Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    As of Noon 3/31/09 - Tallyn's has one more 5D Mk2 available for immediate purchase. Call 'em ask for Ted or Ryan.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    As of Noon 3/31/09 - Tallyn's has one more 5D Mk2 available for immediate purchase. Call 'em ask for Ted or Ryan.
    They must be just trickling in there. I bought mine from them just a couple of days ago and it was the last one they had then.

What you guys have said about the service from Tallyns is true. They shipped mine instantaneously, and boxed to perfection. They even threw a little unexpected gift in the box. thumb.gif (course it was kind of a big order...)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Ok thinking of getting the BG-E6 battery grip for my 5dmII. but I have a few questions first is there a tripod mount on the bottom of the grip and next should I get a hand strap and if so what kind. and how does the hand strap hook to the grip?

And I gave up on canon putting out a battery any time soon (man that sucks) so I ordered two Ebay battery's for 40$
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Ok thinking of getting the BG-E6 battery grip for my 5dmII. but I have a few questions first is there a tripod mount on the bottom of the grip and next should I get a hand strap and if so what kind. and how does the hand strap hook to the grip?

And I gave up on canon putting out a battery any time soon (man that sucks) so I ordered two Ebay battery's for 40$
    I have the battery grip and I like it a lot. It does have a tripod mount.

I also have a Camdapter hand strap (see Andy's review). I love the hand strap. I had one on my 5D I as well. The battery grip has a strap hook on the bottom, perfect for the hand strap (you won't need the plate that Andy talks about in the review).

The one issue with this setup though is that there's no room for a neck strap - (the grip only has one strap hook). If you want a neck strap, you can check out the BlackRapid straps. I'm sure there are other ways to add a neck strap.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:

Brian,
    I do use the grips on both 50D and 5D2, but no handstrap.
    One of the primary advantages of the grip is a convenient portrait holding. The handstrap will ruin that advantage completely, thus leaving the only gain: double battery. Considering the fact that the new batteries are much improved and can easily last 500+ frames or more, I don't think it would justify having an extra weight.
    Just IMHO...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    mike_k wrote:
    I have the battery grip and I like it a lot. It does have a tripod mount.

I also have a Camdapter hand strap (see Andy's review). I love the hand strap. I had one on my 5D I as well. The battery grip has a strap hook on the bottom, perfect for the hand strap (you won't need the plate that Andy talks about in the review).

The one issue with this setup though is that there's no room for a neck strap - (the grip only has one strap hook). If you want a neck strap, you can check out the BlackRapid straps. I'm sure there are other ways to add a neck strap.

I have a Camdapter strap on ALL my Canon bodies thumb.gif

DO GET the adapter plate. It has a slot on the left side for the neck strap to attach, and if you get one that is machined as a quick release plate (several to choose from) it's always on you camera. Just snap it onto your tripod! -- Also, when you use the adapter plate with your neck strap attached, when you hold the camera up to your eye, the strap is hanging out of the way to the left of the camera.

Guess I need to do a full review of it.

Also, Jim Garavuso is a great guy to deal with.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brian,
    I do use the grips on both 50D and 5D2, but no handstrap.
    One of the primary advantages of the grip is a convenient portrait holding. The handstrap will ruin that advantage completely, thus leaving the only gain: double battery. Considering the fact that the new batteries are much improved and can easily last 500+ frames or more, I don't think it would justify having an extra weight.
    Just IMHO...

As an opposing view:

I have battery grips & Camdapter straps on all my Canon bodies. I shoot a lot of pics, and I'd guess half of those are in portrait mode. I personally prefer to simply keep the same grip on the camera either shooting landscape or portrait. But, the times that I do change grip and actually hold the "battery grip" in portrait mode, the Camdapter strap does not get in my way one bit.

I find the battery grips allow the heel of my hand to rest on the side of the battery grip, therefore that greatly reduces the stress on my palm. In other words; my hand cramps when using a camera body with "L" series = heavy lenses. With the grip on the body, my hand is fine.

The Camdapter grip also allows me to concentrate on what I'm doing, and not on making sure I don't allow my camera to accidentally slip out of my hand.

But of course, YMMV thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brian,
    One of the primary advantages of the grip is a convenient portrait holding. The handstrap will ruin that advantage completely, thus leaving the only gain: double battery.
    The hand strap doesn't get in the way at all when shooting portrait. I don't even notice that it's there. Of course you can't have your hand in the strap when shooting portrait...
    I love my hand strap iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    DO GET the adapter plate. It has a slot on the left side for the neck strap to attach, and if you get one that is machined as a quick release plate (several to choose from) it's always on you camera. Just snap it onto your tripod! -- Also, when you use the adapter plate with your neck strap attached, when you hold the camera up to your eye, the strap is hanging out of the way to the left of the camera.

Good point - get the plate and you can have your neck strap, too. I have the plate on my 5D I and it does come in handy. It's nice to have a full time tripod plate.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    mike_k wrote:
    The hand strap doesn't get in the way at all when shooting portrait. I don't even notice that it's there. Of course you can't have your hand in the strap when shooting portrait...
    It *really* depends on the usage. For a person like me, who uses primarily portrait orientation, a combo "strap on a grip" is pretty much uselss. Naturally if your default orientation is landscape that's a different story...
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It *really* depends on the usage. For a person like me, who uses primarily portrait orientation, a combo "strap on a grip" is pretty much uselss. Naturally if your default orientation is landscape that's a different story...
    You're right - you need to take usage into account. I just wanted to point out that the strap doesn't get in the way or ruin the portrait advantage that the grip offers. I shoot mostly portrait, but when I'm not shooting - I seem to spend as much time standing and waiting as I do shooting - I slip the strap on and the camera is secure in my hand. When I'm walking around with my camera, I much prefer having the camera secured in my hand rather than hanging around my neck.

Like Randy says - YMMV thumb.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I've tried hand straps and just can't get used to them. my most common camera to body attachment arrangement is the neckstrap, wrapped around my wrist 3 times and then the camera falls neatly to hand and isn't ever going to be dropped.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    (course it was kind of a big order...)

Cheers,
    -joel

ear.gif details, give us details!!! whatcha get?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    ear.gif details, give us details!!! whatcha get?
    Oh man, you don't wanna know, trust me. I'm still green with envy, and it's been a few weeks:-)mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Oh man, you don't wanna know, trust me. I'm still green with envy, and it's been a few weeks:-)mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Well, let's put it this way. It wouldn't have been such a big order if EF-S lenses worked on full-frame. umph.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    sounds like someone has started a RED Ring Collection....:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Andy, I want One!!
    Hello Everyone

My first official post on dgrin

I want a 5D MkII!!!

Andy you xxxvxvxv******....arggggg

Seriously thou the camera looks and sounds great.

Hope I can join others on here and get one soon.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    Hello Everyone
    My first official post on dgrin
    I want a 5D MkII!!!
    Andy you xxxvxvxv******....arggggg
    Seriously thou the camera looks and sounds great.
    Hope I can join others on here and get one soon.
    Jeff
    Jeff, welcome to dgrin! clap.gif
    5D2 is a sweet camera - but not for everything. From my POV - not for anything including super fact action (sports) or where a very long reach is needed (birding). Landscapes and portraiture are where it shines unobstructed. deal.gif
  • Options
    RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Hey Andy, great post. Can you help a poor fool out here and tell me where specifically to look on your ISO 100-64,000 series (bookshelves) for progressively more noise. Must be some, I'm just not seeing it. These are JPEG as they come out of the camera? I tried looking in dark areas, that's where I have noise at higher ISOs, but eyes aren't what they used to be (30-40 or more years ago). Many thanks.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    I don't use video that often on the 5D2.. but here is one recently from the Sakura Sunday in Philadelphia.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Well it figurers just as soon as I ordered two batteries from ebay for the the 5dm2, the one that I ordered three months ago from Adorama just showed up at my door well I'm glad I got it any way
    but one week earlier and I could have saved 40 bucks
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    jacyjoypalsjacyjoypals Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Help for 5D -- Is there?
    I am picking up my 5D Mark II on Saturday and I have been following some of the posts here on the various +_ on batteries, shareware, black spots, noise, etc. and need a little direction please. Is there one post here that gives a shortcut of what accessories are best and what NOT to buy. I am concerned when I pick it up that I will purchase any additional that they work. I do not need lens recommendations as I have just purchased three new Canon ones for the 5D and 40D except my macro which will not work on it. Sorry this is so vague but I thought I would ask to save some steps and my eyes from reading for days! Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    I am picking up my 5D Mark II on Saturday and I have been following some of the posts here on the various +_ on batteries, shareware, black spots, noise, etc. and need a little direction please. Is there one post here that gives a shortcut of what accessories are best and what NOT to buy.
    Personally, I would stick to genuine Canon batteries. As to the rest of your issues of "shareware, black spots, noise, etc", honestly, I think you need to stop reading the internet for a while and get out and shoot. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Personally, I would stick to genuine Canon batteries. As to the rest of your issues of "shareware, black spots, noise, etc", honestly, I think you need to stop reading the internet for a while and get out and shoot. rolleyes1.gif

:D ROFL, thanks. I will be on a three-week shooting tour in five cities starting on Monday so that should take care of it. Sometimes the dealers want to "push" a favored product and since this is a new camera to me, I am trying to get my "photo ducks" in a row before I set out. BTW, I have been reading only you guys at dgrin and Canon and I only use Canon batteries.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    :D ROFL, thanks. I will be on a three-week shooting tour in five cities starting on Monday so that should take care of it.
    Then I guess after this tour you'll be an expert in anything usage wise, including noise, black spots, etc. thumb.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Hardly, it will take a novice more than that but, if I shoot as planned several concerts with high ISO's it will be a good test of it and me! Each Canon "expert" gives a different take on what to use and what not to use so I'm going for past experience with other Canon products and good input from pros and hopefully I will get in a few good ones to make all of the fuss worthwhile.

I am still looking for that post headscratch.gif if one exists.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Then I guess after this tour you'll be an expert in anything usage wise, including noise, black spots, etc. thumb.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    ...but, if I shoot as planned several concerts with high ISO's it will be a good test of it and me! ...
    Be aware 5D2's AF is rather slow in the dark, esp. for non-center AF points. Like *really* slow...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Be aware 5D2's AF is rather slow in the dark, esp. for non-center AF points. Like *really* slow...ne_nau.gif

Nik - does using the assisted focus of the 580EXII help with low light focusing? Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

I personally find that my 5DMkII does a very good job focusing quickly in low light. I've shot HSBB with it in very dark gyms and it has no problems with focus lock, and also tracking in AI Servo. (posted about it here on dgrin a while back - so dark I had to shoot at ISO 12800 - f/2.8 -- pics now gone due to site re-org.) I do use the center focus point though w/the 6 assist points enabled. Even did some non-scientific testing at said games with both a 30D & 40D. Back and forth between two photogs for objectivity. The 5DMkII focused the same as the 40D.

YMMV
    Randy