Options

guitar people?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 13, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    what ovation ya got?

nope... haven't tried a seagull yet... i'm pretty much sold on either an Ovation, a Martin, or a 17-40 :uhoh its such a tough choice! ahhhh

The celeb deluxe.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    The celeb deluxe.

I have the same... needs to be amped or its worthless.
    In general, its easy to play (good action, that could be any guitar really) and it looks good. It's not the best made guitar for that money though. I can't think of better off the top of my head, but my musician friend/roomate at Guitar Center could. (wish i'd known him before buying it... ahhh, discount!)
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I have the same... needs to be amped or its worthless.
    In general, its easy to play (good action, that could be any guitar really) and it looks good. It's not the best made guitar for that money though. I can't think of better off the top of my head, but my musician friend/roomate at Guitar Center could. (wish i'd known him before buying it... ahhh, discount!)

it seemed kinda dry un-amped.... didn't have that deep tone that the Martin did....

but the martin didn't have an amp plug-in.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Me trying to be creativene_nau.gif

2986940-Th.jpg

Fred

Except for the ugly face, that's pretty cool.

naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    it seemed kinda dry un-amped.... didn't have that deep tone that the Martin did....

dry, yes... or just plain thin; the Martin, unless it's a dud or the cheapest that martin makes will be better; then again, to be fair to ovation, they're not exactly hiding that half their product is plastic ( it travels wellne_nau.gif)

sounds like you are about to be buying! if you live in the dc area pm me, i can get you a hook up [edit: nevermind, i doubt Lenexa, KS is in the DC area... duh]

[re-edit: on second thought, let me know if you decide on a particular guitar and I'll put the feelers out]
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

have a martin acoustic-

put an amp plug-in in it a couple years ago (very slowly and very carefully)-

seems to work fine, but maybe you have to have some confidence level to do it or just be stupid (wasn't that hard to put in; it was drilling the hole to put it in that was a little nerve-wracking)-

and I don't have that good of an ear to know if it affected the unamped sound of it-didn't seem to-

george
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I play a Tacoma DM-9 lefty. Bought it a couple of years ago after comparing to the less expensive models of Taylors, Martins, Ovations.

17634484-M.jpg
    playing around with "light painting" with a flashlight on this shot!

Tacoma was recently bought by Fender but they're still an excellent value in the under $1K price point. Solid wood, no laminates, great company track record, nice bass, good mids and highs. Not the prettiest guitar (the DM-9, at least). Satin finish and not any bling. But I was looking for sound first and the Tacoma won.

I'd sure like a Taylor 614 CE though.
    614ce_detail_body_front.jpg
    Let's see . . . a couple of Nikon lenses or the Taylor ?. . . the "glass" wins. I have my priorities!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I've got a Dean electric and a relatively inexpensive Alvarez acoustic. I play at playing Buffett mostly, some Greatful Dead, Jim Croche etc. and every now and then I poke at something more current when playing with my two sons. This one isn't my guitar, but it's me.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    dry, yes... or just plain thin; the Martin, unless it's a dud or the cheapest that martin makes will be better; then again, to be fair to ovation, they're not exactly hiding that half their product is plastic ( it travels wellne_nau.gif)

sounds like you are about to be buying! if you live in the dc area pm me, i can get you a hook up [edit: nevermind, i doubt Lenexa, KS is in the DC area... duh]

[re-edit: on second thought, let me know if you decide on a particular guitar and I'll put the feelers out]

actually... i have relatives up there just outside of DC in Virginia... and i might be visiting them this summer... i'll go back through my music store once more and check out which ones i like the most.... and tell you. if you can find someone i might just have to visit there this summer and we can hook up. maybe go shooting as wellthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    well. i made my decision... i'm getting a Fender CD-220S i know i know.. fender acoustic:uhoh but this one actually has an amazing depth to its tone... plus its cheaper than a martin and sounds just as good. i'm getting it in a trade for my Bass. guess what this means?! ***Drumrolll****

i can now afford to get a new guitar. AND the 17-40 *crowd roars*clap.gif

bad thing is i gotta wait till the 21st before i can order it from B&Humph.gif

thanks guys...

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 15, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    well. i made my decision... i'm getting a Fender CD-220S i know i know.. fender acoustic:uhoh but this one actually has an amazing depth to its tone... plus its cheaper than a martin and sounds just as good.
    thanks guys...

Daniel

Way to go, Daniel. Get what sounds good to you. thumb.gif I never played a Fender acoustic, but I had a Strat in the 60s and it was great. Too bad I sold it then...it would probably be worth a fair amount of L glass today. Ya just never know.

Cheers,
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited April 15, 2006
    Cool beans, Daniel! I didn't know Fender even had acoustics. Just get a good one. If I had my teenage years to live over again, I would have skipped the alloy wheels and wide tires for my Mercury Comet entirely (you can laugh here if you want to) and instead grabbed the Martin D-18 when I had the chance. Lessons learned - the good stuff lasts and lasts.

Instead, I kept my inexpensive Epiphone 12-string too long and it warped itself out of playability. Then the career, yada yada... Now I have no real guitar at all.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Lucky Day!!
    Hey! I just won this Gibson!!

