Options

Planetbuzz - advertising oppty for pros

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    It's live
    The site is now live but.... in beta version for more testing.
    You can go to the site and "play around" but, remember there are bugs we are currently working on. We could have waited but, wanted you to know we are alive and well :-)

We had SOOOO many clients asking us to at the very least put up the new look and feel.... so we accommodated everyone on that one.

You will not be able to find YOUR ads yet... we are currently only displaying the database loaded displays.

I have made mention of the search for business name without any other field requirements (when searching for an online business) and, that will be in place as soon as we are done working on the bugs, finishing touches, etc.

You won't find the search boxes in perfect order yet, we are working on "cleaning up" there as I write.

Have a nice day today!
    Markjay

kygarden wrote:
    Thanks. I think being able to search for a product/service with no particular "location" would be perfect for online only people like me.

Actually, if you could provide a search option that has "online only" as an option in a drop-down box or something, that would be cool. Just so people know that this would be a search for online companies only and it was obvious to them where to find that search option. That would be great.
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Awesome. Thanks for adding the other search option.
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    did they buy / use yahoo local listings to force competition?
    MarkJay,

You may not know the answer but when I was searching planetbuzz and I got searches back, they seemed to have picked up the same results as what yahoo has. I know that there are identical results from both planetbuzz and yahoo, AND some of the results are old and defunct businesses. Now I know a business that is now gone would have no reason to list on a new online search listing, but it just seems weird.

Is this one way how planetbuzz got over 20 million listings?

Why would they do this? In a sense, it sort of makes us / forces us to buy a higher premium spot for more money in order to secure that top spot to beat out the others, when in fact some of the other listings are gone, old, or not updated! :nono

On another note, will planetbuzz fix the problem where when you have two initials in a listing (i.e. J.T.) the second letter will be listed properly with both capitals and not like this: J.t.

Thanks
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    You are mistaken
    Obviously, since you did not take the time further explain, you must have now realized you are mistaken about the Yahoo. There is no way our ads can be duplicate of a yahoo search...... period. We do not display ANY other search engine results in our search engine, but those from PlanetBuzz.
    Yahoo displays links, we display graphic advertisements on our site and I can't even understand how they could possibly even look alike, let alone duplicate one another.

I wish you the best of business, J.T.
    Markjay

J.T. wrote:
    MarkJay,

You may not know the answer but when I was searching planetbuzz and I got searches back, they seemed to have picked up the same results as what yahoo has. I know that there are identical results from both planetbuzz and yahoo, AND some of the results are old and defunct businesses. Now I know a business that is now gone would have no reason to list on a new online search listing, but it just seems weird.

Why would they do this? In a sense, it sort of makes us / forces us to buy a higher premium spot for more money in order to secure that top spot to beat out the others, when in fact some of the other listings are gone, old, or not updated! :nono

On another note, will planetbuzz fix the problem where when you have two initials in a listing (i.e. J.T.) the second letter will be listed properly with both capitals and not like this: J.t.

Thanks
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    Don't Assume Things .. Geez, Relax!
    Markjay,

I don't want to make this an issue here but why not, everyone else can say what they want like you have and here's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth!

Don't assume because I did not take the time to further explain my question / concerns that I realized I made a mistake; in fact I did not make a mistake about anything, and I was only asking two simple questions. I have another full time job serving the public and reading/writing threads on dgrin is only done when I have a chance after my faith, my family & my career.

If you read my original post, I simply was stating that I thought it was weird how the results that I have found in the past for photographers in my area on yahoo came up similar with the results from planetbuzz, including some defunct photographers gone from the area. I know what planetbuzz does, you've reiterated it tons of times over and over and edited them over and over on your posts. I got that. I NEVER said they look alike once!

Don't I have a legitimate right to ask questions if I am concerned about something, especially if I am about to spend $80+ on an online listing with a company I never knew existed until now on dgrin? I had concerns that planetbuzz had the same results as those from yahoo and I asked for you to clarify them for me and others too! I am not technically savvy about how yahoo listings / classifieds / results work and thought you could clarify it for me with your experience with planetbuzz and sales. When I had a chance yesterday I actually read the two posts you posted on dgrin from my original thread and it honestly seemed to clear it up and answer my questions for me, but for some reason those posts are gone now and replaced with your rebuttal attacking me!

I am not sure why you are getting so defensive in this when you're not even an owner or CEO of planetbuzz, but rather a friend of an aquaintance through your church who you're helping spread the word about planetbuzz, right?

Anyways, on a side note, if you're all defensive because of the little animated smilie post I put on my thread with the nono, geez, it was all in good humor and those little smiley faces are all humorous and funny to see.

Sorry, have a great day Markjay! rolleyes1.gif
    Markjay wrote:
    Obviously, since you did not take the time further explain, you must have now realized you are mistaken about the Yahoo. There is no way our ads can be duplicate of a yahoo search...... period. We do not display ANY other search engine results in our search engine, but those from PlanetBuzz.
    Yahoo displays links, we display graphic advertisements on our site and I can't even understand how they could possibly even look alike, let alone duplicate one another.

It's like telling us the search results in Google are identical to one's in Planetbuzz.... it's not even possible!

I'm not going to take any more defensive position on this. I think you have something against PlanetBuzz for whatever your reason is and I hope that some day you'll get business or exposure from your complimentary ad you received from PlanetBuzz.

I wish you the best of business, J.T.
    Markjay

{J.T.'s Original Post:

On another note, will planetbuzz fix the problem where when you have two initials in a listing (i.e. J.T.) the second letter will be listed properly with both capitals and not like this: J.t.}
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thank you
    Thank you for coming back and explaining in more detail. I appreciate that.
    I also apologize for sounding defensive but, I am no longer just an acquaintance...I have been hired as an employee of PlanetBuzz :-)

This is what threw me off from your post: you used these exact words to describe the search results between Yahoo and PBuzz this way: there are identical results (you didn't put the word Identical in bold, I just did :-)

Anyway, I'm glad I cleared it all up for you and, that you have a better understanding of this "stuff". And yes, I deleted the other post because I started to rant a bit too much, bad habit :D

Have a great day and, IF you do put up a sponsored ad on the site please.... make use of EVERY one of the features that are available to you. I saw one ad yesterday that was totally awesome!!! Go do a search on PlanetBuzz for Category: day spa City: Largo, FL

J.T. wrote:
    Markjay,

I don't want to make this an issue here but why not, everyone else can say what they want like you have and here's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth!

Don't assume because I did not take the time to further explain my question / concerns that I realized I made a mistake; in fact I did not make a mistake about anything, and I was only asking two simple questions. I have another full time job serving the public and reading/writing threads on dgrin is only done when I have a chance after my faith, my family & my career.

If you read my original post, I simply was stating that I thought it was weird how the results that I have found in the past for photographers in my area on yahoo came up similar with the results from planetbuzz, including some defunct photographers gone from the area. I know what planetbuzz does, you've reiterated it tons of times over and over and edited them over and over on your posts. I got that. I NEVER said they look alike once!

Don't I have a legitimate right to ask questions if I am concerned about something, especially if I am about to spend $80+ on an online listing with a company I never knew existed until now on dgrin? I had concerns that planetbuzz had the same results as those from yahoo and I asked for you to clarify them for me and others too! I am not technically savvy about how yahoo listings / classifieds / results work and thought you could clarify it for me with your experience with planetbuzz and sales. When I had a chance yesterday I actually read the two posts you posted on dgrin from my original thread and it honestly seemed to clear it up and answer my questions for me, but for some reason those posts are gone now and replaced with your rebuttal attacking me!

I am not sure why you are getting so defensive in this when you're not even an owner or CEO of planetbuzz, but rather a friend of an aquaintance through your church who you're helping spread the word about planetbuzz, right?

Anyways, on a side note, if you're all defensive because of the little animated smilie post I put on my thread with the nono, geez, it was all in good humor and those little smiley faces are all humorous and funny to see.

Sorry, have a great day Markjay! rolleyes1.gif

{J.T.'s Original Post:

On another note, will planetbuzz fix the problem where when you have two initials in a listing (i.e. J.T.) the second letter will be listed properly with both capitals and not like this: J.t.}
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    thumb.gif
    Markjay wrote:
    Thank you for coming back and explaining in more detail. I appreciate that.
    I also apologize for sounding defensive but, I am no longer just an acquaintance...I have been hired as an employee of PlanetBuzz :-)

When I started to get more details of what these guys were going to do, I got so excited because really, what they are doing truly is very different and in some ways ground breaking. Not ground breaking for an internet website but, ground breaking for the yellow directory / business search engine online industry. I found found dozens and dozens of little local directories charging as much as 3 - 5 times what we are offering... and we are including many more features in our value. The major ones were charging WAY more and, giving way less. Smaller ads, less features, more money! So I looked into joining their team and, it's been a match made in heaven ever since :-)

This is what threw me off from your post: you used these exact words to describe the search results between Yahoo and PBuzz this way: there are identical results (you didn't put the word Identical in bold, I just did :-)

Anyway, I'm glad I cleared it all up for you and, that you have a better understanding of this "stuff". And yes, I deleted the other post because I started to rant a bit too much, bad habit :D

Have a great day and, IF you do put up a sponsored ad on the site please.... make use of EVERY one of the features that are available to you. I saw one ad yesterday that was totally awesome!!! Go do a search on PlanetBuzz for Category: day spa City: Largo, FL

Look at that sponsored ad for Largo Day Spa.... he's got a great video, a link to a page that lets you book your appointment online, etc. His logo is not the best but, it works. Have a great day today and, thank for your allowing me the opportunity to make amends... everybody is happy now. clap.gif
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Markjay wrote:

Look at that sponsored ad for Largo Day Spa.... he's got a great video, a link to a page that lets you book your appointment online, etc. His logo is not the best but, it works. Have a great day today and, thank for your allowing me the opportunity to make amends... everybody is happy now. clap.gif
    What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'm just more stuid/slower than the average bear (ok, the jury's already returned a verdict on that one:D) but I entered the EXACT category and city strings into the form

http://www.planetbuzz.com

and it returned what you see below:
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    I stand corrected
    I was going to suggest you select from the drop down box that appears when you search but...
    I was just told that you no longer have to select from the drop down boxes to find. clap.gifclap

And just your luck/ timing, programmers were working on that WHILE you were searching so... do it again, I'm confident you'll find what you are searching for this time.

Let me know if you have any additional trouble?

Thank you,
    Markjay
    Markjay
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I have been very quiet so far, but I have to say, Markjay that I am really really getting annoyed by all the post editing that you are doing.

It is a horrible thing to do, especially in a thread like this. Makes it hard for newcomers to follow the thread and understand what is going on. It also looks really bad (IMO) that you keep editing every post you make - as if you are trying to hide something.

Please stop editing your posts and just make a new post or add to the post - don't change what you said, don't change your wording, etc.rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thank you
    Thank you for your concerns and your opinion.

I edit posts for a few reasons

A. Information changes
    B. I have been trying to update in the first post and, in the last post in case either one is missed. Some people just read a first post. Some read the last post.
    C. As our site has gone through some design changes, it was imperative that I change information to reflect those changes.

Example: how to setup your complimentary ad.

Previously: At first, it was go to site, click go, enter promo code.
    Currently: It's go to site, click Be Discovered, no need to enter promo code since it's in the link code.

I'm glad to see you keep coming back to the post and monitoring it. It shows interest. :D I do not make changes just for the fun of it... that's a waste of my time. I need to update and, change whatever I see fit to change so that my information is current and accurate.

In addition, I do have a "boss" who keeps up and occasionally asks me to please change or reword this or that for marketing or security purposes.

I hoped you've calmed down now. There are certainly more things to be P'd about in this world than my little PlanetBuzz thread post.
    Thank you for participating :D

darkdragon wrote:
    I have been very quiet so far, but I have to say, Markjay that I am really really getting annoyed by all the post editing that you are doing.

It is a horrible thing to do, especially in a thread like this. Makes it hard for newcomers to follow the thread and understand what is going on. It also looks really bad (IMO) that you keep editing every post you make - as if you are trying to hide something.

