Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks, David.

I just set the other monitor up - first issue - mouse cord not long enough. I imagine it is easily fixed with a wireless mouse.

Boy, these monitors are sweet.

too kewl!

Plug the mouse into the keyboard.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    WooooHaaaaaaaa! That is uber cool!!!!
    Thanks!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Plug the mouse into the keyboard.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Garage Band - 12 yr old boy, musically inclined... need to keep him away from my new toy!!!!

Gosh, these monitors are really nice.

Now, install PSCS3, transfer a few RAW files over, and maybe emerge from this room in time for work on Monday.

ann
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Garage Band - 12 yr old boy, musically inclined... need to keep him away from my new toy!!!!

Or buy him one. mwink.gif

Oh, and don't show him PhotoBooth!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Congrats on the new goodies, Ann! I've been following this thread and enjoying reading about what you decided to get and your first impressions. We are looking to make a similar transition. To hear you talk about your new monitors makes me want to run out and buy stuff tomorrow...and since it's my b-day, why not? mwink.gif Well, I think we'll wait for Leopard at least. Anyway, I hope you keep us updated on your impressions and ask your questions publicly so we can learn too! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    A big thumbs up thumb.gif for TextExpander.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hot Corner rocks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Hot Corner rocks.
    ha ha awesome!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    ha ha awesome!
    thumb.gif Thanks!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks Elaine. I am trying not to be totally intimidated!!!Just finished installing and registering PSCS3. I think I will move a few gigs of photos over, and spend the day playing/learning and testing.

Last night I looked at photos I have posted on smugmug..one photohas this rally wierd reflection in it that I had not seen before- on the PC monitor and on my husbands laptop and my work monitor - I do not understand how I couldn't see it on any other machine. But it is there, none the less.

I will keep you posted, and I am sure I will be crying out for help several times this weekend!

I have 3 basketball teams to shoot tomorrow - but not a tight delivery deadline for them so that should be fine.

ann
    Elaine wrote:
    Congrats on the new goodies, Ann! I've been following this thread and enjoying reading about what you decided to get and your first impressions. We are looking to make a similar transition. To hear you talk about your new monitors makes me want to run out and buy stuff tomorrow...and since it's my b-day, why not? mwink.gif Well, I think we'll wait for Leopard at least. Anyway, I hope you keep us updated on your impressions and ask your questions publicly so we can learn too! :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann,

You need to calibrate that monitor, even if only by eye. The default gamma on Macs is 1.8, and you need to change it to 2.2. The reasons behind this are long and boring, but just do it. But the gamma alone could be the reason that you're seeing stuff you didn't see before. 1.8 makes the image look lighter.

If you have a hardware monitor, use it, and make sure the gamma is 2.2.

Otherwise, go to your System Preferences:

?>System Preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate. Turn on expert options. You'll be shown a series of Apples in a box, your job to make it disappear. Squint your eyes, and take your time. It's certainly no match for a good hardware calibration, but it's better than nothing. At the end make sure you set the gamma to 2.2. You can leave the white point at native.

Good luck! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    So, that's not easy! It was easier to get on the cinema display than the iMac. Can't really be sure I got it right but I'm sure y'all will tell me if I am way off.

Any other settings to change?

What about aRBG vs. sRBG - that's something to pay attention to when saving files after edting, right?

ann
    PS: This image has a 'reflection' of the hotel on the right - do not understand how it is there, and I have only realized it existed once I looked at it on the apples. This is one of the last images with my 17 - 85.....
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann,

You need to calibrate that monitor, even if only by eye. The default gamma on Macs is 1.8, and you need to change it to 2.2. The reasons behind this are long and boring, but just do it. But the gamma alone could be the reason that you're seeing stuff you didn't see before. 1.8 makes the image look lighter.

If you have a hardware monitor, use it, and make sure the gamma is 2.2.

Otherwise, go to your System Preferences:

?>System Preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate. Turn on expert options. You'll be shown a series of Apples in a box, your job to make it disappear. Squint your eyes, and take your time. It's certainly no match for a good hardware calibration, but it's better than nothing. At the end make sure you set the gamma to 2.2. You can leave the white point at native.

Good luck! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    aRGB and sRGB are settings that aren't Mac or PC specific. You have to figure out your own workflow, there are plenty of posts here on that.

