Options

SmugMug Update From Baldy

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited April 1, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hey everyone,

In my 11 years at SmugMug, I don’t remember a time when there was such a gap between the excitement our employees feel and the concern many of you feel. For this I blame....Baldy.

Honestly, I felt the best thing I could do for everyone was to ship, and make it great. So I immersed myself in hiring, investing in systems, product design, etc. I would occasionally respond to interview requests, like with Fredrick Van and open up as much as I could. But I didn’t really say in one easy-to-find place on dgrin what Don and I had said elsewhere.

And poor Michael Bonocore... He’s a great guy, widely loved and a long-term customer, but we didn’t let him talk about future product releases. Our fault, not his. But credit to him for getting me to post this. That is, if you find it helpful, credit him. If you find it to be corporate blah blah, blame me (and spread a little blame to our lawyers, please, who don’t approve of this message).

In 2011, we showed some markups of "SmugMug's New Design." The post was a big hit and got many customers excited to upgrade. Now in early 2013, many people are wondering where it is.

The feedback we took away from the thread and customers we spoke to was we need more than a pretty face. What about customization (a huge topic), and more powerful, easier organization?

If we were just a template-driven site, we could have been live long ago. But we made the decision many years ago to allow very deep customization, something not many sites do. And the customization capabilities that so many of our customers want makes this a very big challenge, not something we could do by placing a pretty skin over our existing software.

So we made the boldest decision in our 11 years, to pause incremental development (except for back-end infrastructure to give us more uptime and speed) while we focused on a far more ambitious release than we had envisioned when we posted that thread.

It’s so very painful for both you and us to not be releasing incremental improvements, because we know it makes it look to the outside world like nothing is happening. The good and somewhat unfair news is we get to see it every day and get so excited we keep burning the midnight oil. The demos we’ve been able to do under NDA have been key to building an amazing team of designers and engineers, who are buzzing (some of them customers, like Michael).

But... Why don’t you give us a date?! Surely you have one.

We wrestled with this. We have sometimes had success announcing dates in years past, hitting them, and holding a launch party.

We chose not to with this release for several reasons. The primary one is as we take some people and companies under NDA (a few of them here on dgrin) and get them involved in the development, they sometimes have important insight that changes our roadmap. They really value the fact that we would take the time to incorporate their needs. We always ask, “Is this critical for the release or can we do it sometime later?” And when the answer is it’s critical enough to delay, we try to take that seriously.

I know some of you have worked at companies like I perceive Adobe to be where they adhere to a date and ship an update to Photoshop every year or two. And some have worked for companies like Apple (I used to work for Steve Jobs at NeXT) where they have an ambitious goal and sometimes sacrifice the date for the goal. That’s where we are on this project. We missed an internal date, which was hard, but decided the most important thing in this case was to achieve the product goals that evolved into what they are now.

Can you share some screenshots?

Oh how we’d love to. The legal and competitive costs of doing so are just too high, as we learned the multi-million dollar way. For example, some companies constantly patent what they expect us to develop, in hopes that they can beat us to the patent office and then to court. We wish that didn't have such enormous repercussions on our roadmap and costs. But we’ve spent millions on patent lawsuits, money that could have been spent on product development. We understand now why companies like Apple, Amazon, and Google have to operate the same way.

How do you justify raising prices before releasing an updated product that has been promised for a while?

That was my idea and I don’t think an hour has gone by when I haven’t thought of it. My guess is Reed Hastings, the founder of Netflix, did the same after their price change, which must have been devastating for them to read about in the media. I’m inspired by the success they achieved in the year that followed, but you can bet I know exactly what will happen to your loyalty if we don’t turn our price raise into the improved product we’ve alluded to. I’m just grateful you’ve given us this chance. But I’m also very confident that we’re building the product we could not have built without either raising prices, raising venture capital, or losing our independence.

I call a customer a day and if you want to be one of those, send me a PM and I should be able to get some of you on the list. Otherwise, as I tell everyone who invites me to anything, I’m on lockdown 24x7 working on product.

All the best,
Baldy

Comments

• Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Thank you.
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    I appreciate your hard work, Baldy!
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Thank you for this update, Baldy. It's been hard to be in the dark so long after so much initial excitement regarding all the great possibilities we all discussed together in the initial thread. I know quite a few, myself included, have been mystified as to what happened? Though as a software developer and IT professional I could tell from the get go that this was bigger than any facelift. Thus the effort was quite significant, especially if doing a re-architecture, which it really sounded like to me. Someone mentioned that it may be easier to simply start from scratch rather trying to renovate the existing design. But either way I'm sure its been and continues to be a lot of work. Not being able to discuss the plans, goals or details with some of your long time customers I'm sure is not easy on your part either. Hopefully this means there is light at the end of the tunnel for us who continue to wait. Even if you can't give us a date we know you are working on it still and that is important to me.

Thank you for communicating this status to us even if the lawyers are uncomfortable with it. Its very unfortunate that lawsuits have to play a part in all of this. But I guess that's the nature of the beast once you get to this level as a tech company.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Hi Baldy

I also appreciate your communication and empathize with the minefields that SM have to go through to get to your end result.

I have to admit, that I am even more intrigued now to see what is happening.

I think a lot of frustration would be averted, if you could give some sort of time-frame (I understand your concerns about this as well). The time-frame could even be to the nearest six months. I believe that many would feel assured if you were to do this.

My renewal is due within the next couple of weeks and before this post, I was uncertain as to what to do, but I Will most definitely renew as a result of this post.

Kind regards
    Clive
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Hi Baldy

My renewal is due within the next couple of weeks and before this post, I was uncertain as to what to do, but I Will most definitely renew as a result of this post.

Kind regards
    Clive

Clive,

That makes Baldy, myself, and the rest of us here at SmugMug very happy to hear. Believe me, it is hard to be in my position, saying no no no. It does not fit my personality at all, but we have a very clear vision, and personally, behind all of the no's, I am incredibly excited for the future and ecstatic to be a part of this team.

Michael
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Thank you, this helps.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited April 5, 2013
    Thank you Baldy! Even without dates or a list of features it helps to hear the excitement in your words. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes (whenever they emerge).

--- Denise
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    ... Believe me, it is hard to be in my position, saying no no no. It does not fit my personality at all, but we have a very clear vision, and personally, behind all of the no's, I am incredibly excited for the future and ecstatic to be a part of this team.

Michael

Michael, "Baldy" - Despite my criticism of some of the aspects of the current system I know what it is to design a product (on technical and business level). As someone mentioned - it was pretty obvious that you are going a way beyond a simple facelift. There were nor there are any expectation on my account for you to complete this task tomorrow:) Nevertheless - I am paying and renewing two business accounts with you. My criticism and sarcasm (sometimes) comes from a different perspective. You are not a small company and do not operate out of a garage. A company of your caliber should be able to maintain two teams - one primary that works on a new product/deliverable. Another, secondary, that is not only maintaining the old (current) system but ACTUALLY fixing things as they come based on the severity of an issue. Instead, you have a damage control strategy (Michael and Heroes) who can only .. well... talk to customers. And it is not an easy position as Michael admits. Which is totally understandable. And before you assure me that I am wrong and there is a team that handles the legacy system modifications - please, search on the issues I have pointed to before. Just a Facebook bug is severe enough to address it immediately. In fact, I personally would considered any issues that are broken and that are, at the same time, directly and clearly advertised being a candidates for an immediate rework. But that is just me... too afraid of liability issues:)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Baldy,

Thanks for your heart felt and informative post.

Now a few thoughts of my own for those who live far away and haven't had the opportunity to see SmugMug in person or meet the owners or crew:

While I don't know Baldy, one thumb and the family in any great depth, I have been a SmugMug customer for awhile now, live close to and have visited their headquarters in Mountain View CA.

I have been impressed, struck, and pleased to find them to be an honest straight forward group of folks driven by their internal belief and value system. They are NOT greedy, how do we make a fast buck, kinda people.

They seem to have real knack in finding and hiring high quality employees who are not only technically savvy but also posses great attitudes and customer service skills.

They ain't perfect, but they really do try very hard.

NO, I do not get anything out of this post except the satisfaction of sharing my thoughts with all of you.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Baldy,

Thanks for your heart felt and informative post.

Now a few thoughts of my own for those who live far away and haven't had the opportunity to see SmugMug in person or meet the owners or crew:

While I don't know Baldy, one thumb and the family in any great depth, I have been a SmugMug customer for awhile now, live close to and have visited their headquarters in Mountain View CA.

