Options

5DIII: ok, I'll play along with the latest rumor

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    And Canon rumor's price point is $2700? Seems to good to be true...

It does, but even if it's $2999 (I'm hoping for under 3K), it should trickle down after a few months. Maybe rolleyes1.gif

Even at $3k I might just be able to justify it. If it's heading for 4k, there's no way I could invest that much as a part-time shooter.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    It does, but even if it's $2999 (I'm hoping for under 3K), it should trickle down after a few months. Maybe rolleyes1.gif

Even at $3k I might just be able to justify it. If it's heading for 4k, there's no way I could invest that much as a part-time shooter.

The ORIGINAL 5D came out at $3300 in when, 2005? I'm betting the 5D mk3 will be $3300-$3500, if it gets ALL the rumored specs. If they cram all those specs in at just $3K, well, people will say "they pulled a Nikon" or something!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    doesn't it take more time to scroll through that many points and make a decision quickly? ne_nau.gif)

Depends how they're organised and (how easily) accessed, I'd have thought?

I bought a used 1D3 for similar money as a new 7D about 2 yrs ago, and it's the shape of the AF area coverage on the 1, compared with the 'diamond' which I personally prefer.

At the times I'm forced to use my 40D and its diamond, it's a right pita ...

I suspect I'd feel the same about a 7D (in this respect), although I've never used one.

pp
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    The ORIGINAL 5D came out at $3300 in when, 2005? I'm betting the 5D mk3 will be $3300-$3500, if it gets ALL the rumored specs. If they cram all those specs in at just $3K, well, people will say "they pulled a Nikon" or something!

=Matt=

What was the 5d2 at launch? Sorry if I'm simply out of the loop here - I always thought it had started right around 3k.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    What was the 5d2 at launch? Sorry if I'm simply out of the loop here - I always thought it had started right around 3k.

$2700.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2008/9/17/canon_5dmarkII

I agree that IF the 5DIII has 45 or 61 point AF, AND the Nikon D800 is $4000 or more, the 5DIII could hit $3500.

If it has 7D AF or less, it should stay at $2700 or less. If it has 61 point AF for $2700, I will soil myself.

That is actually conceivable as the 1DX represents a 15% price drop from the 1DsIII.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Nikon shooters, doesn't it take more time to scroll through that many points and make a decision quickly? ne_nau.gif

Not at all. I find it very intuitive. From what I understand, on Canon you spin the dial and it cycles through the AF points so you have to proceed through them in a certain order(?). On Nikon, we don't have a thumb dial, it's a directional pad, so you just hit the button in the direction you want to go and the highlighted focus point moves wherever you want. Very quick and easy.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Not at all. I find it very intuitive. From what I understand, on Canon you spin the dial and it cycles through the AF points so you have to proceed through them in a certain order(?). On Nikon, we don't have a thumb dial, it's a directional pad, so you just hit the button in the direction you want to go and the highlighted focus point moves wherever you want. Very quick and easy.

Same thing in Canon. It's not a default setting, but one of the Custom Functions allows you to use the central 8+1 joystick exactly for that. I myself never use the wheel to change the focal point and the mere idea of scrolling through 45/61 etc points seems rather ridiculous, to say the least....
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    You can do the same thing on Canon xD and xxD bodies using the multi-controller joystick.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    From what I understand, on Canon you spin the dial and it cycles through the AF points so you have to proceed through them in a certain order(?). On Nikon, we don't have a thumb dial, it's a directional pad, so you just hit the button in the direction you want to go and the highlighted focus point moves wherever you want. Very quick and easy.

3 AF access routes on 1D3 and 40D ... assume other Canon bodies similar.

Rear dial
    Top thumbwheel
    Rear joystick

With user choice of layout / no of points used on 1D

pp
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 2, 2012
    - Digic 4. Fine by me.

The main processor would be Digic 5, as in all their new cameras. It is suggested that the AF alone would be processed via an older Digic 4 sub-processor.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Same thing in Canon. It's not a default setting, but one of the Custom Functions allows you to use the central 8+1 joystick exactly for that. I myself never use the wheel to change the focal point and the mere idea of scrolling through 45/61 etc points seems rather ridiculous, to say the least....

I have my 7d set to use the joystick. I also like that with the joystick you can set it to go back to center point with a single push on the joystick. Very useful if you want to get there quickly.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Yeah the whole focus point selection thing is handled BEAUTIFULLY on Nikon. I actually find it easier to navigate focus points on Nikon's 51 point system than Canon's 9-point AF on the 5-series.

First, the "joypad" is huge compared to Canon's "joybutton". It's just easier to work with

Second, when using the 9-point AF on the Canons, each button position corresponds EXACTLY to a focus point. That's convenient if you can nail it each time, however I'm just kinda clumsy I guess, I hardly ever get it perfect the first try.

Third, even on Canon's (now old) 45-point AF, the points are staggered so even though the joypad can control them in an "up-down-left-right" fashion, it's still a little weird.

Fourth, if all else fails, you can reduce Nikon's focus points from 51 to 11, which allows you to move from point to point VERY rapidly.

=Matt=
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Not on the 7D, there is a joy stick button that lets you "drive" left, right, up, down to the focus point you want to use.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Not on the 7D, there is a joy stick button that lets you "drive" left, right, up, down to the focus point you want to use.

That is correct, and I'm glad Canon has finally adopted this system of AF point control. If you'll notice, the AF points on the 1DX are also very in-line, compared to the off-set (triangle / hex pattern) AF points on the older 1-series bodies.

Canon has also created a SECOND control dial, and that is something I'm honestly still kinda puzzled by; I"ll have to test it in the real world before I make a judgment call though. Honestly, I wish they'd just make a big fat joypad like Nikon has, and put their wheel dial around it like on the Canon 60D... Or some camera I forget which, but they did a great job of this...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    What is this "finally"? It's been like this since the 40D, and the joystick moves in 8 directions. Or just press the joystick straight in and it instantly selects the center point.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    What is this "finally"? It's been like this since the 40D, and the joystick moves in 8 directions. Or just press the joystick straight in and it instantly selects the center point.

Nikon has used the "up-down-left-right" method since the F5 in the 90's. Then, Canon was relying on a crazy dual-dial system.

When Canon finally introduced the "joybutton" on the 20D and 1Ds mk2 in 2004, it wasn't even functional for focus point selection on the 1Ds mk2, and on the 20D it was as I described- Each of the 8 directions corresponded *exactly* with a single focus point, so you really had to be careful if you were clumsy, otherwise you'd click the wrong focus point. Over and over again, if you're me. Yes, it's nifty to be able to press the center button and go right to the center focus point, but again Nikon has that too and in my opinion it is an easier button to press...

This continued on the 5-series, both still using a similar 9-point system, and the 1Ds mk3 didn't gain "up-down-left-right" focus point control until halfway through it's life, when Canon woke up and added the feature in a firmware upgrade. I specifically remember this because Becker did a test / review of the 1Ds mk3 and actually ended up going back to his 5D mk1 afterwards because he needed that direct focus point control feature. Canon updated the firmware a few months / year later.

In fact, The Canon 7D is the ONLY affordable DSLR to have true "up-down-left-right" focus point control, with focus points arranged neatly in columns and rows. Even then, The "joybutton" is still kinda oriented in a diagonal fashion, and I still kinda prefer the Nikon "joypad". I accidentally bump my focus points 90% less on my Nikon's than when I'm shooting with either the 7-series or 5-series bodies. (I'm left-eyed) In fact to be honest most of the time I just turn the "multi-controller direct" feature off completely, and resort to hitting the dedicated AF point selection button. (AKA the zoom in button)

All in all, my point was to answer the question directed at Nikon users about focus point control. I'm glad that Canon may finally be addressing this drawback in ease-of-use, and I might even switch to shooting on the 5D mk3 for my work, if the studio I work at decides they can afford to spring for a half-dozen of them Laughing.gif.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    oh yeah, 20D, quite right! Anyway ergonomics and controls are a highly subjective thing. I've never picked up any Nikon DSLR and been anything but utterly confounded. When I went from my Canon S45 point-n-shoot to a borrowed 10D, I didn't even have to crack the manual.

BUT, if the D800 ends up getting the D4 chip (I know, doubtful but I still wouldn't be surprised), and the 5DIII gets 9+6 point AF, my fingers might have to learn Nikonese.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Things are starting to look hopeful... If this is what we're getting and it comes in under $3k (under $2800 even better) I think I am going to be a happy (if poor!) girl ....

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/5d-mark-iiix-information-cr1/
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    oh yeah, 20D, quite right! Anyway ergonomics and controls are a highly subjective thing. I've never picked up any Nikon DSLR and been anything but utterly confounded. When I went from my Canon S45 point-n-shoot to a borrowed 10D, I didn't even have to crack the manual.

BUT, if the D800 ends up getting the D4 chip (I know, doubtful but I still wouldn't be surprised), and the 5DIII gets 9+6 point AF, my fingers might have to learn Nikonese.

Unfortunately (?) the D800 came in at 36 megapixels as predicted, but fortunately for you the Canon 5D mk3 rumors are looking VERY good. I'm still keeping my doubts, but am hopeful!

You may not have to switch after all. Which is a shame, tough, since those Nikon controls are SO much better! ...For me, that is. :-P

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Unfortunately (?) the D800 came in at 36 megapixels as predicted, but fortunately for you the Canon 5D mk3 rumors are looking VERY good. I'm still keeping my doubts, but am hopeful!

You may not have to switch after all. Which is a shame, tough, since those Nikon controls are SO much better! ...For me, that is. :-P

=Matt=

Yeah, I saw the D800 land, of course. My Canon lenses are quite safe. Who wants to shoot 36mp all day? Not me.

Interesting how there is now this gaping hole in Nikon's lineup that is only filled by the $6000 D4. I think the 5DIII is going to snuggle right into it quite nicely!
    -Jack

• Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Not having an extreme pixel count makes sense to me. If you want absurd megapixels with well controlled noise while maintaining great dynamic range, I suspect Sony's sensors are the only game in town at the moment (unless Canon's sensor engineers have managed to catch up, of course).
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »
    (unless Canon's sensor engineers have managed to catch up, of course).

It's quite possible that they already did, and then some...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2010/8/24/canon120mpsensor
    -Jack

• Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Seems like every time i look here my son is getting a longer sentence. Sorry. Will the moderator delete this post.
    Kind regards
    Patrick.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Canon Rumors gives this a CR3 rating:

5D Mark III/X
    Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.

Specs
    22mp
    61pt AF
    100% VF
    3.2″ LCD
    Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    Price: Around $3500 USD
    Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)
    Sounds great. Was hoping it would come in under or at 3,000 but expected this number for MSRP.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    HEY-OOOO!!! They've gone and done the impossible. Congratulations, Canon / Canon shooters! Welcome to the "affordable flagship AF" party!
    clap.gifwings.gifivar

=Matt=
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Seems like every time i look here my son is getting a longer sentence. Sorry. Will the moderator delete this post.
    Kind regards
    Patrick.

Have you changed your password for Dgrin yet?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Canon Rumors gives this a CR3 rating:

5D Mark III/X
    Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.

Specs
    22mp
    61pt AF
    100% VF
    3.2″ LCD
    Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    Price: Around $3500 USD
    Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)
    Sounds great. Was hoping it would come in under or at 3,000 but expected this number for MSRP.
    Any rumors re: FPS? will it be 5, 6? I'm guessing not more.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    I've seen rumors of 6-6.9 but not with any certainty rating attributed
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Have you changed your password for Dgrin yet?

No i havent. I dont think i even remember what it is. I just go to my favourites and click on th link for this site.Dont worry he wont be doing this in a hurry again. I think he has learned his lesson. Thanks for your comment
    Kind regards
    Patrick.
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    HEY-OOOO!!! They've gone and done the impossible. Congratulations, Canon / Canon shooters! Welcome to the "affordable flagship AF" party!
    clap.gifwings.gifivar

=Matt=

Probably shouldn't count chickens etc.

Personally though, better AF points is much more important than more AF points. In fact,I could live with just one if it worked reliably in very low light.