Options

Challenge 62 Protest

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    How about an obvious example of something with pores, SKIN. Right? Skin has pores. But, skin appears smooth to the naked eye. The pores are only visible under a microscope. It allows oil and water (sweat) to come out, allows oil and water to go in. Now, if I entered a picture of skin it would not be one of the finest examples of something that LOOKS porous. Probably would not be chosen. Unless, of course, I could come up with a profound looking photograph.mwink.gif

My interpretation of the challenge was to come up with something that LOOKS porous and create a picture that demonstrates the IDEA of porosity. When I pour water on concrete I see bubbles as the water seeps into the concrete and air comes out. Yes, I agree that concrete is very porous. I'm not sure I could capture that picture.

Granite countertops are porous, that's why they have to be seeled in order to be used in kitchens. Granite is a stone and natural stone is porous, but a shiny smooth granite countertop does not demonstrate porosity. A rough granite rock might look more porous and certainly that concrete statue looks porous.

Yep, the themes of the challenges are open to the interpretation of each photographer. I'm always surprised at the number of different ideas that people come up with for the challenges. These themes get us thinking creatively. I have spent whole days setting up shots. Sometimes I have the time, sometimes I don't.

I like the idea of a theme as a challenge for my creativity. I hate staring at a blank canvas and saying "what shall I paint?" It's the same as "writers block" and that blank piece of paper.:D That's why they call these "challenges" and not "contests". The idea is to accept the challenge and challenge yourself to create a good photograph. thumb.gif

I applaud the judges for the time and effort they put into their selection. I applaud all the entrants for accepting the challenge to create a worthy photograph. I am sorry that I did not have the time to devote to the challenge this time. I'm the loser. All the entrants are winners.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Rules as to the subject matter???? Interpretation rules???

I never thought about that. I thought that was what we were voting on.ne_nau.gif

Funny how differently rules can be interpreted in their ownselves.

I found this a very difficult challenge, to the extent of impossible (all I could think of was biological osmosis at the microscopic level, which I could not personally photograph, even with my new macro lens).

I made a decision not to enter. I commend the people who did enter! One of the disputed photographs I thought was practically at the level of genius. And there were many photographs I liked. Some close than others to MY personal interpretation of the subj matter.

I have not voted yet, don't know when the closing is, but I hope to vote.

But rules as to how the subject is interpreted? That is new to me.

If that were inforced, now what would I have left as one of my voting criteria?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 20, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i would like to protest as well.

i believe the teabag is more permeable than it is porous.

Hey Dirty Sanchez,

Main Entry: porous
    Part of Speech:
    adjective
    Definition: absorbent
    Synonyms: absorptive, having holes, penetrable, permeable, pervious, spongelike, spongy
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    mknphotosmknphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    It's art people.
    Simple as that. Photography is art. Art is subjective.

You can't rule out entries based on content for just that reason.

I have a quick example of something I was thinking about doing for the contest (but couldn't get together). I was thinking about doing a boxer getting punched in the face...right between his hands, held up in defense. Obviously, a POUROUS defense, because it was penetrated by his opponent. Would you disqualify that? It's my interpretation of pourous.

Anyway, just my $.02
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    I can see...
    .. another case of Minoltaman coming.. :cry
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 20, 2006
    HOLY CRAP!
    I'm away at an all-day conference and return to find THIS!!!???
    I try for 15 months as a member to win a challenge just to endure THIS!!!!????

Listen up Rally, let me make this plain and simple. I struggled for 2 days very carefully considering EACH AND EVERY ONE of the 35 entries at which point I had narrowed the list of contenders to 12. It took me another day and a half to cull two shots to meet the required 10. It was painful. I chose against some I consider friends. The shot I personally like the best is NOT the front-runner in the voting.

There can only be 10 finalists!

I will not chance embarrasing nor insulting any of the participants by explaining the reasons why I chose one over the other, nor am I sure there is an explanation that would satisfy you or anyone that wants to rant.

This is a friggin' game. Get over yourself.

Take a little time to reflect upon the totality of the definitions of porous and its variations, factor in creative interpretation by the photographer as well as me as judge and tell me how ANY of the 10 I selected do not meet the criteria. Better yet, keep it to yourself. I'm not interested.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    HOLY CRAP!

lol3.gif You go, boy! Like I said, until the shoes of the challenge judge are trod in, nobody can know how difficult this is. Ang, you did a fine job and I know you are also photographically richer for it.
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Don't sweat it Angelo. You did well and you've got 99.9% of the site behind you. (that kind of popularity is hard to come by!)

Hey...

Congrats on winning the last challenge, I hope you can see to entering again.
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Some of you have to understand that this challenge/contest is much like a figure skating contest, it all relies on the judges. Yes its not exactly perfect, if it was, then everyone who enters should be able to be voted on and let a photographic democracy occur. However, we have to follow the rules bestowed on the challenges, if you dont like them then dont participate, simple as that.

I learned a few weeks ago that the images couldnt be no more then 800 pixels on one side, no mroe than 150KBs and I even had one of my images dq'd because my webhost went down during the judging times. But things like this happen.

Rally you're lucky the moderators here are very fair. They could have easily flamed your name or have you banned or even have your post deleted as if it didnt exist, but they are kind enough to keep the subject open. I can name some other forums where this would have probably ended with a quick flame and kick/ban, but I wont call names. rolleyes1.gif

However you have to understand that there are rules imposed on the site and you just have to respect them. Not everyone wins. You just have to deal with it right?

And Andy, its a good thing you moved this into a new thread instead of simply deleting it, silencing someone who wants to protest just makes things worse. And I think everyone is slowly understand how this contest goes.

At least this was being handled well.. for the most part. :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Ignoramente, Angelino!
    Angelo wrote:
    HOLY CRAP!

You did a great job. iloveyou.gif
    Opinions differ. ne_nau.gif
    You've been exposed to public internet forums long enough to not take somebody's "HO" THAT close to your heart.mwink.gif
    Relax, take a sip and smell the poppies:-) :):
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    First off...I was surprised by this thread...it really popped up. I'm going to have to fall on the INTERPRETATION clause. So all these pics were great in my opinion.

Just for the record....I'm a civil engineer and there is such a thing as permeable concrete. :D .....go ahead...google it.clap.gif
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    For me, the purpose of the challenge is to LEARN something, not to win something......I view it as a challenge, NOT a contest.......and nobody can anticipate the soul of the judges......what their priorities are going to be.....and it would only be an exercise in uselessness to try to impose rules about priorities on the judges. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......and we have a different beholder judging for each challenge..........which is really a GOOD thing if you stop and think about it.....because that way, we cannot anticipate the "priorities" of the judges, and have to go only on our creative instincts. I dunno about everybody else, I am just contributing my little 2 cents worth.

Good luck to Everyone :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    Wow
    I haven't read a thread this useless since {Mod. Edit: thread and topic deleted} . <--- made you wonder, right? No, seriously, this one wins.

Somebody had better begin understanding the concept of artistic license.

So, if we had 102 entries for Porous and ten of those photos were of sponges, the judges then should have chosen those ten sponge pictures because sponges are more pourous than a cheese grater shot, or maybe all the others?

:lol4

Hilarious.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    BLOODY NORA !!!
    Sort it out you mob.

If me tea bag aint pourous then 'ow dooze me tea git into me 'ot woter ne_nau.gif

It aint nuclear medicine.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    BLOODY NORA !!!
    Sort it out you mob.

If me tea bag aint pourous then 'ow dooze me tea git into me 'ot woter ne_nau.gif

It aint nuclear medicine.

Um, gus. We don't really drink tea over here. How are we to know?

lol, nuclear medicine. Kind of like rocket surgery.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

Theres arf your problem right there lad. Fancy that 'eh headscratch.gif a country that does not drink teane_nau.gif
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Theres arf your problem right there lad. Fancy that 'eh headscratch.gif a country that does not drink teane_nau.gif

I drink the free tea at work...good ol Twinnings Green Tea...lol or I Love Lemon....and my absolute favorite....EG.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    Just for the record, I drink tea. Had about a liter of it today in fact. After that, I was quite porous.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

lol, nuclear medicine. Kind of like rocket surgery.

Nuclear Medicine :D
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Hey, people, make up your mind!
    I don't see concrete as beeing porous/permeable. Maybe someone could pass the info to the damn builders:D. Tea bag on the other side, is.
    "Flesh to Stone to Dust" is a great photoiloveyou.gif and I'm glad it's on the challenge voting thread.
    Spendind time arguing about interpretation of Ch.62 theme is useless.
    What I do question is the artistic quality of some. This is another problem ne_nau.gifand I do realise that is [SIZE=-1]subjective. Remember, "...beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." We may dislike some choices, but I'm glad that I was not in the position to make them.
    p.s. one thought, on ch.63 is a 30+sec better than 1.00001sec? guess not...rolleyes1.gif[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Guys its this easy. Its all about artistic licence.

Some examples:

Here is a fire engine.

Here is a song bird

and here is a portrait of Jimmy Carter
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Some examples:

Here is a fire engine.

Here is a song bird

Sorry, you are wrong about last one.
    It's Jimmy Hoffa....
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Some examples:

Here is a fire engine.

Here is a song bird

Exactly :Dclap.gifscratch:D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 21, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Dirty Sanchez,

Main Entry: porous
    Part of Speech:
    adjective
    Definition: absorbent
    Synonyms: absorptive, having holes, penetrable, permeable, pervious, spongelike, spongy

see, i knew you'd come through!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    [SIZE=-1]
    p.s. one thought, on ch.63 is a 30+sec better than 1.00001sec? guess not...rolleyes1.gif[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

blbl.gif
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    WOW This thread took a whole cup of coffee to read!

I struggled with this challenge and when I went to google images and web sites for poruos concrete and wood were on the top of the list.
    I started with coffee filter and tea bag shots, but could not get a look I liked. When I saw the tea bag entry I smiled and thought "that is the shot I tried to get!"

I thought everyone who entered came up with wonderful ideas, concepts and shots.

I have seen a few challenges where the top 10 just jump out at you and most, like this one, that you pittied the judges having to only pick 10!

But hey that's just my opinion ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    twinbnj wrote:
    WOW This thread took a whole cup of coffee to read!
    was it porous coffee?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    was it porous coffee?

well, he had to "pore" it out of the pot :):)
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006

"Brewing Tea" - the tea bag may have pores, but they're not visible, so subject is not clearly visible = does not qualify.
    /quote]

Angelo picked my picture, so obviously he did an outstanding job. I hope the voters are as intelligent, refined, and artistically capable as he is... 'cause I really could use those $40!

1st off, one of the things I like about the photo challenge is the very fact that folks stretch the definition of the challenge. To me, good art is often about bending rules- so I don't get the beef about the photos not qualifying.

BTW, in my job I deal with industrial floor coatings. I've seen water vapor travel from the ground though several feet of concrete, popping off 1/4" thick epoxy bonded flooring systems. That's pretty damn porous.

And, as the aussie said, if tea wasn't porous, well, you couldn't make tea, could you?

Bad form, sirrah!
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Not drink tea???

Well, the South, that part of the USA that almost won, and some argue did win, the Civil War.

It was founded and exists today on Sweet Tea!

Gus, is that your photo??? Cool photo!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.