Options

SmugMug soft launches Bay Photo integration

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    For those intrigued by this photo, I found it in his gallery at http://aktse.smugmug.com/gallery/4176545_57r7u#243981562_i2o9c.

*cough*

*her* mwink.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    SandRazorSandRazor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    k, everyone should be fixed. If you're still seeing problems, lemme know.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know if I notice anything else out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Wow!
    Wow, wow & wow!!!

Firstly I placed my order from Bay Photos on Thursday last week and only five days later (including weekend) I recevied my parcel all the way down here in Australia (using standard international economy).

I ordered about prints all in metallic and of note my 20" x 30" plus 30" x 10" were just amazing. The metallic prints are like nothing I have seen before.

This will not be my last order through the pro lab. Now all I need are more size options for panoramic (3:1 ratio) prints and I will be a happy man.

BTW - It did take me at least five minutes to get through all the layers of packaging.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    Ferguson wrote:
    The question is why Bay cares what the subject matter or artistic quality is? It's not a rhetorical question, I can think of possible reasons, but am really interested in the rationale here.
    I haven't checked with them about the answer to this question, so I can't speak with authority, but here's what I guess until I hear otherwise.

Their color correction team seemed to be a little bit tentative about fine art & landscapes because the intent and taste of the artist is so hard to know. I have seen many landscape shots when I tour their labs so they definitely get many prints like that, but whenever I submitted one to them and watched them correct it, they expressed some doubt about what the photographer was looking for (I took them some reprints that I didn't shoot).

Also, they like to get to know the photographer so they know what their style and tastes are. That's easier to do with wedding photogs because they are so high volume.
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    I haven't checked with them about the answer to this question, so I can't speak with authority, but here's what I guess until I hear otherwise.

Their color correction team seemed to be a little bit tentative about fine art & landscapes because the intent and taste of the artist is so hard to know. I have seen many landscape shots when I tour their labs so they definitely get many prints like that, but whenever I submitted one to them and watched them correct it, they expressed some doubt about what the photographer was looking for (I took them some reprints that I didn't shoot).

Also, they like to get to know the photographer so they know what their style and tastes are. That's easier to do with wedding photogs because they are so high volume.

So will they touch landscape shots at all? All I shoot are landscape so there is no point paying for color correction services if they are not going to do anything.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Their color correction team seemed to be a little bit tentative about fine art & landscapes because the intent and taste of the artist is so hard to know.

I can understand that aspect. Do most people doing art and landscape seriously (as opposed to weddings or portraits) expect their lab to correct colors?

I do this for fun, not profit, so I have no idea what the real world does. But from my perspective I want it printed as I produce it, not "fixed". While fixed may be better, it wouldn't be mine.

Again -- no slight to those looking for more efficient or effective way to turn out product.

Out of curiousity, any idea how often pros and power users select true color vs. color correction now with ez-prints?

PS. Again, not complaining, just curious.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    So will they touch landscape shots at all? All I shoot are landscape so there is no point paying for color correction services if they are not going to do anything.
    Yup, they will, if you ask them to. But if you do the work yourself, then just choose no color correction.
  • Options
    inkmantpainkmantpa Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I can definitely see where the lab would be hesitant to color correct art and landscape type photos. The examples below should be good illustration.

The photo below is color corrected by me on a calibrated monitor. most people would not expect a shot of a diver underwater to have so many reds, oranges and yellows. This is due to the nature of the location where the photo was shot and the tannic river water that is over this cave. The photo looks this way on purpose. I'm not sure that most people would have any idea what color correction was needed for this photo.

438488931_j7EF2-M.jpg

This next shot was taken in a cave known as Blue Hole or Jug Hole. The intent of the photo is to push the blues a bit, as this is what this site is known for, the Blue that is caused by the light coming from the surface in combination of the material of the cave. If someone who didn't know this tried to color correct, I'm sure they would try to remove some of the blue.

387047631_yqDB5-L.jpg

In both cases, there is no way I'd want anyone touching the color on these. I'm sure they would do a great job with people, but this type of shot would likely be destroyed without the knowledge of the sites, and the unique nature of the subject matter.
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    If we select colour correction through Bay, and they decide not to touch the image, will they at least set it up so that it looks great on the printer it's going to be printed on?

