Options

[Implemented] Random Slideshow Order

124»

Comments

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    Does this mean that ANY slideshow has the option of setting it up for random images across our whole set of galleries of course except for private and unlisted? Or do we have to specify a particular gallery? I, myself, want it to include ALL of my public galleries. Please explain fuller!
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    The options for choosing which images to display are no different than they were before this option was added (single gallery, keywords, popular photos, recent photos, photos I choose). It just allows you to randomise the order of those images you already selected.

Recent photos is probably the closest to what you want, though it only picks through the newest 50 photos you've got.

The other option would be to create a Smart Gallery which collects photos from all of your other galleries, and choose this as the Single Gallery for your slideshow.
  • Options
    migreenmigreen Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    The slideshow that I use most often is the one that is available from the collage landscape gallery or from the full-screen image reachable from the collage landscape gallery.

Is the random order option available with this slideshow? If so, how is it selected? If not, is it still on the request list?

Thanks . .

Mitch
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    migreen wrote: »
    The slideshow that I use most often is the one that is available from the collage landscape gallery or from the full-screen image reachable from the collage landscape gallery.

Is the random order option available with this slideshow? If so, how is it selected? If not, is it still on the request list?

That's not available (it was only added to slideshow Content Blocks).

I've never seen anybody make a request for that. Personally, I think it would be really confusing for the slideshow order not to follow the order of the photos in the gallery. If you leave the show, you'd be dropped off at some random page of the gallery with no real clue on how to get back to the sequence.
  • Options
    migreenmigreen Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    [Implemented] Random Slideshow Order
    Thanks Lamah. There is that negative but some positives too. I'll try the ss content block and see how that works for me.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »

I've never seen anybody make a request for that. Personally, I think it would be really confusing for the slideshow order not to follow the order of the photos in the gallery. If you leave the show, you'd be dropped off at some random page of the gallery with no real clue on how to get back to the sequence.

Looking at your pictures in a gallery of hundreds of pictures gets awful boring when every time you start the slideshow you see the same pictures.
    The gallery slideshow should have the old controls for speed, etc. plus a choice of random. And "Original Size" is supposed to be one of the display sizes!
    Taking all these choices away is not cool.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    But if I'm a returning customer, I'm probably coming back to see what's new in the gallery. I can't do that if the slideshow is randomised.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013

But if I'm a returning customer, I'm probably coming back to see what's new in the gallery. I can't do that if the slideshow is randomised.

Then why is the default for uploaded pictures in manual sort the bottom of the gallery?

The old gallery slideshow controls for speed, etc (plus random) need to be returned.
    It would only be random if you selected it.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    Bottom or top, either way it's really easy to find the new photos.

Huh?
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    The options for choosing which images to display are no different than they were before this option was added (single gallery, keywords, popular photos, recent photos, photos I choose). It just allows you to randomise the order of those images you already selected.

Recent photos is probably the closest to what you want, though it only picks through the newest 50 photos you've got.

The other option would be to create a Smart Gallery which collects photos from all of your other galleries, and choose this as the Single Gallery for your slideshow.

Thanks for explainingwave.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013

Are there any limitations using a Smart Gallery of hundreds of pictures?
    Will it use all of them. Does it repeat indefinitely?

Cheers,
  • Options
    ramdiskramdisk Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Thanks Luke! clap.gifbarb
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

Ahh! The joy of not much of anything.............
  • Options
    aprilcodesaprilcodes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2013
    Thanks for making randomization available. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    aprilcodes wrote: »
    Thanks for making randomization available. Much appreciated!

Yes. Now if they would just FIX the event slide show randomization... it was working. It had been working fine for years. Then somewhere back around the middle of November they broke it and have done nothing so far to fix it.

So tired of the "new" Smugmug's lack of responsiveness. The old smugmug crew would have solved a problem like this in less than a day.