AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    A question...

Currently, whenever AlbumFetcher encounters a problem, the dowload stops. My reasoning has been that (1) the code is simpler, and (2) it makes it very obvious that a problem has been encountered.

Is there a big demand out there for an option which would enable the download to continue despite an error?

Thanks for feedback.

Yes, That would be a nice option. It would be even better if it kept a log of which files it had problems with.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    cjyphoto wrote:
    Yes, That would be a nice option. It would be even better if it kept a log of which files it had problems with.
    There is a log file already - it's in the same directory as your exe file. If I do the continue option, that info will surely be there. Thanks.
  • SimonG156SimonG156 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Just done a couple of albums - that is as good a the Picasa uploader! These two applets will make me renew Smugmug this year despite the fact I can't get my photos printed in the UK!

One suggestion, is it possible to show the album create date or most recentlast photo in album edit date or some other age indicator? Oh, and remember username password option. And finally click columns to sort by (name, no. of pics, date). Not forgetting - remember my last download folder location.

;-)
  • snadboysnadboy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2008
    Is there anyway for the Category and Sub-Category to automatically be included in the download folder path? For example, if the Download Options Folder Path is set to c:\snaps and I download Vacation->2005->AlbumA I would like it downloaded to c:\snaps\Vacation\2005\AlbumA.

This is especially a problem when I have two or more albums with the same name in different category/subcategory locations and attempt to download them both at the same time (i.e. by selecting multiple albums and clicking the Download button). I realize I can download them one at a time but if I am selecting a large number of albums I may not realize that duplicates exist.
    edited February 6, 2008
    SimonG156 wrote:
    Just done a couple of albums - that is as good a the Picasa uploader! These two applets will make me renew Smugmug this year despite the fact I can't get my photos printed in the UK!

One suggestion, is it possible to show the album create date or most recentlast photo in album edit date or some other age indicator? Oh, and remember username password option. And finally click columns to sort by (name, no. of pics, date). Not forgetting - remember my last download folder location.

;-)

All good ideas. Thanks for the compliments!
    edited February 6, 2008
    snadboy wrote:
    Is there anyway for the Category and Sub-Category to automatically be included in the download folder path? For example, if the Download Options Folder Path is set to c:\snaps and I download Vacation->2005->AlbumA I would like it downloaded to c:\snaps\Vacation\2005\AlbumA.

This is especially a problem when I have two or more albums with the same name in different category/subcategory locations and attempt to download them both at the same time (i.e. by selecting multiple albums and clicking the Download button). I realize I can download them one at a time but if I am selecting a large number of albums I may not realize that duplicates exist.

That's a fantastic suggestion. I will try to work this into the next release, but it may be a while.
  • pawprintzpawprintz Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    thanks!
    this program works great! thank you very much!! clap.gif

liz
  • sigvsigv Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    No extensions
    I just used it for the first time on my PC. WOrks great except that all of the photos do not have a .jpg extension - have no extension at all - is there something I have to set?
    edited February 29, 2008
    sigv wrote:
    I just used it for the first time on my PC. WOrks great except that all of the photos do not have a .jpg extension - have no extension at all - is there something I have to set?

Whoa, weird. Are you doing this on galleries that were created under the new secret key system?
    edited March 3, 2008
    AF v0.3.3 available
    AlbumFetcher v0.3.3 is available. The new version makes AlbumFetcher play nice with SmugMug's new security hotness. Enjoy!
  • Mr. CobMr. Cob Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    How about an older version................
    Howdy Greg,

As the new 3.3 is not at this time operable, is it possiable to down load an older version? I have had a recent computer crash and lost my photos, I would like to down load from my Smugmug account to my hard drive, thanks for any help you can give.
    Mr. Cob

Sometime ADV-Rider, all the time computer idiot and photographer wanabe

http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/
    edited March 6, 2008
    I'm confused... Why is v0.3.3 not operable? headscratch.gif
    Mr. Cob wrote:
    Howdy Greg,

As the new 3.3 is not at this time operable, is it possiable to down load an older version? I have had a recent computer crash and lost my photos, I would like to down load from my Smugmug account to my hard drive, thanks for any help you can give.
    edited March 6, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    I'm confused... Why is v0.3.3 not operable? headscratch.gif

Howdy Greg,

I tried it last night and it wouldn't work, in your post you mentioned something about the source not being available until it was checked for bugs. I havn't tried it today, perhaps you are now done with your testing. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll let you know how I made out. BEWARE, I don't know what I am doing around computers so I may ask for some guidance.
    Mr. Cob

edited March 7, 2008
    Mr. Cob wrote:
    Howdy Greg,

I tried it last night and it wouldn't work, in your post you mentioned something about the source not being available until it was checked for bugs. I havn't tried it today, perhaps you are now done with your testing. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll let you know how I made out. BEWARE, I don't know what I am doing around computers so I may ask for some guidance.

