Options

When??? (the future, or lack, of LPS)

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
When is dgrin gonna start the new contest??
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    When I have it ready.
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    When I have it ready.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Pass the word, it'll be worth the wait.

Hang in there, guys.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    so im assuming the entire format, rules, etc...must be changing to take so long starting back up?

i look forward to it! whatever you peoples come up with.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    so im assuming the entire format, rules, etc...must be changing to take so long starting back up?

I'd think that just coming up with the series of dual themes that are fresh, make sense and in a satisfactory progression would be a significant enough puzzle to take plenty of time.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    MarkTodd wrote:
    I'd think that just coming up with the series of dual themes that are fresh, make sense and in a satisfactory progression would be a significant enough puzzle to take plenty of time.

very true....need any sugestions i have plenty...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Pass the word, it'll be worth the wait.

Hang in there, guys.

The glasses are spreading... Eep! :hide
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Anticipation is keeping me waiting.....I have a feeling this is going to be awesome....I'm Totally STOKED!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    can't wait!
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    MarkTodd wrote:

I agree. I'd also add that looking back on the first LPS, there were some rounds that would generate 100+ entries and some that would generate 50-60 entries. I would think you'd want to come up with contrasting themes that are, dare I say, restrictive enough so that the rounds are distinguishable from each other and yet inspiring at the same time. Not too tall an order, eh?

Assuming of course there are still going to be contrasting themes... I do hope so!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008

Never assume.....
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Never assume.....

:D just a ploy of mine to get some info flowing...

thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Never assume.....

it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me":D (what my mom used to say)

-DK
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    dank-photo wrote:
    it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me":D

-DK
    I still have sponsor issues. Hang tight guys.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I still have sponsor issues. Hang tight guys.

sponsor issues?? they need to look at this site and just see how many people it really attracks. My thought is that they would be a little on the ignorant side if they didn't jump at the chance to back this!!!
    again, just my opinion. don't slap me hand with the ruler teach!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008

Awesome Site! thumb.gif If i had to choose I'll take a Hasselblad H3DII - that is one beast of a camera. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed this contest until it was gone.... Please sponsors...we'll buy - just give us our contest back......
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed this contest until it was gone.... Please sponsors...we'll buy - just give us our contest back......

I agree 100% ! Even though I only joined a couple of months ago. I entered a couple of the contests during that time and really enjoyed it. I find myself checking this forum more and more patiently waiting for the new contest. Even if i didn't enter the contest every week just thinking about the theme helped me try to think of ways to shoot out of the box. Which I think helped my creativity alot.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    I think I'm having withdrawal... come back to us LPS :cry
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    I think I'm having withdrawal... come back to us LPS :cry
    Still having issues. Not just sponsor, either. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Did someone say CONTEST!?!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Still having issues. Not just sponsor, either. Stay tuned.

Who's giving ya trouble? :beatwax I'm sure we can think of a way to del with them :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    Who's giving ya trouble? :beatwax I'm sure we can think of a way to del with them :D

15524779-Ti.gif put me in coach!!!
  • Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I agree! Give them a Dell with Vista and they will have so much trouble of their own they won't give you trouble. rolleyes1.gif
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Hi Guys, first it was sponsors (solved that!). But then it was our Host, Shay, who can't come back due to personal reasons. OK so, Erik and I were willing to persevere, without Shay, and figure something else out.

But, you just can't imagine the unending private messages from LPS contestants (and even winners!) that Erik and I have gotten, weeks later, after LPS I, that caused us to go over the edge. That this continues to happen is beyond my scope of imagination. That some members continue to question the contest, the rules, the winner, and the volunteers who made the contest happen, it boggles my mind.

I wish it weren't so, but we can't continue the LPS.

We plan on bringing back the Dgrin Challenges, bigger and better, if the community will become more involved in the running of things. Erik and I will be contacting some of you, to find out if you'll be willing to help!

Onward and upward.
  • Options
    annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008

We plan on bringing back the Dgrin Challenges, bigger and better, if the community will become more involved in the running of things. Erik and I will be contacting some of you, to find out if you'll be willing to help!

Onward and upward.

Andy,
    This is sad news indeed. I don't post frequently but I've followed the last contest with great interest and I have learned so much from reading and following posts in the wonderful commmunity!
    I'm sorry to hear that some people can not just let things go...and continue to complain and cry...
    I'll look forward to the new Dgin Challenges and definitely participate as I can. I'm also willing to help out in any way that I am I able.

Anna
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    But, you just can't imagine the unending private messages from LPS contestants (and even winners!) that Erik and I have gotten, weeks later, after LPS I, that caused us to go over the edge. That this continues to happen is beyond my scope of imagination. That some members continue to question the contest, the rules, the winner, and the volunteers who made the contest happen, it boggles my mind.

Wow, Andy, I can't believe that this phenomenal contest with so much comraderie had a 'dark' side that played out over PM. The LPS is what really cemented me in the dgrin forums and I feel I am a better photographer for having participated. I know that I have met some incredible people through it and can only hope that future contests/challenges will afford that opportunity to others. I, like many, found dgrin to be an oasis from some of those 'other' boards and I think the LPS played a major role in that. I'm very saddened to hear that it won't be continuing.
    Eyal
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Wow, Andy, I can't believe that this phenomenal contest with so much comraderie had a 'dark' side that played out over PM.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of wasted time by private message, to Shay, to Erik, to me, over the past 15 months. It's *shocking* and frankly, it's been a real downer, we tried not to let it affect us but in fact it was a real drag.

The LPS is what really cemented me in the dgrin forums and I feel I am a better photographer for having participated. I know that I have met some incredible people through it and can only hope that future contests/challenges will afford that opportunity to others. I, like many, found dgrin to be an oasis from some of those 'other' boards and I think the LPS played a major role in that. I'm very saddened to hear that it won't be continuing.
    Eyal
    We'll make up for it with amazing Dgrin Challenges. You'll still be able to learn and grow and be part of this great community.

Thanks for being here, Eyal.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Oh wow, this is just such a downer to hear that Dgrinners have been bombarding you mods with PMs about the LPS. How childish and selfish people can be to think mods have nothing better to do than read messages complaining about LPS. Personally, I have spent the time 'off' by viewing other photog's sites, constantly soaking in ideas for improving my own shots. Sorry for what you guys have gone through....very, very undeserving! I look forward to whatever you decide (and whenever). Dgrin has helped me and others to grow with and without the challenges. The community is, and will continue to be, a great place to learn. At some point, we all need to learn how to challenge ourselves as well. No hard feelings here guys....kudos to a great job and I hope there won't be too much 'whining' about your decision.