Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    ashishpandeyashishpandey Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Thando wrote:
    Do you have another example, I'd really like to figure out why quotes are put on one but not the other.

I posted a couple of more examples. Did they they help? I am not sure if this is being fixed as I did not see any followup after the above quote
    Ashish
    http://photography.ashishpandey.com
    smugmug ID: ashishpandey (but I prefer my domain URL above :D)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I posted a couple of more examples. Did they they help? I am not sure if this is being fixed as I did not see any followup after the above quote
    Ashish - Dustin has the info, and our sorcerers have the info. When we have news on this we'll report it, thanks.
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009

So, Jfriend offered a reason for this:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thando
    Additionally, as I'm testing this, I can't seem to get the Rating: 1star keyword to automatically appear at all unless I manually put that one in quotes.

It is a long standing issue with Smugmug that no IPTC keywords upon upload are properly indexed if they have mixed alphanumerics in them. 1star is such a keyword. Andy and I have discussed and documented the issues in depth in previous discussions (which could be found via search). I believe he said JT or someone would look at it sometime, but that was awhlie ago and I haven't heard anything about it since.

The only way to get it indexed is to set it inside of Smugmug's keyword UI by putting quotes around it. This is a royal pain and basically means mixed alphanumeric keywords don't work in Smugmug without redoing your keywords after uploading. It certainly appears to me like at least a major design deficiency or maybe even a bug if the desire was to actually index all IPTC keywords that an image arrives with (which I assume is the desire and believe should be the desire).

That would answer the question if you put quotes around some of your keywords but not others. Have you done that?
  • Options
    shgshg Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Having a strange problem with the SmugMug style under Firefox today. It keeps putting the image BELOW the thumbnails instead of placing it to the right of them.

Problem doesn't show up under Safari.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    shg wrote:
    Having a strange problem with the SmugMug style under Firefox today. It keeps putting the image BELOW the thumbnails instead of placing it to the right of them.

Problem doesn't show up under Safari.
    This is usually because your browser is set to a zoom number other than 100%. Select View/Zoom/Reset in Firefox.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ashishpandeyashishpandey Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Thando wrote:
    So, Jfriend offered a reason for this:

That would answer the question if you put quotes around some of your keywords but not others. Have you done that?

I shared two samples. Both have identical keywords. One that was uploaded earlier, and shows the keywords correctly. The recently uploaded ones dont show the keywords. Besides, keywords like 'Hong Kong' which have spaces work correctly without needing any quotes. The keywords that are shown on edit box are different from what appear under the photo and are indexed. Do you consider these inconsistencies as bugs, and are there any plans to fix this?

One thing to note is that on the older uploads, when things are fine, smugmug seems to have added quotes on all keywords that have spaces. On new ones, thats not the case. "Rating: 1star" and "Hong Kong" are both good examples
    Older - http://ashishpandey.smugmug.com/gallery/6801320_ARdyv#452114921_kNJDM
    New - http://ashishpandey.smugmug.com/gallery/6801320_ARdyv#452113474_VqHMo
    You may look at originals and see that both have similar keywords, and I don't add quotes in either cases (both should be saved by lightroom)

It works if I go and edit the keywords and put quotes around them. But I don't go and edit keywords directly in smugmug. They come directly from my DAM workflow from Lightroom. I think they are imported as part of smugmug upload. I do not put any quotes around any of my keywords, at least not that I am aware of. The originals are with you and you can check that. They also work correctly on other sites that support keywords. They work fine on DAM software like iMatch. And they are based on the DAM workflow as described in Peter Krogh's The Dam Book. I do not think it would be a good idea to change my DAM workflow or existing library because smugmug is having difficulty handling some keywords

The reason I have been asking for status on this is because I really don't know yet (for the lack of a transparent bug tracking system) if you have categorized this as a bug or are planning to fix this. Your last reply seems to suggest that I should be changing my workflow to accomodate quotes around keywords. Not only it is something extra work, it also does not instill confidence because I have no guarantees that if the behaviour at smugmug changes in future (which seems to be the case in the two samples I posted), I would need to refactor my galleries yet again

So I just want to know if smugmug will fix the keyword handling to handle this case? I would be glad to assist by providing samples, answering queries etc to make sure that the behaviour is correctly understood
    Ashish
    http://photography.ashishpandey.com
    smugmug ID: ashishpandey (but I prefer my domain URL above :D)
  • Options
    Luis LeyvaLuis Leyva Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2009
    Flash Slide Show not working properly
    Anybody else having problems with the Flash lide Show?
    It seems to hang...

http://lleyvaphoto.com

Please help!

Luis Leyva
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Slideshow asking for bad URLs?
    I was troubleshooting why a slideshow was stopping from getting any new images. To do so, I used a proxy that was hooked into Firefox to watch all the network traffic coming from the browser. I was surprised to find the slideshow making requests for URLs like this:

/photos/451075143_4uY5Q-MediumURL-4.jpg

Is that a valid URL?

Here are the actual headers from the HTTP request:

GET /photos/451075143_4uY5Q-MediumURL-4.jpg HTTP/1.1
    Host: api.smugmug.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
    Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    Keep-Alive: 300
    Connection: keep-alive

When I watch the requests, they all fail. Is the slideshow supposed to be doing this? If so, why is it doing this and why do they all fail?

I've seen this many times, not just once. It seems to be easy to reproduce.

Oh, one more thing. When it requests this invalid URL, the slideshow stalls until that request fails.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I was troubleshooting why a slideshow was stopping from getting any new images. To do so, I used a proxy that was hooked into Firefox to watch all the network traffic coming from the browser. I was surprised to find the slideshow making requests for URLs like this:

/photos/451075143_4uY5Q-MediumURL-4.jpg

Is that a valid URL?

Here are the actual headers from the HTTP request:

GET /photos/451075143_4uY5Q-MediumURL-4.jpg HTTP/1.1
    Host: api.smugmug.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
    Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    Keep-Alive: 300
    Connection: keep-alive

When I watch the requests, they all fail. Is the slideshow supposed to be doing this? If so, why is it doing this and why do they all fail?

I've seen this many times, not just once. It seems to be easy to reproduce.

John,

Can you please be more specific about which slideshow ? Slideshow style ? Fullscreen slideshow or embedded slideshow (eg, homepage) ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    John,

Can you please be more specific about which slideshow ? Slideshow style ? Fullscreen slideshow or embedded slideshow (eg, homepage) ?

Cheers,

David
    I am seeing it right now on this homepage slideshow: http://leyvaphoto.com/. I have a captured log file from the proxy if you want. It's too big to attach in the forum, but I could email it to you if you want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Luis Leyva wrote:
    Anybody else having problems with the Flash lide Show?
    It seems to hang...

http://lleyvaphoto.com

Please help!

Luis Leyva

I'm assuming your correct URL is http://leyvaphoto.com/ (only one l at the beginning). When I looked at your site, I saw that the slideshow was hanging for a long time when the browser made a request to quantserve.com (a web reporting service that I believe Smugmug uses). It appears that for a little while quantserve or some part of the network between you and I to them was being unresponsive and that was causing the issue. It seems to be working now so maybe that hiccup has been fixed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I am seeing it right now on this homepage slideshow: http://leyvaphoto.com/. I have a captured log file from the proxy if you want. It's too big to attach in the forum, but I could email it to you if you want.

I don't see the invalid URL issue on the gallery slideshow, but I do see it hitting pixel.quantserve.com for every single image it loads in the slideshow. Is that intended?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

yeah, email it to me please :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't see the invalid URL issue on the gallery slideshow, but I do see it hitting pixel.quantserve.com for every single image it loads in the slideshow. Is that intended?

i saw that earlier, it's a question for Lee or Jimmy
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    yeah, email it to me please :D
    Email sent.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

Is this still happening? I can't reproduce it on the given site in FF3, OS X, Flash 10.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    Shizam wrote:
    Is this still happening? I can't reproduce it on the given site in FF3, OS X, Flash 10.

Sam

Yes, I see it right now in the slideshow on http://leyvaphoto.com/ on FF3 and Flash 10.0.12.36. It does requests like this:

GET /photos/451436191_3BVds-MediumURL-1.jpg HTTP/1.1

I see five requests like that in the first minute or so of the slideshow. They all return an error. I'm monitor the requests using the Fiddler Debugging Proxy so I can see all web requests from my computer.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Andy recently replied to a CLOSED Bug Reporting Thread (Confused? Yeah, I wish they'd implement [thread=107594]sub-sub-forums for bug reporting[/thread] so you wouldn't have to dig through multiple closed and monolithic "bug reporting threads" to find a specific bug and what the follow-ups were to it.):
    andy wrote:
    jfriend wrote:
    Please fix the slideshow so that it will still display and NOT use 100% of your CPU if the splash image is not correct. Good defensive coding techniques should still be able to display the slideshow and not gobble up your Windows CPU just because the splash image URL is incorrect.

Here's the latest customer victim of such a behavior in the slideshow.
    being fixed as we speak and going out soon with a bunch of other slideshow fixes.

Oooh. Could this possibly include a fix for the slideshow freezing when it hits a video? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=996551#post996551

(Ideally the slideshow would actually *play* the videos, like Phanfare's does. But at least show the thumbnail, or skip it entirely. Not freeze!)
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Yes, I see it right now in the slideshow on http://leyvaphoto.com/ on FF3 and Flash 10.0.12.36. It does requests like this:

GET /photos/451436191_3BVds-MediumURL-1.jpg HTTP/1.1

I see five requests like that in the first minute or so of the slideshow. They all return an error. I'm monitor the requests using the Fiddler Debugging Proxy so I can see all web requests from my computer.
    Shizam, were you able to see this? Are you going to be able to fix it in the upcoming new slideshow release?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Shizam, were you able to see this? Are you going to be able to fix it in the upcoming new slideshow release?
    No, we've been unable to reproduce this at all, John. Not me, Dustin or Shizam.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Lori_B wrote:
    Hi, I'm working on a gallery in which I want all my pics to be sorted by filename, and then afterward I switch to manual sorting to move a few things around (4 videos, whose filenames don't fit the chronological order). Normally this works. However today, whenever I switch to manual sort, it "unarranges" the sort by filename, and if I tell it to sort by filename in the Arrange Photos section (rather than Customize Gallery) it does not arrange them correctly. My images start at IMG_32xx, but it starts the gallery at IMG_33xx and up, and puts all the 3200's at the end.

I've noticed this bug in "quick sort" too. Apparently SmugMug is alphabetizing using some funky new alphanumeric scheme:

Here's the order it placed some movies I recently uploaded (after selecting "quick sort -> Filenames"):

MVI_9809.AVI
    MVI_9808.AVI
    MVI_9797.AVI
    MVI_9799.AVI
    MVI_9807.AVI
    MVI_9802.AVI
    MVI_9806.AVI
    MVI_9793.mov
    MVI_9796.MOV
    MVI_9798.AVI
    MVI_9793.mov
    MVI_9805.AVI
    MVI_9795.MOV
    MVI_9800.AVI
    MVI_9794.MOV
    MVI_9801.AVI
    MVI_9804.AVI
    MVI_9803.AVI

(Yes, the suffixes are different, but that really shouldn't matter. This sort algorithm is totally wacked.)

Note also that all of these "M" files showed up before the "I" files (IMG_xxxx.JPG).
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Andy recently replied to a CLOSED Bug Reporting Thread (Confused? )
    Sorry you were confused, my post was to deliver specific news on a specific bug.

Oooh. Could this possibly include a fix for the slideshow freezing when it hits a video? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=996551#post996551

(Ideally the slideshow would actually *play* the videos, like Phanfare's does. But at least show the thumbnail, or skip it entirely. Not freeze!)
    It's not related but that's being dealt with as well.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No, we've been unable to reproduce this at all, John. Not me, Dustin or Shizam.
    It's clearly a problem and making some slideshows not work properly. I'm really disappointed that two days went by since I answered Shizam's last question, nobody posted anything more about it asking for more information about how to reproduce.

I can reproduce it on demand. I've produced proxy logs (I emailed them to David Parry who was the first one to engage me in dgrin on this issue) that show the bad web requests that the slideshow is making. My proxy reports these requests as a protocol violation and they all fail.

How did you all look for this problem? It's not something you can see with your eyes unless you realize the slideshow is getting stuck on an image for a longer time than it should which is what was happening to some customers and why I looked into it in the first place. You only see the real cause of the issue when you see the actual log of web requests that are being made. It is reproducible on some customer sites on some computers.

Does anyone care to work on it any more?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    It's not something you can see with your eyes
    John, they're using HTTPscoop. They're rather competent, I promise thumb.gif

jfriend wrote:
    It's clearly a problem and making some slideshows not work properly. I'm really disappointed that two days went by since I answered Shizam's last question, nobody posted anything more about it asking for more information about how to reproduce.

I can reproduce it on demand. I've produced proxy logs
    Does anyone care to work on it any more?
    I'm really sorry we disappointed you John :( I've said over and over again that we monitor this thread, we have dedicated person (Dustin) doing just that. And he reports everything to the Sorcery team (and I do, too). We've never, ever, ever ever ever given you any reason to believe that we don't do this. I'm really sorry that we didn't reply to your post in two days. It's only because everyone here is already working 70 hrs a week and we didn't have the extra time :D We will try to be more responsive to you, John.

Can you please email me the proxy logs?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK we have it. Thank you. Shizam says he'll get on this after the current round of bug fixes.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    John, they're using HTTPscoop. They're rather competent, I promise thumb.gif

I'm really sorry we disappointed you John :(
    Logs sent to you via email. The faulty requests look like this:

GET /photos/451436450_ELXPn-MediumURL-1.jpg HTTP/1.1

instead of normal requests that look like this:

GET /photos/451436450_ELXPn-M-1.jpg HTTP/1.1
    GET /photos/451435850_J2WcR-M-1.jpg HTTP/1.1
    GET /photos/451435850_J2WcR-680x580.jpg HTTP/1.1
    GET /photos/457423878_Bk3aa-540x580.jpg HTTP/1.1

My environment where it is reproducible is Vista Home Premium, Flash version WIN 10,0,12,36. Problem seen in Firefox 3.0.6 (I didn't check other browsers).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    PhotoShooterPhotoShooter Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2009
    SmugMug Gallery Style not working IE6
    Did something recently change? I am no longer able to view any of my gallery photos where the style is set to SmugMug. I have also checked random galleries and am getting the same issue, so it shouldn't be any of my customizations. IE6 is reporting "Error on page". I am not seeing the problem on IE7 or Firefox. I need to understand what the problem is. Many of our users have not upgraded to IE7.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2009
    Did something recently change? I am no longer able to view any of my gallery photos where the style is set to SmugMug. I have also checked random galleries and am getting the same issue, so it shouldn't be any of my customizations. IE6 is reporting "Error on page". I am not seeing the problem on IE7 or Firefox. I need to understand what the problem is. Many of our users have not upgraded to IE7.
    Nothing changed and IE6 is showing SmugMug sites for me/us just fine. Can we have a link to your site please?

Oh and are you certain you're allowing javascript? Any addons or security changes lately (norton, mcafaee, etc)?
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Safari "Back" button bug when navigating site.
    I have noticed a bug in using the Safari 'Back' button for some time but haven't been able to find anything in the forums on it. (Using Safari 3.2.1 on OS X 10.5.6).

Basically, the back button on Safari at times doesn't seem to work and you have to press it TWICE to actually go back to the previous page. Take this example:

1. Go to this gallery:
    http://www.lookingglassphotography.com.au/Travel/707313

2. Click on the Highlights from Cambodia gallery on the bottom:
    If you look at what the URL is doing in Safari, it initially loads this URL...
    a) h t t p://www.lookingglassphotography.com.au/gallery/7277503_mHkqr

...but then towards the end of the loading, it adds a type of extension to the end of the URL so that it now becomes this:
    b) h t t p://www.lookingglassphotography.com.au/gallery/7277503_mHkqr#465578734_LMXRh

**I added the spaces in between the http because if I didn't, it truncates the link and you won't really be able to read what's happening with the URLs**

3. So on this gallery of "Highlights from Cambodia", if you press "back" on Safari, it takes you to link 2a which is essentially the same gallery as link 2b, thus making it appear that the back button is not working. It only takes you directly back to the previous page if you navigate from WITHIN the smugmug hierarchy of links of the galleries and sub-galleries.

As far as I can tell, this appears to be a Safari issue because I have tested it on Firefox and it works fine. Any ideas?

• Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK we have it. Thank you. Shizam says he'll get on this after the current round of bug fixes.

Here's another site that is showing the same problem right now: http://www.rlsimaging.com/. He says he has viewers complaining that his slideshow only shows a few images and then stops. I can see in the proxy logs, that is is also asking for the same flawed URL of the forum (http://api.smugmug.com/photos/464529004_QchNh-MediumURL.jpg), getting an error back and sometimes getting hung up on that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.