3623766-L.jpg

A couple weeks old, sorry...

A Man on His Way Home...

3270017-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    OK....I was able to catch the next door neighbor with this on. I think It should qualify as a hat, well at least a head cover.
    Thats nice Sam.. did you gaussian blur that a bit??
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    may as well use my model... she would'nt mind...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thats nice Sam.. did you gaussian blur that a bit??
    I just got my new 28-135mm IS lens and I had to try it out a little. Yes I used a small amount of gaussian blur. Portraits are hard....I need to work on people a little more. She was a good model. Pretty, nice smile, would look right at the camera. This was a quickie, hand held in the back yard. She had just come out of the shower. Phoro is better in full resolution. Looks like your nude, partially nude, project is comming along.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I just got my new 28-135mm IS lens and I had to try it out a little. Yes I used a small amount of gaussian blur. Portraits are hard....I need to work on people a little more. She was a good model. Pretty, nice smile, would look right at the camera. This was a quickie, hand held in the back yard. She had just come out of the shower. Phoro is better in full resolution. Looks like your nude, partially nude, project is comming along.
    Its soooo much work!!! and I'm so critical of myself I hate most of it, bad light, bad composition etc.. the models are great, very brave..
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    may as well use my model... she would'nt mind...
    Lynn,

Here is my thought on this photo........not that I know anything about the subject. :D But I would like to see this warmed up some, with perhaps a little less light, (a little darker), maybe slight amount of contrast. Maybe try the sun comming from the left or right. Hey....just a thought. Peoples is hard. :D
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Its soooo much work!!! and I'm so critical of myself I hate most of it, bad light, bad composition etc.. the models are great, very brave..
    Lynn,

Not bad! And it's ok to be critical, but put it in perspective. It's not bad. Bad is when the person is 1 inch tall in a 8 X 10, and out of focus. lol I don't think the composition is bad. Your just looking for a great background, and or props that you don't have........Keep trying....maybe do an exposure bracket, and try RAW. Others here can give you MUCH better ideas then I can but I give them anyway. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Pink hats for you, waxy.

wxwax wrote:
    Hmmm, that might be a cap, not a hat, Sam. lol3.gif

Here's today's cap or hat #1.

3716807-M.jpg

Fixed. rolleyes1.gifumph.gif

That is a sweet chess set. I need one in my driveway.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    My first submission
    ha! you guys thought this was going to be easy...

Two kids riding pocket bikes with matching "hats"

3717962-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Lynn,

Not bad! And it's ok to be critical, but put it in perspective. It's not bad. Bad is when the person is 1 inch tall in a 8 X 10, and out of focus. lol I don't think the composition is bad. Your just looking for a great background, and or props that you don't have........Keep trying....maybe do an exposure bracket, and try RAW. Others here can give you MUCH better ideas then I can but I give them anyway. ne_nau.gif
    I always use raw (need it to save me) and I agree it needs bumping up a bit in warmth and contrast.. I'll try... The complete photo has more props in it, now I've started taking background shots where ever I go so I always have high res stuff.rolleyes1.gif
    I've been thinkin... I'm afraid to photoshop too much now because of my trip to the printer who said "go easy on the blur and photoshop"...
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    revised...too much??
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    I've got your hats right here, nice red hats. Taken 1/2 hour ago at the town park. Ladies with attitude, style and grace.

3720730-L.jpg

3720719-L.jpg

3720720-L.jpg

3720725-L.jpg

3720729-L.jpg

3720727-L.jpg

3720722-L.jpg

The Red Hat Ladies Society "We're over 50 and we can wear red and purple and no person is going to say a thing about it."
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Oh DD...that's perfect! I saw an article about one of those Red Hat Society meetings here, but they said that you have to wear pink until you turn 50. What a great opportunity!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    ha! you guys thought this was going to be easy...

Two kids riding pocket bikes with matching "hats"

Cheat!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Oh DD...that's perfect! I saw an article about one of those Red Hat Society meetings here, but they said that you have to wear pink until you turn 50. What a great opportunity!
    Yeah, and I almost blew it. Had to go to the lumber store to get some building stuff and didn't take the camera. I had the thing in my hand and left it on the kitchen table. Coming back through town I spotted them in the park. Raced the 2 miles home, grabbed the camera and blitzed back to the park. Almost missed them as they were getting in their cars when I arrived. I asked if they would let me shoot a few quick ones and they obliged. Great group and I'm going to print a few copies for their scrapbook as thanks. Something about going to the lumber store on Sunday and getting different shots. You may remember that last time I did that, the KKK was in town having a recruiting rally. These Red Hat Ladies would've sent them packing if given the chance.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Always rely on ramblers for a selection of hats
    3720766-M.jpg

3720767-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    3720044-M.jpg

3720767-M.jpg
    Oh for goodness sake Gubbs, what great memories you bring back with these Ramblers.. I walked from near Harrogate to Lake Windamere not so far back, forgotton the name of the walk now.. I gained 5 lbs eating cream teas on the way!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RachelBruneRachelBrune Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Tell the printer where he can stick it. You're the photographer. At the very least, if you have a fondness for a certain style, you might as well get it out of your system.
    Sheesh.
    -Rachel
    lynnma wrote:

I've been thinkin... I'm afraid to photoshop too much now because of my trip to the printer who said "go easy on the blur and photoshop"...
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cheat!
    How did I cheat?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Tell the printer where he can stick it. You're the photographer. At the very least, if you have a fondness for a certain style, you might as well get it out of your system.
    Sheesh.
    -Rachel
    Yeah.... I'm gonna tell him... thats right.. I AM the photographer....

sheesh...:whip
  • Options
    turkishturkish Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here's a hat:

3726853-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Sheesh.
    -Rachel
    I think the printer was trying to help. It's real easy to over do PS. The photo might look one way on her monitor, an other when she prints it, and still different when profesionally printed.

I think the best bet would be, to do the best you can do, then have them print a few. Then compare the prints with your expectations. You may have to adjust your photos a little to maximise the printed results.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    3729335-L.jpg

ne_nau.gifyeah...i was pretty much skunked today.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    turkish wrote:
    Here's a hat:

3726853-M.jpg
    Nice one. What's the scoop on it? Looks like some sort of contest?
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    ok. I'm interested in how a photo nOOb ( me) does with "hats". it WAS a learning experience. :D and again I screwed up and had a date stamp enabled. so I had to cut and crop. :whip

all were taken today 4/25/04

3731111-S.jpg

3731112-S.jpg

3731115-S.jpg

3731116-S.jpg

3731117-S.jpg

3731118-S.jpg

3731123-S.jpg

3731121-S.jpg

3731120-S.jpg

3731124-S.jpg

and this is my favorite...........................

3731122-S.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    My entry into this weels Assignment...
    LuC's shadow.
    22 April 2004 2:30
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    turkishturkish Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Nice one. What's the scoop on it? Looks like some sort of contest?
    It was taken at the Union St. Easter parade in San Francisco.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    I like it Ginette. Cool subject in foreground/subject over there effect.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Buddy wrote:
    ok. I'm interested in how a photo nOOb ( me) does with "hats". it WAS a learning experience. :D and again I screwed up and had a date stamp enabled. so I had to cut and crop. :whip

all were taken today 4/25/04

and this is my favorite...........................
    Damn, freak. You have some fine shots there. I am totally outmatched on this assignment.

These two are the money shots:

3731124-L.jpg

3731122-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here is another hat view for Sunday.....

3740237-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin