Options

My new BMW R12RT (was "Talk me out of it")

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Somehow this makes me believe that nobody will be able to talk you out of it. So go ahead, buy it, ride it and enjoy it. But don't say anyone I said anything about the buying part... mwink.gif

Well, you're right marlof. Everybody did a really poor job of talking me out of it. So I traded-in my 2002 R1150RT with 28K miles last Friday for a light granite gray 2005 R1200RT.

18420806-L.jpg

18649262-L.jpg

18649266-L.jpg

18649267-L.jpg

18649259-L.jpg

18420440-L.jpg

18649258-L.jpg

I bought the first R1200RT from San Jose BMW. Well before the April 1 debut that most dealers in the area have scheduled. Chris Hodgson, the owner and president of SJBMW, sent me an email last Thursday evening and said the ST and RT has landed and to come in and check them out. I was the first non-employee to demo their dark granite RT, and when I got back about 90 minutes later, I put dibs on the light granite RT they had in the back unprepped, as it had all the equipment I wanted, but ESA (electronic suspension adjustment). No cd/radio, but BC (bike computer), including oil level check on the LCD panel (no need for sightglasses anymore), and cruise control.

First impressions: the photos do not do this bike justice at all. First gear roll-on wheelies no problem. Tranny smooth. Great wind protection, but needs a screen from Cee Baileys. Overally impression: wow. This ain't your father's RT.

Some features:
    - electronic cruise control
    - partially integrated ABS (finally)
    - self-cancelling turn signals (finally)
    - bike computer (ambient temp (with ice warning), avg speed, mileage, etc)
    - Same driveline as the R1200GS, but different gearing
    - Heated (and separately switched) seats
    - Auto on/dimming display
    - color-matched saddlebags that don't have to be locked!
    - Dual H7 headlights
    - 44lb less than the 1150
    - 16% more hp than the 1150 (110hp / 85 lb-ft torque)
    - silky smooth tranny
    - adjustable clutch and brake levers
    - bulb-out warnings
    - real roundels on the fairing, instead of stamped aluminum crap
    - Integrated tankbag rack
    - Smart key (chipped)
    - Oil level indicator in display
    - Domke F4AF fits perfectly in left saddlebag, 12pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale fits perfectly in the right. What more could you ask for?
    and much much more.

clap.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    clap.gif man thats a lot of camera gear.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 1, 2005
    Nice fish! That laundry list of finally's is nice too.

Take for example the oil. There's this vodoo dance you do to find the level
    on my year. It's 10min on the side stand followed by 15 min on the center
    stand (that's to drain the oil cooler) then you hope the right thing happened
    and the level you read is accurate.

Don't know that I need a temp gauge to give me an ice warning though :D

Aside from blue, gray is the best color too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    clap.gif man thats a lot of camera gear.

um, no...actually it's a motorcycle. rolleyes1.gif

lol3.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Take for example the oil. There's this vodoo dance you do to find the level
    on my year. It's 10min on the side stand followed by 15 min on the center
    stand (that's to drain the oil cooler) then you hope the right thing happened
    and the level you read is accurate.

I know that dance well. Eventually I just gave up trying to get an accurate reading and figured if I could see any oil in the sight glass, then I was good to go. thumb.gif
    Don't know that I need a temp gauge to give me an ice warning though :D

You've never been riding up 108 toward Sonora pass and felt it getting colder and colder, cranked up the Gerbings, and wondered how long it was going to be before the road iced over? Not that I expect to use it very often, but I can certainly see the value in it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 1, 2005
    Awesome!! Congrats Fish!!! clap.gifthumb.gif

Funny you should say that this bike "isn't your father's" RT, because I'm about 99% sure that this is definitely going to be my father's RT. He is counting the days till he finally gets a day off work so he can ride it. I'm gonna forward him your photos too - they are fantastic! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I know that dance well. Eventually I just gave up trying to get an accurate reading and figured if I could see any oil in the sight glass, then I was good to go. thumb.gif
    Exactly.
    fish wrote:

You've never been riding up 108 toward Sonora pass and felt it getting colder and colder, cranked up the Gerbings, and wondered how long it was going to be before the road iced over? Not that I expect to use it very often, but I can certainly see the value in it.
    Oh, I know the value. I just don't want it to say ice :D

ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Congratulations, Fish. New bike glow, must feel nice. It sure sounds like a real performer. I reckon the looks will grow on me over time. I hope your new gig allows you the time to take it for some good distance jaunts.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Congratulations, Fish. New bike glow, must feel nice. It sure sounds like a real performer. I reckon the looks will grow on me over time.

