Options

Curious

1235»

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I could fill at least a page if we had a "thread of shame" on DG :)

I'm not sure we could call this 'Sharp' Shooters any more if we had one... lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I'm not sure we could call this 'Sharp' Shooters any more if we had one... lol3.gif

That's a good point. The Dgrin Mostly-Sharp-But-Occasionally-Not Shooters? rolleyes1.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    That's a good point. The Dgrin Mostly-Sharp-But-Occasionally-Not Shooters? rolleyes1.gif

Something like that. And the MC's would be Lucky Idiot rounds.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Something like that. And the MC's would be Lucky Idiot rounds.

This thread is making me giggle (and because techno-doltery is not limited to cameras, I'm now also thinking of the too-many times I have set my digital recorder in standby and then forgotten to press "start" at the top of the performance.... :giggle )

And Pyry, I've been dying to ask - are you a native English speaker, or just a stunning linguist? Enquiring minds want to know.... :D
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    And Pyry, I've been dying to ask - are you a native English speaker, or just a stunning linguist? Enquiring minds want to know.... :D

My native language is Finnish. However, I started learning English in school back in third grade - I was 9. So we're talking 19 years of practise (and a lot of it is countless hours spent watching American and British TV - with subtitles) :D

A linguist I am not and much less a stunning one, though it's nice to have been mistaken as such - thanks! :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Hey divamum, now you'll need to bone up on your Sibelius repetoire. naughty.gif
  • Options
    RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    The Dgrin Mostly-Sharp-But-Occasionally-Not Shooters? rolleyes1.gif

:lol4 I need that as a bumper sticker!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    The Dgrin Mostly-Sharp-But-Occasionally-Not Shooters? rolleyes1.gif
    :lol4 I need that as a bumper sticker!

Print that on the back of the Check List shirt! :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 25, 2008
    I have got to say I enter these challenges just for the fun and experience of it! I reap alot from them. I would have loved to have been in the mega round again this time as I have just returned from the Caribbean and discovered many many favorite places I like to be! Although I still have a shot in the 13.
    Even though I haven't been around much while I was gone. I did pop in to post my entry for #12 that I was looking for when I left for vacation. I was able to check back in and find out what the next rounds were and the rest of my vacation I shot for both challenges. I just found out this weekend which I will be in. So I entered one shot. I have not used any PP on my last two entries (other than adding my signature). I must say that pp is also a good part of photography and sometimes I can only get so much from the camera (sometimes because of timing) and have to pp to get the "vision" I have for the particular theme.

I think all the themes have been challenging. Sometimes its hard to think outside the box. I liked the poem on too...even though I am not a poetry type person...I found it a challenge to be met.

I think that these challenges have made me stretch my abilities to improve my photography. Now if only I can get some sales from them!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    So...how did I prove my idiocy today? Ever since I purchased my SB800 flash unit a couple months ago, I've been going nuts trying to sync it with my AB400 (it fires wirelessly, but only within line-of-sight...and I can't afford RadioPoppers yet). Apparently I've had a PC sync cable in my spare bag for the past two years. It came with a kit, and I had no idea what it was at the time because I was a n00b and had no lights. I rediscovered it today and stared stupidly at it for a minute, trying to convince myself it was not a sync cable--that I really wasn't that big an idiot. I was wrong. 11doh.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    So...how did I prove my idiocy today? Ever since I purchased my SB800 flash unit a couple months ago, I've been going nuts trying to sync it with my AB400 (it fires wirelessly, but only within line-of-sight...and I can't afford RadioPoppers yet). Apparently I've had a PC sync cable in my spare bag for the past two years. It came with a kit, and I had no idea what it was at the time because I was a n00b and had no lights. I rediscovered it today and stared stupidly at it for a minute, trying to convince myself it was not a sync cable--that I really wasn't that big an idiot. I was wrong. 11doh.giflol3.gif

Try running out of power in the flash at a gig and then finding the spare batteries at home - in the bag.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Who said 'learning opportunity'?
    While we are sharing our learning experiences...How about this.

Chatting 'backstage' to the most beautiflul woman in Africa tonight, nonchalantly remeniscing about my previous experience in glamour/journalism in London*, whilst casually changing lenses.

Then, with confidence growing, I politely ask for a quick 'test shot' before I re-enter the fray of the event I had been commissioned to shoot.

ME: Hmm, something's up here...terribly sorry, please bear with me

SHE: Your lens cap is on.

ME: of course, ho ho, well spoted, mumble mumble , etc ...then (alarmed) what is that noise !!!???

BRAND NEW SHINY SB-900: Er, excuse me, I'm still overheating

ME: (expletive deleted)

Fade to black

I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

Steve

* London, true - the other bit, not quite so true.
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Just thought I would offer my two cents on the subject of the new challenges. After reading the replies to this point, I assume in am in the minority, but I have found myself missing the stable format of LPS, where we always knew the theme was going to be two contrasting themes. Doing a quick search on the rounds of DSS, I see the majority have been the contrasting themes - the turnoff to me, I guess, has been the more exclusive themes such as filters or B/W. Being the novice photographer I am, I don't have much of selection of filters, and B/W just isn't inspiring to me (yet, I suppose). The poem round was also more exclusive of a theme in my opinion than the contrasting themes format. I guess I just appreciated the simplicity of the LPS format more. I know it's been said that the intent of the themes have been designed to get people out of their comfort zones and perhaps this contest has left me behind. Part of it has also been that I have much less time as well to follow/devote to it and photography, but I guess I will just close with a request than the themes remain as open as possible to techniques, equipment, styles, etc. Despite all that, I am still very glad that there are new challenges and GreenSquared and others are willing to volunteer there time to make it possible for the rest of us. Just my thoughts, thank you GreenSquared for requesting feedback and opinions on the changes to the challenges.
  • Options
    RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Just thought I would offer my two cents on the subject of the new challenges. After reading the replies to this point, I assume in am in the minority, but I have found myself missing the stable format of LPS, where we always knew the theme was going to be two contrasting themes. Doing a quick search on the rounds of DSS, I see the majority have been the contrasting themes - the turnoff to me, I guess, has been the more exclusive themes such as filters or B/W. Being the novice photographer I am, I don't have much of selection of filters, and B/W just isn't inspiring to me (yet, I suppose). The poem round was also more exclusive of a theme in my opinion than the contrasting themes format. I guess I just appreciated the simplicity of the LPS format more. I know it's been said that the intent of the themes have been designed to get people out of their comfort zones and perhaps this contest has left me behind. Part of it has also been that I have much less time as well to follow/devote to it and photography, but I guess I will just close with a request than the themes remain as open as possible to techniques, equipment, styles, etc. Despite all that, I am still very glad that there are new challenges and GreenSquared and others are willing to volunteer there time to make it possible for the rest of us. Just my thoughts, thank you GreenSquared for requesting feedback and opinions on the changes to the challenges.
    [FONT=&quot]To the above I would actually say that I love the themes t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hat are more exclusive [/FONT][FONT=&quot]. They demand a great deal more thought and, while they “restrict” in one sense, they also open up new avenues for creativity. I LOVED the black and white challenge and, although I couldn’t participate in the poem one (I was camping) I really wish I had. And I think the images that come out of a more focused theme are always so interesting. Not to say they are not interesting in a double-sided theme, but for the SOOC, BW and Poem challenges there were a lot of really different shots. In short, I think there is a good balance. IMO.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I also think one can participate in an exclusive theme even w/o a lot of gear. My BW entry was taken with a point and shoot. Although I do see your point that people with better cameras and better software will have [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a technical [/FONT][FONT=&quot]advantage[/FONT][FONT=&quot], that’s always the case no matter what the theme. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]It’s still possible to do a lot with not a lot though, IMO. Just my musings. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] ne_nau.gif[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    I think there should be a mix of both the usual and the special.

I still have a project idea I should shoot that I thought up for the Poe round, but weather didn't play along...
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I think there should be a mix of both the usual and the special.

Umm...I thought I was achieving that.
    Emily

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:

Sorry, Pat, these Challenges are definitely to get you learning and out of your comfort zone. They are sprinkled with more generic themes, to give everone a bit of a breather, but there's no way I'm making them all easy like that. You can get that anywhere...heck, you could even double up on challenge shoots with other forums that way.
    Emily

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Umm...I thought I was achieving that.

And you are! thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I also think one can participate in an exclusive theme even w/o a lot of gear. My BW entry was taken with a point and shoot. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have to agree. I was initimdated by lack of gear quality etc during the SOOC dusk/dawn challenge, simply because it seemed to me that those with better glass etc had a far better chance of getting a really REALLY good, clear, well-contrasted, colour-balanced shot SOOC, and I figured it as a no-brainer that the better images would be shot on really high-end gear. I was made to eat my words, however, when my entry - shot with a pretty mediocre point'n'shoot while I was out of town without my slr - made the finalists. (I'll have that served with humble pie, thank you... rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I have to agree. I was initimdated by lack of gear quality etc during the SOOC dusk/dawn challenge, simply because it seemed to me that those with better glass etc had a far better chance of getting a really REALLY good, clear, well-contrasted, colour-balanced shot SOOC, and I figured it as a no-brainer that the better images would be shot on really high-end gear. I was made to eat my words, however, when my entry - shot with a pretty mediocre point'n'shoot while I was out of town without my slr - made the finalists. (I'll have that served with humble pie, thank you... rolleyes1.gif)

The equiptment doesn't make the photographer. Many great photographs were taken with a box, pinhole and a piece of glass put in front. Maybe not as great for the standard we set for the days now...but for the pose, light source and composition that the photographer set up. The photographer makes the photograph...and the equiptment is just a tool that is used. I have seen some awsome $20 point and shoot pictures because they were composed wonderfully.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    my 2 cents
    hi all.

1- the themes: they are doing a good job of challenging me creatively, but they seem to be in a little bit of a "this or that" rut (massive or miniscule, clarity or diffused, etc etc). i think there is plenty of room for fresh creativity in the themes, and i think a good start would be to get away from the "this or that" opposites format.

some new theme ideas off the top of my head:
    *portrait of a stranger
    *a photo of something you've never photographed before
    *an image that tells a story
    *a photograph that is a mystery
    *how about having everyone suggest a new theme each time, and choosing from the new suggestions

2- the type of shots that are winning: these are contests with themes, so ideally the winning shots should address the theme effectively, and also be strong photographs in their own right. i think this has been the case, and i think the judges are doing a fine job of looking for both of these things in the winning photos.

cheers,
    mark;)
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    oh, i also wanted to mention that for me a photograph is all about its impact, or how it makes me feel or think. it can be emotional, intellectual, or both. i don't give a hoot how it is made. what's the difference? however, there are times when that matters. for instance, i don't want my news photographs being photoshopped to change reality. i don't want images that claim to be full-frame, no post-processing to be cropped and photoshopped. but if an image is not restricted by these kinds of limits, then the camera and the computer are both fair game without limits. would you tell a painter or a sculptor not to use a certain material or process because it is not "pure"?

-mark;)
    liflander wrote:
    hi all.

1- the themes: they are doing a good job of challenging me creatively, but they seem to be in a little bit of a "this or that" rut (massive or miniscule, clarity or diffused, etc etc). i think there is plenty of room for fresh creativity in the themes, and i think a good start would be to get away from the "this or that" opposites format.

*portrait of a stranger
    *how about having everyone suggest a new theme each time, and choosing from the new suggestions

2- the type of shots that are winning: these are contests with themes, so ideally the winning shots should address the theme effectively, and also be strong photographs in their own right. i think this has been the case, and i think the judges are doing a fine job of looking for both of these things in the winning photos.

cheers,
    mark;)
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    liflander wrote:

*portrait of a stranger
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    The equiptment doesn't make the photographer. Many great photographs were taken with a box, pinhole and a piece of glass put in front.

Oh, JAG, I absolutely agree - no arguments there!
    JAG wrote:
    Maybe not as great for the standard we set for the days now....

And that IS the problem, IMO. How often do we see threads about too much noise at ISO 1600... noise which is FAR less significant than the grain the high ISO film of yesteryear produced!! (or slightly soft glass, or, or, or.... ::insert technical peeve of choice::)

But that's actually one of the reasons WHY I liked the SOOC challenge so much. Sure, once one has tasted the power of PS it's hard not to want to tinker with even a great SOOC shot, but that challenge taught me that I can use my eyes in all sorts of different ways and MADE me think about composition and direction of light and all sorts of other things (not least of which reading the manuals on my camera to figure out all the recherche onboard settings!). It was a tremendous (and very satisfying) learning process... perfectly complemented by the following "Poe" challenge since that one inspired me to go and play around in photoshop (not very well, I admit it, but trying what I did was a superb tutorial and moved my PS skills forward far more than just working through with a book might have done)

Anyway, just musings on a Sunday morning. Great discussion!
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    To RebeccaHelm and everyone else who replied saying they like the change to the themes from LPS - cool, I figured I was probably the only one, heh.

Green, I get wanting to challenge the participants as much as possible. However, I wouldn't say that the contrasting themes of LPS were "easy" - Conceptual rounds like Freedom or Oppression usually seemed to produce less entries than the more physical themes, like surf and turf, I assumed because they were more difficult. Even the more physical themes like surf and turf had their challenges - if you didn't live near pretty coastline, surf was out, and then you had to make an appealing photograph of grass?? I guess the continuity of it makes it easier in a sense. But anyway, judging from the replies, most people like the way you are doing it now, so rock on :)

One thing though about the replies about photographers not needing good equipment to produce good photos - yes, that is what is often said to newby photographers wanting to buy the best camera thinking it automatically ='s great photos. But when the round is based on you having a piece of equipment, like a filter, or ideally filters so you have options, you need to have that equipment.

During the filters round, I was in the grand tetons and yellowstone national parks. However, since I don't own anything other than UV filters, I didn't think I was going to be able to produce an image for that round - the irony, being in such photogenic places! However, on a photo tour, the ranger let me use a circular polarizer filter to bring out the rainbow in the mist of the lower Yellowstone river falls. The feedback I got on that image I think was something along the lines of the filter not really having much effect on the photo.

So anyway, for most of the issues I raised in my first post, I understand that I am in the minority and you can't please everyone all the time. The only request I would continue to make is that people not be excluded from rounds based on equipment being required.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    One thing though about the replies about photographers not needing good equipment to produce good photos - yes, that is what is often said to newby photographers wanting to buy the best camera thinking it automatically ='s great photos. But when the round is based on you having a piece of equipment, like a filter, or ideally filters so you have options, you need to have that equipment.

That round also included effects in post processing, and there wasn't much against photographing a filtering effect occurring naturally, I think.

And besides, you can easily reproduce the effect of some filters right in the camera. Fiddling with the white balance for example would give you the equivalents of several series of coloured glass (wratten/kodak numbers 80, 82, 81, 85 color converion filters directly and color compensating CC-series filters if you add the tint offset).
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    That round also included effects in post processing, and there wasn't much against photographing a filtering effect occurring naturally, I think.

And besides, you can easily reproduce the effect of some filters right in the camera. Fiddling with the white balance for example would give you the equivalents of several series of coloured glass (wratten/kodak numbers 80, 82, 81, 85 color converion filters directly and color compensating CC-series filters if you add the tint offset).

Exactly. For that round, I thought you had to have a very cheap P&S (which even most of those have some options) and absolutely no pp software in order to be able to not participate.

Note to all: I have the themes pretty much all set out for the next 8 or 9 months. There is no "rut", only if you can't stretch your imagination. The two dual themes mentioned are, as I said, a bit of a breather from stricter guidelines. Don't think things will be staying the same for long. mwink.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Don't think things will be staying the same for long. mwink.gif

That means you're gonna get creative with the themes, doesn't it?
    :help

:hide
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Sounds intriguing! Bring it on!!!:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain