Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    nonono... I'm saying that the mac will have built in networking which means you won't need that dlink device. But if you're keen to go wireless (not required) you can do that with a wirless router too. But you don't have to, you can just plug in your router to your mac with an ethernet cable (10 base T).

no no no non on nopno non nopno nn onononnonon

I need wireless, i want wireless...i have a wireless router...i have one PC currently running wireless on it and one plugged into the router.

Can i use a generic USB ethernet card such as the D-link (i have 2 of them)on the imac or do i have to shell out for the airport named one ?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Gus,

Your link isn't working for me, but I'm going to assume that you're asking about this Mac, which has WiFi and Bluetooth built in, so it should work out of the box with your wireless router, no problem.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    The iMac has the wireless card built in - it will pick up the signal from your existing router. No $ necessary!

gus wrote:
    no no no non on nopno non nopno nn onononnonon

I need wireless, i want wireless...i have a wireless router...i have one PC currently running wireless on it and one plugged into the router.

Can i use a generic USB ethernet card such as the D-link (i have 2 of them)on the imac or do i have to shell out for the airport named one ?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    My new set up

Just for grins

Turning green over here! rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Got it tks guys.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Got it tks guys.

Pretty much any hardware question you have about that machine will be answered on that page I linked. Unless it just doesn't make sense to you, in which case let us know.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Got it tks guys.

I think all macs can come with WiFi gus.

My Mac Mini is set up to access my network wirelessly via my DLINK router with WiFi -- as are my laptops.

What is really cool, is a network printer that is wifi enabled. Then you can print from any computer on your network to the printer. ANd the printer does not have any wires except a 110 volt power plug.

Gus, is the voltage and CPS 11V 60cycles in Australia, or is your home electric power different than in the US?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think all macs can come with WiFi gus.

Not the MacPros! It's an option on them. ne_nau.gif

I was pretty frustrated about it at work, I got a wireless KB and mouse, all excited about using with my MacPro at work. No go. Had to buy a Bluetooth adapter. And the adapters won't wake the Mac from sleep, as the built-ins will. :cry I guess the techs at work figured I wouldn't need it. And, I guess, I didn't really NEED it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I was pretty frustrated about it at work, I got a wireless KB and mouse, all excited about using with my MacPro at work. No go. Had to buy a Bluetooth adapter. And the adapters won't wake the Mac from sleep, as the built-ins will. :cry I guess the techs at work figured I wouldn't need it. And, I guess, I didn't really NEED it. :D

I said CAN come - not DO come deal.gif:D

My Power Mac doe not have it, but I have the antenna to add it, if I wanted to add it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Gus, is the voltage and CPS 11V 60cycles in Australia, or is your home electric power different than in the US?
    Its all standard household power is 240 volt 50 cycles here. Except for the people that req 3 phase & that is 415 volts.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

WiFi = wireless internets (networking)
    Bluetooth = short range wireless for your mouse and such.

not the same thing. not the same card in your mac pro.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    WiFi = wireless internets (networking)
    Bluetooth = short range wireless for your mouse and such.

not the same thing. not the same card in your mac pro.

rolleyes1.gif

I know that! Sheesh, just tellin' a story!

( It was misleading how I wrote that, though. WiFi and Bluetooth are options on the highest end Macs. Go figure, all that money and you gotta pay extra for them.)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    ( It was misleading how I wrote that, though. WiFi and Bluetooth are options on the highest end Macs. Go figure, all that money and you gotta pay extra for them.)

:bwg

going back to my hole now
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    So im now happily sitting typing away on my new iMac...all i can say is WOW , what a screen !!

My old CRT is beside it & i cant believe how dull & ordinary it looks beside the mac. So there you go...im out of the closet at last.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    So im now happily sitting typing away on my new iMac...all i can say is WOW , what a screen !!

My old CRT is beside it & i cant believe how dull & ordinary it looks beside the mac. So there you go...im out of the closet at last.

First thing to do, Gus, is to calibrate your monitor. If you don't have a hardware calibrator, go to the Apple Menu>System Preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate.

Turn on advanced, and get ready to squint your eyes. Take your time and make sure that at each step the apple in the box disappears. At the end, make sure you change the gamma from the Mac default of 1.8 to 2.2, you can leave your white point at native.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    First thing to do, Gus, is to calibrate your monitor. If you don't have a hardware calibrator, go to the Apple Menu>System Preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate.

