Upcoming Lightbox improvements (2019 edition)

14567810»

Comments

• ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

Same here. Now they've ironed out a few issues, I'm sure only more CSS tweaks will follow. It's a nice modern improvement over the old lightbox and shopping cart experience.

• YTSEmanYTSEman Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    Hi,
    could you return sizes button back please? My clients need to download different sizes (no, they are not able to resize the image themselves) so without sizes button I need to upload one photo multiple time. Or at least create some smart gallery of the same things. This was one of the reasons why I chose smugmug as storage for my photos. Really why did you remove such wonderful feature?

Thank you,
    Petr

> @leftquark said:
    > In addition to a number of improvements, we've also removed or changed some functionality and I wanted to make sure all of you are aware:
    > 1) The Sizes button has been removed.
    >
    > (Quote)
    > 2) A number of the Tools have been removed, specifically: “Collect”, “Develop with PicMonkey”, and “Crop Thumbnail”
    >
    > (Quote)
    > 3) A number of the Tools were omitted but will be added soon: “Show (or Hide)“, “Make a Copy”, and “Replace”
    >
    > (Quote)
    > 4) The Photo Info option to display metadata has been merged with the “Photo Details” (Title, Caption and Keywords)
    >
    > (Quote)
    > 5) We’ve changed how Show Filenames works.
    >
    > (Quote)
    > 6) The “Map” currently is not displayed as part of the Photo Details. It will be added in soon but was omitted to get this launched sooner.
    >
    > 7) Pinch to Zoom on Android will not work at launch. We’re working on adding it back in.
    >
    > 8) Tapping the Buy button no longer opens a menu, it immediately launches the add to cart options in a sidebar
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

I agree, the size button in lightbox needs to come back.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

We've added some unique CSS classes to the Lightbox for customizers & custom CSS. They can be targeted like this, which also removes the need to use !important:
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-close-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-fullscreen-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-slideshow-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-details-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-share-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-comments-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-download-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-tools-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-favorite-button.sm-button { }
    .sm-user-ui .sm-lightbox-v2 .user-ui-lightbox-view-favorites-button.sm-button { }

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins

Is there any way to disable the Lightbox "Close" tooltip? Seems extraneous and distracts from the image. I'm guessing it's controlled by the Title attribute for the X icon??

http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@BigRed said:
    Is there any way to disable the Lightbox "Close" tooltip? Seems extraneous and distracts from the image. I'm guessing it's controlled by the Title attribute for the X icon??

Could you expand on your thoughts around extraneous and distracting? The tooltip only shows up when the user moves their mouse over the close button, which means at that point they are no longer viewing your photo and their attention and eye are moving on to something else.

In this day and age the "X" button is pretty well understood to close the window but general design principles are to always make actions clear on what they are, so describing what the "x" does helps accessibility. In fact many of you here have added CSS so that the words "close" are always displayed next to the "X", and not just when there's a hover.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2020

"In this day and age the "X" button is pretty well understood to close the window"

It would also be much more clear if visitors were just told what it meant like "Return to Gallery".
    example:
    https://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-A-G/i-Mrg8Z6F/A
    Also notice how bad that close popout looks.

Another point. Millions use Facebook and their photo overlay disappears when the mouse moves off the photo almost instantly.
    Why do we have to put up with that 5 second delay?

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2020

@leftquark said:

@BigRed said:

Could you expand on your thoughts around extraneous and distracting? The tooltip only shows up when the user moves their mouse over the close button, which means at that point they are no longer viewing your photo and their attention and eye are moving on to something else.

In this day and age the "X" button is pretty well understood to close the window but general design principles are to always make actions clear on what they are, so describing what the "x" does helps accessibility. In fact many of you here have added CSS so that the words "close" are always displayed next to the "X", and not just when there's a hover.

Thanks for asking. For my site & audience, I believe that the "X" is self-explanatory for closing the Lightbox (and returning to the gallery). I don't recall ever seeing a site that adds the "close" text on hover. In my experience, it's unnecessary; it distracts users not from the photo, but rather from their simple closing action. One of my users was surprised by it and even asked me what it meant. I'm not prepared to claim that there's never a justification for it, but it's my goal to make my version of the Lightbox as clean & simple as possible.

http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography