Options

5DIII: ok, I'll play along with the latest rumor

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Can't wait for the 5DII price to drop. The 5DII's center point is great. I totally understand how most shooters need a new AF system in the 5D3, but a $1200 5DII is going to be a better value for me than a $3500 5D3.
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    When i moved from using a 40d to a 5d2 i seen a vast difference in the quality of my photographs but i take this as a given that i started to use a 24-70 f2.8 lens. The megapixel count nearly doubled and so did my file size. Now i am thinking apart from a few better focusing points and a second memory card will i be taking as big a step like i did from the 40d to the 5d2 travelling onto the new 5d3?
    Kind regards
    Patrick.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I just really hope new features from the 1Dx will be on the new 5D, like the rating system. For those of us shooting news on a deadline, it would REALLY help...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Jim, this is a feature you've mentioned quite a few times, but I"m still unclear exactly what it does. I know when I need to "rate" images, I just use the lock feature to tag the ones I know I want, and then only upload those to the computer later. Granted, this is menu driven and not necessarily something I can do *while* shooting, but if I'm reviewing through a card of images it can be useful.

Just curious thumb.gif

ETA:
    Can't wait for the 5DII price to drop. The 5DII's center point is great. I totally understand how most shooters need a new AF system in the 5D3, but a $1200 5DII is going to be a better value for me than a $3500 5D3.

I know that I will want what the 5d3 looks set to offer, but I also know I'm not going to have that kind of money in the next couple of months unless I get a slew of bookings (and if I do, I am ALL OVER IT lol).

If life is more realistically what I expect, though, I'm considering doing what I did on the path to the 7d, which was to find a well-priced 50d while I built up some more savings, and then jump to the 7d about a year after it was released and the price had come down a little bit. If I grabbed a good copy of the 5d2 as people throw them overboard to upgrade, that might be a decent way forward ~muses~
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    When i moved from using a 40d to a 5d2 i seen a vast difference in the quality of my photographs but i take this as a given that i started to use a 24-70 f2.8 lens. The megapixel count nearly doubled and so did my file size. Now i am thinking apart from a few better focusing points and a second memory card will i be taking as big a step like i did from the 40d to the 5d2 travelling onto the new 5d3?
    Kind regards
    Patrick.
    The short answer to the question is, if you have to ask, it's not the camera for you. The "big step" will be in the focus system, and video quality / functions. I bet there will be a minimal increase in dynamic range and ISO performance, not nearly enough to be the sole reason for an upgrade considering how the 5D mk2 already delivers amazing images in low light. If they're in focus. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Jim, this is a feature you've mentioned quite a few times, but I"m still unclear exactly what it does. I know when I need to "rate" images, I just use the lock feature to tag the ones I know I want, and then only upload those to the computer later. Granted, this is menu driven and not necessarily something I can do *while* shooting, but if I'm reviewing through a card of images it can be useful....

I'm assuming that this will simply be a star-raking system that is readable in the metadata for programs like Lightroom etc. This will be extremely helpful for event shooters and other pros who click high volumes of images in short periods and need to remember which image in a set of 10+ is the "keeper" or whatever.

Not at all a critical feature, but indeed useful.

=Matt=
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Well, Feb 26th didn't happen. rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe March 4th will....headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Original rumor was the 28th, but it's been backed up to March 2nd. Still, sounds like an announcement is imminent one way or another....
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Original rumor was the 28th, but it's been backed up to March 2nd. Still, sounds like an announcement is imminent one way or another....

I'm looking forward to this one, I got a 7D a while back and love it, but really been wanting the 5D2 for more landscape stuff but been holding back for this new 5D3....I'm just super excited about this!!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    J Allen wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this one, I got a 7D a while back and love it, but really been wanting the 5D2 for more landscape stuff but been holding back for this new 5D3....I'm just super excited about this!!

Joe
    Mind sharing your thoughts on 7d for landscape photography? Im trying to decide which way to go from my 50d.
    Thanks
  • Options
    pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    I have the 5dm2 and have used the 7d. For landscape work they are both capable cameras, but all other things equal (i.e. glass, stability, etc) the 5dm2 is going to have much cleaner final images.

Depending upon your final use you may or may not notice the difference without pixel peeping, but blown up large enough the difference is obvious.

Bringing the discussion back on topic, I am not sure how much the new 5dm3 will actually have for landscape/studio type shooting over the current model.
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    The short answer to the question is, if you have to ask, it's not the camera for you. The "big step" will be in the focus system, and video quality / functions. I bet there will be a minimal increase in dynamic range and ISO performance, not nearly enough to be the sole reason for an upgrade considering how the 5D mk2 already delivers amazing images in low light. If they're in focus. ;-)

=Matt=

Hi Matt
    Thankyou for your help. The focus issue is somthing that needs to be sorted out especially in low light as my trash bin is full. I have noticed a difference in quality between the screen on my 5d2 and what i end up with in camera raw but that is an issue that was beaten to death. The video quality is superb. How many people have a proper hd tv is the answer to that and i endup having to put all of my hd 25fps through a converter anyway to edit them, but i always keep the original footage just incase i upgrade my laptop for future use. I had to ask because the jump that i require would not justfy just a few issues that can be overcome with manual focus and a video system that just needs a rolling focus too. My father once said to me that there is a golden rule that you have to abide by and that is one tool one job.
    If you to buy a pound of steak you would not ask a tailor. Granted that the 5d2 can do its job well, the amount of extras you need along with the knowelege to adjust your camera for different scenes is not worth the hassle unless for home videos is a given to throw it into P (Professional lo) mode.
    I am looking forward to the reviews whenever they come out but judging from what you have wrote here, for me at least, the camera would have to come closer to the flagship to justify the jump.
    Kind regards
    Patrick.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Joe
    Mind sharing your thoughts on 7d for landscape photography? Im trying to decide which way to go from my 50d.
    Thanks

The 7D is the better camera if weight and size are your concern, if you need the versatility. With a 7D you have many awesome third-party options for ultra-wide, like the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and the Sigma 10-20, or of course the SUPER SHARP 10-22 EF-S... On the 5D mk2, you're really just stuck between the 16-35 mk2 and the 17-40 L, nothing else really resolves corners well enough to defeat the 7D. (Although Tokina has been coming out with a few new full-frame ultrawides...)

Also, the 7D affords you a much better telephopto camera for wildlife and any other kind of shooting where reach is important. Overall it's just a more versatile camera, if versatility is more important to you than sheer image quality. And even then, the 7D delivers AMAZING image quality if you expose it right.

Personally i'd go with the 7D any day, because that's the type of shooting I do. But many hardcore landscape shooters (with more money to burn) go with the 5D mk2 and I'm sure they're very happy.

=Matt=
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    HEY-OOOO!!! They've gone and done the impossible. Congratulations, Canon / Canon shooters! Welcome to the "affordable flagship AF" party!
    clap.gifwings.gifivar

=Matt=

Yeah it will be a sweet camera. I'm not sure $3500 counts as "affordable", but I guess it is compared to $6800. I'm still hoping for $2700. $3500 seems a little unfair unless it is a quantum leap over the Nikon D700, and not just in resolution.

Anyway my 7D is on the block now, 5DII will be whenever the III hits the stores.
    Andy wrote: »
    Any rumors re: FPS? will it be 5, 6? I'm guessing not more.

canonrumors.com has ranged from 6 to 7.5.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Joe
    Thanks

Here is a quick landscape test I did between my 5DII and 7D:

http://www.jmphotocraft.com/5DII_v_7D/shore.htm
    The 7D is the better camera if weight and size are your concern, if you need the versatility.

The difference in size and weight between the 7D and 5DII is insignificant. Actually I can't tell a difference holding them in my hands, I'd have to look it up.
    With a 7D you have many awesome third-party options for ultra-wide, like the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and the Sigma 10-20, or of course the SUPER SHARP 10-22 EF-S... On the 5D mk2, you're really just stuck between the 16-35 mk2 and the 17-40 L, nothing else really resolves corners well enough to defeat the 7D. (Although Tokina has been coming out with a few new full-frame ultrawides...)

I had a Sigma 10-20. I didn't think it was awesome. The colors were just off. By itself it's a fine lens but compared to the rest of my Canon lenses I just couldn't get past the difference in color. Also I wouldn't call it super sharp, and the 10-22 isn't any sharper.

I love the 17-40L on my 5DII.
    Also, the 7D affords you a much better telephopto camera for wildlife and any other kind of shooting where reach is important. Overall it's just a more versatile camera, if versatility is more important to you than sheer image quality. And even then, the 7D delivers AMAZING image quality if you expose it right.

Personally i'd go with the 7D any day, because that's the type of shooting I do. But many hardcore landscape shooters (with more money to burn) go with the 5D mk2 and I'm sure they're very happy.

=Matt=

The 7D wins when you are focal length limited, of course. But if you really enjoy pixel peeping and/or you print very large, the 5DII wins. Also if you want to get into tilt-shift lenses, you don't have a choice.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    Here is a quick landscape test I did between my 5DII and 7D:
    http://www.jmphotocraft.com/5DII_v_7D/shore.htm
    Nice test case, thanks for sharing! Matches my experience exactly...

The difference in size and weight between the 7D and 5DII is insignificant. Actually I can't tell a difference holding them in my hands, I'd have to look it up.
    +1
    I don't feel it either: the weight difference is 10 grams. And, FWIW, 5D2 is *lighter* ;-)
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos7d&products=canon_eos5dmkii
    ...and the 10-22 isn't any sharper.
    +1
    EF 16-35MkII leaves it in the dust.
    The 7D wins when you are focal length limited, of course. But if you really enjoy pixel peeping and/or you print very large, the 5DII wins. Also if you want to get into tilt-shift lenses, you don't have a choice.
    +1
    .. or a fish-eye, for that matter ;-)

All in all 7D is a great camera for a price. It has "reach". It has a large lineup of relatively inexpensive EF-S glass, both from Canon and from 3d parties (Sigma, Tamron). It has fast fps rate that also makes it a decent choice for any dynamic actions. I like its other niceties, e.g. a built-in level, etc.
    I'm sure 99.95% of the customers would never be able to tell which print came from which camera. Heck, I printed and sold 20"x30" canvasses from 20D/30D, to which 7D is vastly superior.

But speaking of the ultimate image quality side by side: 5DmkII combined with EF/L glass is superior to 7D + EF-S combination, especially so in low light/high ISO conditions.
    Unfortunately, like many good things in life, this quality comes at a price, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/5d-mark-iii-full-spec-list/

5d3front.png
    Unsurpassed Image Quality
    22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
    DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
    ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
    Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation
    61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
    6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
    Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
    3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
    iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
    Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features
    Silent & low vibration modes
    Dual card slots (CF & SD)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
    Multiple Exposures
    Comparative Playback function
    Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS
    Available Colours – Black
    Megapixels – 22MP
    Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm
    ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600
    Autofocus Points – 61 points
    Lens Mount – Canon
    LCD Size – 3.2″
    Liveview – Yes
    Viewfinder – Optical TTL
    Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
    Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
    Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps
    Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec
    Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
    Video Resolution – Full HD 1080
    Memory Type – Compact Flash
    Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
    Battery – LP-E6
    Battery Type – Lithium-ion
    Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger
    File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
    Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
    Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012

I'm getting the first two units that Tallyn's gets, one for me and one to GIVE AWAY from SmugMug :D
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I'm getting the first two units that Tallyn's gets, one for me and one to GIVE AWAY from SmugMug :D

Thanks Andy. I'll take the "give away" one off your hands. :D
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    I thought I was getting the first one, but I guess beauty before age ;-P mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    The announced Canon 5D II is a total piece of crap. The only people buying these will be the Canon fan boys....and girls.

Good grief people look at this with some objectivity. Nikon has a 36MP camera for under 3k. Nokia has a cell phone, yes a cell phone with 41MP. What do we get? A measly antiquated 22MP. :cry

There is a camera that lets you choose the focus after you take the shot. Does Canon....noooooo. You have to buy fancy expensive lenses and practice until the cows (the same cows you may not be able to photograph any more) come home.

What if you drop it in a little water? Toast. Whats up with that? The darn thing is using a mirror system from the late forties. We don't need no stinking mirror flapping around. The darn thing won't even have a built in flash. Ya gota buy more stuff.

They rely on some type of battery system prone to exploding. They only come in one color, black. What is wrong with those Canon people? Don't they know there are a lot of woman who are becoming fantastic photographers? It doesn't hurt to be color coordinated while taking those great images.

And don't even get me started on that Dx 1 thing that costs 136 times more than my first car!

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012

Choose me!!! Choose me!!! wave.gif:D
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    The announced Canon 5D II is a total piece of crap. The only people buying these will be the Canon fan boys....and girls.

Good grief people look at this with some objectivity. Nikon has a 36MP camera for under 3k. Nokia has a cell phone, yes a cell phone with 41MP. What do we get? A measly antiquated 22MP. :cry

There is a camera that lets you choose the focus after you take the shot. Does Canon....noooooo. You have to buy fancy expensive lenses and practice until the cows (the same cows you may not be able to photograph any more) come home.

What if you drop it in a little water? Toast. Whats up with that? The darn thing is using a mirror system from the late forties. We don't need no stinking mirror flapping around. The darn thing won't even have a built in flash. Ya gota buy more stuff.

They rely on some type of battery system prone to exploding. They only come in one color, black. What is wrong with those Canon people? Don't they know there are a lot of woman who are becoming fantastic photographers? It doesn't hurt to be color coordinated while taking those great images.

And don't even get me started on that Dx 1 thing that costs 136 times more than my first car!

Sam
    rolleyes1.gifthumbclap.gif
  • Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012

I'll be eagerly awaiting that give away... gotta start the good luck rituals now!
  • Options
    TacmedicTacmedic Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012

Pick me! Pick me!thumb.gif
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    This seems like a tough sell for current 5D2 owners.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,188 moderator
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hey, Andy, I called Tallyn's this afternoon and they confirmed you were number one. That's great for you and bad for me. :(: How about I let you use my personal North American network of underground mag-lev tunnel shuttles that connect most all the national parks in the western half of the US and Canada - in exchange for the rights to your first-in-line 5DIII? deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    mwink.gifrofl"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow..." iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    This seems like a tough sell for current 5D2 owners.

If you think that, well, then you should buy a 5D mk2! They'll be pretty cheap!

=Matt=