Yeah, there are other settings and things that we could go over, but nothing imperative that you do now. Getting your monitor on 2.2 gamma is important, the rest can happen more slowly. Just have fun for now!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks, David - yep I got a form for that 'up to date'. Funny, the sales guy's vote was aperture ('most real photogs use aperture') and I was sure the vote here was for lightroom....so I will wait and maybe try both trial versions.

Sales guy's vote...yeah right. If you want some actual statistics......
    Aperture vs. Lightroom: What do the pros use?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thank You! Hope Apple pays you extra :D

ann
    DavidTO wrote:
    aRGB and sRGB are settings that aren't Mac or PC specific. You have to figure out your own workflow, there are plenty of posts here on that.

Yeah, there are other settings and things that we could go over, but nothing imperative that you do now. Getting your monitor on 2.2 gamma is important, the rest can happen more slowly. Just have fun for now!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So, that's not easy! It was easier to get on the cinema display than the iMac. Can't really be sure I got it right but I'm sure y'all will tell me if I am way off.

Any other settings to change?

What about aRBG vs. sRBG - that's something to pay attention to when saving files after edting, right?

ann
    PS: This image has a 'reflection' of the hotel on the right - do not understand how it is there, and I have only realized it existed once I looked at it on the apples. This is one of the last images with my 17 - 85.....
    That is wierd Ann. The only half baked idea I can come up with is if you were hand holding my grad ND and you weren't covering the entire lens and it is a reflection off the back side of the filter. Because the hotel was behind us at that spot. Any other ideas?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Yeah, that is the only explanation I can come up with as well.ne_nau.gif

Glad that I can finally see things like that. Have spent all morning playing, tried photo merge, ACR, Bridge...lots to learn, but at the same time pretty similar to PSP and the PC.
    First edited image
    ann
    gluwater wrote:
    That is wierd Ann. The only half baked idea I can come up with is if you were hand holding my grad ND and you weren't covering the entire lens and it is a reflection off the back side of the filter. Because the hotel was behind us at that spot. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yeah, that is the only explanation I can come up with as well.ne_nau.gif

Glad that I can finally see things like that. Have spent all morning playing, tried photo merge, ACR, Bridge...lots to learn, but at the same time pretty similar to PSP and the PC.
    First edited image
    ann
    I'm going to give it to you straight Ann. I think your image is too dark and you should have used a tri-pod rolleyes1.gif. Look at your histogram. All your data is in the top and bottom third. You have no midtones. Try using a curve to bring out your midtones but don't touch the sky. This is where masks are a life saver. If you haven't bought it yet, get Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Masking & Compositing . It is well worth the money and is very easy to understand if you are new to masks. Or at least check out the reading group we did here at the link above. We never actually finished the write up but it is still worth checking out. Here is a quick edit on your web sized image.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    As always, Nick is rightbowdown.gif ..except about the tripod for this shot!

Yes, I have some learnin' to do. and masks will be part of it. However, just yankin the middle of the curve did make a difference - although I do think one must be careful not to destroy the mood of the time of day..this was presunrise and the lack of mid tones helps portray that somewhat.

So, all this tells me is that we need to organize another workshop soon!mwink.gif

gluwater wrote:
    I'm going to give it to you straight Ann. I think your image is too dark and you should have used a tri-pod rolleyes1.gif. Look at your histogram. All your data is in the top and bottom third. You have no midtones. Try using a curve to bring out your midtones but don't touch the sky. This is where masks are a life saver. If you haven't bought it yet, get Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Masking & Compositing . It is well worth the money and is very easy to understand if you are new to masks. Or at least check out the reading group we did here at the link above. We never actually finished the write up but it is still worth checking out. Here is a quick edit on your web sized image.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    As always, Nick is rightbowdown.gif ..except about the tripod for this shot!

Yes, I have some learnin' to do. and masks will be part of it. However, just yankin the middle of the curve did make a difference - although I do think one must be careful not to destroy the mood of the time of day..this was presunrise and the lack of mid tones helps portray that somewhat.

So, all this tells me is that we need to organize another workshop soon!mwink.gif

A workshop to make sure you get the most out of your image for print? Great idea! Stay tuned! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    The neverending Mac monitor question. Alright, we all know that people prefer the matte over the glossy screens. But how much of a difference is there between the 17" MacBook Pro Matte sceen and the 23" Cinema? Also, do users with the 17" MacBook Pro find it too big? Basically I'm trying to decide on a MacBook Pro vs a Dual 3.0 DualCore MacPro with 23" Cinema. If I do go with a MacBook Pro it would be a 17" and no additional monitor or a 15" and a 23" Cinema. I would not be purchasing this for at least 4 months so I have time to change my mind an infinite number of times. So what's the opinion of the Mac gurus around here?
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    But how much of a difference is there between the 17" MacBook Pro Matte sceen and the 23" Cinema?

Don't know the exact answer to your question, but if the color gamut plots in this article are any indication, even the best MacBook/MacBook Pro screen will not be close to any desktop LCD. Also, the 17" still uses the older, conventional CCFL backlight, which in the linked article is shown to be inferior to the color rendition of the new LED backlight in the 15" MacBook Pro, which is still not as good as an iMac screen, much less a Cinema Display. Given all that, I'd conclude that the current 17" MacBook Pro LCD is probably not close at all to the 23" Cinema Display.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Again, WooooHaaaaa! This sounds great David. Looking forward to details.

Spent the whole day playing and learning. Read about sRBG v aRBG for web display and even figured out how to change settings so that the files get converted to sRBG ( i am not 'tupid after all!). And I do see a difference in how they display on smug:
    sRBG
    aRBG

The mouse and I have not become bosom buddies yet. Minor detail.

And I haven't tried to do anything other than play in CS3 today. I am very impressed with ACR compared to RSE. And photomerge is working just like everyone said it would.

Thanks for all the support.

ann
    DavidTO wrote:
    A workshop to make sure you get the most out of your image for print? Great idea! Stay tuned! :D
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Yet another Mac newbie thread
    Alright. So I'm just about to jump over to the world of Apple and need two pieces of advice. My plan, after much contemplation, is to purchase the Macbook 13" 2.16 GHz in white. I'll upgrade the ram on my own after purchase. My questions are about external storage and monitors.

1. External storage. Currently have a PC with 4 drives (all formatted in NTFS) - 500 GB SATA, 250 GB SATA, 320 GB EIDE and 160 GB EIDE. The 320 GB is currently in an external housing and holds backups of my photos. I use Lightroom that is currently processing on the 500 GB drive. I expect that I will use both computers for photo processing for the near future but will likely switch to mac-only very soon after. So, what should I do as far as storage? Leave the photos on the 320 GB and plug this in to the Mac whenever I work with LR? If so, do I need to reformat this drive to another file format? Anyone have good success with using a NAS for primary storage of photos in this type of scenario?

2. Monitor. Currently have a Dell 17" but would like to upgrade this. I'm looking for an s-ips monitor that is under $500. Likely will try for the Dell 2007 WFP. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
    E
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:

I've got four USB mice lying around and the one I've chosen to not use is the one made by Apple.

On my Photoshop-equipped Mac Pro? Wacom tablet FTW!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    I know the Apple mouse is not everyone's best friend, but I like it, quite a bit. Especially at work where I do a lot of horizontal scrolling in my video timelines. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:

I got a Logitech MX400 and set the thumb buttons to do cool stuff like bring up the Dashboard & All Windows. Better for me than hot corners.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    The neverending Mac monitor question. Alright, we all know that people prefer the matte over the glossy screens. But how much of a difference is there between the 17" MacBook Pro Matte sceen and the 23" Cinema? Also, do users with the 17" MacBook Pro find it too big? Basically I'm trying to decide on a MacBook Pro vs a Dual 3.0 DualCore MacPro with 23" Cinema. If I do go with a MacBook Pro it would be a 17" and no additional monitor or a 15" and a 23" Cinema. I would not be purchasing this for at least 4 months so I have time to change my mind an infinite number of times. So what's the opinion of the Mac gurus around here?

Bear in mind that a laptop will do damage to your neck faster than a desktop, if you don't need a laptop get the desktop.

The 23 cimema is a different experience altogether from any 17 screen after you have been staring at it for hours. Much bigger, certainly easy on the eye, and the extra desktop space makes a real difference

I had an earlier version of the 17 laptop and whilst the screen wasn't too big to look at it was annoying to carry about size wize, compared to the 15" that I now have.

So if that was my choice, Id go for the desktop + 23" cinema, without a doubt
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2007
    All:

I merged a bunch of Mac threads (14, actually!) into this one. Let's keep all the Mac stuff in this one place, eh? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    All:

I merged a bunch of Mac threads (14, actually!) into this one. Let's keep all the Mac stuff in this one place, eh? thumb.gif
    thumb.gif