Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    I have two license's to give away for 1password. Shout folks (great idea to share David!!)

Shay

Shay,

Would be great if you could help greenpea (I don't think it'll work giving it to him from my wife's, since I used my same email for purchase).

I also got an email from ChrisJ, who I can't help. Guys? ear.gif

EDIT: it's a nice thing for the company to do, but I wish they had made the 3 license limit clear from the beginning! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Shay,

Would be great if you could help greenpea (I don't think it'll work giving it to him from my wife's, since I used my same email for purchase).

I also got an email from ChrisJ, who I can't help. Guys? ear.gif

EDIT: it's a nice thing for the company to do, but I wish they had made the 3 license limit clear from the beginning! deal.gif

can you send me his details and I will email him?

Shay.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Seamus wrote:

Shay.

Hey Seamus, I pm'd you my info.

Thanks for offering this up!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    Shay.

PM'ed! :D
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Hey Seamus, I pm'd you my info.

Thanks for offering this up!

Done!!!

Shay.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    PM'ed! :D

Done :D

Shay

That's my quota used up folks.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    Done!!!

Shay.

Email received! Thanks!
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Email received! Thanks!

Now the thing to do is to see if they'll allow YOU to pass on the gift! :D

http://agile.ws/gift/thanksgiving
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Finally got it all installed, and I'll give it a try, so....

next?
    Andrew

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Anyone still have a license available?
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

And they do! It tells me on the confirmation screen that I have 2 gifts remaining. Next....?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Okay, the dh needs a new laptop. His 3 yr old HP 17 inch has been compromised and doesn't appear to be recoverable. I say "get a mac" but he would use it for work (MS Office primarily) tasks, and insists he needs a keyboard with number pad. So is the only way to achieve this with a Macbook to use an add on keyboard?

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, the dh needs a new laptop. His 3 yr old HP 17 inch has been compromised and doesn't appear to be recoverable. I say "get a mac" but he would use it for work (MS Office primarily) tasks, and insists he needs a keyboard with number pad. So is the only way to achieve this with a Macbook to use an add on keyboard?

ann
    What pc lappys come w/ number pad on the keyboard?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann

Yes, attach an external keyboard via USB. No biggie. HP laptops have a number pad? Hmm, I guess they get a lot of number crunchers. I would definitely NOT want one, but that's me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What pc lappys come w/ number pad on the keyboard?

The HP 8000 series
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, attach an external keyboard via USB. No biggie. HP laptops have a number pad? Hmm, I guess they get a lot of number crunchers. I would definitely NOT want one, but that's me.

Yeah, I know rolleyes1.gif but he does number crunching all the time, and in order to get a number pad you end up with at least 17" of screen.

If he got a macbook, I wouldn't have too mwink.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    The 17" HP notebooks have numberpads....and are a HORRIBLE product!

I love HP, I really do, but we bought several of these 17" models at a company I used to work for and they do nothing but fail. They're just to big, heavy, and bulky to be considered notebooks. I'm sure if you left it on a desk all the time it would work fine (but why pay for a laptop) but if you're going to be moving this thing around at all (even in a padded laptop bag) something will fail. We had touchpads go bad, screens go bad, keyboards, optical drives. Please don't waste your money on one of these. Tell him to get a 14 or 15" model (PC or Mac) and get a USB numberpad.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    ...insists he needs a keyboard with number pad. So is the only way to achieve this with a Macbook to use an add on keyboard?

To be precise, you don't really need an entire add-on keyboard. For years I've had a little USB number keypad. You get the keys you want without compromising the laptop's portability or limiting your choice in laptops.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yeah, I know rolleyes1.gif but he does number crunching all the time, and in order to get a number pad you end up with at least 17" of screen.

If he got a macbook, I wouldn't have too mwink.gif

If portability isn't a major concern, he could get any number of 15" models and add a full-sized bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Or any machine with a docking station. If he does really heavy duty number crunching, he could try to get used to the pseudo-numeric keyboard that most Windows laptops have. I don't know, really, but a 17" notebook sounds like a hybrid SUV. Unclear on the concept.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    ALL OF THIS PEECEE Talk is giving me hives - go away with it shoo shoo shoo!

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:

lol3.gif
    :hide
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:

lol3.gif

lol3.gif

I wasn't wanting to talk PeeCee I wanted to convert the man!!!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    If he does really heavy duty number crunching, he could try to get used to the pseudo-numeric keyboard that most Windows laptops have.

I've tried that, the layout is slanted at about a 20 degree angle to the left on most of them. It just doesn't work out for folks that know 10 key. I believe this is the usb version of the one I used to use one weekend every month doing my dad's books: http://tinyurl.com/6horn6 (amazon.com) Bonus in that it has a triple-zero key if you're lucky enough to be working in that kind of scale.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    I mentioned this over in the food thread, but thought it was worth a mention here. I recently bought MacGourmet and have been pretty happy with it. I demoed about 8 apps, and chose this one. In fact, I had decided against it, came back to it, learned more about it, and decided it was the best app for my needs.

I bought the optional nutrition plug-in, which calculates nutritional values of a recipe by serving. I also have been publishing my recipes to my .mac account. You can also use it to publish to your blog (on supported services).

The runner up was Measuring Cup, which is free. This is the one if you want simple and cheap. Not that MacGourmet is a bank-buster at $25, but still...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:

lol3.gif

But ... haven't you seen the lastest Windows adverts? I AM A PC! Just like a countless millions of users! You can never get away from us! :s85
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    1Password licenses available...
    DavidTo wrote:

Not sure if it will still work, but the site is still up. So if you need one, let me know!
    Chris
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Pet Peeve
    So I am curious when did Microsoft assimilate the abbreviation for Personal Computer (PC) to mean Windows? By definition I think that even a Mac is a PC.

The real reason is of course that Apple started doing the Mac vs. PC commercials...
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    So I am curious when did Microsoft assimilate the abbreviation for Personal Computer (PC) to mean Windows? By definition I think that even a Mac is a PC.

The real reason is of course that Apple started doing the Mac vs. PC commercials...

PC is the generic for personal computer, and since you can't refer to all the window machine by anything other than the generic, it stuck. The Mac was distinguished by not being generic, but specific.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008

Actually, IBM is more to blame than Microsoft. PC used to mean any personal computer until IBM introduced its first model in 1981. IBM took the radical step of making public the BIOS code, and that led to a variety of of "PC-compatible" machines, which quickly came to dominate the market. The success of the IBM architecture meant that its operating system--MS-DOS--also became widespread, and soon after, CP/M (the previous OS champion) disappeared. IIRC, Apple fans were irritated that PC came to be identified with IBM/MS-DOS machines until the first Mac was introduced in 1984. After that, most of them gladly embraced the distinction between PCs and Macs.
    :rutt