edited January 22, 2008 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007
    gus wrote:

Yikes! So is the 1DsIII. That was unexpected. eek7.gif

And the crowd are going wild! rolleyes1.gif

Every feature of the 40D was leaked more than a week ago, so reading that looks sooo familiar.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Interchangable focus screens - nice!

ISO in viewfinder!!!

Live view. I don't know if I'd use that, but nice nevertheless.

Trying to figure out if there's a way to lock the mirror up with a single button press. ??? Anyone find that yet???
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    THANKS A TON!!

I knew it would be coming soon but i didn't know there was any info out on it yet! So thanks for letting me know!
    The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Yay
    Great news!
    Is it compatible with 20D/30D battery/grip wise?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    No - new body - new grip.

Canon need extra money too :ivar

BG-E2N
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Some easy to read info here along with some samples...rally car in poor light @ ISO 800 & its a huge file to pick over.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Whole buncha lenses too. Uh oh. I hope there's nothing there I need. Or think I need.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Yay! I've been hoping it would be out in time for the shootout, I've been wanting to upgrade from my rebel XT

Anyone know when it will actually start selling?
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thats it. Time for me to upgrade. Time to step-up my Canon body game.. Hahaha..
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    40D Yay! Well now, I've got my birthday present picked out.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great news!
    Is it compatible with 20D/30D battery/grip wise?

Battery - yes.

Grip - According to the write-up on dpreview, it will take the BG-E2 and the BG-E2N. I'm guessing the BG-E2N has the AF-On button on it?
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    I especially enjoy that the 40D will not shut down when you open the CF door, and will instead give you a warning and a countdown of how many more images are being written to the card.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Good Heavens Gus......... did you see the RRP in Australia for the Body ONLY is $2,000 eek7.gif

Why Mr Canon WHY??? .... Skippy rolleyes1.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Images are processed at 14-bits for a greatly expanded colour depth, providing smoother gradations and exceptionally accurate colour reproduction.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Whole buncha lenses too. Uh oh. I hope there's nothing there I need. Or think I need.

eh... the lenses are pretty boring. Canon slapped IS on the kit lens to appeal to the market. Its still the same ol plastic mount hunk of junk. The 55-250 IS lens... looks like another ho-hum lens thats based on the 55-200. The 14mm/2.8L does look interesting if you have a full frame body, but its outrageously priced and doesn't make sense to anyone with a 1.6x body cause the EF-s 10-22 is available for under a third the price.
  • Options
    The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    No - new body - new grip.

Canon need extra money too :ivar

BG-E2N

If you look at these two links that are right off the canon site it is the same grip......Battery Grip BG-E2

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=15653

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10464
    The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Those just go to the main body page, no mention of grips I see. From this page it appears that the grip is different (BG-E2N), I see a locating pin not on the BG-E2 and they mention it's sealed. So, different grip, same batteries.

I'm kind of torn now. The additional updates to the 40D makes it quite tempting, but I still don't feel the uncontrollable urge to run out and replace my trusty workhorse 20D. It's still incremental changes. It seems Canon has nowhere to go with these bodies now. I still feel my best upgrade path is a Mk II N (either of the Mk IIIs would be real nice except for the price)--that's where I see the best bang for my buck.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007

I'm kind of torn now. The additional updates to the 40D makes it quite tempting, but I still don't feel the uncontrollable urge to run out and replace my trusty workhorse 20D. It's still incremental changes..

I tend to agree, but the increments are starting to add up. I'm just hoping my 20D lasts till the 60D is released, which ought to be a whole new ballgame.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Dos and donts
    The things I don't care much about:
    * 10mp (vs 8mp)
    * partial sealing (you can't be partially pregnant)
    * antidust thingie (from all the reviews, it compilcates thigns a lot but does not help much compared to a $10 blower)
    * all the new lenses (the new wide L looks nice, but I don't have a FF body, so 10-22 covers all my needs; the rest seems to be rather entry level glass)

The things I do like:
    * sRAW
    * interchangeable focusing screen
    * bigger and better viewfinder
    * wireless transmitter
    * Live View
    * improved buffer and continuos drive speed
    * 3" LCD
    * improved menu system
    * improved AF system
    * extended CFs
    * ISO in the VF (at last)
    * 3 user settings

It also looks like it's grip/battery compatible with 20D/30D, so this is great, since I can still use my 30D as a spare and they will be interchangeable...

