Options

5D mkii info on the Canon USA site!

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I wished it had an even larger buffer (if I was going to buy it). Memory is cheap!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    Canon missed one major feature I would like to see ... built-in GPS. Looks like Nikon is staying ahead of the game.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    "Improved weather resistant body" Now that is something that's very cool.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    I'm trying hard to be more excited than I find I am about 5DMkII. I wanted to be bowled over because I wanted to begin to explore full frame with the best introduction on offer right now.

However, after the excitement I did have of finally seeing what Canon has come up with has lulled a little, I am thinking such a high pixel count is there only to be "higher-than-thou", because what really makes an IQ difference these days is how the image is captured, not the density (number count) of the pixels. I mean pixel size and architecture, and AF performance - number of points, type and sensitivity. There seems to be not a word about either of these in the initial flurry of information with the new 5D (though some of the info would be much the same as what came with the DIGIC4 sensor).

At less than 4 fps it is also a bit sluggish. Indeed, there is something a bit stodgy about the whole concept of this camera. This was the impression that the original 5D began to make as time went by, and it's a pity that the new model has inherited this, to my mind at least. The video capability leaves me completely cold.

Instead of tempting me to be unfaithful to my 40D, it has prompted a second honeymoon! I reckon any photographer better than me, and that is just about everyone, could pull from the 40D and good lenses stuff that the 5DMkII could only equal and not better!

What does challenge my monogamy is the Nikon D700 mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    For me, the biggest question is what the noise performance in the real world will be. AFAIK, this hasn't been answered yet. I have seen a number of posts that assume that because so many pixels are crammed into the sensor, noise will be a problem. However, for a number of years Canon's main competitive advantage over Nikon was its low noise/high ISO performance. It would be surprising indeed if Canon were to sacrifice this advantage for the sake of megapixels. Well, I guess we'll know soon enough.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    NeilL wrote:
    I'm trying hard to be more excited than I find I am about 5DMkII. I wanted to be bowled over because I wanted to begin to explore full frame with the best introduction on offer right now.

However, after the excitement I did have of finally seeing what Canon has come up with has lulled a little, I am thinking such a high pixel count is there only to be "higher-than-thou", because what really makes an IQ difference these days is how the image is captured, not the density (number count) of the pixels. I mean pixel size and architecture, and AF performance - number of points, type and sensitivity. There seems to be not a word about either of these in the initial flurry of information with the new 5D (though some of the info would be much the same as what came with the DIGIC4 sensor).

At less than 4 fps it is also a bit sluggish. Indeed, there is something a bit stodgy about the whole concept of this camera. This was the impression that the original 5D began to make as time went by, and it's a pity that the new model has inherited this, to my mind at least. The video capability leaves me completely cold.

Instead of tempting me to be unfaithful to my 40D, it has prompted a second honeymoon! I reckon any photographer better than me, and that is just about everyone, could pull from the 40D and good lenses stuff that the 5DMkII could only equal and not better!

Neil

Well put.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Canon missed one major feature I would like to see ... built-in GPS. Looks like Nikon is staying ahead of the game.

GPS...i dont want people to know where that shot was....!! im not giving away miles in scouting in 110 degrees just to everyone...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    GPS...i dont want people to know where that shot was....!! im not giving away miles in scouting in 110 degrees just to everyone...:D
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NeilL wrote:

Neil

I guess i got all your excitement + plus mine.....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    This is really getting ridiculous. When are we going to see a real announcement?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Isn't dpreview giving a hands on preview a real announcement?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    After a year of rumors I see people here calling out mistakes or untruths on the Canon's website. I don't know what to believe.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    evoryware wrote:
    This is really getting ridiculous. When are we going to see a real announcement?

this isnt real?
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    For my work, which includes a fair amount of events, it would be awfully nice to be able to crop a portrait oriented 8" x 10" from a landscape oriented shot. There are too many times when there just isn't time to re-orient the camera and flash, the opportunity occurs and you have little time to react.

I think the Canon 5D MKII may be the first camera that is not horribly priced and with enough pixels to make that a fairly reliable possibility.

If my calculations are correct I would still have around 11 MPix to use for the 8" x 10".

That assumes that the autofocus is competent and that the microfocus adjustments work and that I have mounted an equally competent lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mistakes...ahh, the data entry person needs to be informed of the mistakes...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For my work, which includes a fair amount of events, it would be awfully nice to be able to crop a portrait oriented 8" x 10" from a landscape oriented shot. There are too many times when there just isn't time to re-orient the camera and flash, the opportunity occurs and you have little time to react.

I think the Canon 5D MKII may be the first camera that is not horribly priced and with enough pixels to make that a fairly reliable possibility.

If my calculations are correct I would still have around 11 MPix to use for the 8" x 10".

That assumes that the autofocus is competent and that the microfocus adjustments work and that I have mounted an equally competent lens.

thumb.gif yes agreed...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    I am definitely going to purchase one. Just after it has been field tested and prices go down. Probably by that time I will have enough! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    just to help me understand this prices going down thing...is it worth waiting?

what price did the 5d retail at on its release? its now $2300....whats the percentage per time period? anyone know?
    20% in the first six month...what?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator

what price did the 5d retail at on its release? its now $2300....whats the percentage per time period? anyone know?

I think the Canon 5D originally announced a $3500USD* selling price and I believe there was a time when that is what they sold for. Within a few months I believe I saw $3100.

By the end** of 2007, B&H was selling them for $2800 and I think that was pretty typical.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070508220813/http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

*Correction: Apparently the Canon 5D originally sold for $3300USD. It was announced in Aug '05.
    **Correction: That pricing is from the middle of 2007.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    thanks Z
    for me, if it were to be available within the next couple of weeks its worth getting due to fall season...but if it isnt, i guess i will just benefit from waiting until spring....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong I like what I am seeing, but they need to fix the mistakes.
    In any case I remember hearing photographers talk about how the 5D would just die in a light mist so I'm glad to see it is water resistant. I'd love to get my hands on one with the current posted specs at the Canon website and I don't even use EF-S lenses on my EF-S cameras anymore. Pop up flash works in a bind.
    headscratch.gif

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Shutter durability = 150,000 clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins

My memory is that the 5D released at around $3300 (I don't have the exact number). Generally the price of a new camera drops $100-$200 somewhere between 6 months and a year after the body first ships (as opposed to announced). However you can't really complain about $2700 for a 21MP full frame sensor.

I am very sad that they didn't upgrade the AF system. That is one feature of the 5D I have never been very happy with. Other than that, the camera looks good, albeit I'll have to wait and see the IQ on the high ISO settings.

I am not going to be in the market for a new body for another 6 months to a year, but if I had to choose now it would be tough to decide between the 1D3 and the 5D2. Better AF and weather sealing vs. 21MP, full frame and video. Well, I have some time to make up my mind and maybe there will be other options then.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Shutter durability = 150,000 clap.gif

That would last you months! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    evoryware wrote:
    In any case I remember hearing photographers talk about how the 5D would just die in a light mist so I'm glad to see it is water resistant.

I have taken my 5D into some pretty damp environments and not had any trouble with the camera. However, keeping the lens dry enough to get a clear shot was a significant issue.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I have taken my 5D into some pretty damp environments and not had any trouble with the camera. However, keeping the lens dry enough to get a clear shot was a significant issue.
    That's why I have always thought weathersealing was a slightly over-rated feature. I have some great weather-sealed lenses, but any time they need to be put to the test in bad weather I have too much water hitting the front of the lens to make images very usable.
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins

I totally agree, I really wanted GPS.
  • Options
    dlplumer wrote:
    http://www.apertureprofessional.com/showthread.php?t=19586

3.9 fps? I think I'm waiting for the 50D

As memory serves, the 5D was more for portrait and studio work than a sports speed camera like the 1D cameras. Really what you want to do with it. I don't do sports photography or things that really need that high fps, though it is a great feature. The 50D is also a really tempting camera for me to upgrade to if I didn't want to pursue FF and entrenched with Canon gear. Well I could go for the original 5D...... >.>
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    I guess i got all your excitement + plus mine.....thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif

is that where it went?!? headscratch.gif

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix