Options

Question about Right Click Protection/Google Image Search

Comments

• Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Ask me what? ear.gif
    :D How you got a site sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz which is to see when navigating to http://www.moonriverphotography.com/sitemap-index.xml
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    I don't see where you are getting the 400+ number from unless you are just estimating what you are seeing on the page. By switching to 'basic view' you get back to the old version of GIS which gives you a total number. As far as I can see it is just the same GIS but with a different interface. If you do search for something like 'landscapes' you get the same images in the same order appearing. I think there is some confusion here. As far as I can see when in GIS I have 4000 odd images today
    When using "site: photos.miseast.org" I get not more than five pages with 10 to 19-20 pics per row in GIS. Depending on their resolution. And of course I didn't count them but estimated positively 400 here.

And I get 20 images per page in basic view - I get 19 pages only. 20 x 19 = 380? 380 / 400?
    How would I be able to find image # 3.999?

Go to page 19 in basic view. It will tell something like "page 19 from 375 results" whereas the other pages are telling "page 1 or 18 from 4.080 results" ;)
    375 / 400 ;)
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Go to page 19 in basic view. It will tell something like "page 19 from 375 results" whereas the other pages are telling "page 1 or 18 from 4.080 results" ;)
    375 / 400 ;)
    Interesting difference. Never seen that before
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    :D How you got a site sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz which is to see when navigating to http://www.moonriverphotography.com/sitemap-index.xml
    SM generates my sitemaps. I don't do anything ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Well it appears not all sites are site-mapped equally....no offense intended:wow
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Here is text from the "sitemap question" url above:

Feb-20-2011, 03:29 AM
    /sitemap-galleries.xml.gz
    /sitemap-index.xml
    /sitemap-base.xml.gz
    /sitemap-images.xml.gz

All is with green checkmarks now. Thank you smugmug for support in this. :)

And in 2013 it seems we only have index and base?????????? Except Andy who still has an images at least. What am I missing?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    SM generates my sitemaps. I don't do anything ne_nau.gif
    Thanks. How much did you pay? ;)

Is my feeling right, that SM generate them manually and I would have to ask them to do so for me?. Every two weeks or every month? I asked this before in this forum but never get an answer, so I have to believe something is going on here.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I just looked up sitemaps for about 10 Heros. Only 2 or 3 had image maps. This was sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz

In 2011 some smuggers had:
    /sitemap-index.xml
    /sitemap-base.xml.gz
    /sitemap-images.xml.gz

Can we be told why something we had in 2011 now we don't? Possible changes to format of the sitemap standard? And is SM not up to date on these standards? Or is there a reason SM is not providing them?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Well it appears not all sites are site-mapped equally....no offense intended:wow
    Thanks. How much did you pay? ;)

Is my feeling right, that SM generate them manually and I would have to ask them to do so for me?. Every two weeks or every month? I asked this before in this forum but never get an answer, so I have to believe something is going on here.
    I just looked up sitemaps for about 10 Heros. Only 2 or 3 had image maps. This was sitemap-galleryimages.xml.gz

In 2011 some smuggers had:
    /sitemap-index.xml
    /sitemap-base.xml.gz
    /sitemap-images.xml.gz

Can we be told why something we had in 2011 now we don't? Possible changes to format of the sitemap standard? And is SM not up to date on these standards? Or is there a reason SM is not providing them?

Yikes. Yes, we need a few official answers here. This is a bit disturbing!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Interesting difference. Never seen that before
    Surprise, surprise! GIS has visited my site last night and now there at least 30 images indexed ;)
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Before going to bed at 2:30am last night, I pulled a few random pro wedding photographer sites urls (not SmugMug) and ran them through the sitemap routine and none of them had sitemaps! So, at least we (most, some) have the basic base map. If the standard has more maps (especially image maps) we should be having those, too. There was a post (maybe in that archive sitemap thread) where a guy said the SEO and sitemaps really didn't mean much together. If so, then why would the Search Engines have them and have a Standards committee?:D

Cheers guys and gals, surely SM will come to our rescue. I know their hands are full after the new release. Just keeping this SEO issue alive!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Before going to bed at 2:30am last night, I pulled a few random pro wedding photographer sites urls (not SmugMug) and ran them through the sitemap routine and none of them had sitemaps! So, at least we (most, some) have the basic base map. If the standard has more maps (especially image maps) we should be having those, too. There was a post (maybe in that archive sitemap thread) where a guy said the SEO and sitemaps really didn't mean much together. If so, then why would the Search Engines have them and have a Standards committee?:D
    It must have been this post.
    Well, sitemaps might not be a SEO tool, but having one (and let crawlers know about it) doesn't harm and in some cases it is mandatory. Imagine a site on which subfolders/sub-content is not linked on the "homepage", nor to each other. No menu, no next/forward button.