I may wanna snatch one, even at the premium price.:-) Hopefully they start selling them before the shootout :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    larger dynamic range is what i'm diggin...
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Amazon is saying September 20th.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Amazon is saying September 20th.

I wonder if they would ship to glacier? :)
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    It also looks like it's grip/battery compatible with 20D/30D, so this is great, since I can still use my 30D as a spare and they will be interchangeable...

A quote from the Canadian Press Release:

Accessories
    New system accessories for the EOS 40D SLR include the redesigned high-capacity Battery Grip BG-E2N, which facilitates high-volume shooting and easier vertical shooting. Compatible with up to two BP-511A battery packs or a set of six AA-size batteries, the battery grip approximately doubles the number of shots that can be taken, compared with the battery power of the EOS 40D SLR alone. The BG-E2N grip features new sealing material around the battery compartment to better resist water and dust. The new model replaces the original BG-E2 grip and is compatible with the EOS 20D, 30D and 40D models.

http://canon.ca/english/index-pressrelease.asp?lng=en&cat=1&id=615&arc=0
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    I want to see this. thumb.gif
    Larger, bright viewfinder
    Frame coverage remains the same at 95% however magnification goes up from 0.90x to 0.95x, in use this is clear to see, indeed it would be fair to say that the EOS 40D's viewfinder view appears as large as that of the EOS-1D Mark III. It's a noticeable improvement.

I find myself tempted to move to a couple 40D cameras for most of my work and get some new lenses, 17-55/2.8 and 70-300 DO. I could cut down about half my weight from the 1D mkII and 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IS. My back would appreciate that at the end of the night and with the savings I could get a 1Ds mkIII. :patch rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Larger Dymanic Range?
    sirsloop wrote:
    larger dynamic range is what i'm diggin...

Now you've got my attention - could you say more about this or give me a link with some info? I didn't notice anything about DRng in the DPReview posting.

The DRng of my old 300D sucks, IMO, with the sun burning out something awful if it's in the frame.:cry

Thanks,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    In2PhotosIn2Photos Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Now you've got my attention - could you say more about this or give me a link with some info? I didn't notice anything about DRng in the DPReview posting.

The DRng of my old 300D sucks, IMO, with the sun burning out something awful if it's in the frame.:cry

Thanks,
    Dane
    There is a feature called Highlight Tone Priority (also available on the 1DIII) that will reduce blown highlights.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    The Canon website says the BG-E2 is compatible w/:
    "EOS 20D
    EOS 20D EF-S 18-55mm Kit
    EOS 20Da
    EOS 30D
    EOS 30D EF-S 18-55mm Kit
    EOS 40D
    "
    I don't know why everyone considers the antidust thing a minus. As I said in the 1Ds III thread, compared to the cams I've used without it, I've never had to pull out my dustblower on my XTi.

With my lowly 400D, I'm not worrying about these annoying dust spots that I used to get in my 350 images anymore.
    This was with my 350.
    IMG_0939.JPG

This 40D is looking like a mighty nice body for me.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    A quote from the Canadian Press Release:

Accessories
    New system accessories for the EOS 40D SLR include the redesigned high-capacity Battery Grip BG-E2N, which facilitates high-volume shooting and easier vertical shooting. Compatible with up to two BP-511A battery packs or a set of six AA-size batteries, the battery grip approximately doubles the number of shots that can be taken, compared with the battery power of the EOS 40D SLR alone. The BG-E2N grip features new sealing material around the battery compartment to better resist water and dust. The new model replaces the original BG-E2 grip and is compatible with the EOS 20D, 30D and 40D models.

http://canon.ca/english/index-pressrelease.asp?lng=en&cat=1&id=615&arc=0

So sounds like the new grip will be backwards compatable to the 20 and 30's. But the old grip won't work with the 40.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    bham wrote:
    So sounds like the new grip will be backwards compatable to the 20 and 30's. But the old grip won't work with the 40.

The older grip BG-E2 will work with the 40D. It is unclear if the new grip BG-E2N will work with the older cams.
    My Smugmug