DGrin is Now on Vanilla Forums

Comments

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

@Ben said:

@sapphire73 said:

@Ben said: [about editing]
    For 7: Yeah, we've locked it to 1 hour. I'm not sold on that. We can set it to almost anything. I suppose I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

Thanks for your response, Ben. In respect to editing, I am remembering that I worked on creating (or recreating) the Dgrin Mini-Challenges: Looking Back thread over several days in August, a bit at a time. And as a cumulative list - it requires repeated editing/updating to add the latest themes. I just realized that I won't be able to add Sarasphotos most recent mini-challenge #238: Holiday Spirit to the current list unless there is a work around for the one hour editing on that thread. Or some other way to maintain a list like this (without being a moderator). Not urgent though. Will check back in the new year on this.

I'll check with the mods and see if they have a strong opinion on this. I'm the one who chose 1 hour, and I certainly don't. :grin:

If it helps bolster Sapphire's argument, I too would rather have far more than 1 hour--days or weeks, really, so that one has the ability to change out photos.

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee

@StueveShots said:

@Ben said:

@sapphire73 said:

For 7: Yeah, we've locked it to 1 hour. I'm not sold on that. We can set it to almost anything. I suppose I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

Thanks for your response, Ben. In respect to editing, I am remembering that I worked on creating (or recreating) the Dgrin Mini-Challenges: Looking Back thread over several days in August, a bit at a time. And as a cumulative list - it requires repeated editing/updating to add the latest themes. I just realized that I won't be able to add Sarasphotos most recent mini-challenge #238: Holiday Spirit to the current list unless there is a work around for the one hour editing on that thread. Or some other way to maintain a list like this (without being a moderator). Not urgent though. Will check back in the new year on this.

I'll check with the mods and see if they have a strong opinion on this. I'm the one who chose 1 hour, and I certainly don't. :grin:

If it helps bolster Sapphire's argument, I too would rather have far more than 1 hour--days or weeks, really, so that one has the ability to change out photos.

Cool, it's set to edit forever for now. We'll monitor and adjust as needed.

Smug since 2003
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

@Ben said:

@StueveShots said:

@Ben said:

@sapphire73 said:

Thanks!

Is it true that right-click to save is enabled on this forum? Was that the case in the old forum? That worries me...and may limit what I continue to do here. (I am not a heavy user, but my use has been very helpful to me! I hope I can continue.)

A few recent changes:

1. I've bumped most of the fonts down some. I think a few need to come back up a bit, we'll keep tweaking. But there was an obvious bias towards smaller fonts. I still want to widen the page a bit, but don't want to break anything so that one is still pending. :smiley:
    2. Signatures are back. No images, but links allowed. They aren't specifically styled yet, so they'll be ugly for a while.
    3. As pointed out above, I've made editing allowed forever. We'll tweak as needed.

As a side note, I've asked Vanilla if we can globally set email notifications of replies off by default and just let you turn on the ones you want. The notifications scheme is far more robust, but it defaults to far more aggressive than I'd like. Tweak your notifications here!

Smug since 2003
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    I just noticed that on the profile page, Activity section, there is an icon that goes to full screen.

I also noticed the full screen option on all comments - that makes the text (still small) black on white - BIG difference! :)

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com

Oh, the signatures are back!!! <3

Where is the "Clap" icon???? :)

Travelways.com
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2016

@Ben said:
    A few recent changes:

1. Signatures are back. No images, but links allowed. They aren't specifically styled yet, so they'll be ugly for a while.

So how does this work? When I open my profile and hit the signatures tab, it says "You don't have permission to use a signature." ... And yet on this new post, the old signature appeared!

(Two oddities. Above I quoted one entry from a numbered list. On the original and in edit box, it shows as 2. Live it shows as 1. Also consider a tweak the "quote" font. Looks odd to have the quote bigger than regular text.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

@Jtring said:

@Ben said:
    A few recent changes:

1. Signatures are back. No images, but links allowed. They aren't specifically styled yet, so they'll be ugly for a while.

So how does this work? When I open my profile and hit the signatures tab, it says "You don't have permission to use a signature."

... and yet on this new post, the old signature appeared!

Hmmm... why don't you try that again and see if I found the right setting this time? :grin:

Smug since 2003
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

@Ben said:
    A few recent changes:

1. I've bumped most of the fonts down some. I think a few need to come back up a bit, we'll keep tweaking. But there was an obvious bias towards smaller fonts. I still want to widen the page a bit, but don't want to break anything so that one is still pending. :smiley:

Ouch! Now the font size is too small for comfortable reading (for me).

Interestingly enough the font size in the quoted portion of the comment is good but the text in the actual comment is not. I've tried using browser zoom but that doesn't help since it ends up making some things too big and the text I am looking to change is still not big enough.

Does Vanilla not have a user-controlled text size option that could be enabled?

As a side note, I've asked Vanilla if we can globally set email notifications of replies off by default and just let you turn on the ones you want. The notifications scheme is far more robust, but it defaults to far more aggressive than I'd like. Tweak your notifications here!

I checked all the options in my profile/preferences but I don't get any e-mail notifications :(

Travelways.com

I kind of feel it is too small too, but maybe I am just getting old? :lol: I'm going to let this bake for a bit, but maybe split the difference on 13px instead.

There isn't custom theming per person.

Smug since 2003
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

This is why user options would be nice for font sizes. Some people have better eyes (and/or are just more comfortable reading small text) than others.

It is worth noting for people with wider monitors who like large fonts, your browser can zoom nicely since they have only the center 50% or so of the screen in use. The reverse is not true since it just shrinks the portion of the screen displayed.

edited December 7, 2016

@Ben said:

@Jtring said:

@Ben said:

Hmmm... why don't you try that again and see if I found the right setting this time?

You got it! Thanks a bunch!

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:

Interestingly enough the font size in the quoted portion of the comment is good but the text in the actual comment is not.

Yep. Not liking the small font either.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

@StueveShots said:

@Ben said:

Thank you!

@Hikin' Mike said:

@denisegoldberg said:

Interestingly enough the font size in the quoted portion of the comment is good but the text in the actual comment is not.

Yeah, I couldn't get used to it quite that small.

We were at 14px when everyone felt it was too big. I went to 12px, where it seemed too small to people (myself included). We're at 13px now.

Smug since 2003
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@Ben said:

We were at 14px when everyone felt it was too big. I went to 12px, where it seemed too small to people (myself included). We're at 13px now.

It's better, but I liked the font from yesterday. Assume that was 14px.

@Ben said:

@Hikin' Mike said:

@denisegoldberg said:

Sorry, that doesn't work either - it's still too small.
    I take it there isn't a user setting that we can use individually.

!4 px I think it's good -

Travelways.com
    edited December 7, 2016

@Ben said:

Not sure, but I thought I saw 16px when everybody was saying things were huge. In any case, this works for me but after trying things out by diddling the live CSS, 14px would be a little better if you bumped the line spacing up too.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

Looks like I may have a new problem, due to fewer characters being allowed in one post?

I just went back to edit the Dgrin Mini-Challenges: Looking Back thread, adding the latest theme (238: Holiday Spirit) and deleting the # signs to remove [unintentional] hyperlinks. When I tried to save my edits, I got the error message: " Body is 394 characters too long." I have only added a few words. So has the character limit been shortened? If so, can it be increased to what it was before?

Thanks.

@sapphire73 said:
    Looks like I may have a new problem, due to fewer characters being allowed in one post?

I just went back to edit the Dgrin Mini-Challenges: Looking Back thread, adding the latest theme (238: Holiday Spirit) and deleting the # signs to remove [unintentional] hyperlinks. When I tried to save my edits, I got the error message: " Body is 394 characters too long." I have only added a few words. So has the character limit been shortened? If so, can it be increased to what it was before?

Thanks.

I had left that on the default. I just bumped it up 50%, from 8k to 12k.

Smug since 2003
    edited December 7, 2016

@Jtring said:

@Ben said:

Not sure, but I thought I saw 16px when everybody was saying things were huge. In any case, this works for me but after trying things out by diddling the live CSS, 14px would be a little better if you bumped the line spacing up too.

Hmm. I thought it was 14... maybe I was totally wrong. Let's try going to 14 and seeing, the text in the editor field is 14 and that sure seems like a nice size.

edit: on 14px as of right now.

Smug since 2003

@Ben said:

@sapphire73 said:

Thanks.

I had left that on the default. I just bumped it up 50%, from 8k to 12k.

I appreciate your help, Ben! Glad it was a relatively easy fix. I was able to save my edits on the first post of the thread. Will go back later sometime and start fixing links.

@Ben said:

That's better; thanks!

I just managed to kill email notifications for replies in threads, as a default setting. So that should stop the email spam people suddenly started getting!

You can still turn it on manually if you want, over here!

Smug since 2003

@denisegoldberg said:

@Ben said:

That's better; thanks!

Better thank you :)

Travelways.com

@Ben said:
    I just managed to kill email notifications for replies in threads, as a default setting. So that should stop the email spam people suddenly started getting!

You can still turn it on manually if you want, over here!

I'm not receiving any e-mail notifications - any idea of what I should do, please?

Travelways.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@Ben said:
    A few recent changes:

2. Signatures are back. No images, but links allowed. They aren't specifically styled yet, so they'll be ugly for a while.
    3. As pointed out above, I've made editing allowed forever. We'll tweak as needed.

Thank you for putting in all the hard work to get this new forum up and going. I know that you cannot make all of us completely happy, but the effort is appreciated.

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:

@Ben said:
    A few recent changes:

Thank you for putting in all the hard work to get this new forum up and going. I know that you cannot make all of us completely happy, but the effort is appreciated.

Who says I can't make everyone happy?!

:wink:

Smug since 2003