Options

iPhone Ca-raziness!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Yes, but you have to have a 3G or WiFi connection.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I avoid POP at all costs, so that I don't have to manage my messages twice. IMAP, FTW!

My webhost for my domain name does not allow sent messages to be stored on the server, so that makes IMAP difficult for me to use. Do you have a webhost that will allow sent messages to be kept on the server? I might try to make a switch soon. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I'm REALLY frustrated with the bluetooth on this thing. My built in BT in my Prius worked like a charm with my old phone. I was always told "Oh, you're driving? I had no idea! You sound great." Now all I get is "What? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. It sounds like you're talking into a paper bag. You're muffled, what?"

umph.gif

All Apple can suggest is turning off services: location services, wifi, push, 3G. Seriously WTF. It is so friggin' frustrating. The thing barely works.

I've reset it, restored it, reset all settings, re-paired it with the car, turned off everything but the BT. All. No. Go.

Again: umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    My webhost for my domain name does not allow sent messages to be stored on the server, so that makes IMAP difficult for me to use. Do you have a webhost that will allow sent messages to be kept on the server? I might try to make a switch soon. ne_nau.gif

You know, I've not looked into the details that much. I just like IMAP, so I use it.

I know that gmail offers IMAP, you could check that out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Is push email limited to 3G or wifi?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 24, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Is push email limited to 3G or wifi?
    push email is limited to MobileMe or Exchange. It'll work fine over EDGE afaik.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Can you create a file (pdf, doc, etc) on a Macbook, plug in the iphone, transfer that file to the iphone (somehow, but no internet access for the MB), then attach the file to an email in the iphone and email it?
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Can you create a file (pdf, doc, etc) on a Macbook, plug in the iphone, transfer that file to the iphone (somehow, but no internet access for the MB), then attach the file to an email in the iphone and email it?

As far as I know the only way to get a document into the iPhone at this point is to email it.

That really sucks, I would love to have a little app that would allow syncing of docs and viewing of them. You can view them in Mail in the iPhone, so the viewing is all there (.doc, .pdf, .pages, etc). You just have to email it. Blecch.

On another note, have you guys seen this on the power of bookmarklets on the iPhone? Cool! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    As far as I know the only way to get a document into the iPhone at this point is to email it.

That really sucks, I would love to have a little app that would allow syncing of docs and viewing of them. You can view them in Mail in the iPhone, so the viewing is all there (.doc, .pdf, .pages, etc). You just have to email it. Blecch.

On another note, have you guys seen this on the power of bookmarklets on the iPhone? Cool! thumb.gif

bummer. I thought there was an app that could do it, but maybe only for jailbroken phones. ne_nau.gif

It would be nice to have a finder for the iphone, plug into your laptop, search the HD and put what you want on the phone, maybe someday.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Looks like some developers are working on it, but it may be limited more by what iphone mail can do.

Can I email files from FileMagnet? Not yet, but we're working on it! The iPhone version of Mail doesn't support sending attachments, so this will require a bit of work.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 28, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    bummer. I thought there was an app that could do it, but maybe only for jailbroken phones. ne_nau.gif

It would be nice to have a finder for the iphone, plug into your laptop, search the HD and put what you want on the phone, maybe someday.

patch,

there is an app in the AppStore called TouchFS that does this

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    patch,

there is an app in the AppStore called TouchFS that does this

Cheers,

David

clap.gif

One time I'm really glad I was wrong. I searched high and low for this. I just missed it! :D

Oh, wait, the reviews suck. I did see another app with 1 star ratings, this one doesn't seem to do much better. I'm going to wait. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I tested one of the new iPhones for several days last week. One of the first things you notice is the short battery life if you are runnig it full tilt. At 2:00pm I charged it, worked my way thru the features, made a couple calls, a little browsing and GPS tests, lots of e-mail across several accounts, no music, dead at 8:30. Bluetooth was not on.

So I charged overnight, turned it on at 6:40am, turned off wi-fi at 10:am and used it more like a regular PDA, but did some more testing. It was down to 10% battery life at 2:30am the next day, even allowing me to send mail at that time. Again, no music. Certainly much better, but if you use it in critical situations, the life is no where near a typical flip phone or even a BlackBerry.

It took me forever, but I was finally able to find out at&t's SMTP server name for outbound mail for those accounts that need it. gmail was a breeze however. Exchange was surprisingly good. Unfortunately I also have accounts with services that provide POP3 or webmail but not true IMAP functionality. So I will have to decide between POP3 (not!) to the iPhone or just use webmail on Safari (less than optimal). Mail forwarding/aggregating might be an answer but replies get tricky.

Question for all the iPhone / iTouch dgrinners: what res (ppi) and dimensions are optimal for images? Seems it would be 72ppi, but since you can zoom in, I'm not sure what it would be.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I tested one of the new iPhones for several days last week. One of the first things you notice is the short battery life if you are runnig it full tilt. At 2:00pm I charged it, worked my way thru the features, made a couple calls, a little browsing and GPS tests, lots of e-mail across several accounts, no music, dead at 8:30. Bluetooth was not on.

So I charged overnight, turned it on at 6:40am, turned off wi-fi at 10:am and used it more like a regular PDA, but did some more testing. It was down to 10% battery life at 2:30am the next day, even allowing me to send mail at that time. Again, no music. Certainly much better, but if you use it in critical situations, the life is no where near a typical flip phone or even a BlackBerry.
    After 1 week of use I've found the iPhone battery life to be similar (slightly better) than my previous 3G device (a Blackjack II) which I used only for data (no voice). I also use to have a old original color blackberry, and that got slightly better battery life than the iPhone. As for my old motorola razr, it got much better battery life than my iPhone.
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Question for all the iPhone / iTouch dgrinners: what res (ppi) and dimensions are optimal for images? Seems it would be 72ppi, but since you can zoom in, I'm not sure what it would be.
    Here is an article on Scott Kelby's blog about putting optimal sized images on your iPhone.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    It took me forever, but I was finally able to find out at&t's SMTP server name for outbound mail for those accounts that need it..

What are the server settings?

The more I read about poor battery life, the less I want to buy one. I am tempted to get an itouch, 8gb for $199 refurbished, not a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

The more I read about poor battery life, the less I want to buy one. I am tempted to get an itouch, 8gb for $199 refurbished, not a bad deal.

From what I read the battery life is excellent, best in its class. Problem is, it's in a class of juice-sucking pigs.

I'm happy enough with the battery life, given my use of it and my proximity to power on a day to day basis. If I need to turn services off to extend life sometimes, then so be it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:

"Our strategy was to get here early and buy as many as they'll let us," he said. He plans to buy the iPhones for all 26 of his employees.

What? he only wanted to buy them for his employees only? cheapskate... no wonder i never recieved mine from Smugmug!!! headscratch.gif

lol
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Has anyone else tried to post a reply in Dgrin with their iPhone and found it to be annoying slow to recognize keystrokes? Any solution?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Has anyone else tried to post a reply in Dgrin with their iPhone and found it to be annoying slow to recognize keystrokes? Any solution?

you could write a dgrin app (or vBulletin app) for the iPhone. :D
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    you could write a dgrin app (or vBulletin app) for the iPhone. :D

Apparently you don't know me very well. Not a possibility. deal.gif

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apparently you don't know me very well. Not a possibility. deal.gif

:D

I did installed xCode, and download the sdk, but its been a long time since I worked with anything like objective C. However, I figure someone will have a vBulletin app eventually.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Found this article about the iPhone battery life. Backs up one observation that I made: its is better than the 3G Blackjack.

I guess its a good idea to keep your charger with you.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    I finally bought an iphone, so far it seems pretty good, giving mobileme a test and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    I downloaded the free (for now) iPhone app, 1Password. It is an iPhone version of their desktop app. I'd never been compelled to get it before. Yes, it adds functionality to Keychain Access, but I never really felt the need for it.

After downloading the iPhone version, and finding out that you can sync all the info from your mac, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the app. At $35 I think it's just a touch pricey for what you get, but it's a very good application, and I don't really mind paying for quality.

Syncing with the iPhone is very easy, but I am left with some extra webpassword entries on the iPhone that aren't on the desktop, and shouldn't be there. I can't figure out how to delete them, and even though they're deleted from the desktop and the trash is emptied, they still show up on the iPhone.

The app stores web passwords, but you don't use Mobile Safari with it, rather a browser built on the same webkit. It's fine, but you can't do the cool rotate into landscape view that you can in Safari. Harumph. It is version 1.2, so hopefully they'll add more cool features in the future.

I have some problems with logins. For instance, I have two Google Checkout accounts. GC keeps your username hard written and allows entry of the password only, unless you select "login as different user". It's kind of a PITA. Still working on that one. On the Mac I found that logging out of GC when I was done worked, but it doesn't seem to help on the iPhone

I'm still playing with it, and I'm still a little mixed on it, TBH. But it's well worth checking out.

There's a really great video tute and overview of the product, here.

Oh, I nearly forgot. You can sync secure notes from Mac to iPhone, too. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    any of you upgraded to the new model and want to sell your older, first-gen iPhone?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    PhotoCalc for iPhone
    Photo Calc for your iPhone!

(link opens in iTunes)

It's rather cool thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Photo Calc for your iPhone!

(link opens in iTunes)

It's rather cool thumb.gif

Ansel Adams reduced to an iPhone Appne_nau.gif

Still looks cool, though, especially the DOF. I wonder if you can somehow tie it to geotagging...
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Here is an article on Scott Kelby's blog about putting optimal sized images on your iPhone.

Thanks. Confirms what I thought. Given the aspect ratio I will probably boost it from the square 480x480. I'll see the diff in file size of that and the HD ratio.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

After I dug it up on my own, my rep confirmed it.

AT&T customers use "cwmx.com" (Standard POP/IMAP compatible via port 25 with no SSL.)

But check the link, also wi-fi must be off for it to work (wi-fi takes precedence over the 3G or EDGE network).

Biggest issue is if you have an IMAP or POP mail account. Roadrunner uses POP. Sure they have a webmail client, but you have to use Safari. OOPS! Network Solutions webmail is compatible with IE, not Safari. So you have to think about how you route and save mail on various servers. GMAIL is great, and I've had no problems using Exchange Active Sync for mail.

But I have several subfolders on Exchange for Contacts, and iPhone seems to only see the top level. But I haven't really looked into a solution for that one (yet!).
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008