Please stop editing your posts and just make a new post or add to the post - don't change what you said, don't change your wording, etc.rolleyes1.gif
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Thank you for your concerns and your opinion.

I hoped you've calmed down now. There are certainly more things to be P'd about in this world than my little PlanetBuzz thread post.
    Thank you for participating :D

Oh yeah, I'm calm. There's definately no stressing about something like this. I just thought I'd share about how I feel on this subject, as I'm positive I'm not alone. I have been following the thread and still get confused because of changes in replies and whatnot (of course the first post intro needs to be updated sometimes and you are good at putting in "update" and whatnot).

I feel that some people don't even know that just because you can update a post to "take back what you said" or reword it, etc - doesn't mean you should. Like they use to say (somewhere) "say what you mean, mean what you say"
    :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    RE: Beta mode
    Just a quickie to let you know we are still in beta mode because we are dealing with some keyword / category issues we'd like to resolve before getting out of Beta Mode.

Thank you for your patience and interest.

Mark Javer
    Markjay
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
  • Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Just curious, will my PlanetBuzz listing show up when people use other search engines, say Google searching for photographers in my city?

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    We have a team getting ready to work on the SEO marketing in a VERY big way. I don't think you'll see your own ad specifically the way this is going to work but, I do believe you will be found on a "landing page" one of thousands that will be created to be seen on Google as category search results.

Example: a landing page for photography, doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, etc.

At least that's my understand of it at this juncture.

The programmers might want to rethink this. Google will drop (delist, never allow searches to find) the whole company and site if they think you are making portal pages or search engine pages. The programmers/producer/whoever is in charge should really contact Google and find out if this is allowed before creating these landing pages.

Just a word of warning.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    I know
    You are right and I'm definitely NOT a programmer here :-)

I was just giving a rough view of how this would work. In no way should this be taken as a formal explanation.... by any means.

Thank you,
    Markjay

darkdragon wrote:
    The programmers might want to rethink this. Google will drop (delist, never allow searches to find) the whole company and site if they think you are making portal pages or search engine pages. The programmers/producer/whoever is in charge should really contact Google and find out if this is allowed before creating these landing pages.

Just a word of warning.
    Markjay
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    BTW: all NEW sign-up's will be displayed on our site for an extended period of time beyond just a full year. To be exact, anyone who sets up shop on our site, will be live till January 1, 2009!!!

I just thought I'd point out that an ad that runs unti January 1, 2009 is only running for slightly more than 4 months. That's far from being extended beyond a full year. Or, do you perhaps mean January 1, 2010?
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    THANK you for correcting me! Yes, anyone who places an ad on the site WITH the Promo code ONLY, will get display time extended till Jan. 1 2010 !!

Thanks,
    Markjay
    EarthDog wrote:
    I just thought I'd point out that an ad that runs unti January 1, 2009 is only running for slightly more than 4 months. That's far from being extended beyond a full year. Or, do you perhaps mean January 1, 2010?
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    In the event you missed this......
    I placed this message in the first thread post as well.

I am no longer associated with this company. I would recommend you setup a FREE display on their site... because it's FREE and it's a link back to your website and we can all use additional link backs :-)

Go to Planetbuzz.com and click on place new ad to setup your FREE display. The site is NEW and so there is not a heavy turnout on the site as yet. Check back with them in say 6 months to a year and if they are still going strong and, the site has a good traffic flow (check their Alexa Ranking etc.) you can then recommend the site to others for a FREE listing.

TIP: your email address is your login but, the email addresses do NOT need to be confirmed......
    so you may not want to use your "real" email address if you do not want to be contacted by email regarding offers and such. Anything you type in the email address will work..... just remember what you typed in or you will not be able to log back in later on :-)

Thank you to all who have participated in setting up your own free displays.... and I wish you all the best of success!

I do not recommend buying any ads on the site, not until the site traffic has picked up considerably. Just my opinion as a business minded person.

Thank you and have a nice day today!

Markjay
    Last edited by Markjay : Sep-19-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Update
    Markjay