I signed up for the Noise Pop Newsletter and I won their drawing.

I have traditionally been a Strat girl, mostly surf and blues, but this guitar has a great sound and a good feel. I am going to have some fun with this!

Noise Pop is an indie music festival in San Francisco, in case you're in the area. They put on some great shows.

woo hoo! clap.gif

65172993-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    congratz Trishclap.gif can never go wrong with Gibson.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    WOW, Congrats!!!
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Congrats Trish!

Surf guitar? One of my fave musical genres. I've been listening to Teisco Del
    Rey recently. Of course, The Mermen factor up there too thumb.gif
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Surf Sounds
    ian408 wrote:
    Congrats Trish!

Surf guitar? One of my fave musical genres. I've been listening to Teisco Del
    Rey recently. Of course, The Mermen factor up there too thumb.gif
    Right on! Surf is cool! I like that old school stuff like Link Wray and The Lively Ones of course Dick Dale.

I was in a surf rock band for a while. But I was the drummer though, not the guitar player.

Here's a couple songs: (think GARAGE)
    'Undertow' Live @ Kimo's, SF
    'Slaughter' Live @ Thee Parkside

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Sound off from a Bass player
    Geez, I've got too many thumbs to play 6 or 12 strings like you all. I only play four. My axes are from the mid '80's when I was "gearing up" while in a band. I play an '84 Riverhead headless bass and an '85 Fender Jazz Bass Special. I have an old Epiphone bass that I parted out. I play a Yorkville Sound amp and a Yamaha solid state amp that gives me some nice, fat tube-like sound. I don't play a whole lot anymore...kids, work, ministry, photography, etc. I get to play in front of people about once per year these days.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    I own four guitars. I have been playing for about 40 years. I play and sing for my own (and I hope my family's) enjoyment, and sometimes play with a few of my neighbors. I play just about anything I can, from country to hard rock, from folk to alternative. The internet is a great place to get playing knowledge and tab.

I have a Madeira A30M bought in 1977 for about $125, an Electra Les Paul bought in 1978 for about $225, a MusicMan 212-65 amp bought in 1978 forabout $400, a Martin 000-28EC bought in 1999 for about $2,300, and a Seagull 12 string bought in 2004 for $225.

I try to play, but work, my family and my other hobbies often get in the way. Heres a few mediocre pics of the gear:

65464045-M.jpg

65464085-M.jpg

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Right on! Surf is cool! I like that old school stuff like Link Wray and The Lively Ones of course Dick Dale.

I was in a surf rock band for a while. But I was the drummer though, not the guitar player.

Here's a couple songs: (think GARAGE)
    'Undertow' Live @ Kimo's, SF
    'Slaughter' Live @ Thee Parkside

cheers!
    Trish

KFJC used to have a great surf guitar show. That's where I used to hear
    stuff I wanted to buy. Anything from the Aqua Velvets to the Lively Ones
    to Laika & The Cosmonauts or the Blue Stingrays.

Surf guitar rocks.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    okay guys.... i just went to the guitar store again and fell in love for the 3rd time...

with an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MNS

and again with the Martin DM

i can't choose.... the Epiphone is about 200 cheaper though.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    FWIW, my Epiphone 12-string warped into a pretzel and is now unplayable.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    FWIW, my Epiphone 12-string warped into a pretzel and is now unplayable.

eek7.gif

steel string mediums i suppose?
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    eek7.gif
    steel string mediums i suppose?

No, weak neck. I have the same problems some mornings when I wake up.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    No, weak neck. I have the same problems some mornings when I wake up.

hmmm i'd always heard that Epiphones had great reputations... especially being made by Gibson...
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    hmmm i'd always heard that Epiphones had great reputations... especially being made by Gibson...

Maybe thay've cleaned up their act. Mine was from 1970. :uhoh
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    how much does it cost to have pickups put into an acousticne_nau.gif if it isn't outrageous i might get the martin and have that done....

P.S.- they had some nice Breedlove's at the store too....
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    how much does it cost to have pickups put into an acousticne_nau.gif if it isn't outrageous i might get the martin and have that done....

P.S.- they had some nice Breedlove's at the store too....

Search the net. Shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself. I'd be sweating drilling a hole into a Martin though, especially a new one.

Are there wireless pickups you can hotglue into the body?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Search the net. Shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself.
    that'd take muchos grande huevos....:uhoh
    I'd be sweating drilling a hole into a Martin though, especially a new one.

i'd be more comfortable paying someone to do it... kinda like how people pay computer geeks to put in processor chips and such... its so easy. just line up the pins and pop-it in... but people would sweat bullets if they didn't know what they were doing.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    okay so instead of the martin i followed my gut and ear and i went with this Breedlove and must i say i'm absolutely in love!!!!! ahh its amazing.

full bodied-concert, soft cut-away, with a solid Cedar top and solid Rosewood back and sides with a satin finish.iloveyou.gif

this thing just sings deep resonating bass and crisp clean high notes. great warm tone...thumb.gif

this definitely won't be my last breedlove...
    Daniel Bauer