Options

Ever lost a lens? I did!

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 23, 2006 in The Big Picture
I think I left it out on the dock Tuesday night! The 10-22, and I am just sick about it! Just sick!

Anyone else?

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I'm sorry that happened to you. :cry
    It happened to me when I was a kid, in Malorca.
    My father was filming, I asked to watch throught the viewfinder, I looked and I put the camera on a table.
    We drove away.
    When we came back there was nothing there, of course.
    It was a Beaulieu 8mm film camera.
    Some 10/15 years ago - may be more - in 1974, I bought a Canon super 8mm in Hong Kong and offered to my father.
    Unfortunaly he sold it some years later.

BUT: are you Healthy ?
    Yes you are.
    Then, forget it. If you were ill it would be much much worst.
    Get another lens and let's go on. :):
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I've been telling everyone here lately about MY little loss while returning from learning how to sail in Chiemsee, Germany. Though this happened almost thirty years ago, it still bugs me!

I had a Yashica FX1 film SLR (of course; I think only the CIA had access to whatever rudimentary digital imaging technology was available at the time), along with a 28mm, 50mm AND 150mm tele.

Forgot 'em all--ALL, mind you--after getting off the train in Darmstadt...or Babenhausen (I think, I forgot THAT, too!) :bash

You know, "Of all the things I lost, I miss my MIND the most"!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2006
    I may sound stupid but when I travel I NEVER lieve my equipment in the van and at the table, it is under it, attached to my leg ! :):

Never leave the key in your car when you go out for the newspaper.
    NEVER. NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    I'm a bit OCD in this department
    Before a wedding I check to make sure I have all my gear in the bag twice, and I make sure I have the bag in the car at least once. My big fear is driving off with the bag on the ground. Before leaving a job I check to make sure I have all my gear in the bag twice, and that I have all the memory cards out of the camera and the cards in the case twice. Working as an assistant for 4 years trained me to be responisble for someone elses expensive equipment, so I'm totally nuts about my own. My former boss left a light meter on top of his car after shooting in a very open space park in Montgomery County MD during the height of the DC sniper attacks. We left a Vivitar 283 on a stand at a church (but it was recovered) and used the opportunity to experiment with wireless ETTL. I'd be sick over the loss of a 10-22 also...that really stinks.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Yep I lost on of mine, I dropped my sigma 70-300 lens during the cherry blossom festival here in NYC at the Brooklyn Botannical gardens. Ahh there was like 6 other photographers snapping pictures with me so I switched lens real fast and in the process I must have dropped it. Damn for 10 mintues I was going crazy worst feeling ever then I looked around and saw a security guard with it in his hands, one of the other photographers must have given it to him. Oh man did I get lucky.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Ouch. It's thread s like this that encourage my own OCD tendencies regarding camera equipment. I tend to triple-check everyting and not put down the bag unless I have a static position I'm shooting from--then the bag becomes my workstation. I am definitely paranoid about leaving stuff, particularly on the frequent occasions I'm using borrowed gear.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 18, 2006
    Once I left all of my film an an airplane, around 30 rolls. Fortunately it was all unexposed, but I had to buy all new film at "tourist" prices.

I do have personal business cards in all of my camera bags, and I try to carry the bags and use them instead of putting lenses on a table etc.

Good luck finding it Ginger,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Thats just plain terrible G !!! All i can say is to remember its just an object & not family that is sick etc.

I am always leaving stuff about as i am constantly putting stuff down and walking away...i always do a lens count before i move off which is really quite silly as i dont know how many i have ..but i count them never the less.

I know im hopeless at leaving stuff behind so i keep my gear insured..were you ?
  • Options
    StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    Before a wedding I check to make sure I have all my gear in the bag twice, and I make sure I have the bag in the car at least once. My big fear is driving off with the bag on the ground. Before leaving a job I check to make sure I have all my gear in the bag twice, and that I have all the memory cards out of the camera and the cards in the case twice. Working as an assistant for 4 years trained me to be responisble for someone elses expensive equipment, so I'm totally nuts about my own. My former boss left a light meter on top of his car after shooting in a very open space park in Montgomery County MD during the height of the DC sniper attacks. We left a Vivitar 283 on a stand at a church (but it was recovered) and used the opportunity to experiment with wireless ETTL. I'd be sick over the loss of a 10-22 also...that really stinks.

rolleyes1.gif You sound just like me. I have been known to get half way to work, just to turn around thinking I forgot to push the button to close the garage door. Of course when I get back it's closed, every time!

Ginger, sorry to hear about that. I know it must suck.. I know that feeling well. Ughh.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2006
    Stef wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif You sound just like me. I have been known to get half way to work, just to turn around thinking I forgot to push the button to close the garage door. Of course when I get back it's closed, every time!...

And you are young ... :):
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    G...have you gone around the place where you lost it & put up 'Lost..Camera Lens ph: 555 555 55' signs yet. Remember there are more honest people out there than dishonest & boaties that i know are great people.

Do it today if you havnt yet & i will bet london to a brick that you will get it back.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    BUT: are you Healthy ?
    Yes you are.
    Then, forget it. If you were ill it would be much much worst.
    Get another lens and let's go on. :):
    thumb.gif

I can completely agree with you, and if I'd lost my lens, I'd be SICK, if not more so, as you are. someone did steal my wallet one time, it only had like $45 in it, but the wallet itself was about 3 a half times that...umph.gif so I was not happy. not only did I lose all of the discount crap cards and my cash, and my license, I lost the wallet....ugh...I've almost lost my raybans about...4 times. I know I shouldn't put raybans in my shirt, like hanging on the buttons when I go in the store, but I don't like them on my head - and I've had them fall off in target, Walmart, a restaurant while on vacation in Vancouver, and my friend's house...I was freaking out, but fortunately I found them...however, I have to agree with antonio, whenever something bad happens, I just tell myself that it could've been a lot worse. if your heart is still beating and your eyes are still blinking, life is wonderful.
    "worry not, my dear friend, life is but an enjoyable ride."

btw, that's not a bad quote......I just came up with that...hahaha. I'll have to remember that. mwink.gif

well, I am sorry...that's a horrible experience - - - but hey, now you get to look forward to getting a new one! new things are always fun....just forget you ever had another one! and be like "ooooohhhhh- I'm getting a new lens!!!!! YAYA!!!!!"

haha

Sincerely,

Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I can completely agree with you, and if I'd lost my lens, I'd be SICK, if not more so, as you are. someone did steal my wallet one time, it only had like $45 in it, but the wallet itself was about 3 a half times that...umph.gif so I was not happy. not only did I lose all of the discount crap cards and my cash, and my license, I lost the wallet....ugh...I've almost lost my raybans about...4 times. I know I shouldn't put raybans in my shirt, like hanging on the buttons when I go in the store, but I don't like them on my head - and I've had them fall off in target, Walmart, a restaurant while on vacation in Vancouver, and my friend's house...I was freaking out, but fortunately I found them...however, I have to agree with antonio, whenever something bad happens, I just tell myself that it could've been a lot worse. if your heart is still beating and your eyes are still blinking, life is wonderful.
    "worry not, my dear friend, life is but an enjoyable ride."

btw, that's not a bad quote......I just came up with that...hahaha. I'll have to remember that. mwink.gif

well, I am sorry...that's a horrible experience - - - but hey, now you get to look forward to getting a new one! new things are always fun....just forget you ever had another one! and be like "ooooohhhhh- I'm getting a new lens!!!!! YAYA!!!!!"

haha

Sincerely,

Ross

The worst thing I have lost is a pair of those computerized car keys a few weeks ago... it's going to cost me $600 to replace them :flush No one mentioned that the keys that were supposed to prevent my cars from being stolen were going to cost me an arm and a leg to replace eek7.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2006
    The worst thing I have lost is a pair of those computerized car keys a few weeks ago... it's going to cost me $600 to replace them :flush No one mentioned that the keys that were supposed to prevent my cars from being stolen were going to cost me an arm and a leg to replace eek7.gif

Better loose the keys than the car ... rolleyes1.gif
    Car keys have security inside.
    Without them the car doesn't run. AT ALL.
    Here - Portugal - and for my BMW, if I loose one key they have to ask another to Germany.
    Probably it would cost as much as to you...
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006

ouch, I should probably be careful...because my car keys have one of those blue chips in them, so the car can't be hotwired....and I can't get spares made without actually ordering them from inifiniti themselves. a good security feature I guess - - - but not really economical, huh? all I have is two....
    btw, where is that second one....eek7.gif...hmmm......

