just be because it's trying to send files reliably via http, which was never the purpose of the protocol in the first place. FTP was meant to be for this. That's why these protocols created in the first place and the port numbers were assigned. ne_nau.gif

It's kinda ironic that SM is using a protocol for something that it was never designed for, and I'm the one that's in the wrong for bringing it up. rolleyes1.gif

I'm just happy the processing image problem is solved. I didn't want to go through thousands of images cleaning that up.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    You yourself have said you have had no problems uploading on an XPH 1GB RAM system and that it meets SM's system requirements. ne_nau.gif I don't know how you can say this is not-mainstream. Yes, it is a bit older, but if you tested it to be fine, what difference should that make?

SamirD, WinXP and the systems you are using are many, many years old. Files today are huge. I cannot imagine being a professional photographer using a 1gb ram system. Simply can't. You are using an OS that came out in 2001, that's over 10 years ago. We do our best, but we're pushing the limits with your setup. I'm very sorry :(
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    SamirD, WinXP and the systems you are using are many, many years old. Files today are huge. I cannot imagine being a professional photographer using a 1gb ram system. Simply can't. You are using an OS that came out in 2001, that's over 10 years ago. We do our best, but we're pushing the limits with your setup. I'm very sorry :(
    So then why did you say everything works fine on a system that you tested with similar specs in a previous discussion on this same topic? headscratch.gif I also get confused with your answers at times. ne_nau.gif

I've asked point blank at one time what SM's system requirements are, but I never got a solid answer. And if it's an ever changing target, then state that with the ever changing specs. I know what browsers and OS's aren't supported, and I don't ask SM to change anything in relation to them. But you can't say we do support X, and then turn around and say X is too old.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    So then why did you say everything works fine on a system that you tested with similar specs in a previous discussion on this same topic? headscratch.gif I also get confused with your answers at times. ne_nau.gif

I've asked point blank at one time what SM's system requirements are, but I never got a solid answer. And if it's an ever changing target, then state that with the ever changing specs. I know what browsers and OS's aren't supported, and I don't ask SM to change anything in relation to them. But you can't say we do support X, and then turn around and say X is too old.

We BARELY support WinXP - with IE8 and above. But you are running 1gb machines and loading a kabillion files in - I'm not suprised that you have difficulty :(http://smu.gs/rqVfYM
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    We BARELY support WinXP - with IE8 and above. But you are running 1gb machines and loading a kabillion files in - I'm not suprised that you have difficulty :(http://smu.gs/rqVfYM
    Nowhere on that page does it say the same thing you have stated here.

This is why I asked for HARD specs a long time ago, not the general guidelines like what you have in that link. If SM is software as a service, then supply system requirements like boxed software does--processor, video, ram, storage, browser, java, flash, and all the other things that make SM work or break it.

I have every right to express my opinion about a better way to do things. If you don't want to listen, that's your right. And I have no right to be upset if something doesn't work if my system is not meeting specs. But my system meets the specs listed in your link. Might want to add 'you can't run 1gb machines and loading a kabillion files in' under XP. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Nowhere on that page does it say the same thing you have stated here.

This is why I asked for HARD specs a long time ago, not the general guidelines like what you have in that link. If SM is software as a service, then supply system requirements like boxed software does--processor, video, ram, storage, browser, java, flash, and all the other things that make SM work or break it.

I have every right to express my opinion about a better way to do things. If you don't want to listen, that's your right. And I have no right to be upset if something doesn't work if my system is not meeting specs. But my system meets the specs listed in your link. Might want to add 'you can't run 1gb machines and loading a kabillion files in' under XP. rolleyes1.gif

We love to listen. I won't add that because as far as I'm aware you're the only customer that pushes the limits of Win XP and SmugMug :D

Samir, there are specs and specs. Every day all day long there are pros and amateurs posting on Dgrin and other forums about what sort of Win or Mac machine should they use for their photo work - what will give them best performance for their workflow. Photography is so important to your business yet you're running 10year old underpowered stuff, I'm just surprised, that's all.

I suggest we call a standstill on this topic, after you get the last word if you want :D We both have plenty to do and we understand each other, I think?