Canon EOS M50, mirrorless

2»

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 25, 2021

Thanks all for your kind comments and observations.

A minor tip for M50 users, and possibly the M50 Mark II as well.

If there were magic genies who could grant wishes, I would ask that the Canon original M50 had a deeper shot buffer. Image acquisition is rather limited to 10 RAW or 33 JPEG image bursts, so I used the Technicolor Cinestyle* profile to shoot JPGs with a little better latitude vs the standard JPG profiles in direct bright-sun conditions. If the sky had become mostly cloudy or overcast, dynamic range would be naturally more limited and a standard picture profile works fine.

Then I used Corel PaintShop Pro 2022 and their proprietary "Smart PhotoFix" to rapidly get back to a fairly normal-looking gamma and saturation, followed by individual tweaking for each image. (e.g. Late-day sun warms images, which the camera mostly corrects if an automated white-balence program is selected. This works pretty well for mid-tones and highlights, but shadows and shadow recovery often result in off-looking colors, requiring some software remediation in post.)

*(Technicolor Cinestyle is an optional camera profile, available from Technicolor for free and works with most Canon EOS cameras which support adding profiles.)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums