Options

Photo Assignment for the Week: 4/23 - 4/30 *REVISED*

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 30, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's your photo assignment for this week: Hats.

• As always, photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
  • Any hat is fair game. The hat should be the primary focal point of the image.
For extra credit, use your submissions for Cletus' weekly Digital Darkroom Assignment.

Have at it.

JJ.fedora.JPEG

Edit: assignment changed from "People with hats" to just plain "hats" to accomodate people who don't like shooting people.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's your photo assignment for this week: People with hats.

• As always, photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
    • Kids, teens, seniors...anybody wearing a hat is fair game. The hat should be the primary focal point of the image.
    For extra credit, use your submissions for Cletus' weekly Digital Darkroom Assignment.

Have at it.

JJ.fedora.JPEG
    Are we supposed to believe that you captured this fellow's image just above today? What rock do you think we just crawled out from under, Fish?Laughing.gifLaughing.gif Great picture, tho......lickout.gif Nobody loves a smart a.... right?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dizavedizave Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    I tried to take a pic of someone with a hat today, and got a lecture about the difference between hats and caps. And no picture. My only other potential model rides a Rockster 80 and hates me. I'm guessing I'm sitting this one out.

At least I have an extra week to work on contrast.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Are we supposed to believe that you captured this fellow's image just above today? What rock do you think we just crawled out from under, Fish?Laughing.gifLaughing.gif Great picture, tho......lickout.gif Nobody loves a smart a.... right?
    ugh. no, i didn't snap a 60 year old photo today. i just thought it would be fun to include an old pic of a fedora.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    dizave wrote:
    I tried to take a pic of someone with a hat today, and got a lecture about the difference between hats and caps. And no picture. My only other potential model rides a Rockster 80 and hates me. I'm guessing I'm sitting this one out.

You may be unclear on the concept, dizave. It's not about finding models and staging them. It's about grabbing your camera and going outside to get candids of people you don't know wearing hats.

As far as definition is concerned for this assignment, caps are included.

A covering for the head; esp., one with a crown and brim, made of various materials, and worn by men or women for protecting the head from the sun or weather, or for ornament.

I didn't take this one either:
    pimphat2.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 23, 2004
    dizave wrote:
    My only other potential model rides a Rockster 80 and hates me.
    Hmmm, wonder who that could be...???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    dizave wrote:

Get a hat and a mirror (or other reflective surface like a lake or a window or a well waxed bike or....) and be your own model.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    I just changed the assignment to "Hats". You don't need people, models, or anything other than a hat and a camera. Quit whining, dizave.
  • Options
    RachelBruneRachelBrune Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Ha! At least you weren't followed around for three hours by some weird lady claiming to know you and wanting you to take her picture and stick it in the paper so that her boyfriend would know she was where she was supposed to be!!
    ...oh yeah... hats... Sorry, I'll start looking. :-)
    Laughing.gif
    -Rachel

dizave wrote:

• Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    Ha! At least you weren't followed around for three hours by some weird lady claiming to know you and wanting you to take her picture and stick it in the paper so that her boyfriend would know she was where she was supposed to be!!
    ...oh yeah... hats... Sorry, I'll start looking. :-)
    Laughing.gif
    -Rachel

lol3.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Meeting Of the Minds.
    From left to right:
    The Service Manager, The Owners Husband, The Owner.

meetingoftheminds.jpg

Took this an hour after the assignment was made and just now getting it posted. But no one else has posted anything yet :(. Not a great shot but at least it gives the look that "serious work" gets done there.

hmmmm.jpg

Trying to find the right crop

thebrains.jpg
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    Took this an hour after the assignment was made and just now getting it posted. But no one else has posted anything yet :(. Not a great shot but at least it gives the look that "serious work" gets done there.

hmmmm.jpg
    You're first! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Hats?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    hats??headscratch.gif

that's shouldn't be too hard here in ole Virginny :D find a seed store or a church on Sunday.
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    I took this a few minutes ago, after this shot my camera focusing circut failed. I guess I can't complain, it's lived a very rough life and taken thousands of pics.

3689529-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    3689585-O-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    3689589-O.jpg
  • Options
    dizavedizave Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I just changed the assignment to "Hats". You don't need people, models, or anything other than a hat and a camera. Quit whining, dizave.
    Hey! I had just figured out who I was going to shoot. Plus, who doesn't like shooting people?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hats?
    Pink hats for you, waxy.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Goofing and finally serious
    Ok... Hats.... So I let my imagination run away... none of these are good shots but they are 'interesting'. The last one is kind of serious in intent even if the execution is not outstanding.

As usual click for the bigger unprocessed image.

ISO Speed: 400
    Aperture: f2.8
    Shutter: 1/30
    Focal Length (mm): 17

Taking the idea for a spin....
    hat3876_s.JPG

Aperture: f3.5
    Shutter: 1/45
    Focal Length (mm): 35

Getting a glimmer of an idea....
    hat3877_s.JPG

Aperture: f2.0
    Shutter: 1/45
    Focal Length (mm): 50

Uncluttering the idea...
    hat3888_s.JPG

Aperture: f1.8
    Shutter: 1/10
    Focal Length (mm): 50

Last worn at a funeral.
    hat3894_s.JPG
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    I missed a perfect opportunity yesterday. Driving to pick fishwife up from downtown, and I'm sitting at a light. I glance to the right and just about to cross the street in front of me is an elderly gentlement wearing clothes from another era and a beautiful straw hat. Camera was not at the ready and I missed it. :(
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Guess the score
    Took this last Saturday so I suppose Im cheating!!

3697669-L.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    I think they're getting fed up with me
    3698033-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I missed a perfect opportunity yesterday. Driving to pick fishwife up from downtown, and I'm sitting at a light. I glance to the right and just about to cross the street in front of me is an elderly gentlement wearing clothes from another era and a beautiful straw hat. Camera was not at the ready and I missed it. :(
    That was how I felt when I grabbed this one in Cannes. (too long ago for the assignment)

cannes02oct817_sc.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wkworkwkwork Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Took this one today in a little mexican restaurant with some of the best lighting I've ever seen:

3702153-L.jpg

Here's another shot in the place to show off the lighting:

3702150-L.jpg
    Keith Work
    A Texan back home again!
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    hats
    Raining outside today--- but found this indoors3705255-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here's a shot that I took today. I was hanging around the Sussex County day of history, and saw a couple of guys I had photographed before, only now they were out in better lighting with all their gear. Please bear with me, I can only download one at a time.
    -R
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    And here's another one. This guy was just catching a few Z's. Looks like hats are pretty useful.
    -R
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    And last but not least, here's another photo of a re-enactor with the 15th NJ Infantry, which was an actual, historical unit during the Civil War.
    As for missed photos, I am still kicking myself because I was over at the tractors when they fired their rifles. I headed back to see if they would do it again, but didn't make it in time to get in position, and I have this deep, ingrained fear of stepping out in a firing range, even if all they are shooting are blanks.
    Enjoy,
    -R
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    OK....I was able to catch the next door neighbor with this on. I think It should qualify as a hat, well at least a head cover.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Hmmm, that might be a cap, not a hat, Sam. lol3.gif

Here's today's cap or hat #1.

3706441-M.jpg

And #2.

3706526-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au