Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    But I will look for a terabyte drive that supports both firewire 800 and eSATA.
    Synology 209+. While it's not a drive, it's a fairly compact box. Quiet. Fast. Easy to manage. Better than a workstation.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I did a lot of shooting over the weekend with the new camera. The feel and handling was not much different of from my old 30D. All the buttons and the weight were similar. I would have to say this camera is really about image quality and not bells and whistles.

Here is a shot from Monday with an off shoe 580EX I and 24-70L.

497595c4917a7.jpg

Question to current owners: Does your CF card cover/door squeak? Mine squeaks at the lower edge. The door itself doesn't seem as sturdy as the 30Ds. It may sound frivolous but I'm concerned about the long term strength of it.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Mine doesn't squeak. I read about the squeakage, but I don't hear it on mine.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    poker wrote:
    I did a lot of shooting over the weekend with the new camera. The feel and handling was not much different of from my old 30D. All the buttons and the weight were similar. I would have to say this camera is really about image quality and not bells and whistles.

Nice shot. It's true; the camera is basically a 30D or 50D with a big sensor, big viewfinder and video capability. Luckily, it takes fantastic photographs! Destined to become a classic.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    A PW supposes that you want to press the shutter. On the 5DmkII you start the video with the set button.

I found this thread. Not sure if it helps or not but it implies the trigger is IR (see page 125 of the manual).
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I found this thread. Not sure if it helps or not but it implies the trigger is IR (see page 125 of the manual).

IMPLIES no! DOES yes! My RC1 IR remote works just fine on my II when you set the camera properly! Something I missed on the 30D, but the TC80N3 wired remote solved that, as well as allowing for time lapse shots.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    IMPLIES no!
    I don't understand. What about this?
    A simple IR remote will trigger the camera start/stop in Live View,

Isn't that implication ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:

Well done, Ian.

This is the other link from that thread, which has some handy info about it. Wifi grip... jeez I never thought I'd ever consider one. I already have the RC-1 but it won't work from as far away as I'm going to be.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't understand. What about this?

Isn't that implication ne_nau.gif

Yabut ... to me that's a "statement":D ; to me the word "implies" means "maybe but I'm not sure" or "suggests". But that's just me! Whatever the definition, though, the Mark II works well with the RC1 IR controller.thumb.gif
    — Henry —
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Well done, Ian.

This is the other link from that thread, which has some handy info about it. Wifi grip... jeez I never thought I'd ever consider one. I already have the RC-1 but it won't work from as far away as I'm going to be.
    That Wifi thing looked interesting. I wonder if Radio Poppers might do the trick? I don't know much about them but it'd be worth looking at.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    That Wifi thing looked interesting. I wonder if Radio Poppers might do the trick? I don't know much about them but it'd be worth looking at.

As far as I know, RadioPoppers don't trigger anything but flashes. Bummer, too, cause I'd buy a set it they could fire cameras like PWs do.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    As far as I know, RadioPoppers don't trigger anything but flashes. Bummer, too, cause I'd buy a set it they could fire cameras like PWs do.

I read a bit more on them. At least now, it doesn't look like they will fire a remote cameras--and I'm not sure why (if the camera has an IR remote). Oh well.
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Seems like the price for the grip now is a bit cheaper, $270 compared to $300 when 5D2 is released, since I use my camera in portrait positions a lot, I think I might have to get this sooner or later ...
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I don't feel like buying an eSATA connection port for my MBP. I understand that eSATA is fast, but I feel that firewire 800 will work fine for me at the moment. rolleyes1.gif I will probably upgrade in the future to eSATA haha! But I will look for a terabyte drive that supports both firewire 800 and eSATA.

Oops, I was misinformed in thinking all Macs had an eSATA port. Sorry.

Just saw this in my e-mail this morning...

Fantom 1TB G-Force Hard Drive - Quadruple Interface (USB 2.0, eSATA & FireWire 400/800) External Hard Drive -- $139 after rebate

http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-1tb-g-force-hard-drive-quadruple-interface-usb-2-0-esata/q/loc/101/206821013.html
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Jim Goldstein just went all eSata and likes the results: HERE
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Hey Pindy...
    Read this.

I guess it can be done. Now I wonder how or if it was a wired remote?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Read this.

I guess it can be done. Now I wonder how or if it was a wired remote?

That's what's confusing. It was a wireless grip but all signs point to hardwiring "to avoid interference". Hard to figure out. If you've seen Canon's EOS Utility when live view is turned on, you get LOADS of control so I think that's the way forward, but i don't know how you translate wired control to that grip. Need to consult the experts!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2009
    Pindy. I am still waiting on your thoughts between the D700 and 5D2. Even though I am a Canononite.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    Pindy. I am still waiting on your thoughts between the D700 and 5D2. Even though I am a Canononite.

When I do weigh in, which I'll do soon, I'll do it in a new thread. No need to hijack this one. I'll tell you this though: I've never been more conflicted. I was really hoping for a clear winner.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Already posted in the 5D thread. Moving.

BTW, the portrait was sorta blah :(

2 reasons for that I can think of:

1- using a low contrasty Canon for portrait work:D:D:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifjust kidding............

2- Souza is a small farm town Ks news shooter not a portraitist, but this is his second go around being a WH shootistne_nau.gif and you'da thunk he woulda practiced on some one before taking such a bleeck portrait.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    Ted et al, I put my first batch of 5DmkII/D700 thoughts up
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Schnauzer wrote:
    No, I kept thinking it would be here any day. I hate to jump ship when I commit to something. Looks like I should rethink my thinking.

I just looked at amazon, they want 3399 for the body only not 2699. I think I'll wait at that price. If I don't get a call by the middle of the week I'll start searching everywhere until I find one.
    Well I started calling every place I could find and no one had one. Some had them the day before or a couple of days ago, one sold the last one the night before.

Today I got a call from Talyns. My 5DMII shipped today along with the battery grip. The extra battery will ship as soon as they get more in. With a little luck I'll have it by the end of the week. Four months plus a few days is a long time to wait for a pre-order. I was right on the verge of ordering a D700.
    RON
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    Congrats! I have a good friend on Tallyn's list who hasn't been served yet, but been on for months. Waiting's no fun.
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Congrats! I have a good friend on Tallyn's list who hasn't been served yet, but been on for months. Waiting's no fun.
    Thanks Pindy. I ordered Sept 22, this is Jan 27. I never in my wildest dreams thought it would take this long. I don't blame Talyns, if they don't get the cameras they can't ship them.

I had all but made my mind up to keep a couple of lenses for my EOS3 and sell the rest and go for the D700. My cousin got one on my recommendation, he had a D300, and it is a fine camera.
    RON
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    A update to my stuck pixel issue, tossed up 9 videos to show it.

White pixel patch around dogs eye in this shot.
    You really need to look at the FULL HD version to see the issue.
    Stands out like a sore thumb on my 17" 1920x1200 MBPro.

Used the 70-200/2.8 IS in this one, but the wide angle stuff shows the patch as well.

Link to 8 more that show the issue with different lenses, please use Full HD to view:
    http://sacramentoimage.smugmug.com

<object width="425" height="240"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDUzNzE0NjEzJms9dHoyMkEmYT03MDc4ODc1X204dTdVJnU9c2FjcmFtZW50b2ltYWdl" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDUzNzE0NjEzJms9dHoyMkEmYT03MDc4ODc1X204dTdVJnU9c2FjcmFtZW50b2ltYWdl" width="425" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Ill put up more vids & pics later, much less of an issue for stills.
    But the mid-low light Full HD has the annoying white pixel patch,
    also found one red patch in lower light situations.

I love the camera, but I have to send it back soon.
    It is kind of addicting shooting video with this thing though.

Ill post more soon, shot some stuff on the big island I need to upload.
    From the beach to the top of Mona Kea @ 13000+ feet, nice snow up there now.
    Did not get a underwater housing in time for this trip, but Im hoping to get one soon.
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    WesternriderWesternrider Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    That was fast
    Around the beginning of the month I placed an order with Tallyn's for the 5D Mark II. I also put myself on the notification list for B&H when they opened that up a couple of weeks ago, and earlier, on the list at a local Camera shop (who told me I probably couldn't expect it before April).

To say that I've been anxious would be putting it mildly.

Got my call from Tallyn's today, it's been shipped! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now, about those memory cards....
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Mine is on the way
    Mine is on the way. I will get it tomorrow. And I am really excited 'cause I have a great proposal shoot on Saturday on the beachwings.gif So I will be two camera shooting!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    One will be in my hands Mondayclap.gifbarb
    Got a grip and extra battery also.

Canon Rep found one for me and I also got a notice that my main dealer had them in too.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Mweh hehe more are entering the fold!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Got a grip and extra battery also.

Where are people finding the LP-E6 battery? I've been loking for a spare for over 6 weeks now, even checking http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/canon5dmarkii/ daily as well as other places and still no luck. I would prefer not to get the non-Canon ones on eBay at this time — and I won't pay the hundred bucks plus the scalpers are asking for a genuine one.
    — Henry —