Options

SmugMug Update From Baldy

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    racer wrote: »
    What happened to the site-wide html, javascript, etc? Am I missing something, or have you thrown the fully custom site out the door, in the name of "ease of use". It is incredible confusing to someone who just wants to take full control and enter a bunch of html and css (in one place!)
    Completely agree.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I figured there might be a division amongst the more 'html programmer' types and 'just want to take photo' types with the new design. I'm in the latter category and just want to focus on making photos, uploading them and presenting them as beautifully as possible with minimal fuss. It appears to me we've taken a big step in that direction with the new design which I'm grateful for. I desire a simple, clean aesthetic that gets the job done and focuses on my photos. I don't want to spend hours tweaking my site just to center a gallery or create a border.

Not sure if SM can be all things to all folks, but the old SM wasn't doing it for me and it appears the new one is going to do the trick. I'm trying to get other non-photo related things done today but I've already been playing with the preview!

I also put a lot of effort over the years into customizing my old SM site, but it was liberating when I nuked it in preparation for my current wordpress based site (which will probably go away now) and ultimately this new design. Many thanks to Allen, Denise and others over the years helping to make SM better for the rest of us! I think now you guys might have more time on your hands with the new design!
  • Options
    chaseltonchaselton Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    What happened to the site-wide html, javascript, etc? Am I missing something, or have you thrown the fully custom site out the door, in the name of "ease of use". It is incredible confusing to someone who just wants to take full control and enter a bunch of html and css (in one place!)

There's a CSS button in the customizations menu when you select a theme to preview.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Initial Impressions:
    • Themes are cleaner and better looking
    • Organization is easier...I just moved 300+ photos into a new location using drag and drop
    • GUI customization interface is more granular

There are a few glitches...dragging and dropping works, but throws an error and the theme customization GUI takes some getting used to. I've yet to find anything that bothers me.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    bike21 wrote: »
    I figured there might be a division amongst the more 'html programmer' types and 'just want to take photo' types with the new design.

It is not just the "html programmer" type, it is the I paid tons of money for a custom site type, who now cant migrate to the new smugmug without starting from scratch. I built my smugmug site myself, as it shows in the poor design, but I simply want to migrate over, not fully redesign it!

Imagine if yesterday you spent $700+ on a custom smugmug site, and now today you are finding out that you cant migrate that design, that if you want the new smugmug features, you must pay another $700+ for a total redesign?
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 30, 2013

I would encourage you to try the new SmugMug. Really. It's incredibly easy to use, incredibly easy to customize and if you need it, there is even a place to do further customization.

The new site is exactly that. New. It was a bold and very brave thing to commit to re-writing everything from scratch. From what I saw today, it was well worth the effort. I commend the SmugMug Team for making that move because to me, that was a sure sign of customer commitment.

Please also keep in mind you can play around with your site and make all the customizations you need or want while maintaining your current look and feel-that's a pretty powerful thing-especially for folks who need time to figure out what's what.

Count me as a happy and grateful customer. Job well done SmugMug!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    It is not just the "html programmer" type, it is the I paid tons of money for a custom site type, who now cant migrate to the new smugmug without starting from scratch. I built my smugmug site myself, as it shows in the poor design, but I simply want to migrate over, not fully redesign it!

Imagine if yesterday you spent $700+ on a custom smugmug site, and now today you are finding out that you cant migrate that design, that if you want the new smugmug features, you must pay another $700+ for a total redesign?

I see what you mean Todd and don't want to diminish that aspect of it. If you are in love with your custom design then it might be a challenge to accept the new design especially if you paid lots of money for it. I didn't mean to over simplify everyone's issues, just a broader statement of what might happen. Obviously we are all unique in our needs & desires for what we need.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Completely agree.

I also agree! I've never had any negativity towards SmugMug. While the obvious work is respected, appreciated and impressive, the decision to completely remove the advanced customization many of us were used to is very disappointing. I personally found it addicting to have the ability to customize my site in nearly any way imaginable. Dgrin has been like a buried treasure with some amazingly skilled code wizards to help Smuggers of all code levels. To learn CSS and HTML and start learning and understanding their relationship and Javascript, just to have that ability scraped is heartbreaking. There is no other way to use and implement such learning. True, one could leave SmugMug (gasp!) and create a website and do that, but SmugMug's advanced customization was just more intuitive and to be honest, really freaking fun! Someone mentioned the HTML and CSS boxes. I tried to insert a basic HTML code in my footer that is in place in the custom HTML section on my other website and it does not work. The code itself is visible. Why would an HTML box work on one companies website and not another? Makes no sense. I'm also not liking how the reveal was so 'Apple'. SmugMug has never needed to be anything except 'Smug'. It feels like pride and competition and paranoia to justify the price increase rushed things. There are many pages that are still on the old design such as watermarking. The cart has not changed and many have requested that. I'm sure there are changes coming, but please be more transparent. You don't have to elaborate HOW these changes are coming, but you can say the cart is being updated within the next X months unless there is a delay. The amount of negative posts regarding the reveal and the silence regarding how this will affect customizations is disturbing. I am a loyal Smugger and always will be. I've tried for years to be a Support Hero with no luck. I support what SmugMug has created in this reveal, but just feel that the changes consider a group of people who complained at the frustration of coding with no experience and ignored those of us who were addicted to the ability and proud of our work. I truly wish the changes had been more based upon the preference of the entire collective instead of still forcing a change based upon our assumed needs despite the indication that a change would not be forced: Post #125, from Baldy http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1881443

Yes, I will give this time and thoroughly evaluate before determining a final opinion.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013

You can complain, it's your right. Or you could use the time to just "DO IT" and make a new site that's a billion times better than your old site. It's NOT HARD :smo
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    You can complain, it's your right. Or you could use the time to just "DO IT" and make a new site that's a billion times better than your old site. It's NOT HARD :smo

How long did it take to change olde moonriverphotography to almost exactly the same look with the new SmugMug?
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    How long did it take to change olde moonriverphotography to almost exactly the same look with the new SmugMug?

Dunno, 15 minutes? I still have a little bit of work to do on my About gallery but I'm thrilled :D
  • Options
    davidmedinadavidmedina Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Muahahahahahahaaaaaa!

*feeling incredibly sorry for impatient people who jumped ship* If I learned ANYTHING from Nikon, it's that slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race. wings.gifivarbowdown.gif

Actually, I didn't jump ship but I wish I did and saved my $250. This New Smugmug solved only 5% of my issues with Smugmug. 95% still unsolved and it seems like it will stay like that.

I should have not better than expect that a company that is worry about what Flicker does or not, that sees them as their competition would really take event photographers needs seriously.

I am glad that those who were looking for an easier way of doing a website got their wish, but that was my 100 in the list of 100 wish list. The other 99 are left hanging.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013

Sure, the new smugmug looks great, and I could have a sleek smugmug site that will soon looks like a billion other sleek smugmug sites. You know exactly what I am complaining about, it is the lose of the advanced customizations we had before. We all dont want to look like moonriverphotography you know.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    I'm thrilled :D

It was a bold step to put all of their development efforts into a complete overhaul and I think it was well worth it. I spent less than 10 minutes and I think my site looks amazing. Imagine if I spent another hour on it?

I'm elated. It's just amazing wings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Sure, the new smugmug looks great, and I could have a sleek smugmug site that will soon looks like a billion other sleek smugmug sites. You know exactly what I am complaining about, it is the lose of the advanced customizations we had before. We all dont want to look like moonriverphotography you know.

Your site doesn't have to look like Moonriver Photography. You can start with any one of the existing themes and customize it. Don't like it? Build your own theme from scratch.

If I can do it, I'm reasonably sure you can too.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Actually, I didn't jump ship but I wish I did and saved my $250. This New Smugmug solved only 5% of my issues with Smugmug. 95% still unsolved and it seems like it will stay like that.

I should have not better than expect that a company that is worry about what Flicker does or not, that sees them as their competition would really take event photographers needs seriously.

I am glad that those who were looking for an easier way of doing a website got their wish, but that was my 100 in the list of 100 wish list. The other 99 are left hanging.

What would make you happy? Seriously.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013

You can still use CSS.

Also, there are more than a dozen themes which you can further customize to your hearts content.

http://news.smugmug.com/ deal.gif

"Changing the layout, color and content of any page no longer requires hacky gunk like CSS and Javascript. Just drag and drop content blocks right where you want them: in the header, footer, across all your pages or into just one gallery. It’s so easy and so much more powerful than before. FYI: Advanced Customization via HTML and CSS is still there for those of you who love it, but it’s really, truly optional now."
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Thanks smugmug for the new features. Great work.
    My site is renew just written a few steps.
    http://jchmportafolio.infoinnova.net

What I miss is to put put some javascript for customizations. I hope that feature remains in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk 4
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Your site doesn't have to look like Moonriver Photography. You can start with any one of the existing themes and customize it. Don't like it? Build your own theme from scratch.

If I can do it, I'm reasonably sure you can too.

So how do I enter javascript for a custom slideshow? How about site-wide html and javascript? The possibilities of site customization was endless on the old advanced customization. You know what I am complaining about, the fact that we lost functionality.

There is no reason why they had to do away with advanced customization options, while keeping the current new design changes. I would love to hear the reasoning behind it?
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    On the new sites I see from other people who say they've migrated / unveiled, their homepage slideshow is a far cry from what it once was. (Smaller, & their customized transitions not in place anymore). Is this changeable? I don't understand why it wasn't simply built-in... everyone's saying they had to un-intuitively figure out ways to configure their slideshow at all. They don't "wow" me like they did.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    So how do I enter javascript for a custom slideshow? How about site-wide html and javascript? The possibilities of site customization was endless on the old advanced customization. You know what I am complaining about, the fact that we lost functionality.

There is no reason why they had to do away with advanced customization options, while keeping the current new design changes. I would love to hear the reasoning behind it?
    Supposedly Javascript will not even be allowed at all anymore. Only HTML & CSS. I don't even wanna think about all those things I did with Javascript, most of which I already know aren't available with any "touches" of any "buttons", and probably not at all.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Supposedly Javascript will not even be allowed at all anymore. Only HTML & CSS. I don't even wanna think about all those things I did with Javascript, most of which I already know aren't available with any "touches" of any "buttons", and probably not at all.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, sorry. They called javascript "gunk", whoever said that must not know anything about web design! But hey, they have this shinny new look you should love, without all that gunky icky stuff rolleyes1.gif
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    On the new sites I see from other people who say they've migrated / unveiled, their homepage slideshow is a far cry from what it once was. (Smaller, & their customized transitions not in place anymore). Is this changeable? I don't understand why it wasn't simply built-in... everyone's saying they had to un-intuitively figure out ways to configure their slideshow at all. They don't "wow" me like they did.

There'll be more slideshow options, I'm sure. Anna Lisa, you over-think so many things I don't know how you get through each day :D (SAID WITH LOVE!).

Just go play with new designs, find one you like with a big gorgeous image on your homepage, feature some galleries, and be done with it. Your site as=is now, on SM is like from 1995. Move up to the 2013 and get 'er done in a matter of a few days. Enjoy life, don't worry, be happy.
  • Options
    GargaGarga Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Completely agree.
    How about site-wide html and javascript? The possibilities of site customization was endless on the old advanced customization. You know what I am complaining about, the fact that we lost functionality.

'Dreamweaver in a browser' might of been fine for 2007, but not today. It would even send people running with that option available.

They've finally moved on and that's the way it should be.
    I for one, couldn't be happier!! clap.gifbow
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I just lost the breadcrumb when adding a nav. It's hidden somewhere and can't find it.

BTW, I can't find anywhere that I can add a menu/nav on all pages. It has 3 separate choices and not a choice for all of them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I just lost the breadcrumb when adding a nav. It's hidden somewhere and can't find it.

BTW, I can't find anywhere that I can add a menu/nav on all pages. It has 3 separate choices and not a choice for all of them.

Hi Allen

For your breadcrumb: open the customize mode, then hover over your breadcrumb so that the tools pop up. Click the wrench so that the settings open for you. You can then choose how much of the items in the breadcrumb are revealed, as well as the weight of the text.

When you are adding content blocks and want that content (nav bar) on all pages then you need to make sure that you have "entire site" highlighted. That puts the content you are adding onto every page, current and future, on your site.
  • Options
    Hog LegHog Leg Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Rounding up Your Stuff"
    I hit the preview site. I have a message up" Rounding up Your Stuff" its been running for over an hour. Is this normal?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Hog Leg wrote: »
    I hit the preview site. I have a message up" Rounding up Your Stuff" its been running for over an hour. Is this normal?

Try closing the browser, clearing browser data, then re-opening the browser. Worked for me.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Been banging away on the new platform for a couple of hours now...both in preview and "unveil" mode...and I. Love. It.

I've got two site designs I can switch between, with a couple of custom themes that are available to both of them. In one click I dragged and dropped 300+ photos to a gallery...thereby allowing me to remove some duplicates. I have yet to miss CSS/HTML site-wide customization...and as someone who is anal-retentive about little things, this is huge.

Forcing myself to step away from the site now...
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 30, 2013
    Hey Guys,

We have a huge backlog of migrations, they are still processing..you'll get an email once your site has been migrated.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos