Chal "new" by ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 4, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went down to the marsh (12/27/2005)

49772743-L.jpg

To get this photo:

49772752-L.jpg

of the New Cooper River Bridge, and I almost got sucked under the mud which was like quick sand. My shoes got pulled off, individually, I kept throwing them ahead of me. I did lose a sock completely to the mud. I couldn't carry my backpack, so I kept throwing it ahead of me. Finally, I couldn't stand up at all, so I crawled in spurts back to some solid ground. A lesson learned...................and this photography stuff can be dangerous.

Because of the tide, I am not going to be able to get out there at a good time any time this week. But I do have to go back and get a sunset photo, or something close to it, and keep on the look out for other things.

First, I have to warm up. And let my shoes dry off. Bill got most of the mud off, he said.

This is the best picture I got. I went there, 5 minutes away, at 8 AM, I was hoping for better light.

49772759-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    ginger, i have to admire the lengths you go to to get your shots. amazing :):
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    The second shot is great, I love the way the bridge dips down.

Sometimes photography can get rugged, sometimes you even have to lose a sock.rolleyes1.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    I like the second one
    While I haven't "quite" risked life and limb, I have found myself in some places that weren't entirely safe in the name of photography!

I do have an aversion to wet, sticky, slimy marsh muck! That would have stopped me cold! No photo is worth that!!!! But I'll climb out on rocks, get really close to cliff edges (first I try to remember when we last had rain -- the wet ones crumble easiest) and even though it's very difficult to get back up, I will get down on the ground when using the swivel lens doesn't quite work.

That's one interesting bridge! We haven't seen any like that, altho there is one somewhere up the coast. We were supposed to get a new bridge across the bay, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Will the old one be kept or torn down?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Oh, gosh, thanks, you all. I just woke up from a Looooong winter's nap!

Now I am too warm.

Yes, I am liking the second one more and more. I like the way the light is hitting the front. I let that light come out, thought I had blown it, but I was down for the count, sooooo, anyway, I agree with you all.

It is too late right now, and I really don't want to, go out and take a sunset shot, there would be no clouds in the sky anyway.

Dee, they are blowing the old one up slowly, piece by piece. Big events each time. Then the pieces are being taken out for a man made reef for the fish!

Also, what I did with the marsh, I had done it before and gotten away with it. In other words it had been drier before. I will never do that again unless it is definitely certified low tide. That stuff "sucks". It is indescribable and dangerous. I was wondering, before I went to sleep, about all the people who go out in the marshes after oysters and stuff.

Anyway, when I lived in Denver, I went too high up some rocks, with my husband to be (we were young) and my young children, they were red rocks (doesn't matter). The thing I learned about rocks is that it can be very different going up (easier) than it is coming down (almost impossible). That is kind of how the marsh was. By the time I knew I was in trouble.........I WAS definitely in trouble.

I think all's well now.

Thanks for looking and commenting,

ginger (I took photos while I was on my way back, I was darned if I was going to lose my shoes, socks and life and get nothing. And I called my husband to tell him where I was. He couldn't understand me, he doesn't know this area, it is not where he works. So, I told him that if I didn't call back in ten minutes to call someone.) The irony was that second picture was taken outside of the dangerous area, smile.
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    That is cool, the old and new together, nice shot, I really like #2.

James.
    edited December 27, 2005
    Thanks, James, yes, I am glad I am kind of getting a photo record of the "downfall", haha, of the old cooper river bridges.

Next time they blow them up, they will be in the main shipping canal and only have a certain number of hours to get the debris cleared away. Mega fines could ensue!

Meanwhile, there is the "ghost" of the Old Bridge, along with the New one.

ginger
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    It is a little sad to see a legend die, I have personally watched the worlds best runners race accross that bridge.

James.
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Ginger, I have to agree with the others. You really should get a "amazing effort to get the shot" award. But, I'm a little disappointed... you didn't get a shot of your shoes stuck in the mud? mwink.gif Just kidding. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    edited December 28, 2005
    Gosh, you all, I feel terrible that I waited until I thought I was safe to photograph my shoes. I couldn't photograph my sock, my foot was in the mud to the ankle and when I pulled it out there was no sock.

I worked this up post haste, it is probably the most close up of my feet and shoes. My bag was pretty muddy, too. After all I was throwing it ahead of me, onto the mud, as I crawled. Actually with the grass out there, well, I had to throw things onto some bits of grass or they would have gone down immediately.

Anyway, I sat here and learned to breathe again. It was the first place I felt really safe. Being the photographer type, I did take photos of my feet and shoes. I tried to compose it as artistically as possible with the trees, grass and all. If you want a photo of my bag, I will have to work up another one, but this is best of feet and bag, plus it is probably more artistic.:D

ginger

49871674-L.jpg

Thanks for recognizing the amt of work I put into my photography.

Did I mention that the temp was in the thirties and my foot felt little pain as it was numb.1drink.gif
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Love the second shot! brave ladythumb.gif Like the muddy foot shot too. Muddy feet are fun, cold muddy feet are not fun.
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    bowdown.gif

ginger, i salute your diligence
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    The photo of your feet is wonderful. It works even without the back story. You should start a series: "What I have gone through for my art." You could add the shot taken in the emergency room. Maybe someone should start a thread for dgrinners to post photographs of some of the trials and tribultions they have faced while trying for the perfect shot. Assuming they have had the presence of mind to take a picture like you did - and an artistic picture at that.:D

Oh, and by the way. The bridge photos are beautiful. I love the juxtaposition of the new on the old. And the colors. And the perspective. I agree that the second one is probably best, but I love the colors in the first.

Virginia

Email
    edited December 28, 2005
    Thanks, Gina, re foot photo. You know I think you are onto something. As an interested party, smile, my foot and face photo seem more interesting than most of the other photos I do.

However, I am hoping to avoid a repeat, or continuation of these types of things. I had to order new tennis shoes today, and those WERE new tennis shoes. To say the least of the face issue........ So I think it would be a great idea for a thread of mishaps, I hope that someone else could contribute next...........not that I am wishing misfortune to anyone, maybe it could be a photo of a past mishap, hopefully forgotten.

I kid you not when I say, sad to say, but those may be my best photos. Or in collaboration with Bill as he took the face one, I took the feet one. (On the face one, I was the art director, I told him exactly what I wanted.)

ginger
    edited December 28, 2005
    Today's bridge shot, no mishaps, happy to say!
    Title: Changing Landscape Date: 12 28 2005

49977842-L.jpg
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hi Ginger. SOme nice bridge shots. thumb.gif Curious as to what lens you are using. (17-40L ?). Remember to wipe your feet before you go in the house. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Wow ! all three are great especially the cloudy one ! they are very good shots for a lot of pain and mud ! you do go to great lengths for these pics .. Take care of yourself !
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks, all.

My PS CS2 crashed, the only program on my PC. It was illegal, had planned on going legal in Feb with tax return.

Now I can't do photography til then unless I come up with the money. No credit cards, no credit, no money, no savings..............I finally asked a dog owning friend.

It is 500.00 as I have the registration for Elements 2, found it in their data base. I was legal at the beginning. But it is not enough to qualify me for 169.00 deal.

I am going nuts.

Or more........................

I was working on more of those bridge photos when it kept crashing the whole PC after many warnings of program error. As long as I dont' use it, the PC is fine.

ginger

Did I mention that somehow I got sick: sore throat, headache, etc. I could run over and do the bridge photos anyway, but I have nowhere to put them. So. No good there.

Sorry to rant AND Whine, ..................

I have been totally honest with them, even cried. Except some of the spontaneity was lost with Bill translating.
    edited December 29, 2005
    Funny thing is this photo fits FMs theme of The Future, too.

g

We were going to Ace Basin today. Bill's only vacation.
    edited December 29, 2005
    Oh, yes, 17-40L

ginger (love that lens. wish I had a bunch of lenses. Having three does not leave any to sell.)
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    What you need to do is to make friends with a student somewhere. The academic discount is nice. My wife paid about $200 for the whole CS2 suite (the price for the whole suite turned out to be less than for just photoshop). Considering the cost of her tuition, though...

I'm trying not to be next in your series. I nearly fell in the creek a couple of weeks ago trying to get a reflection shot in one of the few spots where there wasn't a significant amount of ice.
    edited December 29, 2005
    mwgrice wrote:
    What you need to do is to make friends with a student somewhere. The academic discount is nice. My wife paid about $200 for the whole CS2 suite (the price for the whole suite turned out to be less than for just photoshop). Considering the cost of her tuition, though...

I'm trying not to be next in your series. I nearly fell in the creek a couple of weeks ago trying to get a reflection shot in one of the few spots where there wasn't a significant amount of ice.

HAHAHA, you need to try harder!

My grandson is a college student. I asked about 3 months ago, or longer, that he look into this for me. No dice, DAMN!

Sometimes kids today drive me nuts! (Some kids)

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know any students other than the grandson. Nor teachers.

It gets wearing to "beg" for this.

In actuality Amazon has these things for 150.00, but I am afraid that they aren't legal, that is where I first started my life of photoshop crime.

Smile,

ginger (watch those injuries, but if they happen, you know what to do.....) Photograph!
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Ouch. Well, that sucks. Let me rephrase that: you need to make friends with somebody at a school where you can get a decent academic discount.
    edited December 29, 2005
    I am thinking that if I am serious about this, I should go back to school. It has been my experience that anything I want done, I have to do myself. If I want it done well, I definitely have to do it myself, has anyone else had that experience?

Smile,

ginger
    edited December 30, 2005
    I managed to do this this afternoon, before I realized that I really had a problem.

I don't know if it is better or worse.

g

50135449-L.jpg
  • SallySally Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    bridge 3
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I managed to do this this afternoon, before I realized that I really had a problem.

I don't know if it is better or worse.

I like this one best of all three. Actually I liked the first better than the second, but then my personal picks are often at odds with others'. I preferred it because the old bridge was hardly noticeable in the background. I thought it competed in the second, and I didn't like the blazing blue sky. But this pictures tells me something about change, decay, and modern solutions.

Possibly my views are colored. They are builing a bridge like this up here in Maine, next to an old beauty that predated the Golden Gate Bridge and was in some ways a model for it. It was SO pretty, high over the Penobscot River up near Bucksport. But -- the state ignored it for too long, then threw money at it trying to save it, finally had to give up and build this unlovely structure, right next to the old beauty, which they hope to also keep open (I can't believe they are serious; probably a sop to the sentimental to say they'll keep it)... It's way too high in the air to look handsome. But anyway, I like your third (and latest) photo because it also says something about the mood of change... Hm, clearly I can't judge it on its own merits...

Sally
    edited December 31, 2005
    I managed to do couple more: very carefully
    This one is strange, and needless to say it is the NEW bridge. I guess you could call some of these, Ring in the New and ring out the old........bridges."

50334228-L.jpg

Above, I turned around and grabbed this shot as I was leaving....

Below, this is the first one I took this morning, or one of the first ones, no sky color, or not much! The sun rises the other way. It is a strange day here, it looks grey out my window on this side of the house, but it looks like sunshine on the other side of the place. I would guess that it is still grey all over.

50337284-L.jpg

The last one is a bit later, just before I left, before I took the first one above.

50334259-L.jpg

This is the same one with a frame.

50334243-L.jpg

Anything?????

I am getting a tad tired of this bridge........and the weather is not supposed to get better either.

ginger
    edited December 31, 2005
    I like the first one best, and I didn't even "take" it, I "snapped" it.

g
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    You have a wonderful series of bridge pictures. Particularly interesting because in a short time they will reflect history because the old bridge will be gone. I can see a selection of them framed and exhibited in the public library or perhaps a Starbucks or other coffee or tea shop in Charleston. Have you thought of doing something like that? Good publicity. Possibility of making sales. Nice contribution to the community.

Anyhow, I wish you a healthy, productive and fun new year with few frustrations and many pleasures.

Virginia

Email
    edited December 31, 2005
    Thanks, Gina! I just read of another place to take these things, a cemetery, but I think the old bridge is more prominent there. Anyway, we are expecting nothing good as far as weather is concerned.

There are some good photos and photo books out already of bridge photos. I was thinking of looking at one to get ideas, but I don't have access to planes, boats, etc.

I do have some photos that are as good as most of the photos that are out, but then there are those exceptional ones that someone else does where you just go........WOW (and how?).

ginger
    edited January 1, 2006
    Taken Sat, worked up then.......just another one
    50438685-L.jpg