I have been impressed, struck, and pleased to find them to be an honest straight forward group of folks driven by their internal belief and value system. They are NOT greedy, how do we make a fast buck, kinda people.

They seem to have real knack in finding and hiring high quality employees who are not only technically savvy but also posses great attitudes and customer service skills.

They ain't perfect, but they really do try very hard.

NO, I do not get anything out of this post except the satisfaction of sharing my thoughts with all of you.

Sam

Thank you for the kind words and support Sam. I hope to meet you someday!

Michael
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Michael, "Baldy" - Despite my criticism of some of the aspects of the current system I know what it is to design a product (on technical and business level). As someone mentioned - it was pretty obvious that you are going a way beyond a simple facelift. There were nor there are any expectation on my account for you to complete this task tomorrow:) Nevertheless - I am paying and renewing two business accounts with you. My criticism and sarcasm (sometimes) comes from a different perspective. You are not a small company and do not operate out of a garage. A company of your caliber should be able to maintain two teams - one primary that works on a new product/deliverable. Another, secondary, that is not only maintaining the old (current) system but ACTUALLY fixing things as they come based on the severity of an issue. Instead, you have a damage control strategy (Michael and Heroes) who can only .. well... talk to customers. And it is not an easy position as Michael admits. Which is totally understandable. And before you assure me that I am wrong and there is a team that handles the legacy system modifications - please, search on the issues I have pointed to before. Just a Facebook bug is severe enough to address it immediately. In fact, I personally would considered any issues that are broken and that are, at the same time, directly and clearly advertised being a candidates for an immediate rework. But that is just me... too afraid of liability issues:)

Hi Michael,

I do understand your point of view. In these few short months I have been here, we have interacted alot, and I see your pain points. Believe me, I do. But Baldy, me, and the rest of SmugMug have vision, and, as Baldy says, burning the midnight oil to see our vision come alive, for you, our customers. Sometimes, unfortunately, that does mean having to put off some issues, even if our customers see them as important.

I do apologize, but thank you for your understanding and I hope to work with you here on dgrin for years to come! :D

Michael
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Thank you for the update Baldy. As others have mentioned, the price increase was a bit of a strain. However, I would not find myself anywhere else other than here. Your company and services are for me hand above anything else today in the market. A big part of that for me is how responsive you are when I have a problem and where your passion as a company is, IN PHOTOGRAPHY! :)

I've been able to read in between the lines on here and other sites as to what the real causes of the price increase are (cough cough patent trolls of a nameless media company) and that really just about kills me.

I'm anxiously awaiting what you are working up!
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    Why isn't this a sticky post??
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
  • Options
    Hog LegHog Leg Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    Was that E.F Hutton?
    Some of you are too young to understand the "E.F. Hutton" but I'm sure listening! clap.gifFYI Baldy, A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns. And to Quote George Burns "And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan'.:D
  • Options
    JagoJago Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2013
    Hey folks,

I'm new to all this, but I thought I would share the fact it was AFTER the price hikes, and more importantly, after listening to the interview with Frederick Van that I decided that Smugmug was the service I wanted to use, mostly because I appreciated the candid way that you communicate with your customers, as you have in this post. You lose some, you win some.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the future brings for Smugmug, and in the meantime I shall return to smacking my head against the wall of my own incompetence at customisation.
  • Options
    ghyslainbghyslainb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2013
    Thank you for the update - great post to keep SM user informed (as much as possible)!

Looking forward to the update!

-g
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    You had me at
    Baldy wrote: »
    ...our lawyers...who don’t approve of this message...
    iloveyou.giflust

Thank you for being frank and open with this insight. It's because of this open and frank candor that you earned my business in the first place in 2005, and I'm really glad to see it's still alive and well. wings.gifivarclap.gifthumb
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Hello Baldy,
    Thank you so much for your post. I've been frustrated by the long wait like may others but at the end of the day there really is nowhere that comes close to Smugmug. I hope that Michael will become a much more active and responsive member of the team when you are able to launch the new Smugmug, it must be so frustrating for him.

Hoping the wait isn't too long, best wishes to all those working hard behind the scenes:)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013

James,

This will be a sticky post, but I wanted to keep it as unsticky, so it can easily be viewed and "bumped" to the top when someone comments on it.

I will probably make it sticky on Monday.

Thanks!

Michael
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    Hello Baldy,
    Thank you so much for your post. I've been frustrated by the long wait like may others but at the end of the day there really is nowhere that comes close to Smugmug. I hope that Michael will become a much more active and responsive member of the team when you are able to launch the new Smugmug, it must be so frustrating for him.

Hoping the wait isn't too long, best wishes to all those working hard behind the scenes:)

Caroline

Frustration is my middle name! :ivar

It is actually not bad at all. Years ago, I used to manage (and decide to pay/not pay) health insurance claims to psychiatrists. Believe me, you don't want to mess with a psychiatrist who hasn't been paid on a claim in over 6 months. They were BRUTAL...and they obviously were very well trained in getting into your head. But I was there 3 years, until I moved into the software sector. Everything after that job is a cake walk.:D

Michael
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 6, 2013

Sure thing and thanks for the suggestion!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    James,

This will be a sticky post, but I wanted to keep it as unsticky, so it can easily be viewed and "bumped" to the top when someone comments on it.

I will probably make it sticky on Monday.

Thanks!

Michael

ahh! ok, Got ya! ;-)
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    ~ Jared Platt
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 6, 2013
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    ...Though as a software developer and IT professional I could tell from the get go that this was bigger than any facelift. Thus the effort was quite significant, especially if doing a re-architecture, which it really sounded like to me. Someone mentioned that it may be easier to simply start from scratch rather trying to renovate the existing design.
    Thank you, Derek. It turns out we have a lot of software developers as customers and like you, they could see that to make it really good it had to be essentially a re-write.

I've hesitated to use that term because we've done many back-end architectural changes to scale our systems that we aren't touching, such as the switch to Amazon CloudSearch to power searches. It gave us a lot more search speed and the ability to search on more attributes, plus it gave us more search uptime.

But the look, the interaction, the way you customize and organize, how many tiers deep you go, we would have been crazy not to re-think all that based on what we learned and the multi-window world we live in.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2013
    I appreciate the update and the hard work you guys are putting in, but I'm still on the fence about renewing. Got a couple of months to go still, but I need something a bit more solid. I look at the improvements made over the last year and I remain concerned by the lack of progress shown. Will we (as customers) be in the same position in 12 months time? Hoping for pleasant surprises soon :)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I appreciate the update and the hard work you guys are putting in, but I'm still on the fence about renewing. Got a couple of months to go still, but I need something a bit more solid. I look at the improvements made over the last year and I remain concerned by the lack of progress shown. Will we (as customers) be in the same position in 12 months time? Hoping for pleasant surprises soon :)

Thank you Paul. We are glad you have found Baldy's update helpful!

Michael
  • Options
    seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2013
    Forward to the future
    This is great news. With technology moving so fast, it's reassuring to hear that one of my favorite companies is doing the right thing by taking a step back in order to get a larger, firmer grip on the moving target. I've met Baldy in Seattle a while back and that's all the reassurance I needed hearing him speak about what photography means to him. SM will leapfrog their competitors and continue to pioneer this space, mark my words. Sean Hoyt - www.affinityseattle.com
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    This is great news. With technology moving so fast, it's reassuring to hear that one of my favorite companies is doing the right thing by taking a step back in order to get a larger, firmer grip on the moving target. I've met Baldy in Seattle a while back and that's all the reassurance I needed hearing him speak about what photography means to him. SM will leapfrog their competitors and continue to pioneer this space, mark my words. Sean Hoyt - www.affinityseattle.com

Thanks for the kind words Sean! And you are correct. I thought I was passionate about photography, but I don't hold a candle to Baldy's obsession.

Michael
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    Helpful, yes, though I would have hung in anyway. Makeover on my site badly needed--I used a previously favored developer for the original customization who later peed in his own (smuggy) rice bowl. Afraid to waste money paying anyone to do so, though mine is a simple site. I think they call that "limbo".

Lynne
    account since 5/04
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 10, 2013
    lynnesite wrote: »
    Helpful, yes, though I would have hung in anyway. Makeover on my site badly needed--I used a previously favored developer for the original customization who later peed in his own (smuggy) rice bowl. Afraid to waste money paying anyone to do so, though mine is a simple site. I think they call that "limbo".

Lynne
    account since 5/04

Shameless plug for New Skin Media.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    lynnesite wrote: »

Lynne
    account since 5/04

Thank you for hanging in there. We know limbo isn't fun, and waiting is the hardest thing to do, so we appreciate your confidence.

Michael