Options

*ENTRY* Thread MEGA ROUND #15 (Album Cover SP) CLOSED

13»

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Wow! So many great covers already... this is going to be a hard one to judge! thumb.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    How fun it will be to see everyone! I have been treading water on another project and am just realizing that there's a Mega going on. Better late to the party than not at all! I'm definitely going to try to make time for this one. Great idea Joyce!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I have very few pics of myself and usually feel uneasy in front of another photographer. And I am sure I am not alone in this group. So it was kinda funny that the two online photography challenges that I am participating in would pick this week to require self-portrait challenges. The other challenge, a 52-week project in a group at flickr with several hundred members, has been somewhat enlightening, looking through all of the results this morning. There are at least as many pictures of shadows or obscured faces or dogs at feet as there are actual recognizable portraits! Made me realize that I was probably one of the more comfortable participants in the challenge. (And it certainly is not because of my Hollywood good looks!) So a quick word of encouragement to those still contemplating doing something for this Mega: be who you are and be proud of it! You're gonna get judged less by us strangers then by those who half-know you anyway!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I haven't had anytime to even attempt a shot......time is running out!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    I have very few pics of myself and usually feel uneasy in front of another photographer. And I am sure I am not alone in this group. So it was kinda funny that the two online photography challenges that I am participating in would pick this week to require self-portrait challenges. The other challenge, a 52-week project in a group at flickr with several hundred members, has been somewhat enlightening, looking through all of the results this morning. There are at least as many pictures of shadows or obscured faces or dogs at feet as there are actual recognizable portraits! Made me realize that I was probably one of the more comfortable participants in the challenge. (And it certainly is not because of my Hollywood good looks!) So a quick word of encouragement to those still contemplating doing something for this Mega: be who you are and be proud of it! You're gonna get judged less by us strangers then by those who half-know you anyway!

I'm a bit unskilled as it is and trying to take a self portrait has resulted in ugly shadows all over my face that make me look like I belong in a police line-up for some drug bust! Laughing.gif I'm doing good to get an image that I can even work with. I really don't want the law pounding on my door because my image looks like someone's mug shot!rolleyes1.gif So... I ended up with something with more 'pleasing' shadows and went with my "Undercover Rebel" title. I guess I'm a closet Rebel because I always seem to be making waves. wave.gif Plus, I'm a southerner deep down... (rollll tide!) {the south shall rise again and all that rebel stuff... more like I just have a bit of a southern drawl..}
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    ...I'm a southerner deep down... (rollll tide!)

As a UGA Dawgs fan, can I just quickly offer you a...

Round the bowl,
    Down the hole,
    Roll Tide Roll.

...cheer.

ylsuper.gif
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    As a UGA Dawgs fan, can I just quickly offer you a...

Round the bowl,
    Down the hole,
    Roll Tide Roll.

...cheer.

ylsuper.gif

yeeeahhhhh baaaaaaby! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Phew... I just posted my entry (and about three extra files in the process). Sorry to any who managed to catch the chaotic mess I made while doing it (and more importantly to those that have to clean it up). Troubles with links and EXIF for this rookie.ne_nau.gif I hope I finally got it right :confused
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 31, 2012
    NelsonK wrote: »
    Phew... I just posted my entry (and about three extra files in the process). Sorry to any who managed to catch the chaotic mess I made while doing it (and more importantly to those that have to clean it up). Troubles with links and EXIF for this rookie.ne_nau.gif I hope I finally got it right :confused

looks like complete to me! Everything hunky dory!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thanks! Now I can relax and wait on pins and needles for another week...
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Just posted my entry! Joyce could you please take a look and make sure I'm within the rules for this one?
    I always get nervous when I use allot of images!

Thank you!!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Entry complete! What a blast, very fun... Good luck everyone. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    Just posted my entry! Joyce could you please take a look and make sure I'm within the rules for this one?
    I always get nervous when I use allot of images!

Thank you!!

Its up to everyone to go through the rules to see if they have it all done correctly. I saw your entry but have not gone to check your link and exif info. I will do that when its time for me to do that. Its up to you to be sure its a-ok.

I only commented on NelsonK's post because I had to go in an delete all the other extra images and as far as I looked (which wasn't past the gallery page), his looked like it complied to the rules. I really do not want to make it a thing were ppl ask me to check their entries before the challenge time is up, because its up to everyone to do their own work.

I hope this doesn't put anyone off, just that its gotta be fair to all that they check their own work to be sure it complies with the rules. I used to do that with all my work I submitted.deal.gif

Also if I miss something and tell someone its fine when its not, then I do not want it to come down to ppl thinking I am sabotaging them or something.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    Thanks Joyce. I completely understand! I feel pretty good that I'm ok.
    Jeromy
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    Yours appears to be set up exactly the way mine is. Link works, EXIF is viewable and dates are in the window. If yours isn't right, we'll both be in for a surprise. Nice work!
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Thanks Nelson! And ditto on the nice work! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    wow! only half of you have gotten your entries in! I hope the other half can get theirs in on time. Its really a fun challenge, I didn't scare you all away did I? :fish
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    wow! only half of you have gotten your entries in! I hope the other half can get theirs in on time. Its really a fun challenge, I didn't scare you all away did I? :fish

The competition is amazing ... I was thinking my entry isn't going to go to far and might need some spiffing up. Chewing on that idea for sure.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2012
    Exif questions
    So I finally entered a self-portrait / album cover and linked to the gallery with exif data for both of the images in the composite. Being a little insecure about this, I checked to see how others have done this and see lots of variety. Some have the full url to the exif data visible, one has an exif link for each individual image, etc.

So two questions:
    • Joyce, should we be concerned about how we link the exif data or just that we provide a link you can easily follow?
    • And would someone be willing to check my link and just verify that I've done it correctly?

Joyce, this was definitely a challenge but I appreciated the nudge to learn the basic technique of getting a self-portrait. :D

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    I think a link that I can easily follow to find all the exifs is fine. I prefer the ones that open in another window, but I wont count it against anyone if the link doesn't do that. I am not sure how to get it to do that anyway. Some open another window and some don't. If any computer wiz out there can give us heads up on how this is done that would be great!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    If any computer wiz out there can give us heads up on how this is done that would be great!

No need to be a computer wiz I have had the instructions available for everyone to use here:

The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS (DSS) Challenges (Quick links to all things official) README

Once you click on the link above find the link you see in the attached image. All the code is there, and it even opens in a new window. deal.gif

P.S. the link is actually a sticky that is at the top of the forum thumb.gif
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    I'm in!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    No need to be a computer wiz I have had the instructions available for everyone to use here:

The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS (DSS) Challenges (Quick links to all things official) README

Once you click on the link above find the link you see in the attached image. All the code is there, and it even opens in a new window. deal.gif

P.S. the link is actually a sticky that is at the top of the forum thumb.gif

Thanks Sean! I had forgotten that your link instructions did open in a new window. I have always used them and had even put the actual link format on a post it on my desk top in my computer so I could just grab it when needed. I hope others read this and use it as it does look alot cleaner in the gallery.thumb.gif
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2012

Your instructions were very helpful, and they explain that the "_blank" portion of the HTML code are what open the EXIF url in a new window. The one tip I would give someone trying this for the first time, is to be others is to be careful to retain the quotation marks before and after the URL when you paste it into the code. What I still had trouble understanding was how to link directly to the exif data:
    Here {---- is how to get the url to your EXIF data.

But I guess linking to the exif gallery will suffice for now, and I'll take another run at that some other time. :D

Joyce and Sean, thank you both for your help with this!

Gretchen
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    You are all doing a great job with these. Looks like so much fun!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    You are all doing a great job with these. Looks like so much fun!

I have been having a great time. There is nothing that says you can't do one of your own. :D I am on my third idea now and have a half dozen more that I won't have time for.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    I think it would be fun for anyone to try out the challenges that interest them and just post them on this forum just to get ideas and feedback for fun! You do not have to enter if you do not qualify, but if it adds enjoyment to your life then go for it! We would be interested to see it!