Thanks Waxy.
    I hope your new gig allows you the time to take it for some good distance jaunts.

me too. :cry
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Awesome!! Congrats Fish!!! clap.gifthumb.gif

Funny you should say that this bike "isn't your father's" RT, because I'm about 99% sure that this is definitely going to be my father's RT.

yeah, well...your father is probably about my age. lol3.gif

thanks doc.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2005
    Finally some twisties...
    I finally got a chance to put the R12RT through the paces in the Santa Cruz Mtns Monday. Temps were in the high 40's much of the time. Grips and seat heaters were set to low and it was a very comfortable ride. I can't wait for that deadbeat down at Cee Bailey's to send me a beta screen. Definitely needs some height and width.

The route gave me about three hours of saddle time, and a stop at Alice's for a burger-n-fries. Good mix of tight twisties, high speed sweepers, and lots of uphill off-camber stuff to see if I could drag metal. The tires are still new, and I haven't built up a wet road trust in them yet, so I was probably riding between 5/10ths and 7/10ths. I reduced the chicken strips to 1/4" avg on the rear tire.

Obligatory skyline nose shot:

19020747-L.jpg

While I could certainly notice the weight loss program BMW put the RT through, it was much more apparent in the twisties. Simply much less weight to flop around. The brakes were standout performers. When hot-footing it, it's not obvious that they are servo assisted. I was told that they changed the ratio on the lever to 70% front / 30% rear. Regardless, I only dipped into the ABS once on a bumpy downhill hairpin with lots of gravel. It was barely noticeable. Considerably different than the more binary brake system on my 2002 of either full-on or full-off. Feel was very good and easy to modulate. Never locked up the rear tire alone.

Obligatory fullbike shot:

19020722-L.jpg

Power delivery is another standout area with the new engine. While the power curve is still relatively flat, it's just further north on the dyno chart. According to the mags, it's 0-62mph in 3.6 secs or something like that. While that may be true, 63-115mph is just about as fast. Holy smokes.

Gearing is quite a bit lower than my GS, which makes it easier to ride fast through hairpins and other tight stuff. A cautionary note: when coming out of 15mph rated hairpin in 1st, don't yank the throttle open. The new 180 tire hooks up plenty well and lifts the front wheel as high as you want it to be lifted, meaning you'd better know what you're doing and where you're headed when you blast out of hairpins, because you're gonna be riding a unicycle until you back off the throttle. What worked well for me was blasting out until the front started getting light, then short-shifting to 2nd. That keeps the wheel on the ground and there's enough torque to maintain serious momentum.

Speaking of gearbox. Very tight...very short throw. Very good for sport-riding. I've hit neutral twice early on, due to pilot error, but shift with confidence, and you won't miss a shift or find any false neutrals.

Obligatory weird wide angle shot:

19020780-L.jpg

Lastly, after about three hours in the saddle, I think most people will be quite pleased with the shape, angle, and firmness of the stock seat. It's firm (a good thing), well-shaped, and the angle is very neutral. No slipping forward under hard braking. Time will tell if it'll work for my fat ass, but so far, I've got no complaints.

Obligatory squashed bee on tripleclamp shot (notice entrails indicate he came up from under the clamp):

19020818-L.jpg

more later as I go further into the breakin period and I get more comfortable with the handling. The front suspension setup feels spot-on, but I need to work on the rear. Haven't figured out if it's lack of damping or too much preload yet.

Hasta,
    fish

:jose
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2005
    Great pictures and I look forward to hearing more after you've taken a long tour.

Ian
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Great pictures and I look forward to hearing more after you've taken a long tour.

Ian

Whatcha doin' tomorrow? Should be good weather for a run up to Westport. :D

j/k.
  • Options
    KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    The look of the new BMW R1200RT is starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about trading in my '02 RT on one. The technology employed is nothing short of brilliant, but the looks are...well...rather subjective.

Please talk me out of it, cuz I think I'm gonna be dreaming about one tonight (with Salma Hayek on the back, of course mwink.gif)

The GS is going to the grave with me, now that it's got my mom's spirit in it. thumb.gif

I guess its alright for older riders.
    ed
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2005
    keep posting reports like this (and glamour shots like those), and my dad and I will be buying matched RT's! What's this about the front end of an RT coming up in the air?!? I could never even dream of doing that on my dad's former 02 RT, no way! You make it sound like a sportbike, but with the long haul comfort of a Beemer...

do I really take the GS off road that much??? umph.gif

glad yer lovin' it thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Whatcha doin' tomorrow? Should be good weather for a run up to Westport. :D

j/k.
    Take a gander outside--maybe we can compare rain gear lol3.gif
    But that's one beautiful ride though. Maybe lunch in Fort
    Bragg? Noyo Harbor?

I might just get wet going home tonight...

Ian
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    keep posting reports like this (and glamour shots like those), and my dad and I will be buying matched RT's! What's this about the front end of an RT coming up in the air?!? I could never even dream of doing that on my dad's former 02 RT, no way! You make it sound like a sportbike, but with the long haul comfort of a Beemer...
    Don't just take my word for it...go test ride one. nod.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 7, 2005
    Darn You Fish.... That 1200RT looks Sweeeet!! I may have to swop my GS for it, and keep my Suzi DR650 for the back roads.

I am planning on 7-10 days in Albany Wyoming with my son in early June on the dual-sports. But the RT sounds like a barn burner on the highway. Wheelies no less!!

Might I ask what the freight is for a new RT decked out like yours? PM me if you prefer. Good to see you back on line again.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I might just get wet going home tonight...
    I walk into the office on a perfectly cloudy evening. Read the EDIS weather
    warning and the leave at 9:30PM--and it's crystal clear out. Go figure.

ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Super pics - the thing photographs well from the side. Thanks for a tasty ride report.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,751 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Congratualtions on the new bike. clap.gif
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    I hate Fish (jealousy rears its ugly head) rolleyes1.gif
    @ .

Enjoy the new ride Fish thumb.gif it looks and sounds sweeeet.

Tim
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    the thing photographs well from the side.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Its uglier than a bucket of smashed crabs & you know it. Probably very nice to ride though.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Its uglier than a bucket of smashed crabs & you know it. Probably very nice to ride though.
    this coming from a guy who rides an R1100 GS with the big ugly square headlight... rolleyes1.giflol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    this coming from a guy who rides an R1100 GS with the big ugly square headlight... rolleyes1.giflol3.gif
    Hey ....you forgot the huge ugly spotties !

807634-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Hey ....you forgot the huge ugly spotties !
    Wow, that thing didn't just fall off the tallest tree in the ugly forest, it got hit by every branch on the way down!!!

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Wow, that thing didn't just fall off the tallest tree in the ugly forest, it got hit by every branch on the way down!!!

lol3.gif
    You got that right.....but im yet to run over a road croc or dead roo since i put 'em on.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    You got that right.....but im yet to run over a road croc or dead roo since i put 'em on.
    I understand mate, just playin.

And I should fess up... I have the 140's :D

17927830-L.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

17927830-L.jpg
    Hey! What are you doing with my other bike?? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

17927830-M.jpg

Wow, that sure is really clean. Do ya ever really ride it?eek7.gif

I wash my GS once a year whether it needs it or not! Or NOT!!! My Suzi will get washed when I need to see some machinery parts for maintenance. My cameras are spotless. :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin