Options

Giving back to the community! --Contest Entry Thread

Comments

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    What a great idea this is Frank, and very generous I might add. I will be giving this some thought and hope to include an entry soon!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    438675622_bLwqx-M.jpg

There are a couple parts to this essay so bear with me.

You may be wondering why I posted this picture. There are two reasons.

I work for a company called Mobicious. We have a website called SnapMyLife that is kind of like a version of twitter using pictures. Specifically, pictures from mobile phones. To help support the company I started taking hundreds of pictures to upload to the site. This picture is one of them. It’s a picture of my son sitting next to me on an ottoman. I took it with a camera phone. The only light was a small 40watt Ott light. The quality of the image is just wretched but I really like the image. This image made me realize that I was starting to visualize images before I took them. To think a bit about how the image was going to look and what I could do to make it better. This image also made me realize that camera phones are horrible. These both started me on a quest for good images. Not just decent family snapshots, but images at least as good as in any magazine.

The second reason is I don’t want to win. Yes, I’d like a free year of SmugMug. But I want to win it by winning one of the SharpShooter challenges. You see, I’m on a quest for the best images I can possibly make. I’m reading voraciously and taking scads of pictures. At least a few every day. I hunt places and things to shoot. I try shots I don’t have the equipment for and see if I can make them work. I test ideas and delete rubbish shots mercilessly. I jump into threads here that I have no right to expecting to be corrected. I submit shots to contests and challenges even though I know I’m going to have my hat handed to me. I’m leaping way out of my abilities so I can grasp something beyond what is expected...

So why do I like photography?

Hmmm... Growing up I wanted to be an artist. My parents were concerned that I wouldn’t be able to make a living as an artist so I chose Physics. My dad then convinced me that I’d end up as an engineer if I studied Physics so why not take Engineering instead?

In Engineering school as electives I took the music theory class the music majors took and got an A. I took the drawing class that the art majors took and got an A. I squeaked by my engineering classes and aced my art electives. I graduated and got a job as an engineer and still write software for a living. But my whole life I’ve been drawn to the arts. Music moves me like nothing else. (It kills me that I am tone deaf, have no rhythm and can’t sing a note. I’d love to be able to play but my brain just isn’t wired to make music.) The first time I saw Rodin’s Psyche at the MFA in Boston it made me weep. My family has to drag me kicking and screaming from the museum when we go...

Yeah, but why Photography?

After all I’ve said you still have to ask?

Well, here is a little more...

I was wandering through Barnes & Noble and came across a copy of “The Photography Book”. The one by Phaidon Press. It’s a short biography and a single representative image from 500 different photographers. I started flipping through it. I got to the end and started over... I had to go back to the beginning several times and slowed down to look closer. I spent an hour looking at the book and came away shaking. I had to put the book down and walk away because the images were so powerful I couldn’t handle it. That was when I realized that I was going to immerse myself in Photography...

Holy &^*$! This is what I'm talking about! The passion, the brutal honesty. Ladies and Gentlemen, our first contestant set the bar!

This is what it's all about. The reason why. What drove you. Great entry and great photo! This entry goes to show that it's not about the quiality of the photo, it's about the meaning. Great job!clap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    "Final Days"
    438782086_wnzca-L.jpg
    Why did I become a photographer? Well, there are several reasons. First of all my mother put together photo album, after photo album for my brother and myself, documenting our lives, something I will always treasure. My dad always had a camera, for the same purpose, documenting important, and not so important events! I can remember once or twice a year we would gather together to watch his slideshow presentations. (Yeah, the old kind of slideshows)! They were always great times.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    When I was in high school, one of my cousins was getting into photography, and I was intrigued by what she was able to do with the camera. She was able to capture the purest of emotion from candid shots of strangers, which I thought was amazing, so I decided to take the plunge into photography. I started taking classes; I entered contests through the County Fair, and others, and had some success, which helped to encourage me along. Before having kids (when I actually had time) I worked as a newspaper photographer, which I enjoyed a lot, and would do again in a heartbeat. I am not as technically capable as I would like to be, but am always trying to improve my skills as time and money permits! My greatest joy with photography is capturing special moments amongst family and friends.
    This photo I chose as my favorite may seem like a snapshot to most, but it has such emotion behind it for me. This was taken in December 2004. Our oldest dog Jake (with the white face) had just recently been diagnosed with cancer. We decided to buy a live Christmas tree and plant it in his honor. The look in my oldest son’s face, next to Jake, says it all. Jake was more human than he was a dog. He is irreplaceable, but with photos like these, will be in our memories forever. Sadly, we had to put Jake down on January 21, 2005, the hardest thing we have ever had to do yet as a family.
    So, what it all boils down to for me is the ability to capture special moments and document time and history in a way that evokes emotion for myself and hopefully for others as well.
    Thanks for taking the time to read…Karin
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    438782086_wnzca-L.jpg
    Why did I become a photographer? Well, there are several reasons. First of all my mother put together photo album, after photo album for brother and myself, documenting our lives, something I will always treasure. My dad always had a camera, for the same purpose, documenting important, and not so important events! I can remember once or twice a year we would gather together to watch his slideshow presentations. (Yeah, the old kind of slideshows)! They were always great times.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    When I was in high school, one of my cousins was getting into photography, and I was intrigued by what she was able to do with the camera. She was able to capture the purest of emotion from candid shots of strangers, which I thought was amazing, so I decided to take the plunge into photography. I started taking classes; I entered contests through the County Fair, and others, and had some success, which helped to encourage me along. Before having kids (when I actually had time) I worked as a newspaper photographer, which I enjoyed a lot, and would do again in a heartbeat. I am not as technically capable as I would like to be, but am always trying to improve my skills as time and money permits! My greatest joy with photography is capturing special moments amongst family and friends.
    This photo I chose as my favorite may seem like a snapshot to most, but it has such emotion behind it for me. This was taken in December 2004. Our oldest dog Jake (with the white face) had just recently been diagnosed with cancer. We decided to buy a live Christmas tree and plant it in his honor. The look in my oldest son’s face, next to Jake, says it all. Jake was more human than he was a dog. He is irreplaceable, but with photos like these, will be in our memories forever. Sadly, we had to put Jake down on January 21, 2005, the hardest thing we have ever had to do yet as a family.
    So, what it all boils down to for me is the ability to capture special moments and document time and history in a way that evokes emotion for myself and hopefully for others as well.
    Thanks for taking the time to read…Karin

Karin:

Sorry to hear about your dog.

This was a great read and that photo, I'm sure, is priceless to you. Great choice.

Is this not the main reason why we all became photographers? To capture those moments that will never happen again...

Family is what's most important to many. Capturing a smile of an uncle who never smiles, or a picture of your grandmother to remember her for ever, or a baby's first step. Some of these pictures might have no meaning to the masses. But to you, the photographer, they are your treasures.

I just want to put this into perspective. Imagine, if Karin wasn't a photographer, what pictures would she look at to remember her loyal family companion/member?

The pictures we take, will outlast us. Keep that in mind the next time you decide to leave your camera at home because it's a 'bother' to carry. Look what happened to this guy...

430530666_hAHH3-M-5.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Can the two entrants edit their posts and put a title for their photographs?

I would prefer them above the picture in quotations.

Thanks all, this is going to be harder than I expected. I'm so glad the community is going to vote and I'm not burdened with choosing a winner. LoL. Great job, keep it up guys! bowdown.gifclap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Can the two entrants edit their posts and put a title for their photographs?

I would prefer them above the picture in quotations.

Thanks all, this is going to be harder than I expected. I'm so glad the community is going to vote and I'm not burdened with choosing a winner. LoL. Great job, keep it up guys! bowdown.gifclap.gif

Yeah, sorry Frank, I did notice that in your entry rules after I posted. I am trying to think of a good title. I won't be around until later today, but I will do this, thanks!
    Karin

• Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Count me in as well. Just have to compose the essay part and pick from about 4-5 differnt pics. soon :D
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • Options
    privateprivate Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Why I became a photographer
    I believe that question can be best answered by asking the quetsion why did I start taking pictures.

When I was a little girl (around 5 years old) I used to watch my grandfather in his studio developing pictures for his clients and the joy on the faces of his clients when he delivered the photos. I remember the smells of the chemicals and I remember him teaching me about the rules of thirds - I did not know the term all those many years ago but I did understand about basic composition.

Now fast forward 35 years, and with the birth of my son I picked up the camera again and I took countless snapshots. As I got used to the camera in my hand, I began to remember my grandfathers words regarding composition and I remembered the smiles on the faces of his satisfied clients. I wanted that look of satisfaction after I "developed" a picture. I wanted to take photographs and create art, I no longer wanted to take a picture.

I discovered Digital Grin (I have been a Look E. Lou for a long time) and read a ton of books on photography. I started my own business because there is no better feeling in the world than putting a smile on a clients face. No better reward that capturing the essesnce of a child though digital film.
    Pat
    www.pixiememories.com

Canon Xti, 17-85IS, Nifty Fifty, 75-300 (kit lens), 430ex II and waaay too many filters :D
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Why I became a photographer.
    437777202_GREqJ-L.jpg

I feel uncomfortable even saying that. I don’t really consider myself a photographer. Do I want people to think of me as one? Yes. Do I feel I am one? No.

I see myself as more of a person that owns a nice camera that is aspiring to become one. So the real question for me is, “Why do I want to become a photographer?” There is really no one answer to that question so I will try my best to summarize the most important two.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    All my life I have been drawn to creative endeavors. As a child, I would often spend hours doodling or drawing the cartoon characters I watched on TV. In high school and my first year in college, I took art and music appreciation courses and farted around with the idea of being an art major. Well, life hit me with a hard left hook called “reality” at age 20. My girlfriend who I was living with – another Oprah all together – told me she was pregnant. I was terrified! But, I was also as happy as I ever remember being before that moment in my life.

I was to be a father and that trumped any other priority in my life. The question of what I was going to do when I grew up was answered with one little red plus sign on a pee-stick. I was now responsible for thre lives, not just one.

Shortly after that day, I took on a full-time job and reduced my school schedule to part-time. We got married ($115 in LV, still have the receipt from the ATM withdrawal) and 9-months later we had our one and only child Olivia. We struggled for many years, but eventually Mom and I both finished school; Mom became an accountant and I became a project manager for a medical device company.

<o:p></o:p>
    So what does all of this have to do with being a photographer?

Forward 17 years: I have a new girlfriend and am ready to pursue my creative ambitions again.

Wait, before you start thinking bad things about me, that new girlfriend is actually my wife. Now that our daughter is almost old enough to begin her life as an adult, my wife and I have begun to enjoy the things we were never able to enjoy when we were younger. We are traveling now, going to museums and just trying to spend quality time with one another. One problem, I don't really like museums and she doesn't like to surf.

So photography has given my wife and me an activity that we can enjoy together. Something that we both enjoy equally. It often gives us a reason to jump in the car a take a drive someplace that we would never visit if not for the interest of taking pictures. She grabs her P&S, I grab my Nikon D300 and we go. Best of all, we have the pictures to share and enjoy for years to come.

The greatest thing though is that it has allowed me an outlet for my creative side, something that I haven’t had since I was 20 years old. I see photography as a way to paint pictures of places and things, sometimes even mundane stuff, and present them in way that appeals to people, at least that is my goal. I want people to see the things from my perspective; to see the beauty that I see in just about everything. I mean to be able to take a picture of an egg in a bowl and have someone look at it in admiration… that’s awesome! I wish I could do this with a canvas and paint, but unfortunately I’m not talented enough. So it’s a camera and lens for me.

Thanks for reading (kind of long).
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    private wrote:
    I believe that question can be best answered by asking the quetsion why did I start taking pictures.

When I was a little girl (around 5 years old) I used to watch my grandfather in his studio developing pictures for his clients and the joy on the faces of his clients when he delivered the photos. I remember the smells of the chemicals and I remember him teaching me about the rules of thirds - I did not know the term all those many years ago but I did understand about basic composition.

Now fast forward 35 years, and with the birth of my son I picked up the camera again and I took countless snapshots. As I got used to the camera in my hand, I began to remember my grandfathers words regarding composition and I remembered the smiles on the faces of his satisfied clients. I wanted that look of satisfaction after I "developed" a picture. I wanted to take photographs and create art, I no longer wanted to take a picture.

I discovered Digital Grin (I have been a Look E. Lou for a long time) and read a ton of books on photography. I started my own business because there is no better feeling in the world than putting a smile on a clients face. No better reward that capturing the essesnce of a child though digital film.

Excellent description and what a beautiful picture that is.

Child photography is very difficult. Most of the time, our shutter speeds are not fast enough. I don't have children myself, but if I did, I swear to you that I would already have thousands of photos of them.

Thanks for your entry!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    437777202_GREqJ-S.jpg

I remember when you first posted this pic. If I'm not mistaken, this was in a school in the Dominican Republic. You went on saying how the child was shy and wouldn't let anyone near him. I really enjoy this photo. It goes to show the value of education, even in poverty.

It's very sad that you don't consider yourself a photographer. You have a pretty good eye, from the pictures I've seen of yours. Keep your chin up my friend. You'll do just fine. ;-)

***Note***

Can you please title your picture? Thanks Cuban!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Closing time - taken in an Italian/NY style restaurant in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada

439590957_t6K2y-L-1.jpg

Well, I don't feel uncomfortable of saying that I don't consider myself a photographer.

- I liked taking photos (snapshots) since I was young, as probably everybody else, just for fun... without knowing
    anything about photography.

I remember I had a "good" camera... it was a Russian one (Kiev) only black and white, of course
    (I'm talking about the 70's). I really enjoyed taking photos of my friends on our vacations, just for the fun of it...

Years later, when I came to Canada, I got a more advanced camera - smaller and color.
    I really enjoyed taking all kind of photos of all places I was seeing: streets, buildings, stores, cars,
    everything that I could show to my parents back home about the new environment and
    life style I was experiencing.

We like to travel, so I really had a lot of things to show - everything was new and soo exciting and my beloved
    ones appreciated seeing all those things, and learning about those places that some of them will never see,
    other than from my photos.

This was the thing that kept me going with this... I may call it "hobby"... but I'm not sure...

I remember when I got my first digital camera - in about 2002-2003 (point and shoot of course) I was super
    excited to be able to see the photos on my computer right away, skipping the step of having them developed and
    printed in a photo shop.

I took photos of everything I was seeing (now I do the same...) I used the camera in a journalistic style and
    I would say - this is the style I still like.

My background is similar to geoff's - I always enjoyed doing artistic things, but I had to become an
    engineer and I can say I didn't have anything in common with that...
    In a way was repeating my mother's story - she had to become a pharmacist, when in fact she was an artist
    and an appreciated painter. I learned beautiful things from her.
    - I took myself a school in fine arts after my engineering university, I studied some architecture, and also
    I followed a course in computer graphics. (at this point in time I changed
    my career from an engineer to a graphic designer, currently working on the Web)

Going back to photography: I never thought to use the camera for artistic things - and never made any
    connection between the two: art and photography, until very late. Now, I know there is a connection,
    but my knowledge in photography is quite limited - I mean I never read a book in photography.

- The only information I got on how to take photos was first from Istockphoto.com, where
    I became a contributor (this spring) - I did this because I thought I should take advantage of the fact that we're
    traveling and also of my curiosity and ability to observe things around me.

This year, in May, after a whole 3 months trip to Mexico where I used only my point a shoot camera, I realized
    that there were better cameras out there, available even for amateurs like me... so I bought my first real camera
    at the end of the trip, in Mexico City:) it's a Cannon SRL 40D.

- That was the moment when I decided to make my real first step into photography

- Wow... what a difference! - however, to be honest I feel like my photos were better before, because I was not
    stressed about all these settings... :) I have to practice more...

After joining SmuMug I read as the time allowed me as much as I could from the wonderful tutorials.

Participating in the DGrin contests was an especially big learning and enjoyable experience!
    - Here, now, at SmugMug/Dgrin I know I put my foot on the second step in photography:)

I also ordered some books in photography today... - I definitely got the bug now!

Who knows? - maybe one day I will become a photographer... :)

I'm not sure if the photo I submitted is the best, but I like the way I captured that old NY/Italian style atmosphere.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    haha, my writing skills are worse than my photog skills...i would have no chance at a win at this awesome idea of a contest.....good luck!
    if you need me for anything just send me a PM, i would be happy to help in anyway....

I just noticed your post Aaron, thanks! And thanks to everyone for their nice comments.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Bump.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    My Life, my passion
    443460235_EUu8c-L.jpg

I didn’t choose to become a photographer, but I have evolved into one over the years. Like most people, my life was rolling along with a simple point & shot camera. Sometimes I would remember to get it out of the closet to record a special moment in my life, but often it would remain forgotten in the closet. Then my children were born and those special moments occurred with much greater frequency. And the camera was no longer in the closet, but now in my purse. And I took so many pictures of those wonderful creatures that I wore out three different point and shoot cameras before telling my husband to buy me a “real” camera for my birthday. Little did I know how that simple request would change my life and those around me.

Seven years have now pasted since that birthday and we are a “camera crazy” family as everyone (mom, dad and 2 daughters 8 & 11) has become a photographer. Not only do we use our cameras to record our special family events, but we go out together to capture the beauty of the world around us. The camera has brought my husband and me closer together as we now have a shared hobby. We plan day trips and vacations around places & things that we want to shoot and date nights become photo-ops. And cameras in the hands of my children have taught them to appreciate nature and learn more about the places that we visit. Without the cameras, they are bored and anxious to get to the hotel pool, but give them a camera and now they want to venture out of the car and take a picture, or two, or more…

Being a photographer is not about your talent, but about your passion - your passion for life, for beauty, and for the special moments that we can find all around us. And a photographer will seek out those moments, as they rarely just happen. You have to know when the tide is low, or the moon is full. You have to know what time the sunrises and which way is east. You have to get yourself out of bed at 4am and outside when it’s 10 degrees. You have get yourself to the Tulip Festival or the Solstice Festival. And you have to drag your family to all of the nearby National Parks and scenic areas you can track down.

Picking a photo to go with this essay was a challenge. In the end I selected this one of my girls, since they are the reason that my interest photography started. This one is my favorite “First day of School” picture. They are so happy in this picture. You can see their love for each other and how excited they are to be starting school. The story behind the picture is that in the 18 months after this was taken, the girls lost both grandmothers and a favorite grand-uncle to illness. Their smiles dimmed for a time, along with my passion for photography. But time is a great healer and their smiles are bright again, and my passion is once again starting to burn.

