Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    KED wrote:
    But to dub it you presumably need an external CD drive anyway, so why bother . . . why not just run it as is off that drive?
    Cuz I have 3 machines. Just giving my take on it:D
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'd just dub the disk onto a standard size and drop it in the slot.

I had one of those a while back that my desktop pc cdrom drive wouldn't accept a quick email to the company and they sent me a full sized cd for free... it was hand burnt, I suspect by the support person that took my email. I had asked for them to just email me the .iso file, or a url to download it... but apparently they didn't make the software available on the web. (which is why I was emailing them in the first place, my searches were turning up nothing.)

Which brings me to my real point: I've found that an even better solution is usually to look on the web for newer drivers anyway. I think the last dozen things I've got that came with a cd with any kind of drivers or manual or anything... first thing I've done is go online and find the current version... usually newer. I don't know why anyone bothers to include "hard" copy these days.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    That's a really good point. I have a local computer shop w/ guys that really know their stuff. They gave me the same advise. Don't even bother w/ the CD. Who knows when it was pressed and what updates have happened since then. Especially since I run.. Dare I say it in this thread? nah....:D
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    On another-but-related note, I have learned that it is possible (and easy) to make a USB 2.0 bootable drive for intel macs. This means you could disk image your boot CD/DVD onto a USB HDD, flash drive (or, uhm, iPod) and boot from that in an emergency. The goodness comes when you use that boot drive in conjunction with your drive tools like Mac OS Disk Utility, Drive Genius, Disk Warrior, etc...sweet!

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update

Detailed info at the above link on Apple's website.
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Aperture 2.0 is out! clap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    Where is the 'download now' button ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Where is the 'download now' button ne_nau.gif
    Right here: productnav_btn_trial20080206.gif.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    From a quick review of the features, it looks like it has been made to look a lot like LR 1.3. I switched from Aperture to LR, and I'm not going back, not even for $99. I'm sure it's a major improvement and Aperture users will no doubt be thrilled. I know it has been much looked-forward to for a while now.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    KED wrote:
    From a quick review of the features, it looks like it has been made to look a lot like LR 1.3. I switched from Aperture to LR, and I'm not going back, not even for $99. I'm sure it's a major improvement and Aperture users will no doubt be thrilled. I know it has been much looked-forward to for a while now.
    I tried Lightroom when it was still in beta and, while fast, it never really attracted me. I've been using Aperture for quite a while now. It's unbearably slow at times (I'm running what is probably the bare minimum system, a 2GHz MacBook with 2GB of RAM), but I like the overall workflow. I'm anxious to see what the speed improvement is like with A2 on that same system. I'm also reading that Aperture 2 now supports plugins for image editing, so hopefully we'll see some new functionality there (I hear good things about plugins for managing noise in Photoshop).
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    I tried Lightroom when it was still in beta and, while fast, it never really attracted me. I've been using Aperture for quite a while now. It's unbearably slow at times (I'm running what is probably the bare minimum system, a 2GHz MacBook with 2GB of RAM), but I like the overall workflow. I'm anxious to see what the speed improvement is like with A2 on that same system. I'm also reading that Aperture 2 now supports plugins for image editing, so hopefully we'll see some new functionality there (I hear good things about plugins for managing noise in Photoshop).
    A2 looks like it may throw you a workflow curve as they have now rearranged the editing boxes into the same top-to-bottom order as in LR (1.3 anyway). Of course you needn't be a slave to their arrangement of boxes.

The NN and Noiseware plugins for PS are nifty indeed. But you can almost, if not just, as easily round-trip out of Aperture to either of the standalone versions, or you can roundtrip to Photoshop out of Aperture and use the plugins inside; I gather, though, that you prefer to do all your work inside one app, which is perfectly understandable.
  • Options
    greendoor imaginggreendoor imaging Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Mac help
    Hello all
    So researching the internet for help I've decided to Put my needs here... headscratch.gif

I have a Mac OSX running 10.4.2 (I think, have disc & update regularly) so ... when working in Imovie I did this
    1. test saving (sharing) for slideshow .... and about 2000 png files saved to desktop (ouch)...
    2. cant see desktop
    3. finder - relaunched and no go.. just spinning
    4. tried a trick(s) from internet hoping the files would save in a new folder but no go
    5. opened in "Safe mode" no go...
    6. can find png files with spotlight.....
    7. can use this computer but the finder just spins and spins

I have tried a few "backdoor" key stroke hold your nose and dance on one foot tricks but they did not work for me... "Safe mode" finder laughs at me and still spins... desktop rebuild ... can't get it to open in that mode...

So knowing my "Mackie" saved herself from me can anyone give a few help tips... I'm willing to try anything before I pull out the big guns and nuke her..... ( I'm backed up, always) oh if she will let me.. Thanks so much for your help...

Cheers,
    Erin
    Erin L. Hubbs
    Greendoor Imaging
    "My portraits are more about me than they are about the people I photograph. ~Richard Avedon"
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Update OSX first
    Your problem sound strange. The current version of Tiger is 10.4.11, so I would advise updating the OS first. If the same problems exist ping the forum and we'll get smarter.

M
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I've yet to load windows on my mac, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or has any input on Virtual Box.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've yet to load windows on my mac
    OMG, is hell about to freeze over? I better turn on the telly :D
    I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or has any input on Virtual Box.
    From the list of known issues cited in the link, I'd say it's clearly not ready for prime time. Might be worth keeping an eye on, though.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    Heh. May never happen. But I like to understand the options. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 14, 2008
    The bits that are missing in VB make it more alpha software. At least IMHO.

Once it's feature complete, I bet it gives Parallels and VMware a run.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've yet to load windows on my mac, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or has any input on Virtual Box.
    I had Parallels when I was running 10.4; I'm not sure whether they have caught up with 10.5.x, but it was too much hassle for too little actual need. Going forward, I'll do my Windows stuff at work, and won't pollute my Mac with it for my photographic and other needs at home. But my point is, if you need to run Windows, my pre-Leopard research indicated that Parallels was pretty well established and won't break the bank.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    I think VMWare's Fusion has pretty much eclipsed Parallels since then. Parallels were the first ones out the door, but VMWare has apparently developed a product that's faster, more reliable, (prettier), and with much better customer support. I bought Parallels when I got my MacBook a couple of years ago (wow...) but haven't bothered to upgrade. It worked well, but I'll probably buy Fusion if I have a need for another VM solution.
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Apple Network Sharing...
    Now that I have an Apple Laptop, I would like to be able to access my Mac Pro from this laptop. When I had my windows box, it was as easy as clicking "share drive" on the drive properties... I don't find that option here.

I am sure it is very simple, but after searching around on Apple.com I am coming up empty.

Oh... Can I use a drive installed in my Mac Pro as an external drive for Time Machine?

Thanks Apple guru's!!!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Figures.... I found it!

Right after I post, looking like a dufos! I have access! YAY! wings.gifbarb

Thanks Anyway!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Ooops....

Still can't get Time Machine to see those drives (the ones in my Mac Pro) though....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:

Use this at your own risk.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Ya.... Now I am having issues. It looked like it was going to work, and I was just to greedy/excited to get it running fast I think and didn't really think about what I was doing.

Now, I get an error message:

A unexpected Error occured (Error code -6580) so now I am off to google to find out what that means.

I guess the worst case is I have to wipe the hard drive and start over. With a 1 day old machine that is not to bad....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Okay, I did a fresh install of OSX to drop that script.... I am back up and running. When I set up the MBP this time, I had it plugged into a Ethernet cable, and time machine found the network drive that I wanted to use. Well I selected it, but now that I am wireless it won't see it. Any ideas? Is there a trusted way to get Time Machine to see a wireless network drive, other then the one Apple is releasing? Actually that is not a bad price for the 1TB unit is it?

Anyway, until that comes out, is there a way to use TIme Machine for me?

Oh, 1 other question, can I use the software that came with my MBP to upgrade my Mac Pro? I know that is not the intention, but will it work? If I can save the extra $129 I would like to put that towards the 1TB drive.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Time Machine does not support what you are trying to do. Apple is coming out with hardware to do it, which is an Airport with a built in drive, but in the meantime, you have no Apple endorsed method of doing that, and I just wouldn't even try, myself. I just plug mine in to the FW drive occasionally.

I suggest you slow down a bit. Having already reinstalled your OS, you are making things much more difficult at this point than they need to be, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Ya, I agree that I got ahead of myself with that script. If there is no "safe" way of doing it, then I will wait. Apple makes some seriously nice hardware, and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks David.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I use Fusion and BootCamp. One of the reasons I chose Fusion is the fact that I can use other virtualizations from a pretty wide selection. It was pretty cool to be able to bring my LAMP server into my friendly neighborhood wizard on a memory stick and he was able to help me tweak it to get it to do what I wanted. (I am just using it as a testing server on occasion).

However with the list of items that Virtual Box says it does not support, I agree and say it would be alpha/developmental more than something to consider at the moment. If they can keep the footprint small I would consider it. However the fact that I can access the BootCamp partition through VMWare fusion is pretty useful for me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Anyone one else having issues tethering a Canon 5D to their mac via OS EOS Utility via Mac OS 10.5?

I can connect via 10.4 without a problem, with 10.5 it shows a message similar to "LCD busy..."

I don't know what fixed the problem, but my 5D will now tether with 10.5. I don't know if it had anything to do with the EOS Utility update or simply good luck. ne_nau.gif

I do have to set "Auto Power Off" to Off on the 5D, but it works. wings.gif