OK, here are your basic steps. I'm assuming you're on a PC running WinXP or Vista. If not, I'll have to ask for Mac users to help.
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file)
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop)
    3. Double-click the program icon
    4. In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password
    5. Click List Albums
    6. A listing of all your albums will appear
    7. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    8. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    9. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    10. Have a tasty beverage.
    Hope this helps!
    edited March 7, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    OK, here are your basic steps. I'm assuming you're on a PC running WinXP or Vista. If not, I'll have to ask for Mac users to help.
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file)
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop)
    3. Double-click the program icon
    4. In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password
    5. Click List Albums
    6. A listing of all your albums will appear
    7. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    8. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    9. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    10. Have a tasty beverage.
    Hope this helps!

Howdy Greg,

Thank you VERY MUCH for this short tutorial, I am going to print it out and later today when I have time give this another go.clap.gifthumb.gifdeal.gif
    Mr. Cob

edited March 7, 2008
    Mr. Cob wrote:
    Howdy Greg,

Thank you VERY MUCH for this short tutorial, I am going to print it out and later today when I have time give this another go.clap.gifthumb.gifdeal.gif

Happy to help. Let me know if you need anything further. Probably should have included something like this to begin with. :D
    edited March 7, 2008
    It works, YaHooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    wellman wrote:
    Happy to help. Let me know if you need anything further. Probably should have included something like this to begin with. :D

Howdy Greg,

YES, it worked. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

However I did have problems with the box that asks for your "SmugMug ID", I did not know that my "SmugMug" ID was different from my "log in" ID. After many failed attempts I went to my SmugMug control panel and looked around, there I noticed that what I assumed to be my SmugMug ID was very close but different from my log in ID. I opened your program and typed in what I figured was my SmugMug ID as it appeared on the control panel and I'll be darned if it didn't work. It's hard work being a complete computer idiot but with the help of folks like yourself I get by. Thanks.deal.gif
    Mr. Cob

• voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Album Fetcher Help With Keyword SM SEARCH ?
    Greg ( Mr. Wellman) ,

I'm trying to find some work around for the SmugMug "bug" lately - where it doesn't automaticaly add filenames to keywords anymore. I title all my photos before upload ( useful for me on my own harddrive) but these titles ( filenames) don't get added to my keywords, they can get displayed but they're not findable by SEARCH. With so many photos , it's just over the top to keep doing this twice all the time.SmugMug doesn't seem to be making any progress on this issue ; they tell me that it is a "bug" and that they DO want filenames to become keywords . So, I'm wondering if Album Fetcher could be of any help. Can it upload my titles/captions to smugmug in some iptc form easily, or would I have to retype them all in again to Album Fetcher ? I'm trying to figure if it's easier to download my galleries and have some app ( Album Fetcher ? ) automaticaly turn all filenames to keywords ( or captions) then upload back up - if that could be faster than going into bulk caption keyword in SmugMug and doing them all individually. Be nice if SmugMug had an option in that bulk caption area to just say "make all filenames into captions " or keywords .

Any thoughts,

Marty (http://photofur.smugmug.com/)
  • timojhentimojhen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2008
    Greg work -- many thanks!
    This made my day... thanks a ton. Saved me acres of time and appreciated there being such an elegant solution....

Timojhen
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    I got the latest verion.

At first, I used the login as guest with site password. My site has no "site password". I would think that a warning message should have occured as there is a mismatch; i.e., the supplied password does not match the site password.

The List Albums listed the albums. I guess that should work for all public galleries even if the password above was not correct. I clicked on a gallery and selected "Fetch Albums". Of course, this failed for any size selected. I have right-click protection enabled, and viewers can only see up to X3 size. What is not clear to the user is why it failed. Was the password wrong? Was that size not allowed for fetching?

So, I tried it again but this time logging on as "guest". Same issues as above.

I then made public a previously unlisted gallery. This gallery has a password with originals enabled. The gallery is still right-click protected. I logged in as a guest. I selected this password-protected album, choose original size, and then choose "Fetch Albums". This time the dialog box popped up and asked for the password for the gallery. I entered it. However, the download still failed.

From the log file:
    3/11/2008 10:27:45 AM: Requesting image information for album "TalentShow 2008"...
    3/11/2008 10:27:45 AM: Start REST transaction.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: Expect file of size 57180 bytes.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: Received file of size 57180 bytes.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: REST transaction successful.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: OK to download images from album "TalentShow 2008".
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: Downloading 264157861.jpg from TalentShow 2008 (1 of 59 total).
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: HTTP status not OK. Code: 404.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsBuffer call.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: HTTP status not OK. Code: 404.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsFile call.
    3/11/2008 10:27:46 AM: Download of image 264157861.jpg (Smugmug ID 264157861) from album "TalentShow 2008" failed. Download aborted
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Smug ID & Password...
    Thanks for this app! Just what I need.

question: WHERE is the smugmug id and password?

thanks again

MarkSB
    edited March 14, 2008
    id password
    Hi Mr Cob

I have been trying to find the actual
    id and password, can you say where you found it?

edited March 14, 2008
    MarkSB wrote:
    Hi Mr Cob

I have been trying to find the actual
    id and password, can you say where you found it?

Yes, the login and password are your login and password. AlbumFetcher communicates directly with SmugMug. There are no intermediaries looking at the data you send back and forth.
    edited March 14, 2008
    smugmug id
    wellman wrote:
    Yes, the login and password are your login and password. AlbumFetcher communicates directly with SmugMug. There are no intermediaries looking at the data you send back and forth.

Still can't log in...I use my email and my site name for the id...
    any suggestions?ne_nau.gif

I have sent and received the zip, so I guess it works without having to login,
    thanks for getting me there.
    edited March 14, 2008
    MarkSB wrote:
    Still can't log in...I use my email and my site name for the id...
    any suggestions?ne_nau.gif

I have sent and received the zip, so I guess it works without having to login,
    thanks for getting me there.

I must say I'm a little confused. Check out the first post in this thread and take a look at the short instructions. That will hopefully help some.
    edited March 14, 2008
    I've updated the first post of the thread with a short tutorial on using AlbumFetcher. Enjoy. :D
  • riddleywriddleyw Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2008
    Any hope for a mac version?
    I assume that the exe is pc only. Is there any hope of a mac version?

Congrats on an excellent program. It really fills a major gap for relatives who write to me complaining that they believe that smugmug wants them to buy the pictures, and that there is no mass download.
    edited March 21, 2008
    riddleyw wrote:
    I assume that the exe is pc only. Is there any hope of a mac version?

Congrats on an excellent program. It really fills a major gap for relatives who write to me complaining that they believe that smugmug wants them to buy the pictures, and that there is no mass download.

Strictly speaking, AlbumFetcher is PC-only. I believe some people have gotten it working on a Mac using Parallels, though.
  • seanmpuckettseanmpuckett Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Excellent. You just saved me several hours in perl!

I'd really like a checkbox that would preserve the original heirarchy of my categories and subcategories by use of subdirectories, though. All galleries within "Art" category would be placed within an ./Art subdirectory. Galleries in a "Toronto" subcategory in a "Landscapes" category would be in ./Landscapes/Toronto/ It looks like you have the category data in hand, so the only thing to do is prepend to the gallery directory titles.

Thanks for this.
    edited March 23, 2008
    Excellent. You just saved me several hours in perl!

I'd really like a checkbox that would preserve the original heirarchy of my categories and subcategories by use of subdirectories, though. All galleries within "Art" category would be placed within an ./Art subdirectory. Galleries in a "Toronto" subcategory in a "Landscapes" category would be in ./Landscapes/Toronto/ It looks like you have the category data in hand, so the only thing to do is prepend to the gallery directory titles.

Thanks for this.

Thanks for the nice comments. Your request is near the top of the "future to do" list, but I can't say when I'll get the time to work on it again.