Options

Am I insane?

13»

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Congrats! So how much was it? I hope you got the $400 rebate? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

Oh, of course! It was that price drop which started me considering finally doing this for realz instead of just thinking about it (that and I've had busy enough autumn that the money is available even before I sell anything - timing is everything!). So $1799 with a 2% amazon cashback and 5% discovercard cashback as sweeteners, thus only a very little more than the refurb but new with a full warranty.

UPS says it's on the delivery truck so as long as they aren't slowed down because of the holiday yesterday, I'm guessing it will probably be here by lunchtime (our UPS shipments are usually late morning. Sadly, if they miss that round, they're not till after 5pm but here's hoping....) :D
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2012
    but for static subjects it is pretty much a non-issue as long as you realize what kind of edge the focus point is looking for.

Can you elaborate on that? For instance, if it says "vertical line point" does that mean it wants to latch on to something horizontal, or vertical? All pointers warmly welcomed!

Btw, I typically outer focus points for an *eye* ... what are the best ways of nailing that?
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that? For instance, if it says "vertical line point" does that mean it wants to latch on to something horizontal, or vertical? All pointers warmly welcomed!

Btw, I typically outer focus points for an *eye* ... what are the best ways of nailing that?

It is a vertical line point, which is sensitive to horizontal edges. So make sure the point is on a high-contrast horizontal edge. The eyelid should work, unless there is not enough light. At any rate, avoid trying to focus on a patch of skin, like a cheek. Make sure the point is actually on the eyelid.

Remember if you are shooting in portrait orientation, you need to look for an edge in the opposite direction (90 degree rotated).
    - Bill
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012

Reeeeaal simple litmus test: Go outside on a clear day, find a power line, and start trying to focus on it with your camera in different orientations. You'll find out pretty quick which direction the power line must intersect the AF point in order to lock.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Oh, of course! It was that price drop which started me considering finally doing this for realz instead of just thinking about it (that and I've had busy enough autumn that the money is available even before I sell anything - timing is everything!). So $1799 with a 2% amazon cashback and 5% discovercard cashback as sweeteners, thus only a very little more than the refurb but new with a full warranty.

UPS says it's on the delivery truck so as long as they aren't slowed down because of the holiday yesterday, I'm guessing it will probably be here by lunchtime (our UPS shipments are usually late morning. Sadly, if they miss that round, they're not till after 5pm but here's hoping....) :D

good deal, full frame options are getting better and better
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    (Oops - didn't realise how longwinded I was!! I reserve the right to come back and edit..... A post of the Mark Twain "I didn't have time to write you a short letter so I wrote you a long one instead" variety .... ;)

Figured I'd add to this in case anybody else is considering migrating to the 5dII during this last-gasp price drop (in fact, Ziggy, since this thread grew far beyond the conversational banter I expected, any point in changing subject line for search purposes? Feel free to amend if you deem it appropriate).

In any case, learning curve. Big, big, BIG learning curve. I've been shooting a crop sensor since I jumped from my film camera, and 80% of my technical knowledge has been gained since shooting digital (thank you dgrin iloveyou.gif) so it's definitely a significant change, much more so than jumping from crop body to crop body.

Things I have learned since the 5dII arrived on Tuesday:

Don't like's:
    - I miss the buttons and customizabilty of the 7d. I REALLY miss the "Q" button in particular - had to go googling to find out how to access it on the II (I could see it was there since it would flash up for me, but not how to get into it!! Finally got it now.).
    - I miss the *speed* of the 7d's AF, although I'm not sure I'd say there's much difference in accuracy so far - if anything, the opposite (read below)
    - I'm still finding the metering rather different and do miss the 7d's focus-linked meter. Once I'm used to how the II behaves and can anticipate readout vs result more consistently I'm sure I"ll be fine, but right now it means a change in my shooting rhythm as I learn to "read" this particular camera and choose settings accordingly. Even things like FEC are a bit different than I expect, so it requires me to shoot/chimp/reset more than I typically do. Feels like breaking in a new pair of shoes!

- Love the way it holds -the added width (without any added chunkiness) is a dream for my hands
    - The details and dynamic range are even better than I had hoped - just in love with the image quality. I'm quite surprised at how much greater the dynamic range seems to be since reading around I gather it and the 7d are just a smidgen difference. But, for whatever reason, I'm noticing the II much better able to give me the extremes without needing as much processing to tame them and/or bring out the details.
    - the crazy high ISO. Obviously, no news there since that's the camera's strength, but it's very fun to be able to go with 2000 or 2500 without even thinking about it.