Turn on advanced, and get ready to squint your eyes. Take your time and make sure that at each step the apple in the box disappears. At the end, make sure you change the gamma from the Mac default of 1.8 to 2.2, you can leave your white point at native.
    Ta mate but i can only just open a web page at the moment...this is sooo alien to me. That can be docs job this arvo.

I havnt got off the photobooth since i got home. how much fun is that ??
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    ok..im updating everything in it & it has got to iTunes & it keeps asking me to ' please quit iTunes before continuing with this update' now im not in iTunes..ive opened it a few times & closed it.

Whats mac speak for 'control alt delete' so i can see what programmes are running ?
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    click on the apple mark in the top left corner. Choose "force shutdown", choose itunes, and you're set thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    also, use command + tab to toggle between programs like alt + tab in windows. Get it to itunes (so that it displays it on the top bar) then press command + Q to kill that program. Command + Q will completely shut down any program. Just clciking it on the red circle in the corner kills the interface, but leaves the app running in the background.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    click on the apple mark in the top left corner. Choose "force shutdown", choose itunes, and you're set thumb.gif
    thumb.gif tks mate.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    no wukkas. I went through all this myself about a month ago mwink.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    Data Loss Bug in OSX
    A serious bug has been reported in Leopard. Read about it here. It can happen when you are moving a folder to an external drive or other USB device. If something happens to the external device while the move is in progress (say, a cord gets disconnected or the device fails) the source folder is deleted even though the move did not complete. Files that were not copied before the failure go to bit heaven.

I have also seen claims that this problem is not new to Leopard but exists in previous versions of OSX as well. ne_nau.gif

There is an easy way to protect yourself until Apple comes up with a fix. Don't move folders to external devices. Copy them instead. When the copy has completed, then you can delete the source folder safely.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    ok..im updating everything in it & it has got to iTunes & it keeps asking me to ' please quit iTunes before continuing with this update' now im not in iTunes..ive opened it a few times & closed it.

Whats mac speak for 'control alt delete' so i can see what programmes are running ?

you cansee what programmes are running by looking in the 'Dock' - iTunes probably opens at startup (which you can change later when ytou get your head around to system preferences..)mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    thumb.gif tks mate.
    also Gus, cmd-alt-esc thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    also Gus, cmd-alt-esc thumb.gif
    tks mate...as soon as i find an 'alt' key headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Turn on advanced, and get ready to squint your eyes. Take your time and make sure that at each step the apple in the box disappears.
    Now, I'm no idiot, to optics even, and that sh*t just don't make sense! I have never, ever been able to complete that calibration. Ever. It's stupid. Gus, don't even try it, you'll toss it out the window, guarantee it.

At the end, make sure you change the gamma from the Mac default of 1.8 to 2.2, you can leave your white point at native.
    I ran 2.2 forever, going on the usual reading, that it's just "better". Just recently I switched back to default 1.8 and I like looking at my screen again. dgrin would hurt my eyes on 2.2, too contrasty. Maybe on gus's big gorgeous screen ne_nau.gif I really have stopped trying to keep up with all the what's "right" with color and calibration. The guys who spec'ed my Mac know better than me, so I don't pretend to be smarter anymore. Default all the way. I print like 1 thing a year, so it's more important to me that the screen is pleasing and easy on the eyes.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    tks mate...as soon as i find an 'alt' key headscratch.gif

alt = option

should be next to the apple (command) key...
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I ran 2.2 forever, going on the usual reading, that it's just "better". Just recently I switched back to default 1.8 and I like looking at my screen again. dgrin would hurt my eyes on 2.2, too contrasty. Maybe on gus's big gorgeous screen ne_nau.gif I really have stopped trying to keep up with all the what's "right" with color and calibration. The guys who spec'ed my Mac know better than me, so I don't pretend to be smarter anymore. Default all the way. I print like 1 thing a year, so it's more important to me that the screen is pleasing and easy on the eyes.
    Yabut, what about this?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Anyone having issues with Lightroom and spaces?

So far this is the only time I have noticed this, LR is running in 1, I am surfing/emailing from 2 and it keeps switching me back to LR. ne_nau.gif