Something like domainanme.tld/home and domainanme.tld/forum, domainanme.tld/mamas_home.

So some need to tell spiders about the site structure by a sitemap otherwise they won't "see" the last two. Oversimplified expressed.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Google Webmaster Verification
    edit:if you haven't done so already make sure you sign up for Google Webmaster tools and make sure that it can see your sitemap. As I understand this should happen automatically but I found that it wasn't in Webmaster Tools so I added it by hand (the file is generated automatically byt Smugmug though)
    Seems SM really did some work lately. Just saw that they added the possibility to apply the Google Webmaster verification code to a site. -> Account Settings -> Discovery -> Search -> scroll down -> Google Webmaster Tools.
    Well done SM Heroes ;)

EDIT: NEW SMUGMUG only
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ha! Is it just me or not? I go to the place Jorg says and click on the url for the Webmaster Tools and it takes me to a Georgia Southern University MyAPPS page even though the url looks correct at the bottom left of my Chrome Browser!!!! ??? I know I can get there manually, but what's up with that redirect?

EDIT: Ok, cleared Chrome browser data and I get in. Weird!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Google for NEW USERS ONLY????
    Well, well, well. I clicked in the "What's this about" and got the following. Notice it SAYS for "New SmugMug Accounts Only". eek7.gifhuhne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ok, I feel dumb. I cannot figure how to get to the page to get that data to put in the field. Been to Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics... Perhaps that screen pops up if you JUST created a new account on GOOGLE. Google tells me I have an account for my site and it is verified. So, perhaps this IS just for New SmugMuggers - like it says. BUT you would not know that if you didn't click on What's This". Or am I just being really dumb about right now? (That happens sometimes!)
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Home Page Meta description
    Well, y'all. I had this on my site forever. Can someone kick me and let me know what a better way to use this field is?

Massive # of photography images from mostly the Southeastern USA (is what is there right now).
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ok, I feel dumb. I cannot figure how to get to the page to get that data to put in the field. Been to Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics... Perhaps that screen pops up if you JUST created a new account on GOOGLE. Google tells me I have an account for my site and it is verified. So, perhaps this IS just for New SmugMuggers - like it says. BUT you would not know that if you didn't click on What's This". Or am I just being really dumb about right now? (That happens sometimes!)
    It used to be that you needed to include Google Analytics code in the head tag of your site. Smug changed several years back to support adding your google analytics code in your account settings. If you already have a google analytics code for your smug site just pick it up from your analytics page and place it in the Google Analytics field in your account settings.

As far as I know placing your Google Analytics code in your account settings is the only way to log the code on your smug site now.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 22, 2013
    Well, y'all. I had this on my site forever. Can someone kick me and let me know what a better way to use this field is?

Massive # of photography images from mostly the Southeastern USA (is what is there right now).
    That text is shown when someone does a search - it that what you want it to say? Or would you prefer something that describes your work? Or?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    They need to change the wording in the "What's This" help code then. Still thinking my code is already added somewhere else (like through the Legacy system).

I have a Google Analytics code and my Analytics is connected to the Webmaster Tools. I still cannot find anything as listed on the New SM Account, Discovery, Webmaster Tools where it wants an HTML Tag method in Analytics or Webmaster. I have no idea if my Analytics Code UA-########-# was generated using the HTML Tag method. I am afraid to place it in the new box in case it messes it all up. I think we need better instructions in the use of that field and better instructions of exactly where to get it. Currently, the What's This shows a page but not how to get to that specific page. SM's gotta realize that many of us are not up on what all this means and are not familiar with all the things in Analytics and Webmaster Tools. I mean, I'm kinda up on it and I am confused.

And adding to the confusion, ESPECIALLY if I have previously added my tracking code to SmugMug legacy, there is this instruction in Webmaster Tools: "your tracking code must use the new asynchronous snippet". Like any general photographer knows what that means. Clicking on "asynchronous snippet" gives the following:

"BEFORE YOU BEGIN: To set up tracking, you need to have access to the source code for your website. If you're already tracking your website using an older tracking snippet, remove that snippet from each page before you add the new one. If you have customizations you want to add back to your pages after you add the new snippet, you can use a text or HTML editor to open and save a copy of each file."

So, how do we know whether SM has done all this for us - tend to doubt it seriously if WE have to provide the code. And if this is true, why were we not notified - someone just happened to stumble on the new Google Code place (Jorg). Following Webmaster Tools continuing pages on the new vs old code takes you to places you never wanted to be. So, since we cannot access the HEAD area, we are totally under SM's ability to understand all this and get it right. My next post will shed some shadows on this capability.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Did a little home work on the Hero's and other SM company websites getting their sitemap-index file (which anyone can do - not being sneaky). The results seem eye opening to me. Most do not have a galleryimage.xml file. Some have multiple galleryimage files. A few index's are just blank even though they have a website. One person's last update was in 2011. One has the file structure names that I am thinking were previous to 2011. Many of the updates to the files that ARE there are months old at best. A few I noticed were updated yesterday and today. Quite frankly, I don't see how we have a prayer. I am listing this data here hoping that some smart Hero will pick it up and figure out exactly what is going on. I would expect ALL our files to be consistent if the proper data is in our Header for our sitemap-index file or whereever that stuff is suppose to be. Here is the data I found:

Went to this site to gather details - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51634

Don MacAskill - base
    Baldy - base
    Toni MacAskill - base
    Andy Williams - base, galleryimages
    Craig Meakin - base
    Lee Shepard - base
    Mark MacAskill - base
    Markham Bennet - base, galleryimages
    David Parry - base
    Anne McBean - base, galleryimages-0,galleryimages-1, galleryimages-2, galleryimages-3
    Dustin Worthen - base
    Robin MacAskill - base, galleryimages
    Barb Gates - base
    Steve Cavigliano - BLANK (and get SMugMug can't find page)
    Steve Mills - base, galleryimages
    Seth Saupan - base
    Rich Wilson - base, galleryimages
    Sebastian Hosche - base
    Sam Nichols - base, galleryimages
    Doc Walker - base, galleryimages
    Tristan Tom - base
    Wendee Stevens - BLANK (but has website)
    Lindy Wilson - shows Rich Wilson's homepage!
    Kim MacAskill - BLANK (but has website)
    Meghan MacAskill - base
    Nick Wrzesinski - base, galleryimages
    Steph Theune - base
    Kevin Harrington - base
    Zac Williams - base
    Chris Abbey - base, galleryimages
    Eric Trimble - base
    Beth Nichols - base, galleries(not galleryimages), images -Has one empty gallery created 2008 (last mods to all three in 2011)
    Sean Rogan - base
    Scott Philips - BLANK (and get SMugMug can't find page)
    Samuel Stevens - Blank (but has website)
    Oliver Williams - base, galleryimages
    Brian Strong - base
    Ann McRae - base
    Josh Lawson - base
    Christina Dale - base
    Anthony Worthen - base, galleryimages (BOTH UPDATED YESTERDAY)
    Tyree Philips - base
    Kevin Wilson - base
    Travis Theune - base, galleryimages
    Denise Gamboa - base (UPDATED TODAY)
    Mikka Skaffari - base
    Eric Petruno - base, galleryimages-0, galleryimages-1 (all updated 07/13)
    Ryan Welling - base
    Dustin Bess - base

See what I mean?

Ok, 14 have a gallerysimage file while 28 do not. So, most do not have it.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    @Denise - just wondering if I need data in there that search engines will equate better to what my site is about. Like, is that too little data? Does not seem appropriate to add a bunch of keywords in it!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    If I would be you, I would add a new website to Webmasters tool and GA. I might be not up to date: have you unveiled already? If not the new site is hidden and it would not be possible to finish verification.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    So, since we cannot access the HEAD area, we are totally under SM's ability to understand all this and get it right.
    The new field in the account setting are doing this for us.
    Here some content of the head elements of my site:
    <meta itemprop="image" content="http://joerglingnau.smugmug.com/photos/i-2mMSVjF/0/L/i-2mMSVjF-L.jpg"/&gt;
    <meta itemprop="url" content="http://joerglingnau.smugmug.com"/&gt;
    <meta name="google-site-verification" content="6IgmItxErz6r8MNJ2-B7bxFxtNclTjcmxYqx08JT8mc"/>
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Not unveiled yet
    Okay, than no verification.
    I was a irritated, because I thought you have an entry in webmaster tools for your old site already, assuming it was possible with the old design. But I can see in the header of you old site, that this is not the case.

So you have to wait until you unveil. If ever. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Add to confusion. I was wondering in previous post about where to find the "Google Code" for the new site. Found the help that said it was for the New Smuggers, etc. Obviously, I had no code in that field or I would not have pursued finding the code. Just went back and looked at account data in Legacy. It looks just like the New System now except the New system has a Statcounter field (which I just signed up for last night and populated the two fields). Saw I DID have the Google code in the Google field in legacy - the EU-########-# I mentioned earlier. For get when I signed up for that but it was before rollout of New SM. So, I just went back into PREVIEW SM and low and behold, the Google field has the number from legacy in the Google field. I did not do that!!!! So, looks like SM is doing SOMETHING related to these posts on SEO.

SO, is that Google number the "new" asynchronous or the old whatever it was? I have no idea. Jorg, you say you are seeing stuff in your unveiled header that is not in mine (legacy is all you can see). So, I am getting so confused. All I know is that yesterday my Google number was not in PREVIEW and today it is. Magic!

Any Hero want to shed light on what SM is up to? Kinda tired of us users spending so much time tracking this stuff down in the dark.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Aehm. Can it be that you mix up GA and Webmaster Tools? ;)

New Smugmug:
    Account Settings -> Stats
    here are the boxes in which Google Analytics and (new) Statcounters ID's can be applied
    GA codes starts with "UA-...." and easy to spot in the source code of a site.

Account Settings -> Discovery -> Search
    Here is a new box for the Webmaster Tools Verification code to find - the code looks similar to this:
    <meta name="google-site-verification" content="6IgmItxErz6r8MNJ2-B7bxFxtNclTjcmxYqx08JT8mc" />
    when applied, it is to see in the source code of a site.

Old Smugmug:
    I would expect, that a GA code would be taken over even to the preview of an unveiled site (since its more or less a copy of the old content)

Reading the source code of your site, you only have GA enabled.
    Whereas Allen's old site shows Webmaster Tools code as well.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Aehm. Can it be that you mix up GA and Webmaster Tools? ;)

New Smugmug:
    Account Settings -> Stats
    here are the boxes in which Google Analytics and (new) Statcounters ID's can be applied
    GA codes starts with "UA-...." and easy to spot in the source code of a site.

Account Settings -> Discovery -> Search
    Here is a new box for the Webmaster Tools Verification code to find - the code looks similar to this:

when applied, it is to see in the source code of a site.

Old Smugmug:
    I would expect, that a GA code would be taken over even to the preview of an unveiled site (since its more or less a copy of the old content)

Reading the source code of your site, you only have GA enabled.
    Whereas Allen's old site shows Webmaster Tools code as well.

Geeeeeezzzzzzzz. I finally found the place to get the WT code. Actually found the top line of the below first and almost used it. Rechecked what you said to expect to find and stopped. Had to click on something that made me think I shouldn't but did anyway and there it was. Here is what I found:

<meta name="verify-v1" content="grmCqGCaV8aKq09Ma8qM+EHuqudJVUo97wMDLenDPIU=" />

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="6ueJl9uI223o97MLqRedwJ0AhnoM8TeYM4gVbDgVKHs" />

I don't see how the general public with no coding background could have a clue how to get aal this done right. Maybe I was being dumb, but geeeeez. So, Now I have the proper HTML Tag code in PREVIEW. Well maybe not. There are two places that have that code: one has coding and one is txt without the code(css). Just reentered the entire string which includes the "<meta name=..... Not verifying me yet...so waiting and reverifying...still nothing yet. Will try later. Here is the failed message. (and will post another post with what is in my account setting on SM.