Mary
    www.cherryvalleyphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Cherry, your story is so beautiful and inspiring, same with the photo :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    MaryBoo wrote:
    443460235_EUu8c-L.jpg

I didn’t choose to become a photographer, but I have evolved into one over the years. Like most people, my life was rolling along with a simple point & shot camera. Sometimes I would remember to get it out of the closet to record a special moment in my life, but often it would remain forgotten in the closet. Then my children were born and those special moments occurred with much greater frequency. And the camera was no longer in the closet, but now in my purse. And I took so many pictures of those wonderful creatures that I wore out three different point and shoot cameras before telling my husband to buy me a “real” camera for my birthday. Little did I know how that simple request would change my life and those around me.

Seven years have now pasted since that birthday and we are a “camera crazy” family as everyone (mom, dad and 2 daughters 8 & 11) has become a photographer. Not only do we use our cameras to record our special family events, but we go out together to capture the beauty of the world around us. The camera has brought my husband and me closer together as we now have a shared hobby. We plan day trips and vacations around places & things that we want to shoot and date nights become photo-ops. And cameras in the hands of my children have taught them to appreciate nature and learn more about the places that we visit. Without the cameras, they are bored and anxious to get to the hotel pool, but give them a camera and now they want to venture out of the car and take a picture, or two, or more…

Being a photographer is not about your talent, but about your passion - your passion for life, for beauty, and for the special moments that we can find all around us. And a photographer will seek out those moments, as they rarely just happen. You have to know when the tide is low, or the moon is full. You have to know what time the sunrises and which way is east. You have to get yourself out of bed at 4am and outside when it’s 10 degrees. You have get yourself to the Tulip Festival or the Solstice Festival. And you have to drag your family to all of the nearby National Parks and scenic areas you can track down.

Picking a photo to go with this essay was a challenge. In the end I selected this one of my girls, since they are the reason that my interest photography started. This one is my favorite “First day of School” picture. They are so happy in this picture. You can see their love for each other and how excited they are to be starting school. The story behind the picture is that in the 18 months after this was taken, the girls lost both grandmothers and a favorite grand-uncle to illness. Their smiles dimmed for a time, along with my passion for photography. But time is a great healer and their smiles are bright again, and my passion is once again starting to burn.

Mary
    www.cherryvalleyphoto.com

Truly amazing. Incredible story. I remember when my grandmother died. It was a very sad day. I was a rebellious teen ager, that felt I was a man and could venture on my own. So, at 17, I moved out of my parent's house and began my supposed adult life.

My grandmother, the tough Chinese cookie she was, fought three back to back strokes, a year or two after I left. God bless her rage.

She was in the hospital for a week before she went into a coma. Another week passed and I was called, the day my family was going to shut off the life support. I was upset, and sometimes I feel I’m still upset at my family (mother’s side). So, unfortunately, that’s not such a great relationship.

I wish to have children one day, but I haven’t been blessed with that yet. Soon enough, everything comes in time.

I once took a great picture of my grandmother, it was great to me because I didn’t know any better. I knew nothing about composition, fill flash, exposure, balance, etc… But it meant so much to me because I surprised her at the door one day and snapped it as she opened the door. A photo that is lost forever because I didn’t take care of it. All I have left are fading memories.

I think secretly, that’s why I became a photographer. Not to service other people, but to service myself, and help me remember moments in time. Moments that my be trivial to most, but special to me.

328745578_yJr3U-L.jpg

This picture means nothing to anyone. It's a sorry attempt at composition, rule of the thirds, lol etc rofl. But I was determined to get a shot of this critter. Armed with nothing more than the kit lense 18-55mm. The closer I got, the more that little bugger moved away. This was as close as I could get without totally scaring him off.

It's a horrible picture to me now, but when I took it, it was an acomplishment.

Great entry. Your daughters are beutiful by the way.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    AutonomousAutonomous Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Never once in my life this ever occurred on my mind, that I would be sort-of like a photographer. I'm not a photographer, yet. I'm very new to this wonderful world that I recently just discovered about a month ago. The first time I dwindled myself upon discovering the beauty of photography, something inside my heart sparked. Something burned inside me, that I honestly don't really understand what. As the truth would have it, it's my passion. I thought that this is probably just mistaken, but the more I stepped deeper into photography, my passion just grew stronger and I could not help myself but just to listen to my heart and to really hone my natural talent more, as my teacher put it.
    It's taken me so long to open up my eyes to realize that this is one of my hidden talent, a talent where it helped me to shape my character, and myself. It's true what they say, one picture are worth a thousand worth, and in that one picture alone, I was able to tell the whole story of what I wanted to perceive; I was able to express myself in a subtle way, yet obvious, and discover the pure magically relieved feeling that no words can describe, and yet so freely joyful. Photography has helped to respect more around me, to respect the beauty of the world itself, as they're scattered everywhere and probably won't last long, and they scream for their natural beauty of themselves to be captured, to be recreated in a story before they eternally vanish from our eyes.
    I didn't choose to be a photographer. I never even thought of this. But little did I know that as I grow up towards my adulthood, photography is one of my hidden gem of talent that's buried deep inside me, waiting to be discovered and to be honed to perfection. I'm glad I discovered that gem, because now I can combine it with my creativeness that's always in me, but I don't know how to express them. Now that I do, both of my skills are working harmoniously, both are in the process of being processed so that they may be perfect, and help me shape my character.

"Me, myself, and I"
    mg9136br4.jpg
    w1024.png
    Rawr. Mwarr. Woof~
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    Closing time - taken in an Italian/NY style restaurant in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada

439590957_t6K2y-L-1.jpg

Well, I don't feel uncomfortable of saying that I don't consider myself a photographer.

- I liked taking photos (snapshots) since I was young, as probably everybody else, just for fun... without knowing
    anything about photography.

I remember I had a "good" camera... it was a Russian one (Kiev) only black and white, of course
    (I'm talking about the 70's). I really enjoyed taking photos of my friends on our vacations, just for the fun of it...

Years later, when I came to Canada, I got a more advanced camera - smaller and color.
    I really enjoyed taking all kind of photos of all places I was seeing: streets, buildings, stores, cars,
    everything that I could show to my parents back home about the new environment and
    life style I was experiencing.

We like to travel, so I really had a lot of things to show - everything was new and soo exciting and my beloved
    ones appreciated seeing all those things, and learning about those places that some of them will never see,
    other than from my photos.

This was the thing that kept me going with this... I may call it "hobby"... but I'm not sure...

I remember when I got my first digital camera - in about 2002-2003 (point and shoot of course) I was super
    excited to be able to see the photos on my computer right away, skipping the step of having them developed and
    printed in a photo shop.

I took photos of everything I was seeing (now I do the same...) I used the camera in a journalistic style and
    I would say - this is the style I still like.

My background is similar to geoff's - I always enjoyed doing artistic things, but I had to become an
    engineer and I can say I didn't have anything in common with that...
    In a way was repeating my mother's story - she had to become a pharmacist, when in fact she was an artist
    and an appreciated painter. I learned beautiful things from her.
    - I took myself a school in fine arts after my engineering university, I studied some architecture, and also
    I followed a course in computer graphics. (at this point in time I changed
    my career from an engineer to a graphic designer, currently working on the Web)

Going back to photography: I never thought to use the camera for artistic things - and never made any
    connection between the two: art and photography, until very late. Now, I know there is a connection,
    but my knowledge in photography is quite limited - I mean I never read a book in photography.

- The only information I got on how to take photos was first from Istockphoto.com, where
    I became a contributor (this spring) - I did this because I thought I should take advantage of the fact that we're
    traveling and also of my curiosity and ability to observe things around me.

This year, in May, after a whole 3 months trip to Mexico where I used only my point a shoot camera, I realized
    that there were better cameras out there, available even for amateurs like me... so I bought my first real camera
    at the end of the trip, in Mexico City:) it's a Cannon SRL 40D.

- That was the moment when I decided to make my real first step into photography

- Wow... what a difference! - however, to be honest I feel like my photos were better before, because I was not
    stressed about all these settings... :) I have to practice more...

After joining SmuMug I read as the time allowed me as much as I could from the wonderful tutorials.

Participating in the DGrin contests was an especially big learning and enjoyable experience!
    - Here, now, at SmugMug/Dgrin I know I put my foot on the second step in photography:)

I also ordered some books in photography today... - I definitely got the bug now!

Who knows? - maybe one day I will become a photographer... :)

I'm not sure if the photo I submitted is the best, but I like the way I captured that old NY/Italian style atmosphere.

Kiki, what a great entry. I was laughing out loud when you said "I feel my pictures were better before, because I didn't have to worry about all of these settings." Hahahahah! Awesome. Great entry and picture.

I don't like it when you guys think you are not photographers. Everyone of you has an eye for this. Maybe we are not master photographers, but who really is?

Save your pictures, think about what you like most about them first. Then work your way down to the things you hate about them. You'll see how every subsequent photo will begin to improve. My photographs, from the summer, until now, completely look like someone else is taking the pictures.

Before
    332816763_KTShr-M.jpg

After
    427951616_oawEA-M.jpg

Before
    360428836_7GSnc-M.jpg

After
    445016706_7LFMw-M.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Autonomous wrote:
    Never once in my life this ever occurred on my mind, that I would be sort-of like a photographer. I'm not a photographer, yet. I'm very new to this wonderful world that I recently just discovered about a month ago. The first time I dwindled myself upon discovering the beauty of photography, something inside my heart sparked. Something burned inside me, that I honestly don't really understand what. As the truth would have it, it's my passion. I thought that this is probably just mistaken, but the more I stepped deeper into photography, my passion just grew stronger and I could not help myself but just to listen to my heart and to really hone my natural talent more, as my teacher put it.
    It's taken me so long to open up my eyes to realize that this is one of my hidden talent, a talent where it helped me to shape my character, and myself. It's true what they say, one picture are worth a thousand worth, and in that one picture alone, I was able to tell the whole story of what I wanted to perceive; I was able to express myself in a subtle way, yet obvious, and discover the pure magically relieved feeling that no words can describe, and yet so freely joyful. Photography has helped to respect more around me, to respect the beauty of the world itself, as they're scattered everywhere and probably won't last long, and they scream for their natural beauty of themselves to be captured, to be recreated in a story before they eternally vanish from our eyes.
    I didn't choose to be a photographer. I never even thought of this. But little did I know that as I grow up towards my adulthood, photography is one of my hidden gem of talent that's buried deep inside me, waiting to be discovered and to be honed to perfection. I'm glad I discovered that gem, because now I can combine it with my creativeness that's always in me, but I don't know how to express them. Now that I do, both of my skills are working harmoniously, both are in the process of being processed so that they may be perfect, and help me shape my character.

"Me, myself, and I"
    mg9136br4.jpg
    w1024.png

Totally amazing. I myself have that happen to me every day. I look at something, something ordinary, and say,"Wow, this would be a great photogrpaph."

You want to hear something funny? I didn't know that everynight when the sun sets, that the sky would glow with different colours. I though this was a phenomenon that occoured once in a blue moon. This happens everyday. Photography opens your eyes to the beautiful simple things you took for granted before.

Great entry!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    AutonomousAutonomous Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Omygosh, you totally ripped out the words from my mouth.
    Your simple sentence is how I would exactly describe it but then I got a little off and yeah..
    What you said is exactly what I felt everyday. I look at something ordinary and then I thought to myself, wow, how will I be able to capture this ordinary stuff into and extraordinary in a single picture?
    and the sky, I always admire it everyday, and never I miss a single day staring at the sky ever since I got into photography, seeing at the wonder of the sky that it brought to me today.
    "Photography opens your eyes to the beautiful simple things you took for granted before." -- totally true.
    Rawr. Mwarr. Woof~
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    "Photography opens your eyes to the beautiful simple things you took for granted before."

Yes sure it's true, and maybe the fastest and easiest way of doing it. Take a white paper and a pencil,
    and sckech or write about the things arround you, you will feel the same great sense of discovery...

As Marry mentioned:
    Being a photographer is not about your talent, but about your passion - your passion for life, for beauty, and for the special moments that we can find all around us.

Photography is just another way to express yourself, or your way to see the life.

That's why I said that less settings to worry about gave me more freedom.

However, if you want to bring all this to a higher level of expression, you can try different tools and techniques.

The question is: will these tools and techniques improve your ability in seeing things around you
    or express yourself better? I'm not sure... and anyway, who is really authorized to judge all this?

Should you go racket to the sky or down in to the mud, just because some person liked or disliked
    your work? (I'm not talking about respecting or not the basic rules of how human beings perceive different media)

Well this discussion can go far...

Anyway, thank you for considering my words, Frank. You are good thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    I'll have to apoligize in advance. I'm a total coward. I didn't want to be the one to have to pic a winner. Just like Kiki said, who is anyone to judge?

Like I said before, some pictures might mean absolutely nothing to anyone, but to us. It's worth more than gold. This wasn't a competition, this was a discussion. And a great one at that. No one is right or wrong, everyone won.

Let's review what was acomplished.

1. You understand why you became a photographer. It has nothing to do what others want to know. It's all about you and now that you see it for yourself in writing, you can focus truly on being a photographer. No more of this, "I don't consider myself a photographer" nonsense. A photographer is a person who takes pictures. You take pictures, you're a photographer.

2. Some of you got the jitters, of posting a picture, out of you. I didn't post a single picture on this site for 4 months. I was worried about how horrible my pictures were in comparison. But finally mustered up the courage to post and got some very interesting critique (sp?), that in the end improved my photography.

3. And last but not least, we opened up, we talked, some of us cried while remembering the past, some of us are looking forward to the future and how beutiful life truly is.

The only thing that make this a 'contest' is that the community will vote and someone will get a smugmug account for a year. But seriously, you one the second you started to write about why you became a photographer.

Thanks all for participating. I'll start the poll at 8pm tomorrow. They have me working nights and unfortunately, I'll be asleep when this 'contest' ends.

Thanks for all of the wonderful entries. This was a breath of fresh air.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    privateprivate Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    This contest actually is helping me build my web site. What I wrote will be out in to the about me section of my site (the part I was having the hardest time with...) So, I want to thank YOU for putting all of this together...:)
    Pat
    www.pixiememories.com

Canon Xti, 17-85IS, Nifty Fifty, 75-300 (kit lens), 430ex II and waaay too many filters :D
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    private wrote:
    This contest actually is helping me build my web site. What I wrote will be out in to the about me section of my site (the part I was having the hardest time with...) So, I want to thank YOU for putting all of this together...:)

That's exactly what I meant when I said we were all winners!

The moment of truth is now, I cheated and upped the finallists to 5. I don't even know how I'm going to pick 5 people. So much for the 10 point system, everyone got a 10. LoL.

Starting the poll in a new thread.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    That's exactly what I meant when I said we were all winners!

The moment of truth is now, I cheated and upped the finallists to 5. I don't even know how I'm going to pick 5 people. So much for the 10 point system, everyone got a 10. LoL.

Starting the poll in a new thread.

Yes you did cheat.

I entered here just because you insisted and because I was assured that this will not be actually a contest.

Now you came up with a pull - I never had the smallest desire to be a winner, because, as I said, I didn't want to participate to this if it was a contest, so no, I'm not upset that I'm not on the list.

I am upset when I see somebody cheating like this.

If you really wanted everybody to be a winner, you should have put all of us (we where only 6, or 7...) into the pull.

I have to say that I don't like your manner, and I'm verry sorry that I just wanted to help you with this contest and participated even though I had no desire to do it.

Please allow me to delete my entry an all my conversation from this thing. If for some reason I cannot do it,
    please do it for me.

No other comments please, just take me out of this. Thanks.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    Yes you did cheat.

I entered here just because you insisted and because I was assured that this will not be actually a contest.

Now you came up with a pull - I never had the smallest desire to be a winner, because, as I said, I didn't want to participate to this if it was a contest, so no, I'm not upset that I'm not on the list.

I am upset when I see somebody cheating like this.

If you really wanted everybody to be a winner, you should have put all of us (we where only 6, or 7...) into the pull.

I have to say that I don't like your manner, and I'm verry sorry that I just wanted to help you with this contest and participated even though I had no desire to do it.

Please allow me to delete my entry an all my conversation from this thing. If for some reason I cannot do it,
    please do it for me.

No other comments please, just take me out of this. Thanks.

I don't understand why you are so upset. At first you didn't want to post anything because you said you didn't want to join a contest. I told you to make believe it wasn't a contest. Your entry was great, everyone's entry was great. I actually enjoyed your entry and your photograph. I was only supposed to pick 3. The next odd number is 5.

I'm sorry you are upset Kiki. Don't know what else to say.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I don't understand why you are so upset. At first you didn't want to post anything because you said you didn't want to join a contest. I told you to make believe it wasn't a contest. Your entry was great, everyone's entry was great. I actually enjoyed your entry and your photograph. I was only supposed to pick 3. The next odd number is 5.

I'm sorry you are upset Kiki. Don't know what else to say.

My real name is Tatiana and as I said, if you really wanted to keep you promise, you should make a pull
    of all of us, especially considering that we were only 6 or 7.

If you don't delete all my posts immediately, I'll try to do this myself, or ask for assistance from the persons in charge.

- I don't want to open my soul and feelings into a pull, sorry -
    I should actually say in the trash, because I'm not in the pull.

* Also, please delete all the posts including my name. Thanks
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Well, It seems that I cannot have my posts deleted.
    That's all right, I think I can live with this - my mistake.

I'd like to add that I read all the entries, I enjoyed them and I was impressed by every story.
    We are all different, yet we have something in common: the love for the photography :)

I wish everybody a happy New Year's Eve and all the best in the year to come.

I actually received some fantastic books from Santa and I'm spending all these free days now,
    reading them - I can't wait to go out and try to put in practice my new knowledge in photography.

Maybe sometimes I will be even on the final list - this, in case I will ever participate in a contest again ;)

All the best.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    Well, It seems that I cannot have my posts deleted.
    That's all right, I think I can live with this - my mistake.

I'd like to add that I read all the entries, I enjoyed them and I was impressed by every story.
    We are all different, yet we have something in common: the love for the photography :)

I wish everybody a happy New Year's Eve and all the best in the year to come.

I actually received some fantastic books from Santa and I'm spending all these free days now,
    reading them - I can't wait to go out and try to put in practice my new knowledge in photography.

Maybe sometimes I will be even on the final list - this, in case I will ever participate in a contest again ;)

All the best.

Tatiana,

I'm glad this worked out for you in the end. You can always delete your own posts, it's one of the options when you edit your post. In the future, if you need help with anything, your best option is to make a post in our Place Requests To Moderators Here thread. It's a sticky thread at the top of our Dgrin Forum Support forum. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops