Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Well, I didn't explain that the way I got to that view was just by clicking on the image in a large single image view. E.g.:

http://www.shutterglass.com/gallery/2066860_cS9Lj/2/106382114_uDE5K/Large

IIRC, that action used to open the image in an overlay box. But even if I do not recall correctly, the current behavior doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make sense that clicking on the image loads a larger size of the image inside a container that is too small to show it.
    The original design was that it just got larger and larger - after /Large you got /Original.

You're right, with Lightbox now, the current /Original is sorta outdated. We'll be moving to a different single image view one day, I hope soon - that will eliminate all this confusion :)
  • Options
    CulliganCulligan Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2009
    Subcategory search bug
    Hello,

I noticed some peculiar behavior regarding the search function when looking through a subcategory. If you navigate to a subcategory and perform a search: such as on this page, the results are returned as expected. If you try searching again (now on the results page), things go wildly wrong. Whatever term you search for will look through "Don MacAskill's Cats Photos." This is a real problem, especially if you have users relying heavily on the search function. My hypothesis is that the search page script is not properly parsing the URL to identify the subcategory ID that needs to be searched. Instead, the script defaults to "SubCategoryID=1," which happens to be Mr. MacAskill's cat subcategory.

This problem only exists with subcategories, as far as I can tell. I presume they are not used as frequently, but I'm surprised this bug has not been caught. Should be any easy fix, though. Regardless, I am extremely pleased with SmugMug. Keep up the good work.

User status: this occurs both when logged in and logged out
    Brower: IE 8 and FF 3

Kieran
  • Options
    Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Photos getting overrotated
    I have some batch actions that I perform on some images so that after they are uploaded usually about half need rotating. Well for about the last 2 weeks, I select all the images and rotate, every time 2 or 3 off about 200 are rotated twice thus requiring a another rotation back. This is beginning to be a real p.i.a. because sometimes it may not show up until after I have visually checked the gallery and made it public for the customer.

Please fix it.
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    I have some batch actions that I perform on some images so that after they are uploaded usually about half need rotating. Well for about the last 2 weeks, I select all the images and rotate, every time 2 or 3 off about 200 are rotated twice thus requiring a another rotation back. This is beginning to be a real p.i.a. because sometimes it may not show up until after I have visually checked the gallery and made it public for the customer.

Please fix it.
    Hello Scott, we'd need to see the specific images, thanks!
  • Options
    Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hello Scott, we'd need to see the specific images, thanks!

Next time it happens I will email the specific images, should I do it after it initially over rotates. I finished all the work from events this past weekend, and didn't document the images numbers, was in a hurry to get things up for customers and wasn't sure how soon someone could get on it. But it has happened in 12 galleries at least 2 images per gallery, but from one gallery today it happened to 5 images. This is over the past two weekends.
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Culligan wrote:
    Hello,

I noticed some peculiar behavior regarding the search function when looking through a subcategory. If you navigate to a subcategory and perform a search: such as on this page, the results are returned as expected. If you try searching again (now on the results page), things go wildly wrong. Whatever term you search for will look through "Don MacAskill's Cats Photos." This is a real problem, especially if you have users relying heavily on the search function. My hypothesis is that the search page script is not properly parsing the URL to identify the subcategory ID that needs to be searched. Instead, the script defaults to "SubCategoryID=1," which happens to be Mr. MacAskill's cat subcategory.

This problem only exists with subcategories, as far as I can tell. I presume they are not used as frequently, but I'm surprised this bug has not been caught. Should be any easy fix, though. Regardless, I am extremely pleased with SmugMug. Keep up the good work.

Kieran

Can you give us step-by-step instructions on what you exactly do? What do you set your search parameters to? What search term did you use? I just entered 'bike' and it worked just fine when searching again on the results page.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    CulliganCulligan Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    Step-by-step instructions for search bug
    1) Navigate to http://culligan.smugmug.com/Sports/727695
    2) In the standard smugmug search box in the header, search "bike" with no quotes
    3) Press enter on the keyboard

<RESULT> Results page loads as expected, no results are found in the subcategory

5) On the results page in the standard smugmug search box in the header, search "bike2" with no quotes
    6) Press enter on the keyboard

<RESULT> Results page loads, but is searching "Don MacAskill's Cats Gallery" (which has the subcategoryID 1)

I've noticed similar behavior when you start the search within a gallery, you are redirected to searching within "the vilest gallery" (which has the albumID 1)
    Culligan wrote:
    Hello,

Kieran
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 5, 2009
    Culligan, We are investigating this. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MattKrMattKr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2009
    Exif data missing
    In some of my recent photos, the exif data does not show up, not even "date taken". The weird thing is that it is happening only with some photos, others taken on the same day are fine. I tried uploading them again, no change. The data is fine in iPhoto. The first three in this gallery are missing the info:

http://mattkr.smugmug.com/gallery/7524536_9qrY3#483606010_3etNn

Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    MattKr wrote:
    In some of my recent photos, the exif data does not show up, not even "date taken". The weird thing is that it is happening only with some photos, others taken on the same day are fine. I tried uploading them again, no change. The data is fine in iPhoto. The first three in this gallery are missing the info:

http://mattkr.smugmug.com/gallery/7524536_9qrY3#483606010_3etNn

Any ideas?
    Hi Matt, there's no exif in the original file - this can happen when you use photoshop 'save for web' or similar commands in other programs.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't see the invalid URL issue on the gallery slideshow, but I do see it hitting pixel.quantserve.com for every single image it loads in the slideshow. Is that intended?
    This issue I believe is fixed, can you let us know if you see this issue again?

Also fixed with slideshow:

* the caption truncation bug

* no longer see the print menu when you right click on the sildeshow

* if you have a bad link in for the splash image on the homepage slideshow, it no longer breaks :)

* memory usage is improved
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I have no idea how long ago I first reported this problem (it feels like 6 months ago), but it remains unfixed.

If some unfortunate sole puts this line in their homepage slideshow declaration:

splash: 'false',

thinking that this is how you say you don't want a splash screen, then slideshow code will eat 100% of a CPU (on Windows Vista, I don't know about other flash platforms). It's really horrible. If you don't have multiple CPUs, it can cripple your ability to use the computer until you realize you have to close that site.

Apparently, the slideshow code is not handling errors well and it goes into some sort of infinite loop when it gets an invalid URL for the splash screen. A little defensive coding with decent error handling should prevent this entirely.

I've written about this a couple times before, but I'm writing about it again because I keep seeing users and viewers inflicted by it and it was so long ago that I first wrote about it, that I have no idea if it's actually going to be fixed or not and it's unlikely it's a particularly time consuming fix. I would think that the folks at Smugmug would be horrified that there are customer's sites out there inflicting serious CPU hogging and sullying the reputation of Smugmug and it's slideshow design. That's why I'm surprised it hasn't been prioritized high enough to get fixed.

The latest victim I've run into is here, though hopefully he will fix his site as I've advised him.

Fixed! :D
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    This issue I believe is fixed, can you let us know if you see this issue again?

Also fixed with slideshow:

* the caption truncation bug

* no longer see the print menu when you right click on the sildeshow

* if you have a bad link in for the splash image on the homepage slideshow, it no longer breaks :)

* memory usage is improved
    The captions for the fullscreen slideshow are completely useless unless
    html is hidden and not transferred to the show caption. Can it be coded to
    ignore anything inside html tags?

Also large captions cover the photo.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    Allen wrote:

Also large captions cover the photo.
    you can turn captions off or on.
    Sorry, this is a cake & eat it too situation :) Most folks want big beautiful screen-filling photos. If we left room for captions, and big ones at that, we'd not be filling the screen....
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    The captions for the fullscreen slideshow are completely useless unless
    html is hidden and not transferred to the show caption. Can it be coded to
    ignore anything inside html tags?
    Will ask shizam - considering this a feature request, thanks Al.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    RSS Updated for no apparent reason
    I have an RSS feed of my recent photos (http://bradfordbenn.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=BradfordBenn&format=rss200) and it has been working great for a while. Today I saw that I had "new photos" in the feed. However it was showing ones from July/August of 2008; so definittely not new. I have not added any new images in probably a week to 10 days. Not a big deal but figured since it showed up on multiple readers on multiple computers on multiple networks, I figured I should let you guys know.

(It showed up on my Mac at home in Google Reader and in the RSS screen saver; it showed up at work on my Windows XP in Outlook 2007 and FeedDemon; and it showed up on my wife's Windows machine - Outlook 2007)headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Problem? with gallery slideshow
    I went to galleries I hadn't looked at for a while and found a couple of problems with gallery slideshows.
    1. gallery1: Although all thumbs and main pics were displayed in some of the pics were missing in the slideshow? Only shows a black thumb but no pic? All gallery pics are 1000x1000 but so are they in other okay galleries.
    2. gallery2: All pics show in slideshow but "top" thumbs are zoomed in so much that pic can't be seen. Is this due to pic size? Why aren't thumbs just small pics, similar to "tiny" thumbs in gallery?
    Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    The flash slideshow (as used in many people's homepages) is downloading thumbs for all displayed images even when thumbs are turned off. This seems like a waste of networking bandwidth (both ours at home and Smugmug's) and a waste of time in getting images cached.

One can easily see this happening by just going to http://www.moonriverphotography.com/ and using any sort of TCP watching tool (I'm using Fiddler) to watch the browser networking traffic. You will see it getting thumbs for every image in the slideshow, yet this slideshow does not display thumbs. This seems like a waste of time and network resources.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mchapmamchapma Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Smugmug Slideshow in gallery not working
    Situation:

My homepage slideshow, http://markchapmanphotography.com, works both at home and anywhere else. When I go to one of my galleries and click on slideshow:

The slideshow works at my desktop at work, but not on my home desktop.

It use to, but now it will start and show a maximum of two pages and then quit.

Is there a setting on IE or other that I need to look at?

Mark Chapman
    mecphotography@gmail.com
  • Options
    keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Problem with Safari
    Over the past few weeks I have found that my Smugmug galleries don't show any pictures when I use the Safari browser. This used to be an intermittent problem, but has now become constant. My homepage shows OK, but when I click on a gallery, there are no thumbnails or large photos. This doesn't appear to be a problem when I use Firefox.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    Over the past few weeks I have found that my Smugmug galleries don't show any pictures when I use the Safari browser. This used to be an intermittent problem, but has now become constant. My homepage shows OK, but when I click on a gallery, there are no thumbnails or large photos. This doesn't appear to be a problem when I use Firefox.
    Hi, sorry to hear about your viewing issues. If you recently
    updated MacOSX 10.5.6 and use Safari, we have noticed that there may be
    problems such as you're experiencing. For now, we suggest using Firefox
    instead as a temporary workaround. It appears that Apple may have broken
    something in their latest update as these errors are new and random for
    the people that updated.

You can get Firefox here:
    http://getfirefox.com

It's not only happening on SmugMug, but also on other sites. It's an
    Apple issue that you can see here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1828195&start=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1828211&start=0

Let us know if that helps for the time being. Thank you for your
    understanding and we apologize again for the temporary inconvenience.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    mchapma wrote:
    Situation:

My homepage slideshow, http://markchapmanphotography.com, works both at home and anywhere else. When I go to one of my galleries and click on slideshow:

The slideshow works at my desktop at work, but not on my home desktop.

It use to, but now it will start and show a maximum of two pages and then quit.

Is there a setting on IE or other that I need to look at?

Mark Chapman
    mecphotography@gmail.com
    Mark, I'm traveling right now and can't do much.... can you please write our heroes, and give exact details (browser, version, type of computer and gallery links), they'll get you going!

Thx
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Next time it happens I will email the specific images, should I do it after it initially over rotates. I finished all the work from events this past weekend, and didn't document the images numbers, was in a hurry to get things up for customers and wasn't sure how soon someone could get on it. But it has happened in 12 galleries at least 2 images per gallery, but from one gallery today it happened to 5 images. This is over the past two weekends.

Andy I have sent an email to the help desk. It would really be helpful if there default question isn't about user error. Quite frankly it comes across as belittling.(sp?) Especially when I referenced the thread here and as stated it just started recently happening and it has happened on a large enough scale. I deal with a large volume of images where regularly 500 or so a week that have been uploaded need to be rotated, so I am more likely to see things other users may not. Since you have started autodetecting orientation, I probably am one of the few people rotating with much volume now.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Another slideshow problem
    This Smugmug user is reporting a problem with their slideshow: http://www.markchapmanphotography.com/.

When I look at the network trace, I see that the slideshow is requesting some bogus image URLs, getting 404 errors on them and then the slideshow sometimes stops working properly.

Here's an example of a network request from that slideshow that generates an error (because it's a mal-formed image URL):

GET /photos/486380349_Tq600x600Z-Ti-0.jpg HTTP/1.1

Note the "Z" after the 600x600 which is not supposed to be there. Also, I have no idea why the slideshow is even trying to fetch thumbnails since they are not being displayed in this slideshow. The user reports that the gallery slideshow has the same problem.

Here's the thread of their original report:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1061375#post1061375

This problem seems 100% reproducible to me.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    This Smugmug user is reporting a problem with their slideshow: http://www.markchapmanphotography.com/.

When I look at the network trace, I see that the slideshow is requesting some bogus image URLs, getting 404 errors on them and then the slideshow sometimes stops working properly.

Here's an example of a network request from that slideshow that generates an error (because it's a mal-formed image URL):

GET /photos/486380349_Tq600x600Z-Ti-0.jpg HTTP/1.1

Note the "Z" after the 600x600 which is not supposed to be there. Also, I have no idea why the slideshow is even trying to fetch thumbnails since they are not being displayed in this slideshow. The user reports that the gallery slideshow has the same problem.

Here's the thread of their original report:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1061375#post1061375

This problem seems 100% reproducible to me.
    Thx John - I gave this directly to Doc & Shiz.
  • Options
    Taylor MahaffeyTaylor Mahaffey Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2009
    Banner Not Working
    My Custom banner is not working. My website is www.taylormahaffey.com.

When I log in, I can see the banner fine, in Visitor view it works great too. But on anyone elses computer when they go to www.taylormahaffey.com, there is no banner. Everything else is great. Just the big black empty space!!

thanks for any info.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    Taylor, you have your gallery that houses the banner passworded. You can leave it unlisted but you need to remove the password. Passwords break banners as does hiding the image.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Taylor MahaffeyTaylor Mahaffey Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Taylor, you have your gallery that houses the banner passworded. You can leave it unlisted but you need to remove the password. Passwords break banners as does hiding the image.

It worked. Great first experiance with DGRIN. Thanks!
  • Options
    nuklmeiernuklmeier Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2009
    galleries gone
    Hi, noob here...
    I noticed today that my galleries page is gone if I'm not logged in. Also, while in a subgallery, if I click "klicken" it used to take me back to the galleries page but since its gone I end up on the home page. "galleries" on my navbar also just going to home page.

I dont remember changing any of my customizations since yesterday - is it me or a bug?
    thanks!

klicken.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2009
    Your site is loading fine for me. I can see a couple different browsers that you have used on your site. Can you tell me what browser you are using and what internet security application you may be running?
    SmugMug Support Hero
This discussion has been closed.