- Re
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Awww, G, that sucks to hear. Knock on wood, but I've never lost a lens. There is a lion, probably lying around in a tree at Lake Manyara National Park in Tanzania, wearing a baseball cap, but that's about it when it comes to the things I've lost. Others say I'm neurotic. But I know, so far I've just been lucky.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Better loose the keys than the car ... rolleyes1.gif
    Car keys have security inside.
    Without them the car doesn't run. AT ALL.
    Here - Portugal - and for my BMW, if I loose one key they have to ask another to Germany.
    Probably it would cost as much as to you...
    thumb.gif

True, but I was mildly annoyed at the thought that I lost the keys (100 bucks to the guy/gal that can find them hehe they are hiding in the SD Zoo :uhoh) but I went to the stealership and asked them how much the replacement was. The gal did not want to tell me and said I needed to talk to an advisor, then the bomb dropped. My wife called the other dealership and then the perfect storm formed. Bam about $600 to replace both, there went the extra SB-800 heheh. Oh well. So VW, Lexus, BMW, MB owners fair warning you are carrying a cheap college student's computer or a nice lens, flashes in your pocket/purse.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    G...have you gone around the place where you lost it & put up 'Lost..Camera Lens ph: 555 555 55' signs yet. Remember there are more honest people out there than dishonest & boaties that i know are great people.

Do it today if you havnt yet & i will bet london to a brick that you will get it back.

This rememinded me of two events. 1. Last year I found a lens on a park bench. I was able to locate the owner within 10 minutes. 2. We recently had a conversatiion at work where we created a hypothetical senerio where you found a wallet with $200.00 in cash, credit cards, and ID. The question was whet do you do? I WAS STUNNED by some of the answers!!! While they wouldn't use the credit cards many more than I would have thought possible said they thought it was ok to keep the money!

I was very unpopular when I told them what I thought of the people who had that kind of character, or lack of character. ( My real response is not D-Grin safe to type here).

But there are still honeswt people out there so go post a lost & found sign.

Safe
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think I left it out on the dock Tuesday night! The 10-22, and I am just sick about it! Just sick!

Anyone else?

ginger

Sorry to hear you may have lost your lens Ginger, I've not lost one but done some serious damage to one.

I hope someone is honest enough to give it back...... do post some signs, you have nothing to lose doing that........fingers crossed all goes well.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Big bummer Ginger.
    Hope it is returned to you.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Anyone else?

I "lost" my EF 50mm F1.8 II yesterday. It died. I took it out of my fanny pack, after a night at the races, and it came out in two parts. I have no idea why, it wasn't dropped or anything, at least not recently. It was over 10 years old, so I guess it had given it's all. :cry

At least Ginger has a chance, even if slim, at getting her's back.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    Thanks for all the examples, suggestions, kind words, etc!

And good gosh, now I know that Cameras are Made to die, but lenses????

Never knew that.

After great anguish, I have remembered that my father, my age at the time (very old, lol), left his camera w lens, of course, on a tripod in a field in Switzerland. That story was told many times before he died in '89. He used Leicas. That is the bad thing, the good thing for him, he could afford to replace it: though the loss was never forgotten. And what was he doing in Switzerland when he lived in Fla, USA, obviously he had more money than I do.

It was not insured. I procrastinated. I do change lenses, put them where they won't fall, but not always in the case. I pretty much trust the people where I was shooting. But since I didn't miss it for two days..........that is too many people to trust.

We have called the police, nothing yet. I am watching the want ads. Will place a sign when my husband gets home. I spent half of yesterday out there looking for it. I used it Tues night, I know where I was putting my lenses. Changing them constantly, they were on the dock, where they wouldn't fall off, next to my backpack. Yesterday, I kept looking at the seat that is there just expecting to see the D lens!

If I have to lose a lens...................well, it is one of the cheaper ones. The bad thing is that I don't have the money to replace it, and though I did not use it all the time, when I did the photos were always good. I was quite proud of that lens.............. bought it from Rutt, darn!

I figure that if the people who found it were drinking fisherman, they could have thrown it away. If they were not, they could have taken it home for when they see me again.............yes, posting a sign would be a good idea!
    There was one for a lost dog, didn't occur to me.

I do have business cards in my backpack. Heaven forbid that I should lose that with all in it. I can't wear the darn thing all the time. Though it is a very good backpack, my back and legs are not that good!

Thanks,

ginger (I hate to become all paranoid, but I have had some near misses in the past. So, this is a bad thing, but a warning to heed! My car is a '91 Honda Civic with a normal key. I have coveted and wanted one of those cool keys that "click" everything on the car open and on. Thanks for helping me out on that envy!)
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Sorry to hear about the lens Ginger. It's terrible when you lose something, especially of value.

But there's always hope. My wife lost a $600 pair of prescription glasses on an airplane earlier this year. She discovered them missing about 45 minutes after getting off, shortly after arriving back home. We called the airline right away and they went and checked. No luck. We then completed an official lost item report and pretty much forgot about it. Three months later, a package arrives, it was the glasses! We unfortunately couldn't wait and ended up buying new glasses, but it was still great to get them back (they were her favorite frames which couldn't be purchased anymore).

So maybe you'll also get lucky and your lens will find its way home.

Brad
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Ginger,
    I feel for you, I would be heart sick too!

14 years ago my husband & I went on our first get away together. Just a weekend in the Smokey Mountains, not much but my favorite place in the world. We came home, unloaded the car and accidently left the camera in the glove box with the car unlocked. Yep you guessed it. the next morning the glove box was open and the camera gone. With the film in it. To top things off it was my Dad's Pentax IQ Zoom.

We offered a reward for the camera, we offered a reward for the film, but no luck. I replaced my Dad's camera but we could never replace the pictures that we lost.

I Learned something a few years ago that I try to live by... You have to really think about it, for it to make sense. "If money can fix it, it doesn't matter." Keep in mind that I was told this by a woman with 10x the income that I have so I initially blew it off.

The more I thought about it the more it makes sense. If my daughter breaks the $50 tea pot that I bought at an art show, I can fix that by buying another. Maybe it won't be exactly the same; but, oh well. What money can't fix are the hurt feelings and harsh words as I berate her for being clumsy. So money can't fix; lost film, hurtful words, and death: and anything that money can fix is isn't that important.

Keep your chin up!
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    ... "If money can fix it, it doesn't matter." Keep in mind that I was told this by a woman with 10x the income that I have so I initially blew it off.... Kat

I am sorry Cat but I don't agree completely.
    Why ? Because there are things that money can fix.
    Example: Heath.
    Money doesn't give us Heath but it helps a lot to get it !
    Isn't this true ?

Regards
    Be Heathy !! :):thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    I am sorry Cat but I don't agree completely.
    Why ? Because there are things that money can fix.
    Example: Heath.
    Money doesn't give us Heath but it helps a lot to get it !
    Isn't this true ?

Regards
    Be Heathy !! :):thumb.gif

Darn Straight!

g

However, I do understand the sentiment! What is gone is gone. Life is more important than possessions.

I appreciate all the answers.

I have still not gotten my lens back. I don't expect to now. And I am a very trusting person. It was dark when I left the dock. The only people left there were drinking belligerent (sp) fishermen.

If they did not throw it in the creek, there were two days, and nights, for someone else who does not know me at all to find the lens. People there are regulars, out of town tourists and "day trippers" (an hour or so away).

If a regular found it, I would hope that sometime I might see the person again. ON the other hand....................

I mean to post on the camera thread.

Now my on camera flash won't pop up.

Since my warranty ran out in Feb, I have had major problems with this Canon camera. At this point I would never buy a Canon again.

The people here, on dGrin, well they are SUPER people, and it was through their help, and the help of smugmug that I got my camera through major repairs a few months ago. (I wore it out with actuations)

Then it was back in the shop. Different manifestation of the same problem. They were going to charge me, because of all the actuations.........I had to call to straighten that out.

Now the flash is broken. Actually, I had the flash fixed BEFORE the warranty ran out.

I discovered this yesterday. At this point I am in shock, I can live w/o the flash, but it is apparent to me that I have a lemon of a camera at a time in my life when I can't afford a lemon. I can't replace/fix anything. I will call them..............when I think I can without saying something I might regret.

On the lens, I loved that lens, but I love all of my lenses. That was a glamour type lens, one I had waited to buy and got good photos with. But I am lucky I did not lose my birding lense, or my more normal lens.

Thanks for all your stories and suggestions.

ginger
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Last lens I lost was to shrapnel. Nikkor 20mm. Lens hood, UV filter and multi-coating didn't help ... Sorta twisted the camera body too.

The 10-22 is such a sweet lens too ... too bad it wasn't a Quantaray or some other Coke-Bottle-Type-Glass lens.

Good luck on getting everything straightened out. Sorry about your loss.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    When did they repair your flash? if it is within 12 months of the flash repair and id the same problem they should fix it for free! most repairs themselves are guarenteed for 12 months.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Last lens I lost was to shrapnel. Nikkor 20mm. Lens hood, UV filter and multi-coating didn't help ... Sorta twisted the camera body too.

WOW!

ginger
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    We should start a new forum here: Losses and Defects.
    Steve-o