Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    You could try booting up in safemode, see if that helps. That will start up with only essential OS stuff loaded, none of the other stuff that your apps need. You can't really work in it, but it would be interesting to see if it works better. You hold the shift key after the start-up chime to invoke safemode.

Can I start crying now? So now it starts disconnecting while copying filesne_nau.gif

I got it connected and started copying a big batch of files (the original files from lots of playing whoops I mean using the new camera) it said it would take a while (1 hour +) so off I went to do other things. Well it has now made a rant on my blog

Thanks one and all for the help, I think that this one is an issue with software in the OS on my MacBook as it will not connect via IP address either.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    That really sucks. Sorry you're having a problem.

At this point I would reinstall the system software, via archive and install.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    That really sucks. Sorry you're having a problem.

At this point I would reinstall the system software, via archive and install.

Yea, I am getting pretty close. What has me thinking though that it is an airport problem is that today it kicked the wife out also. I am beginning to think that the better answer might be to just hook the drives up to a desktop machine and share them. So I went to see if one can share a volume (http://www.apple.com/support/leopard/sharing/) and it doesn't look like it.

Anyone know if it can be done? The Google search resulted in Server solutions.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Yea, I am getting pretty close. What has me thinking though that it is an airport problem is that today it kicked the wife out also. I am beginning to think that the better answer might be to just hook the drives up to a desktop machine and share them. So I went to see if one can share a volume (http://www.apple.com/support/leopard/sharing/) and it doesn't look like it.

Anyone know if it can be done? The Google search resulted in Server solutions.

Yeah, you can share. You would have to sign in as a user to the computer that has access to the drives, though, I think. Or maybe as a guest would work for accessing the drive. But you can do it. I don't do exactly what you do, so I'm not really sure what kind of behavior (aside from it working) that you're expecting.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    I think there may be some experimenting going on over the next few days...
    -=Bradford

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    If your desktop is a PC running vista, you'll never get it to share a volume with a mac.

Maybe not never, but if it can be done, it isn't at all easy. I've tried and searched and pondered and headscratch.gif and messed with all the vista settings I can find (yes that one, and that one too) and hoped and :splat

Vista sucks. That's right PC-ers, it sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks.

Sucks!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    If your desktop is a PC running vista, you'll never get it to share a volume with a mac.

Maybe not never, but if it can be done, it isn't at all easy. I've tried and searched and pondered and headscratch.gif and messed with all the vista settings I can find (yes that one, and that one too) and hoped and :splat

Vista sucks. That's right PC-ers, it sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks.

Sucks!

Wow! I do (did) that all time with 3 Macs and 3 PCs running both XP Home and XP Pro. Yeah, you have to setup shares, and kill that Windows firewall, but it worked. Moved gigs of images back and forth, including to attached external drives. It was weird enough with XP and no server, but Vista is worse? One more reason to add to why I'm glad I moved to a MacBook Pro. clap.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
    I want to share Mac to Mac. For sharing to Windows machines there are thumb drives and USB hard drives and DVD...

However using Vista at the office for some stuff, it is a little challenging at times. I would not say it downright sucks, you just have to know specifically what to tell it. The change between Windows at the office and Mac at home has shown me that both (and probably any) Operating System has its flaws. But when one really sits and thinks about all the different permutations of Windows/PC hardware out there that Windows can support and how it hits 80% of the market pretty darn well it is amazing to think about.

is it perfect? Nope, is Mac perfect, nope. It is just deciding what is the right tool for you as the user.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    What is happening to Safari?
    I installed Leopard a while back, my Safari disappeared, i actually never used it. But now, i have to get so certain websites and it wont let me go there without Safari. So i made my search for Safari download and found nothing, except upgrade for Leopard, but i can't upgrade it because i don't have the original. I tried to inistall previous versions without any success. headscratch.gif

Anyone?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Safari 1.2:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safari.html
    EDIT:
    can't test this to be a non upgrade version since I'm not at home. But I'm fairly confident you can install w/ no issues.

Safari 3 Beta:
    http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Let me know if you need any other resources.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Thank you John, but i've tried that, it wont work. It tells me my system unable to run it. I'm assuming because of Leopard?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Sounds like you should post in Andys unsolicited Mac advise thread?

Wish I could have helped more.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 30, 2007
    The Safari on Nightingale's Mac with Leopard is Safari 3.0.4, just like on my Mac running Tiger 10.4.11

You mean you can't download Safari from the Apple website?

Here is the link -- http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ But it apparently does not list Safari for Leopard, but I will bet Safari for Tiger will run just fine.

No Browser? How about Firefox on Leopard - It works too.

Have you downloaded all the updates for Leopard from Apple Logo>Software Update also?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Mystery of the ringing bell
    This is driving me totally nuts and has been happening apparently randomly for a couple of weeks - the sound of a bell (like an old fashioned door or bicycle bell) comes from my Mac. Sometimes it rings just once, other times 3 or 4. It happened on 10.4 etc and still does in Leopard. I have noted the times when it happens - inconsistent, always have lots of apps open but nothing that has any kind of alarm set, and I can't think why this is happening - headscratch.gifscratch

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    I have FF and Camino, i need Safari for a specific website to d/l a software (it's a download link).
    It lets me d/l Safari, but when i go to save it to my HD it says precisely:
    "You cannot install Safari Update 2.0.1 on this volume. This software requires Mac OS X 10.4.2."

Mine is 10.5.1, and yes i have everything updated from Apple site. My updates run automatically.

headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    I was sent to this place regarding my issue with Safari browser. I hope someone can help me out here.

I've never used Safari with my Tiger software, but when i updated to Leopard, Safari it simply disappeared. Now, i can't get it back, i tried Apple website, but they don't provide d/l for 10.5.1, they only have Tiger version which doesn't run on my system.
    I have all my updates in check, how can i get safari back? ne_nau.gif

Anyone has any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Go to your Hard disk, in Library, receipts, there should be a package with Safari that works for your system.
    If not, if you have your original system disks, you should be able to find the installer package for Safari on that one too.
    If you have a mac account, try the iDisk and see under software if you find Safari there...

I think it is telling you that the original software package of Safari is not there. So it keep saying that you need Safari first in order to install this update. Which is not a full application, only an update. I am looking if I can find you a package to install safari
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Nope, i've looked, no package exists, only bookmarks from when i had it Laughing.gif.
    Oh boy!!.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 30, 2007
    Is it gone or gone from the dock? Open the finder and look in the applications
    folder. It should be a "compass" icon.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    What website on earth would *only* allow Safari? I've never heard of such a thing :)
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    It's a link to d/l for this software.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/free_demo

They sent me email for d/l page with trial version,
    Here is what email says:

"For Macintosh users:

If you see only a list of meaningless codes displayed on your browser when you hit the link above, you should set “Safari” as your default browser to be able to download DxO Optics Pro demo version. To set “Safari” as your default web browser, launch “Safari”, go into the “Safari” menu and click on “Preferences”, set your default web browser to “Safari” and close the window;
    Because the Macintosh clock sometimes synchronizes itself automatically, some demo versions may expire earlier than the 15 days specified. We do advise that you deactivate your automatic clock synchronization (in "System Preferences / Date and Clock) to fully enjoy your version."
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    It's a link to d/l for this software.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/free_demo

They sent me email for d/l page with trial version,
    Here is what email says:

"For Macintosh users:

If you see only a list of meaningless codes displayed on your browser when you hit the link above, you should set “Safari” as your default browser to be able to download DxO Optics Pro demo version. To set “Safari” as your default web browser, launch “Safari”, go into the “Safari” menu and click on “Preferences”, set your default web browser to “Safari” and close the window;
    Because the Macintosh clock sometimes synchronizes itself automatically, some demo versions may expire earlier than the 15 days specified. We do advise that you deactivate your automatic clock synchronization (in "System Preferences / Date and Clock) to fully enjoy your version."
    And you tried Firefox?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Yep, and Camino and IE. Neither will work. ne_nau.gif

What i need is an original Safari that came with my Tiger, which i no longer have.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    It's gone. I actually have a discussion in 'Phinishing Forum", sorry if this is a repeat thread.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    It's gone. I actually have a discussion in 'Phinishing Forum", sorry if this is a repeat thread.

I've merged it into the Unsolicited thread.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:

What i need is an original Safari that came with my Tiger, which i no longer have.

Why would you want that when you're running Leopard?

First, I think it must be there. What are the chances that you unknowingly threw away an application? Did you do a lot of throwing away in your applications folder? Have you searched for it with Spotlight?

Second, if you have deleted the app, then you could reinstall the system software. Or try doing an update first.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    I probably deleted it, i just can't remember. ne_nau.gif
    I was thinking reinstalling Tiger back and go from there.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Marina, that page works just fine for me using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on my Mac.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    And you running Leopard? All i get is bunch of jumbo-mumbo codes headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch

Wait, this page you're looking at is fine, i'm talking about d/l page:

http://octopus2.dxo.com/4.5/Mac/Demo/DxODMSetup.dmg
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    And you running Leopard? All i get is bunch of jumbo-mumbo codes headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch

Wait, this page you're looking at is fine, i'm talking about d/l page:

http://octopus2.dxo.com/4.5/Mac/Demo/DxODMSetup.dmg

In FF, right-click on the link in this quote, and choose "Save Link As". It will download the file just fine.

Not sure why it's such a PITA, but that'll work for you.
    Moderator Emeritus