Options

MacDaddy 3.0.3

Comments

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    It should be adding the keywords from iPhoto automatically, if that's not the case, can you please post the url of a gallery where this isn't happening.
    Cheers, David

Errr please excuse the mistake of a newbie...

You guys rocks :) and I should wear my glasses and not look near the middle of the night!

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Another Request:

How about a "refresh" button so that you can choose galleries that you create through a web browser.
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    just downloaded and tried this little beauty clap.gif Great job guys thumb.gif Thanks.
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    mac uploader and iphoto 5
    I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer. I recently downloaded mac uploader 3.01 and I use iphoto 5 for exporting images from. When I tried dragging a selection of photos, the photos would never queue up in the uploader and I would just get a spinning ball. I would have to force quit and then I would see that the uploader was not responding.

I uploaded 1 photo to test and that worked, but anything more just caused a spinning beach ball.

I reverted back to old version 2.0 and it seemed to queue and upload like it did before.

I am using the lastest and last version of OSX 10.4 and the latest and last version of iphoto 5.

Any ideas why the photos won't queue up and upload?
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Hi,

I just dragged and dropped a bunch of photos and movies and it's quite happily uploading the photos, but just doesn't recognise the movies.

Will it support movies in the future ?

Andrew
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 3, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Hi,

I just dragged and dropped a bunch of photos and movies and it's quite happily uploading the photos, but just doesn't recognise the movies.

Will it support movies in the future ?

Andrew

yes, a new version is on the way thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    yes, a new version is on the way thumb.gif

Cool - don't forget to take a look at that iView software that you can re-use - then you could integrate like a media browser ala iLife

http://www.karelia.com/imedia/

You can use it for free too - so it's the right price mwink.gif

If you want anyone to test etc. just let me know

cheers
    Jase
    (a fellow Aussie and Melburnian too thumb.gif but living in Europe)
  • Options
    EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Hey there,

Does MacUploader check for duplicates yet?

And I just uploaded a bunch of stuff from iPhoto, and found that some of the videos were split into the wrong categories...I'm trying it over to see if it's reproduceable, since I've been on and off a variety of wireless networks while uploading.

Thanks!,

D

Edit: The program isn't handling movies right. When I tried to upload 4 movies, it went and found 56 (I had two categories called "Junior" that it lumped together, which totaled 56), then proceeded to upload the videos from the wrong category. It only ever uploads ~1/2 the videos before it skips on to the next category. Also: it works perfectly find on my version of leopard, so long as I stick to pictures.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    A request
    Howdy All-

So I have been doing some uploading of photos and creating galleries, what would be nice is if one could go directly to the gallery after the upload is complete so that the theme and other things could be applied.

Figure never hurts to ask :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jaseonejaseone Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Am trying to use the Mac Uploader for the first time but am not having much joy, I can create new albums just fine and even edit the existing ones but when I match iPhoto albums up with destination galleries then hit upload, it does the "Processing iPhoto data" step then locks up trying to upload the first file with the status bar not moving at all for the file.

I'm still on Tiger, running all the latest patches excepting the latest security patch that came out the other day so does anyone have any ideas? my account is at http://jaseone.smugmug.com where you can see all the empty galleries just waiting to be filled with photos!

EDIT: Would it make a difference if my iPhoto library is on an external drive? (Yes it is mounted) I've tried it with iPhoto open and iPhoto closed with the same result, also tried logging out and back in within the uploader with no joy...
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    jaseone wrote:
    Am trying to use the Mac Uploader for the first time but am not having much joy, I can create new albums just fine and even edit the existing ones but when I match iPhoto albums up with destination galleries then hit upload, it does the "Processing iPhoto data" step then locks up trying to upload the first file with the status bar not moving at all for the file.

I'm still on Tiger, running all the latest patches excepting the latest security patch that came out the other day so does anyone have any ideas? my account is at http://jaseone.smugmug.com where you can see all the empty galleries just waiting to be filled with photos!

EDIT: Would it make a difference if my iPhoto library is on an external drive? (Yes it is mounted) I've tried it with iPhoto open and iPhoto closed with the same result, also tried logging out and back in within the uploader with no joy...

I don't think that it should make any difference, how photos are in the album you are trying to upload ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    I don't think that it should make any difference, how photos are in the album you are trying to upload ?

I was trying to upload a LOT to multiple galleries but even if I just try one album of 20 photos to a single gallery it still does the same thing.

I tried looking for logs and what not for debugging but couldn't find anything so is there anything I can look at to help diagnose the problem?

EDIT: I was using the iPhoto exporter plugin previously mainly as it allows you to resize the images as they are uploaded but wanted to try the uploader for older pics so I could batch them overnight.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    I see it creates a SmugMug MacUploader.growlTicket file but doesn't seem to do much else, Growl 1.1.2 is working fine for other applications like Adium and even if I disable Growl notifications it doesn't help.

EDIT: Am even trying an album with just 4 photos to a single gallery and it still just does the processing iPhoto data then brings up the file name of the first image with no thumbnail and empty status bars.

EDIT 2: If I drag and drop those 4 images from iPhoto to the files tab then they upload fine so the prob lem seems iPhoto specific

EDIT 3: Could it be because these images aren't within the Iphoto library itself? (I imported them from a separate directory and didn't realize I didn't have the copy to iPhoto library option checked)

EDIT 4: I think we have a winner with edit 3 as I just tried one of my more recent albums that has it's photo's located within the iPhoto library directory structure and it kicked off fine, any suggestions on how to deal with that?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    jaseone wrote:
    EDIT 4: I think we have a winner with edit 3 as I just tried one of my more recent albums that has it's photo's located within the iPhoto library directory structure and it kicked off fine, any suggestions on how to deal with that?

I will check into it and get back to you.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Does this work on Aperture yet?
    I'm having issues of my keywords and captions not transferring with my photos I export to SM using both SmugExport and ApertureToSmugMug. I need these functions to work and thought I'd give MacUploader a try if it works with Aperture. I couldn't see evidence that it works here.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wdhpgxwdhpgx Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    XML parser error
    I installed this on one machine, it runs fine, works great. I installed it on a second machine, and when I run it, it's complaining:

Error
    XML parser error:
    Encountered unexpected character k on line 29120
    Old-style plist parser error:
    Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex

Following a previous post, I deleted the com.apple.iApps.plist file and ran iPhoto to let it re-create it, but the error did not change. (When I removed the file and ran Uploader *before* running iPhoto, the error was "debug" "returning nil" as someone else described in a previous post).
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I'm getting "stream contains no bytes" or something very close to that every time I launch the uploader. If you logged this somewhere (console log, anyone ;-) ) I could post the exact message.

This is relatively recent behavior -- I suspect either the upgrade to 10.5.2 or to the Safari 3.1 beta caused the problem.

It's not a fatal error -- everything seems to continue okay once I dismiss the dialog, it's just a bit annoying mwink.gif
  • Options
    GhettomasterGhettomaster Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2008
    I have the same problem like jaseone. I can't upload any picture from iPhoto. The smugmug Uploader shows the same behaviour.

iPhoto Version is 7.1.3 (364)
    Mac OS 10.5.2

CU
    Ghettomaster
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    still getting the XML parser error
    Just installed version 3.0.2, hoping it would fix the above error (Encountered unexpected character k on line 29120), but I'm still getting the exact same error. Tried again to delete com.apple.iApps.plist and re-run iphoto, but still the same thing.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    wdhpgx wrote:
    Just installed version 3.0.2, hoping it would fix the above error (Encountered unexpected character k on line 29120), but I'm still getting the exact same error. Tried again to delete com.apple.iApps.plist and re-run iphoto, but still the same thing.

PM sent
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    (I actually replied via PM, but I figured it'd be worth posting in case anyone else might find it useful.)

With David's help I was able to locate the problem. It appears the offending lines in the Pictures/iPhoto Library/AlbumData.xml looked like the following:

<string>12 <key>106</key>
    <string>2007 <key>385</key>
    <string>359degrees <key>1</key>
    <string>bw <key>41</key>
    <string>pipes <key>216</key>
    <string>skyline <key>25</key>
    <string>tuesday <key>91</key>

rather than the rest of the lines which looked more like:

<key>385</key>
    <string>2008</string>
    <key>176</key>
    <string>desk</string>
    <key>361</key>
    <string>iphone</string>

ie, they seemed to be missing a closing "</string>" tag.

Those keywords were not ones I had created myself in iphoto, but seem to have come along when I imported a few images from a friend -- I forget exactly how I imported those (it's been awhile) but I think I imported them directly from flickr via safari; I think the keywords were actually part of the EXIF in the images.

In any case, once I removed those keywords from iphoto, all the lines in AlbumData.xml looked much more proper, and the Uploader ran without any errors. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    In the previous version (3.0.1), I could create a link to the MacUploader and put it in Lightroom's "export actions" folder, then it would open the uploader with the image(s) in it ready to go.

When I do the same for 3.0.2, it opens the application but the image(s) isn't in the list. I am able to drag and drop onto the app once it's open.

I also did a test by dropping a jpeg onto the application icon in the applications directory and it doesn't accept it, when you drag it over an application that will accept it, the icon is highlighted (try it over safari or Text edit, the applications on either side) but for the Smugmug MacUploader.app it stays blank, and if you let go of the jpeg over it's icon, it doesn't do anything. This worked fine for 3.0.1

is this just me?
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    In the previous version (3.0.1), I could create a link to the MacUploader and put it in Lightroom's "export actions" folder, then it would open the uploader with the image(s) in it ready to go.

When I do the same for 3.0.2, it opens the application but the image(s) isn't in the list. I am able to drag and drop onto the app once it's open.

I also did a test by dropping a jpeg onto the application icon in the applications directory and it doesn't accept it, when you drag it over an application that will accept it, the icon is highlighted (try it over safari or Text edit, the applications on either side) but for the Smugmug MacUploader.app it stays blank, and if you let go of the jpeg over it's icon, it doesn't do anything. This worked fine for 3.0.1

is this just me?

James,

I'll check it out this week.

btw, have you tried the SmugMug export uploader for Lightroom ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    James,

I'll check it out this week.

btw, have you tried the SmugMug export uploader for Lightroom ?

Cheers,

David

I was about to submit the same thing. However I am not sure if it is also due to the update to LR 1.4.

I think I will go in search of the SmugMug export uploader.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    I was about to submit the same thing. However I am not sure if it is also due to the update to LR 1.4.

I think I will go in search of the SmugMug export uploader.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76934
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008

It's not just LR 1.4, I am still on 1.3

I've used the LR plugin uploader but I like this one better. I'm often on a slow connection and it can take hours to upload a batch, it's nice to have the uploading in a seperate app.

I also have the mac uploader icon always in my dock so I could drag photos from a folder right onto it. very handy!
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    esterneesterne Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2008
    Me too
    jogle wrote:

is this just me?

I'm having this exact issue too.

Also I'm noticing that the new uploader has imported my list of customized gallery settings but when I choose one I'm not sure it's applying those setttings. Need to check my original settings to confirm this though.
  • Options
    TazooTazoo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Automagic support for 'events'?
    Very nice tool and I've been using it for couple of weeks.
    I am struggling with uploading large number of pics (~6000) that are distributed across several events in iPhoto.
    Currently, I'm having to create an album for each event :-(
    So, I have two feature requests for this wonderful tool:
    1. Is there an option to automagically create an album based on album/event name in iPhoto?
    2. Is there a way of creating album preferences that can be applied to all albums by default? I noticed that I am not able to set these in the 'Preferences' section.

Cheers.
  • Options
    tekiteki Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2008
    iPhoto: Smart gallery problem
    I tried to upload a a smart gallery (** greater than 2 and belong to the xy gallery).

There were 44 pictures in the gallery, but the uploader found 424. After the 44 pictures it just started to upload the same pictures again.

(iPhoto exporter seems to be fine.)
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Thanks for this... Loving it... Any chance you could think about doing a bit of spring-clean on the create new gallery dialogue menus?

Here's what I feel needs attention:

[1] The new gallery 'title' doesn't accept the universal Cut 'n Paste keycuts (CMD-V)... You can right click and select 'Paste' though...

[2] It would be a nice touch if this title was pre-populated by the checked gallery title from iPhoto (if one was checked of course, and not if more than one was checked!)... It's a time-saver...

[3] Setting the 'sort by' under the 'look and feel' tab doesn't stick... I'm trying to sort via 'filename' for what it's worth...

[4] Can you save the various gallery settings? There's a couple things i check and un-check each time I create a new gallery... It would be another time-saver to not have to flip between all the tabs and locate and remember what all the settings are supposed to be...

[5] Perhaps it's only my way of working, but since the 'hidden photo' feature was introduced into SmugMug, I upload my galleries as 'private', then hide various boring / duplicate / private photos through SmugMug, then make the gallery public... Any chance of using iPhoto's 'hidden photo' settings on upload, this would simplify things... Currently 'hidden photos' are not uploaded, but if they could be uploaded with the 'hide photo' SmugMug setting, that would be preferential... Perhaps this needs to be flexible for people who like the current behaviour...

I think that's it... Thanks again!
    Tim
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/