The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    If the old man wants a long haul bike, get an RT or a GS. Both are more
    than capable. I don't see anything wrong K bikes even though they be more
    "complicated". In fact, I own one (K1200GT).

Hard to make a recommendation that's good for your dads ridding style with
    out knowing him. The Triumph recommedatons are good but I'd be thinking
    about a 675 wings.gif

I think the BM's are too tall/heavy for him from MS posts(you have to admit , a GS can be a bloody handfull).

An 865cc trumpy scrambler perhaps ? Do you get them in the US ?

Why i like the new retro trumpys is that they are well capable of a small tumble & sustain minimal damage ..lighter weight & none of that plastic crap covering them.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Another weekend of motorcycle rentals. I'm guessing this won't be news to
    anyone here, but as far as I'm concerned, Harley's suck.

Tried a Harley Dyna Street Bob. My (totally worthless since they come from someone with no knowledge) thoughts:

Poor quality (gas gauge looked and felt like it cost 3 cents, gas cap felt cheap, key was a cheap design, wobbled in the ignition, and every time you shut it off it would fall out)

Even though it was huge, the seat was uncomfortable (as in after sitting on it for 5 minutes, even while stationary, my butt and back hurt) and the ergonomics of the controls were poor for me. The only good thing is it was easy to get my size 14 foot between the peg and the shifter. The argonomics actually might have been ok for a little guy (I noticed the seat was very low to the ground, and judging by the appearance size that it had, perhaps I would have been comfortable if I were 5'6" and wished I were 6'3" instead of being 6'3".

Even though it was heavy, it was unstable (and of course it had all the problems that come with being heavy typically).

Even though it had 1584cc to work with, it didn't feel peppy. Also, it was painfully shakey.

The Honda Shadow Aero I first rode was at least a little fun (albeit not enough for me to understand the attraction given the risk), but this was just annoying.

There's a place that has the BMW F650GS...maybe that will get me to understand the attraction some have to motorcycles.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I think the BM's are too tall/heavy for him from MS posts(you have to admit , a GS can be a bloody handfull).

An 865cc trumpy scrambler perhaps ? Do you get them in the US ?

Why i like the new retro trumpys is that they are well capable of a small tumble & sustain minimal damage ..lighter weight & none of that plastic crap covering them.

Yeah, he says the BMW's are too tall, but he doesn't mind weight really, except for the fact that it's inefficient to be heavy - he has no problem with this Harley he's out riding today, which is 600+ pounds. He's 5'10 on a good day btw.

We do get the Triumphs in the US, but I can tell you right now, he doesn't like flat seats, though he did seem to think the Thruxton might be good (actually, he said he liked how any of the ones under Modern Classics on the Triumph site looked, which is odd because he had just said that flat seats are horrible).

I don't think he's worried about a tumble btw. For about 15 years he rode motorcycles almost exclusively and never dropped one once. He thought I was being ridiculous when I told him I had heard everybody drops a bike a few times when they're learning.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    BTW, does anybody have a tip for me to solve this problem? Any time I try to stop quickly, I end up opening the throttle as I squeeze the front brake (I don't know why they don't make it so that to open the throttle you turn your hand forward, that seems much more natural to me). As an aside, this is very effective at teaching one to put in the clutch when stopping quickly.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    Yeah, he says the BMW's are too tall, but he doesn't mind weight really, except for the fact that it's inefficient to be heavy - he has no problem with this Harley he's out riding today, which is 600+ pounds. He's 5'10 on a good day btw.

We do get the Triumphs in the US, but I can tell you right now, he doesn't like flat seats, though he did seem to think the Thruxton might be good (actually, he said he liked how any of the ones under Modern Classics on the Triumph site looked, which is odd because he had just said that flat seats are horrible).

I don't think he's worried about a tumble btw. For about 15 years he rode motorcycles almost exclusively and never dropped one once. He thought I was being ridiculous when I told him I had heard everybody drops a bike a few times when they're learning.

Everyone drops a bike over in some form or another in their life...be it on a wet slippery pedestrian crossing or simply the side stand punching through the hot bitumen as happens here in summer.

Do be aware that no matter how boring the current range of 'non sport' jap bikes look to be to the layman against other stuff on the market...they have motorcycling pretty well sorted out. Reliable,fast & quite comfortable.

They spread their power out well also.

Its never going to be how you managed to drop a bike at 3 kph as you reverse park it...its going to be how you re-act as a car load of teenagers lose control on a bend and is 0.8 of a second from slamming head onto you that will determine a lot. It will be about when you drop into a corner with heavy tree shadow & the front wheel touches 3 leaves sitting on the road & they have moisture under them from the night prior & you are now in a front wheel slide towards what-ever.

Riding a motorbike is a deck of cards every day.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    BTW, does anybody have a tip for me to solve this problem? Any time I try to stop quickly, I end up opening the throttle as I squeeze the front brake (I don't know why they don't make it so that to open the throttle you turn your hand forward, that seems much more natural to me). As an aside, this is very effective at teaching one to put in the clutch when stopping quickly.
    Lift your right thumb fwd as you brake...maybe. Its inexperience thats doing that so dont think about changing anything but yourself. Rolling a throttle fwd to accelerate would be like gravity falling upwards to any motorcyclist.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Its never going to be how you managed to drop a bike at 3 kph as you reverse park it...

No doubt I of course, if I do decide to get my license and thus actually ride in areas where there are people/cars (5 miles from DC and suddenly there is no life), will have those concerns, but in the case of my dad, I guess I should have noted that he's done his share of motorcycle racing...
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Lift your right thumb fwd as you brake...maybe. Its inexperience thats doing that so dont think about changing anything but yourself. Rolling a throttle fwd to accelerate would be like gravity falling upwards to any motorcyclist.

Yeah, I know it's bass-ackwards to people that have done it before, but just think in terms of what's intuitive. The British bikes used to have the rear brake on the left and the clutch on the right, and I imagine most would find that bass-ackwards as well.

I know it's inexperience that's doing it, so of course I know it's me that needs the changing.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    Rental place has a R1200 GS for next weekend...maybe that will convince him that it's worth spending more (it's not that he doesn't have it, he just thinks 14k is too much to spend when there are good japanese bikes for 7k).
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    Rental place has a R1200 GS for next weekend...maybe that will convince him that it's worth spending more (it's not that he doesn't have it, he just thinks 14k is too much to spend when there are good japanese bikes for 7k).
    I depends on his use for a bike...a GS as a commuter alone, no...as a fang bike, no but something that will drop of the tar onto gravel & keep going stacked to the eyeballs in gear (weight) but still work well as a commuter & fang bike, yes.

I went to a downhill mountain bike event on the week end. There was a creek to cross so all the road bikes parked on one side but i just hit it on the GS like a 4 year old kid playing in the rain.

Its nothing but horses for courses just the same as cars & with every bike as the same with cars... there is a compromise of some description.

I ride a GS because im so tight that i only breath in thus i dont pay for high wear & tear/maint...its like on fuel for a 1100cc bike...its very very quiet...its got an electrical system that was made to handle real accessories. It just does everything right but pose...thats for the italian/japanese race replicas. That said im 6'3 & i still find it a big bike to manouvre about the place like parking etc.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I depends on his use for a bike...a GS as a commuter alone, no...as a fang bike, no but something that will drop of the tar onto gravel & keep going stacked to the eyeballs in gear (weight) but still work well as a commuter & fang bike, yes.

I went to a downhill mountain bike event on the week end. There was a creek to cross so all the road bikes parked on one side but i just hit it on the GS like a 4 year old kid playing in the rain.

Its nothing but horses for courses just the same as cars & with every bike as the same with cars... there is a compromise of some description.

I ride a GS because im so tight that i only breath in thus i dont pay for high wear & tear/maint...its like on fuel for a 1100cc bike...its very very quiet...its got an electrical system that was made to handle real accessories. It just does everything right but pose...thats for the italian/japanese race replicas. That said im 6'3 & i still find it a big bike to manouvre about the place like parking etc.

Is yours the GS Adventure or the regular GS?

I really think the R1200R would be THE bike for him - the mix between comfort and sport he wants, 31.5" seat height isn't too bad, shaft drive - but nobody rents them and he refuses to take a test drive because none of the local dealers have demo bikes, and he won't test drive a bike that he doesn't think he'll buy (he thinks $12,600 is too much when there are jap bikes for less, he can afford it though, which is why I think a ride would win him).
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 22, 2007
    the new R1200R is a phenomenal bike. I had the pleasure of taking one for a spin. Since its so much lighter than the 1200RT (dad's) or the GS (mine), but same engine, it feels like a rocket ship! Add the BMW system cases and you have a great touring bike.

gus - you really get my attention with that Yammie supermoto. I recon that probably costs less than half a new BM, eh?

let's hurry up and get that unit so we can spend some of your days off bike shopping! nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    Out of curiosity, for myself, does anybody make a decent 50cc any more? It seems that nowadays 50cc means either a track bike that is not geared to be used on the street, a kids bike, or a scooter, but when I look at old issues of Life magazine, I see ads for old motorcycles back in the day that were full size, but still quick because they were super light.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    Out of curiosity, for myself, does anybody make a decent 50cc any more? It seems that nowadays 50cc means either a track bike that is not geared to be used on the street, a kids bike, or a scooter, but when I look at old issues of Life magazine, I see ads for old motorcycles back in the day that were full size, but still quick because they were super light.
    50cc was never quick. Man there are grass trimmers with bigger donks. They were made back when old men used them as commuters. All 2 strokes thus much higher running costs over a 4 stroke. They are dirty/noisy by comparrison. Go find one & lift its bum off the deck to fell its weight then go & lift the bum of a modern 600cc. Then take both for a ride.

Modern road bikes are very closely approaching 1000 hp/ton at the rear tyre straight off the show room floor....they are quick, really flamin' quick.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    gus - you really get my attention with that Yammie supermoto. I recon that probably costs less than half a new BM, eh?

let's hurry up and get that unit so we can spend some of your days off bike shopping! nod.gif
    I can really see your missus on the back of that thing.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Modern road bikes are very closely approaching 1000 hp/ton at the rear tyre straight off the show room floor....they are quick, really flamin' quick.

That I know, but a 50cc bike that could be used a communter would be nice because then one doesn't have to pay for insurance.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    That I know, but a 50cc bike that could be used a communter would be nice because then one doesn't have to pay for insurance.
    No...it downright dangerous to have traffic overtaking you...that is the best possible way to have a car take you out. A 50cc will not keep up with fast moving traffic at all. Scooters have all but taken over here in parts & they are suicidal the way they sit so low in mirrors & slower than traffic.

I dont change lanes on my bike...i commandeer lanes & i will defend my space like a castle under seige...if you dont then they will get you.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    No...it downright dangerous to have traffic overtaking you...that is the best possible way to have a car take you out. A 50cc will not keep up with fast moving traffic at all. Scooters have all but taken over here in parts & they are suicidal the way they sit so low in mirrors & slower than traffic.

I dont change lanes on my bike...i commandeer lanes & i will defend my space like a castle under seige...if you dont then they will get you.

If I did get a 50cc, it would just be to drive the 3 miles of neighborhood streets to get from my apartment to school, to spare my car the short trips - obviously I know better than to go on real roads which such a thing, a person would have to be suicidal.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    If I did get a 50cc, it would just be to drive the 3 miles of neighborhood streets to get from my apartment to school, to spare my car the short trips - obviously I know better than to go on real roads which such a thing, a person would have to be suicidal.
    Plenty of 50cc scooters that fit that bill.

The 50cc's of yesterday, which you nostalgically think were so light and quick, were most likely heavier than today's 600cc's. And anything was quick compared to a 1955 Buick.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Plenty of 50cc scooters that fit that bill.

The 50cc's of yesterday, which you nostalgically think were so light and quick, were most likely heavier than today's 600cc's. And anything was quick compared to a 1955 Buick.

Can you recommend one (or several) in particular? It seems to me, anyways, thast the 50cc bikes of yesteryear that I'm talking about weigh <175lbs and had ~5hp, whereas the ones of today all have ~2hp. Also I hate that scooter look.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    Also I hate that scooter look.
    If you hate that look, I can't help you. All 50cc's are step-through these days.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    If you hate that look, I can't help you. All 50cc's are step-through these days.

There seem to be a lot that aren't...just not in the US. Also, there appears to be one brand, Derbi, that makes non-step-through 50cc's and has a US distributor, but information on them is sparse.

Ok wow...even if I do go for the step-through look, scooters cost WAY too much ($2k...I would have thought $1k). I may just take my brother's (not in use) old Fuji racing bicycle and use that. There is a major roadway that one has to go on, but it has a bicycle lane IIRC...I'll have to bicycle 3 miles a few times this weekend and see how tired I get/how long it takes...been forever since I rode a bicycle (stopped my junior year of high school when I broke a leg hitting a car).
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    Sorry doc & ian. I tried.

Marlin Spike will now & forever be known as a....

scooter rider & NOT a motorcyclist.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Sorry doc & ian. I tried.

Marlin Spike will now & forever be known as a....

scooter rider & NOT a motorcyclist.

The motorcycle would be for my dad, not me. I have neither the license nor the desire to pay for the insurance on another vehicle. The scooter ain't happening...too much $ for what it is. I guess I'll just drive my hot rodded Benz and take the long way to school and back.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 22, 2007
    'spike, if you want a SCOOTER for a 3 mile trip, do yourself a favor. Get a bicycle. Not only will you be fitter but you won't end up with a nickname lol3.gif

Since you're in college, get a used one with a funky paint job. Less likely to be stolen.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Since you're in college, get a used one with a funky paint job. Less likely to be stolen.

Eh hem...law school! My brother has an old Fuji racing bicycle he isn't using...old enough to be made out of steel, but new enough to still be fairly light and VERY fast. Though I have to scope the area out again. Someone told me that it's not as bicycle friendly as I remember. Anybody familiar with the Williamsburg area?
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    Does anyone here have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and want to measure the cargo area for me? I'm wondering if something 73" (but narrow) can fit if I put the seats down (don't own one, would be renting).
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    Does anyone here have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and want to measure the cargo area for me? I'm wondering if something 73" (but narrow) can fit if I put the seats down (don't own one, would be renting).
    please don't put a motorcycle in the back of a Grand Cherokee! lol3.gif

But back to cars... it seems there is still some car lust left in me, and it burns for this new offering:
    thumb-official3.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    please don't put a motorcycle in the back of a Grand Cherokee! lol3.gif

But back to cars... it seems there is still some car lust left in me, and it burns for this new offering:
    thumb-official3.jpg

Coming stateside in 2008 and can be had with the 300hp 3.0...mmm das macht mir spass.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    There was a British Auto Show in my town today. I only had time for some quick snapshots, maybe next year I can spend some more time.

The full gallery is here.

193108703-M.jpg

193109068-M.jpg

193109535-M.jpg

193109719-M.jpg

193109871-M.jpg

193110108-M.jpg

193110027-M.jpg

193109992-M.jpg

193110647-L.jpg

193110850-M.jpg

193111093-M.jpg