Loves
    - DOF/Bokeh Oh.Muh.Guh. I knew it would be good, but I don't think I ever dreamed it would be THIS good iloveyou.gif
    - The way the sensor renders light is just *different*. Hardly news to anybody who has used FF, but it's even better than I had hoped it could be. It "sparkles" - with all of my lenses. Couldn't be happier with the IQ.
    - files seem to take less processing/editing to get them where I want them. I guess I've been trying for that FF look since I started shooting seriously; it's possible to emulate it on a crop sensor, but it does take more work in post. These files are there almost SOOC.

Now about that AF. It's definitely slower, no doubt about that - my 7d focuses almost as soon as I've thought about it, where the II has to think about it. However, I'm realising may not be such a bad thing for me, because it slows me down and makes me think a little bit more before I take the shot; it's a limitation, but one I think may actually turn out to be a benefit after a fashion when I'm shooting portraits.

Also - and this was surprising - even when I look at a shot on the LCD and think, "Crap - missed that one" when I get it on the computer I discover that the camera actually NAILED the focus for me (yes, even using the outer points). This is the opposite of my experience with the 7d where I'll look at it on the LCD and think it's great, then get it home and discover I missed focus. I'm shooting the same shallow DOF style with both cameras, fwiw. ne_nau.gif

In summary:

There is no doubt this decision has been a step backwards to go forward, but not always in a bad way. The 5dII makes me work harder to take the picture, but the results are consistently better. Whether that's because it demands more thought from me because the camera does less of the work for me, or because the IQ is just that much better I don't know, but there we have it. Very, very happy I took the plunge (and thank you to everybody who took the time to respond in this thread - really helped with my decision).

That said, I do miss enough features from the 7d that I will be watching prices on the III like a hawk, and as soon as it drops consistently to something more manageable will likely sell the 7d and the II to move up to it for the various features I find myself missing (I'll keep my xsi as backup). The 7d is an extraordinary camera, and to have the best of its features AND a FF sensor would be amazing. I understand now why people have been raving about it!

Thanks again, everybody!!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    - Love the way it holds -the added width (without any added chunkiness) is a dream for my hands

All 3.8mm of it? headscratch.gif
    That said, I do miss enough features from the 7d that I will be watching prices on the III like a hawk, and as soon as it drops consistently to something more manageable will likely sell the 7d and the II to move up to it for the various features I find myself missing (I'll keep my xsi as backup). The 7d is an extraordinary camera, and to have the best of its features AND a FF sensor would be amazing. I understand now why people have been raving about it!

Thanks again, everybody!!

Indeed the 5D3 is the best of the 7D and 5D2 and more. However I think you'll be waiting a while for that price drop (unless you happen to bag one of those freak undercutting deals from beach, etc on ebay), so it's probably best on your wallet you did this now. Like I said, when I had a 5D2 and 7D, I found myself using the 7D for sports and the 5D2 for everything else. It's a great combo if you have to have 2 bodies.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    All 3.8mm of it? headscratch.gif

I think it's just more rectangular vs the 7d's squarer shape. Whatever the reason, it's super for my hand size (not that the 7d is bad, but I was expecting the 5 to feel bigger and it doesn't)

Indeed the 5D3 is the best of the 7D and 5D2 and more. However I think you'll be waiting a while for that price drop (unless you happen to bag one of those freak undercutting deals from beach, etc on ebay), so it's probably best on your wallet you did this now. Like I said, when I had a 5D2 and 7D, I found myself using the 7D for sports and the 5D2 for everything else. It's a great combo if you have to have 2 bodies.

Yeah, I reckon it will be next year sometime, and that's fine - I now have two wonderful bodies that cover pretty much everything I do; even if I were just to shoot these two into the ground I'd be well set up. Very glad I've made the move when I have. thumb.gif
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    I know this is Dgrin and not Fgrin, but have you considered a film camera?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    I know this is Dgrin and not Fgrin, but have you considered a film camera?

Not a chance. Although I loved shooting film when that's what we had, everything really "clicked" for me when I jumped to digital. I might not find that so much the case now I actually have some technique in my head (as opposed to *having* to rely on an LCD screen), but I can't imagine going back to film, and that's before we even start talking about the convenience of instant images and and expense of developing and materials...

I do love the look, though. There's a headshot and wedding photographer in Ohio who now does a lot of film as well as digital and boy, those images are *stunning*.