Options

My custom domain is dead at the moment

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited August 27, 2013 in SmugMug Support
http://www.openbloom.com/

Can you see it? It's not working for me. I can get to my smugmug page at openbloom.smugmug.com but not by the custom name of www.openbloom.com

Is it working for you if you try my custom name? Not sure what's going on. I checked my Yahoo Domains account where I bought the name and the account still looks ok and is paid and up to date. I also verified my settings here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340

It was working just this morning....

Comments

• Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    I'm seeing this in Chrome when I try to go to www.openbloom.com

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.
    Reference #9.9f0a44d8.1377007077.1c687177

And I'm actually seeing the same problem on my mobile phone, using AT&T's service....not wi-fi.

Is there some localized DNS problem in my area, possibly? Does my page still load for you?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Definitely local to you. Working fine here.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Whew.....good to know :-) OK then, I'll just be patient and let the problem resolve itself.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Actually it fails for me in Google Chrome but works ok in IE10. I seem to remember someone a few days ago having the same problem but it sorted itself out in a bit.

edit: and 2 mins later it works in Chrome as well :) - weird
  • Options
    nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    a great website for testing if a site is down is http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Saved me from making calls a few times
    nine22.smugmug.com
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    It's not working for me. Your domain name is correctly resolving to SmugMug, which is where your responsibility ends, so I'm pretty sure the problem is on SmugMug's end (or at least Akamai's caching servers):
    Server:		8.8.8.8
    Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.openbloom.com	canonical name = domains.smugmug.com.
    domains.smugmug.com	canonical name = domains.smugmug.com.mdc.edgesuite.net.
    domains.smugmug.com.mdc.edgesuite.net	canonical name = a1170.b.akamai.net.
    Name:	a1170.b.akamai.net
    Address: 23.15.14.11
    Name:	a1170.b.akamai.net
    Address: 23.15.14.32

It could be that some of Akamai's edge servers have a copy of your website, and some don't, which would lead to some of us being able to see your site and some not, depending on what region of the country/world we're in. This is the error message that Akamai is returning to me here in New Zealand:
    HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
    Server: AkamaiGHost
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 193
    Expires: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:40:31 GMT
    Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:40:31 GMT
    Connection: Keep-Alive

<HTML><HEAD>
    <TITLE>Invalid URL</TITLE>
    </HEAD><BODY>
    <H1>Invalid URL</H1>
    The requested URL "/", is invalid.<p>
    Reference #9.70e0f17.1377009749.3cfa7f48
    </BODY></HTML>

Your custom domain name is definitely set correctly in your SmugMug settings?

EDIT: And it's working again for me now! It's possible that I'm just ping-ponging between different cache servers.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    It's working now for me.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Short-lived....dead again (for me) for some reason. Bummer...
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I'll post to this thread because I'm having a problem today also. On FF clicking go to legacy takes me to a blank page. It works fine in Chrome.

I forgot my DG PW and when I clicked one of the links along the way to log in with the new, one, I got a blank page on FF (for Digital Grin). This works in Chrome, which is where I'm posting to the forum right now.

I'm using FF 22.0, and it also tells me there are updates available - but when I click to go get them, I get a 303 error page with a "material moved here" link, and when I go there I get this:

[don't click this, it's FYI]
    https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/?utm_source=firefox-com&utm_medium=referral

So this is a myriad of weirdnesses.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    kygarden wrote: »

It is down for me as well, in Firefox. Is it a new domain?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    The fix: I had to use Chrome to download the new version of FF, 23.0.1, and now all links and actions are working. :crazy :crazy
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I'll post to this thread because I'm having a problem today also. On FF clicking go to legacy takes me to a blank page. It works fine in Chrome.

I forgot my DG PW and when I clicked one of the links along the way to log in with the new, one, I got a blank page on FF (for Digital Grin). This works in Chrome, which is where I'm posting to the forum right now.

I'm using FF 22.0, and it also tells me there are updates available - but when I click to go get them, I get a 303 error page with a "material moved here" link, and when I go there I get this:

[don't click this, it's FYI]
    https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/?utm_source=firefox-com&utm_medium=referral

So this is a myriad of weirdnesses.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013

The reason I asked is that your domain appears not to be propagated at all DNS servers:
    http://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/www.openbloom.com
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Well it's working again right now :-) Not sure what the issue is but I assume it'll be working normally soon.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Has anyone heard any news about this in general? Any tech news sites reporting anything about DNS problems? My site is up and down, using the www.openbloom.com name. Works fine with http://openbloom.smugmug.com name. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    This is how my Yahoo control panel is setup now. It's been set this way for years and has worked fine until just now. Some really strange problems going on today with the site being available via the openbloom.com name one minute and not available the next.....sporadically throughout the day.

i-LtnBp4N-X2.jpg
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Yahoo DNS problems, sorry! Nothing we can do here unfortunately. There were a handful of domains we saw with this problem today, all used Yahoo DNS. Try contacting Yahoo? http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Yahoo DNS problems, sorry! Nothing we can do here unfortunately. There were a handful of domains we saw with this problem today, all used Yahoo DNS. Try contacting Yahoo? http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/

Ok, I'll contact them.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    By the way, if I were to move this to godaddy/smugmug.....what are the general steps to move it? Maybe I'll move it to godaddy (the smugmug preferred partner?) when it's convenient.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    By the way, if I were to move this to godaddy/smugmug.....what are the general steps to move it? Maybe I'll move it to godaddy (the smugmug preferred partner?) when it's convenient.

Check out this help page

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/97997-how-do-i-transfer-my-domain-to-smugmug-
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Amazing....the guy at Yahoo (in Portland) just claimed that it's SmugMug's problem because there's an engineer there at Yahoo he talked to while I was on hold and he said he has a smugmug account to and it was only not working in Firefox and therefore it's a smugmug problem, not Yahoo. I think they're crazy. I just tried it and it's dead for me in all 3 browsers...IE, Firefox and Chrome. I think I'll just work on moving my domain to godaddy this evening.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I really don't see how this could be your domain provider's problem, given that nslookup shows that your CNAME to domains.smugmug.com is correctly in place. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be getting an Akamai error.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Our ops guys looked into nearly 10 domains that had errors like the OP. They were all Yahoo DNS. All of them had erratic behavior across the entire country in all types of browsers. Gotta be a Yahoo problem. Hopefully they figure it out soon.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    PrairiefotoPrairiefoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2013
    Mine is dead in IE as well (www.prairiefoto.ca)

Works in Chrome and safari though.
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Mine is dead in IE as well (www.prairiefoto.ca)

Works in Chrome and safari though.

Working fine for me here. Safari on the iPad and FF/IE on my desktop.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Any idea how long it 'normally' takes to transfer a domain? I had some initial trouble because my info was private on Yahoo so I had to make it public for a short time so godaddy could see the email address to send mail to me for the authorization. Once I did that, it took about 30 minutes for my email address to show up and then I was able to get the email from godaddy. That was yesterday evening around 8pm eastern. Right now, the transfer status is pending approval and it says it could take up to 7 days. Does it really take a few days?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    I know it seems like a Yahoo problem, but I'm curious about this. See below. I do see the smugmug icon in the browser window....so does that mean I'm actually making it to smugmug and the trouble is really there somehow? If the trouble was with Yahoo, would I even see those smugmug icons on the page? This is with a fresh browser window and all cookies, etc cleared out before trying to go to my site. My assumption is that I wouldn't even see those smugmug icons on the browser window unless it was actually able to get to smugmug first to download those images. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just thought I'd mention this in case it helps....

i-ST5kKpr-X2.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Your site is working fine for me here in NY.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Your site is working fine for me here in NY.

It works fine for me too....sporadically. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Also....when it's not working (like right now), I can do a tracert and the trace makes it all the way to smugmug...even though my site is dead. These are the last 2 lines of the trace:

9 95 ms 103 ms 106 ms SMUGMUG.gigabitethernet3-35.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.214.196.246]
    10 97 ms 96 ms 96 ms smugmug.com [208.79.45.23]

Trace complete.

Edit: It comes and goes. Working again now. Up and down....over and over :-(