edited September 9, 2007
    looks like mostly an old Jag club meeting, eh? Very pretty cars nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Cayman Turbo
    I was at the Dulles Air & Space museum this morning and stumbled across this beauty. Seems it was being photographed for a magazine story somewhere. Scooped! :D

214018809-L.jpg
    Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    I was at the Dulles Air & Space museum this morning and stumbled across this beauty. Seems it was being photographed for a magazine story somewhere. Scooped! :D

214018809-Th.jpg
    As cheesy as some may think it is, I really dig that classic white turbo stripe, circa 70's and 80's. Good looking car, too. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Thanks for posting that. Not many surprises on that one, but I wouldn't have thought the 2002 BMW 7-series would make it on there...it wasn't THAT bad (it was a series 7 bimmer after all)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    2008 North American International Auto Show
    Hi !
    Here are some pictures from the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit Michigan - enjoy ! jerryr
    more images at : http://www.jrphotosandwebdesign.com/Cars

Chrysler Eco Voyager Concept Vehicle
    244893783-S.jpg
    Dodge ZEO Concept Vehicle
    244895289-S.jpg
    Dodge Caravan SRT
    "Yea, its gotta hemi..."
    244895710-S.jpg
    Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Roadster
    Sticker Price $495,000
    "Daimlers are a girls best friend..."
    244897956-S.jpg
  • Options
    jnealjneal Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    My rides. Nothing special about the pics other than that though :)

2101164084_8ece696591.jpg

2425858_72_full.jpg

782646_2_full.jpg
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008

214018809-L.jpg

I believe that's a Turbo Cayman being developed by a little shop in MD called TPC Racing. One of the owners, Mike Levitas, is a pro-racer, who co-drove a classing winning Porsche in the 2006 24 hours of Daytona. More info available on their website: http://www.tpcracing.us/ I got a chance to meet Mike and some of his staff last year. Cool bunch of people.
    180965888-M-1.jpg
    180969131-M-1.jpg
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    I believe that's a Turbo Cayman being developed by a little shop in MD called TPC Racing. One of the owners, Mike Levitas, is a pro-racer, who co-drove a classing winning Porsche in the 2006 24 hours of Daytona. More info available on their website: http://www.tpcracing.us/ I got a chance to meet Mike and some of his staff last year. Cool bunch of people.
    180965888-M-1.jpg
    180969131-M-1.jpg

That's the one. I thought Tom Milner had the only cool racing shop in the area. :D
    Tim
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    So whatever happened to this thread? Anybody know a place that can make spring rubbers for a street car application? Didn't DocIt used to engineer suspensions?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    So whatever happened to this thread?
    I'd ask the same about you!? wave.gif

And I did do suspensions back in the day... but that was OEM and years ago.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'd ask the same about you!? wave.gif

And I did do suspensions back in the day... but that was OEM and years ago.

I got busy. Car...well...the engine is finally done so let's not go back over that road, though I have to modify my warm up regulator (well, modify it more) because the only way to get the mixture right at full throttle is to get it very rich at idle. I also need to figure out a way to modify the fuel pump relay (I guess jump the pins) and the transmission (can adjusting a bowden cable raise not just the shift point but also the redline shiftpoint?) for a 6400rpm redline because with these cams by the current 5900rpm redline you can feel the power is still climbing. Valve float wouldn't be an issue until 7000rpm.

So you don't have any contacts anywhere?
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    So you don't have any contacts anywhere?
    Unfortunately, no. Unless you want brakes - that's the last contact I have really entrenched in the biz, besides him (director of OEM equip for Brembo), all my buddies have moved either into the business end at Ford, or gotten MBA's and moved to other industries as managers. Kinda funny actually, out of a group of 6 good friends, all engineers to-the-core with an automotive start, only 1 of us is still in auto.

So in your absence, look at what I'm currently driving:

339593792_gbFge-S.jpg

('86 230E, with the steering wheel on the wrong side, that's Brisbane in the background)
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Unfortunately, no. Unless you want brakes - that's the last contact I have really entrenched in the biz, besides him (director of OEM equip for Brembo), all my buddies have moved either into the business end at Ford, or gotten MBA's and moved to other industries as managers. Kinda funny actually, out of a group of 6 good friends, all engineers to-the-core with an automotive start, only 1 of us is still in auto.

So in your absence, look at what I'm currently driving:

339593792_gbFge-S.jpg

('86 230E, with the steering wheel on the wrong side, that's Brisbane in the background)

Well, at least it's German...but 4 wheels? That's not like you, is it? I do remember you moving to Australia.The beauty of Mercedes is looking at that car you'd never think it's a car from the 80s. Their designs are always (well, usually) so ahead of their time.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    Well, at least it's German...but 4 wheels? That's not like you, is it?
    Sure, motorcycles are my passion, but we've always had a car. I wasn't posting that like its my new baby, just thought you'd get a chuckle out of the fact that the daily beater I bought for us down here is an old Merc.

Sad to hear your beast isn't quite done yet. I was hoping maybe you'd come back with photos of flaming burnouts and stuff :)
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure, motorcycles are my passion, but we've always had a car. I wasn't posting that like its my new baby, just thought you'd get a chuckle out of the fact that the daily beater I bought for us down here is an old Merc.

Sad to hear your beast isn't quite done yet. I was hoping maybe you'd come back with photos of flaming burnouts and stuff :)

Well, it's more or less done, just not 100%. Burnouts will be a problem...unless you know someone who can modify the stall speed on a Mercedes 722.3 transmission. 1800rpm stall speed doesn't go so well with lumpy cams, but I'm more a 30-90 kind of guy than a 0-60 guy.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    Hey Doc. Ask your Brembo buddy how come the KTM's brakes suck lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Or you can ask him why the Dodge/Chrysler SRT brakes suck...oh wait, I guess it's because for some applications Brembo is little more than a name. Stoptech FTW!

Also, Doc, using your precious physics, explain to me how replacing my shocks raised the rear end about 1" to the proper height, and solved my body lean issues (rear shocks were factory original, front shocks were "only" 16 years old). With all your science, are you any closer to finding how a robot talks or how a robot walks?

(get that reference, and I'll give you respect and admiration)
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Also, Doc, using your precious physics, explain to me how replacing my shocks raised the rear end about 1" to the proper height, and solved my body lean issues (rear shocks were factory original, front shocks were "only" 16 years old).
    Cornfused... you replaced all 4 corners and you're surprised it fixed everything? And what are you calling a shock? Assembly or just the damper - basically, springs have a much longer life than the oil filled damper.
    With all your science, are you any closer to finding how a robot talks or how a robot walks?
    I'm used to not getting any respect or admiration lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Cornfused... you replaced all 4 corners and you're surprised it fixed everything? And what are you calling a shock? Assembly or just the damper - basically, springs have a much longer life than the oil filled damper.

I'm used to not getting any respect or admiration lol3.gif

I thought the difference between Damper and Shock is the difference between Queen's English and American English. I purchased 4 shock absorbers to the best of my knowledge...they came in boxes from Bilstein.

I guess the part that surprises me is I thought springs hold the car up, not the shocks, so how did it impact the ride height?

And the line is from Futurama. Professor Farnsworth responds to the robot with "yes you idiot, it's right here on your circuit diagram" and the robot shuts the door with the diagram on it and says "I choose to believe what I was programed to believe!" It's a good show.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    I thought the difference between Damper and Shock is the difference between Queen's English and American English. I purchased 4 shock absorbers to the best of my knowledge...they came in boxes from Bilstein.
    Yeah, exactly... I just know too many 'mericans that refer to an entire coilover assembly as a "shock".
    I guess the part that surprises me is I thought springs hold the car up, not the shocks, so how did it impact the ride height?
    You are 100% correct. Think of springs as storing energy and shocks as dissipating energy. So unless you have the most overdamped shocks in the known universe and they haven't allowed the car to settle to its final state (that's like a joke), then yes, regardless of the shock, the springs will always settle to same height. So what's the configuration of the suspension? If it's a coilover, maybe the spring mount is further from the top of the shock mount? As in, your full coilover assembly is taller? That's all I can think of.
    And the line is from Futurama. Professor Farnsworth responds to the robot with "yes you idiot, it's right here on your circuit diagram" and the robot shots the door with the diagram on it and says "I choose to believe what I was programed to believe!" It's a good show.
    Got it. I've seen the show many times... funny, indeed.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    It's double wishbone in the front and semi-trailing arm in the rear, and no coilovers to be found.
  • Options
    roccityrollerroccityroller Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Speaking of car, anyone going to be at the woodward dream cruise this weekend? Biggest car gathering in N. America. I'll be there and i'll bring back pictures! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Speaking of car, anyone going to be at the woodward dream cruise this weekend? Biggest car gathering in N. America. I'll be there and i'll bring back pictures! clap.gif
    I lived in Detroit and worked for Ford, it was mandatory attendance.

Definitely share the pics, it'll make this thread look like it belongs lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Hiya.

Baldy and I went to the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach today. What a blast! Photos coming soon :). I Hope everyone is well.

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    zacHer0 wrote:
    Hiya.

Baldy and I went to the Concours d'Elegance in Pebble Beach today. What a blast! Photos coming soon :). I Hope everyone is well.

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/
    Zac's a support hero now?! Whoa!

Definitely want to see those photos nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Zac's a support hero now?! Whoa!

Definitely want to see those photos nod.gif
    Hi Doc, how are ya? I started heroing in June.

I probably shouldn't have said anything because I knew in a matter of seconds I would have a demand for pics rolleyes1.gif but I couldn't resist. I've never been to a show like this before. I don't think there was a car there worth under a million USD. Jay Leno was there with a rediculous long Chrysler with a twin turbo 31 liter (yes 31 liter) V10 engine from a tank. He said it puts out over 1500hp and gets 6mpg. Pics in a few days, there are a lot to go through.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    zacHer0 wrote:
    Hi Doc, how are ya? I started heroing in June.
    I'm supremely jealous, that's how I am! I was in Monterey not 2 weeks ago and walked around saying harumph at all the Vintage Races and Concours posters/banners all over town. umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    roccityrollerroccityroller Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm supremely jealous, that's how I am! I was in Monterey not 2 weeks ago and walked around saying harumph at all the Vintage Races and Concours posters/banners all over town. umph.gif

I've got about 600 shots to go through. Will be sure to post a good amount once i have time to sit down and go through them. Def another successful cruise event. Definitely gets bigger and better every year.