Options

My custom domain is dead at the moment

13»

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    There is something strange with your DNS settings, as www.openbloom.com return different results to openbloom.com, which would indicate something going on with your CNAME record. They should obviously be identical.

No, that is the SmugMug recommended configuration (openbloom.com resolves to 208.79.45.23, which is SmugMug's webserver which will just redirect the browser to www.openbloom.com). Then www.openbloom.com has a CNAME pointing to domains.smugmug.com.

Kygarden: I would try changing your Custom Domain name in your SmugMug settings to something else, then changing it back. That may cause SmugMug to update your site configuration at Akamai and flush out those broken entries.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Dead right. Sorry I set mine up a while ago and thought that they both resolved to the same place.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Kygarden: I would try changing your Custom Domain name in your SmugMug settings to something else, then changing it back. That may cause SmugMug to update your site configuration at Akamai and flush out those broken entries.

Thanks. I'll do that again right now....but I did try that sometime yesterday too. Can't hurt to do it again ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Oh? At this point I really think a SmugMug engineer needs to take one of your error reference numbers to Akamai and figure out why that caching server rejected the request. Akamai should have request logging that will let them know what the actual issue is.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Oh? At this point I really think a SmugMug engineer needs to take one of your error reference numbers to Akamai and figure out why that caching server rejected the request. Akamai should have request logging that will let them know what the actual issue is.

Yep. I've sent smugmug support all the info I've been posting here. I removed my custom domain name on my smugmug account page and saved it....checked the openbloom link and got the error message from SM saying it can't find what I'm looking for (which is what I'd expect when the domain name is removed) and then re-entered and saved it...then it loaded correctly again. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it'll stay working now, going forward.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Just tried your site and worked fine for me on Mac and Chrome.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Just tried your site and worked fine for me on Mac and Chrome.

It's dead again for me now :-( SM support claims it's a problem with Go Daddy DNS, yet I was not a Go Daddy customer until Andy or Zac told me it was Yahoo's problem, so I switched to Go Daddy....but my transfer of the domain was not officially transferred until yesterday. I"m still trying to find out what's up.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    I checked my site with urlm.co/www.southeasternphotography.com and got the following (didn't let me just copy the stuff I wanted)(shows me using the Akamai Servers):

Southeasternphotography.com Go to site >>
    Southeasternphotography is ranked 4,534,420 in the United States. 'Southeastern Photography - © Troup Nightingale.'
    AnalysisVisitorsLinksServer
    Rank in United States
    Worldwide Rank

Monthly pages viewed 6,804
    Monthly visits 1,526
    Value per visitor $0.05
    Estimated worth $1,730.48 *
    External links 27
    Number of pages 3
    Keywords
    Unavailable
    Country Rank
    Unavailable
    *Estimated data, read disclaimer.
    Last Updated: 08/21/2013

southeasternpowersports.net Lawrenceville Honda Yamaha, Honda, Yamaha
    southeasternpowersports.net Football Score, Sports Trivia, Fantasy Sports, Sports Headline
    southeasternpreps.com
    southeasternproducts.comFireworks Display Company, Pyro, Shows, Special Effects, | SC, NC, GA, AL, TN
    southeasternpyrotechnics.comSoutheastern Railway - A commuters blog
    southeasternrailway-forum.co.uk
    Visitors
    Traffic History 90 Day Average
    Worldwide Rank 6,932,573 -3,479,264
    Daily Visitors 30 +40%
    Daily Visitors Rank 6,545,368 -2,499,934
    Daily Pageviews 0 +110%
    Daily Pageviews Rank 8,306,373 -4,660,529
    Pageviews Per User 1.40 +40%
    www.Southeasternphotography.com
    Browsing the site, we can see that there are pages about, Galleries, Slideshow Images, Recent Images, Guestbook, Gear, Portfolio, Nature, Boats, and Landscapes.
    Content
    Some of the 10 pages on the site, include, "Southeastern Photography - © Troup Nightingale," and "The Trumpy Yacht "Drifter" - Southeastern Photography - © Troup."
    33 users visit the site each day, each viewing 1.40 pages.

Links
    Links in
    maritimesalvagerecover.. Maritimesalvagerecovery
    Server
    Server Location
    Akamai Technologies
    Massachusetts
    Cambridge
    United States
    42.3933, -71.1333
    Map data ©2013 Google - Terms of Use
    dns235.c.register.com, dns239.b.register.com, and dns249.d.register.com are some of its 4 Nameservers. It is hosted by Akamai Technologies (Massachusetts, Cambridge,) using Apache web server. SmugMug/0.9 is its coding language environment. Pinging the server, resulted in a 11.7 ms response. Southeasternphotography.com's server IP number is 23.1.52.77.
    PING e1021.c.akamaiedge.net (184.50.228.77) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from a184-50-228-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (184.50.228.77): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 11.7 ms
    64 bytes from a184-50-228-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (184.50.228.77): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 11.6 ms
    64 bytes from a184-50-228-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (184.50.228.77): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 11.6 ms
    --- e1021.c.akamaiedge.net ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2000ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.612/11.654/11.736/0.105 ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.612/11.654/11.736/0.105 ms
    Server Setup
    Server: Apache
    Expires: --
    Cache-Control: private, max-age=1, must-revalidate
    X-S: 27.241:13560
    X-Powered-By: SmugMug/0.9
    X-SmugMug-Hiring: How to love what you do: www.smugmug.com/jobs/
    X-SmugMug-Values: 2/4 - Love your employees
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    Date: --
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Connection: keep-alive
    Connection: Transfer-Encoding

Got this for yours - Notice this string difference - maybe it will help - PING e1021.c.akamaiedge.net ##########):

Openbloom.com Go to site >>
    Openbloom is ranked 5,124,068 in the United States. 'www.openbloom.com - Photography - Nature, Landscapes, Travel and More.'
    AnalysisVisitorsLinksServer
    Rank in United States
    Worldwide Rank

Monthly pages viewed 4,536
    Monthly visits 765
    Value per visitor $0.07
    Estimated worth $1,294.98 *
    External links 19
    Number of pages 18
    Keywords
    Unavailable
    Country Rank
    Unavailable
    *Estimated data, read disclaimer.
    Last Updated: 08/20/2013

openbluelab.org NetSuite CRM, Microsoft CRM, Maximizer CRM
    openbluelab.org 0 comments, Miktex Portable Version, 4:05 PM, 0 comments
    openboilers.blogspot.com
    openboltguns.blogspot.comOpen Book Company Library Services Ltd. Bookshop Home
    openbook.ieOpen Book Books, Writing and Reading
    openbook.net.au
    Visitors
    Traffic History 90 Day Average
    Worldwide Rank 4,158,006 -712,926
    Daily Visitors 62 +30%
    Daily Visitors Rank 3,885,141 -978,864
    Daily Pageviews 0 +2%
    Daily Pageviews Rank 5,265,807 -249,228
    Pageviews Per User 1.50 -20%
    www.Openbloom.com
    There are links labelled, Galleries, Nature & Landscapes, Creative & Other Subjects, Travel - Places, Animals & Insects, Vacation And Short Trips, Gear, and Etc.
    Content
    Some of the 60 pages on the site, include, "openbloom.com - Photography - Nature, Landscapes, Travel and More," "Panasonic LX3 Gallery - openbloom.com - Photography - Nature," and "Nikon 1 V1 Gallery - openbloom.com - Photography - Nature."
    The site has about 68 users daily, viewing on average 1.50 pages each.

Links
    Links out
    smugmug.com Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here. | SmugMug
    smugmug.com Photo Sharing & Video Hosting. Browse more than 1,648,662,883
    dpreview.com Nikon D700 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    dpreview.com Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital
    Server
    Server Location
    Akamai Technologies
    Massachusetts
    Cambridge
    United States
    42.3933, -71.1333
    Map data ©2013 Google - Terms of Use
    It has 4 nameservers, including ns9.san.yahoo.com, yns1.yahoo.com, and yns2.yahoo.com. Its IP Number is 23.0.20.77. A ping to the server is timed at 11.4 ms. The programming language environment is SmugMug/0.9. It is hosted by Akamai Technologies (Massachusetts, Cambridge,) using Apache web server.
    PING e1021.c.akamaiedge.net (23.1.164.77) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from a23-1-164-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (23.1.164.77): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 11.4 ms
    64 bytes from a23-1-164-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (23.1.164.77): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 11.3 ms
    64 bytes from a23-1-164-77.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (23.1.164.77): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 11.5 ms
    --- e1021.c.akamaiedge.net ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.371/11.427/11.510/0.105 ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.371/11.427/11.510/0.105 ms
    Server Setup
    Server: Apache
    Expires: --
    Cache-Control: private, max-age=1, must-revalidate
    X-S: 27.229:29289
    X-Powered-By: SmugMug/0.9
    X-SmugMug-Hiring: How to love what you do: www.smugmug.com/jobs/
    X-SmugMug-Values: 1/4 - Thrill your customers
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    Date: --
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Connection: keep-alive
    Connection: Transfer-Encoding

Mine has been working fine non-stop the whole time of your troubles.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    I checked my site with urlm.co/www.southeasternphotography.com and got the following (didn't let me just copy the stuff I wanted)(shows me using the Akamai Servers):

Is my www.openbloom.com still working for you at this moment? Seems to be dependent on where people are if they see it working or not.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    kygarden wrote: »
    It's dead again for me now :-( SM support claims it's a problem with Go Daddy DNS

Hahaha, they really don't have a clue, do they? I wonder what their explanation is for the problem occurring while your domain provably resolves to domains.smugmug.com, taking it utterly out of the hands of your DNS provider.

Sorry, it looks like you're not going to get this solved.
  • Options
    shandrewshandrew Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 33 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 26, 2013
    While I can't tell exactly what you changed on the DNS end without your help, the whois record lists the last change on openbloom.com as 26-aug-2013, and DNS for openbloom.com shows a 28800 TTL, meaning that it'll take up to that many seconds for other DNS providers to expire their cache of previous DNS entries for it. Furthermore, if your previous DNS had larger TTL settings, those may be cached for even longer. If there was a gap in the time between when the domain was being transferred (i.e. you didn't have DNS service on both registrars during the transition period), the domain may have had cached a no-DNS result. Different customers will see different results depending on what result their local DNS has cached under openbloom.com.

After that TTL period is over, if you're seeing some error that begins with "Reference #[some number], send that to Bonocore and he'll be happy to investigate!

If you know your way around a command line, you could run "ping openbloom.com" and "ping www.openbloom.com" from your local computer and post the results here.
    I work at SmugMug but these opinions are usually my own.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    shandrew wrote: »
    Different customers will see different results depending on what result their local DNS has cached under openbloom.com.

I'm sorry, but customer's DNS caches are completely irrelevant here. OP has already provided Wireshark traces which demonstrate that in their local DNS cache, their domain name www.openbloom.com correctly resolves a CNAME to domains.smugmug.com. That's the end of anything to do with his domain name in his local cache, the rest is entirely due to caching of Akamai and SmugMug DNS results, over which OP has no influence. And he shows that all of the following names in the DNS chain had really short TTLs; once you get inside Akamai's DNS chain, the TTL was clearly only a couple of hours:

i-GM5Sth6-X3.jpg

And yet he's still getting an Akamai error message on his computer with his DNS cache. Can you explain which cached result in OP's local DNS cache could be causing this issue?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Ok, I went to it again just now. Your website keeps coming up fine for me. Every time. I go back to the thought that my site is using a different Akamai server address than his. So perhaps an Akamai server address serving his area is corrupt. And what about the data that Akimai servers have been having major problems for the last week that they do not know what is the root cause? A denial of service attack??? Something is obviously wrong for him and the biggest dog in the fight at SmugMug should be helping him solve this instead of just telling him to go to service providers for help. Dang, with the number of SmugMug's users base, SmugMug should have some super clout. If not - time to leave.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    kygarden wrote: »
    Is my www.openbloom.com still working for you at this moment? Seems to be dependent on where people are if they see it working or not.
    I've gone to it a number of times while reading this thread, and it always works for me. I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania, using FF. But I'll check now & then and let you know if anything different happens. I got the same 404 Error that you did when you went to that Akamai URL a couple pages back.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Welcome to the world of global internet operations, where everything is more complicated than it seems!

Yahoo's DNS (for domain customers, not yahoo.com) outage last week is mentioned in http://www.ysmallbizstatus.com/status/archives/12749 , although they seem to have lost the details of their actual outage. Their outage appeared to be a partial one for their global DNS system, meaning that some regions had brief sporadic outages, some had complete outages, and some regions had no problems. In a global caching system, caching results from a domain that is served from yahoo DNS, these outages would get cached according to their TTL or negative TTL set in their SOA record, although this can get more tricky if their DNS is completely out, or worse, returning corrupt/poisoned records. Unfortunately I don't have details on exactly what their problem was, aside from reports that DNS queries to many of their servers was hanging. Yahoo smallbiz DNS seem to have frequent problems, and I personally would not recommend them.

Anyway, what this means is that if your domain uses DNS with a global distribution/load balancing (a good idea, but difficult and complex in practice, and usually only delivering marginal improvements in performance) to serve a web site with global caching (huge performance gains), you need the following to be functional within certain time windows:

1. your local DNS (the one your computer talks to)
    2. your upstream DNS, if your computer talks to a caching DNS on your local router (a very common config for US ISPs), that talks to...
    3. the DNS that serves your domain that is local to you
    4. the local web caching server that you connect to
    5. the DNS that your local caching server uses, that talks to...
    6. the DNS that serves your domain that is local to your local caching server

That's only the part that's directly relevant here, and is of course, simplified. I'm sure I could drone on and on about the different places where things get cached and for how long, but dgrin is probably already asleep by now reading this. What causes a domain to be resolved correctly locally but not on the caching level is when parts 1-3 work but some part of step 4-6 fails. This means that for a modern high performance web site, reliable DNS is absolutely critical for high availability service. For an old school single-point web site, reliable DNS is important as well, but problems are easier to diagnose because you have access to all of the parts.

Changing DNS providers or registrars can result in similar problems as an outage if full coverage is not provided or if one of the parties involved doesn't handle some part of the process correctly.

To sum up, if you're still seeing problems and want to get things working, these will help diagnose which of steps 4-6 are at fault:
    - show the output of "ping openbloom.com" and "ping www.openbloom.com"
    - show the result that shows on your web browser when you visit "http://openbloom.com/"

Send those to Bonocore, and he'll deliver results for you.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    The OP has demonstrated that his domain resolves to domains.smugmug.com when the problem occurs, so all this waffle about what could go wrong is completely irrelevant. OP has demonstrated that his domain is resolving successfully.

Perhaps you would like to venture a hypothesis as to why OP sees an error message from Akamai if his domain isn't resolving to domains.smugmug.com?

Again, OP has posted actual Wireshark capture results that show precisely how his DNS resolved, you can see that there is no question that his domain name is correctly configured with a CNAME for domains.smugmug.com:

i-GM5Sth6-X3.jpg

And then precisely the response he received from the resulting Akamai cache server at the A record:

i-Z83HLrK-X3.jpg

This is considerably more detailed information than the ping results you suggest he collect.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Thanks for the replies and info everyone. The good news is, at this moment my site is working (for me locally)...and it was working fine right before I went to bed. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it won't stop working again. For some people, it has always been fine. It definitely seems regional....but whatever it was/is, I really hope it's fixed because it was very frustrating. I did call Go Daddy yesterday evening and the support guy said he had nothing on his board about any DNS outage at Go Daddy, but he did admit it's possible that other's in his company could have more technical detail about that if it was somewhat isolated and not widespread that many customers would be calling about. The wait time for support on the phone was only 2 minutes, so not many people were calling for help ;-) I suppose it's possible that I just got caught in a mix of really bad timing and bad luck. In case anyone missed the early part of this thread, I was using Yahoo for my domain when this problem started about a week ago and then changed to Go Daddy. So maybe that's where my bad timing came in....by deciding to go ahead and switch providers. Maybe it would have been ok quicker if I had waited out the Yahoo trouble. Either way, I really hope it's fixed because it's not just me that noticed it. I posted a video on youtube with a link to my Fuji X100S gallery and someone replied "Invalid URL?"....so I had to change the link to the smugmug link since that person was seeing my site as dead too. That comment is posted on my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0uG3D1AN0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYFWP_KVkHCXoI88shZOu2Q

Thanks again for your time and input!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Kygarden, thanks for your patience. Please let Bonocore know if you're still seeing any problems as I'm no longer following this thread.

As mentioned previously, this relevant error occurs when steps 1-3 (listed in my post above) work but some part of step 4-6 fails. Wireshark only sees 1-3; the very relevant 4-6 are not available to wireshark.

This was exactly the case here, and to be precise, #4 and #6 were regionally faulty at different times and having #6 change added some further complexity.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    shandrew wrote: »
    Kygarden, thanks for your patience. Please let Bonocore know if you're still seeing any problems as I'm no longer following this thread.

As mentioned previously, this relevant error occurs when steps 1-3 (listed in my post above) work but some part of step 4-6 fails. Wireshark only sees 1-3; the very relevant 4-6 are not available to wireshark.

This was exactly the case here, and to be precise, #4 and #6 were regionally faulty at different times and having #6 change added some further complexity.

Thanks :-) So far, so good today. I haven't noticed any problems since I went to bed last night. I'm hoping that all the various parts of this are fixed as well as up to date with my change to Go Daddy. I have hope :-)