Also, will they do this for non-colour corrected images? Meaning will they make it so it'll match the printer.

That may not be very clear, but I'm not sure how to word it better.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Our newest sorcerer is here with us this week and he's champing at the bit to get started on packages. Coupons have been with one of the two sorcerers working on the Bay integration (bigwebguy) and the plan is for him to get back on them soon. More as we know it.

Hi Andy

This site has fantastic packages.
    http://http://www.tlpoppaphotography.com/mp_client/pictures.asp

I emailed the photographer and she uses

http://morephotos.com/

company

Are you going to develop something like that?

Christine
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    We did receive one last week that was damaged despite all the packaging, and our address is just over the hill from Bay Photo... It looked like something very heavy had shifted in the UPS truck and managed to fold it.

Sigh. :cry And USPS supper cheap shipping, is still USPS supper cheap shipping. Even though Bay uses MUCH thicker and sturdier folders, USPS still manages to mutilate them occasionally. I just got one with a horid hook shaped bend in one end of it, the large print inside is ruined. The smaller prints in it are all fine though. Out of the couple dozen USPS deliveries I've had from Bay during the course of testing, this is the first one that's had any serious damage to the package, and the first one that's had any damage at all on the print.

My wife just asked "why do you keep choosing USPS when you know those gorillas do that??" headscratch.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    nyteshadenyteshade Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Packages
    TCS wrote:
    Hi Andy

This site has fantastic packages.
    http://http://www.tlpoppaphotography.com/mp_client/pictures.asp

I emailed the photographer and she uses

http://morephotos.com/

company

Are you going to develop something like that?

Christine

Hi Christine, my name is Gabe. I am the "newest sorcerer" that Andy was referring to. I hope to offer a packages interface that allows you to do all that and more. The user interface should be much much easier to use as well. :)

I look forward to hearing what you think once it ships.

Cheers
    Gabriel Harrison
    SmugMug Sourcerer
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    nyteshade wrote:
    Hi Christine, my name is Gabe. I am the "newest sorcerer" that Andy was referring to. I hope to offer a packages interface that allows you to do all that and more. The user interface should be much much easier to use as well. :)

Cheers

Hi Gabe

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

Christine
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    nyteshade wrote:

Cheers

Hi Gabe

Any hint on when it should start to be ready?

Christine
  • Options
    nyteshadenyteshade Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    Hi Gabe

Any hint on when it should start to be ready?

Christine

I appreciate your enthusiasm. :) However, you must be a bit more patient. We're only in the beginning stages of this feature. As we get closer to a release, I'm sure you'll hear more about it. For now, you'll just have to wait.

Gabe
    Gabriel Harrison
    SmugMug Sourcerer
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Question between EZ Prints and Bay Photo
    I'm trying to grasp the difference in using either of these print options. I've read thru most of this thread and from what I am gathering, the main advantage of using Bay Photo over EZ Prints is they do personal color corrections?? Is this correct??

If I or anyone opts not to do the collr correction, is there any real difference between a 8x10 Luster print from either company??

I shoot mainly sports, but do offer some portrait work (which is starting to grow). I have never done Auto Adjustments with EZ Prints since I'm using a calibrated monitor and all the test images I have ever ordered come back 99.9% of what I see on my monitor so I'm extremely more comfortable having my prints printed without adjustments.

Now SM is offering Bay Photo......if I don't use their adjustments....is there any advantage over EZ Prints?? I'm just trying to determine if there is any reason for me to make a switch in printers offered. Sports images are more about pricing so the lower my cost the bettter. Portrait work is a bit different and if the paper quality is better with Bay Photo, I would see it being advantagous to use Bay Photo for the Portrait work (especially since they offer some different products) and EZ prints for sports. BUT....if Bay Photo's Luster prints are just BETTER than EZ Prints - I'd be willing to take the hit on my cost for a better end product - for Portrait and Sports images.

Second question is about ordering sample.
    I prefer to order sample images of my own images. I want to order a few different images from both EZ Prints and Bay Photo (sports and portrait). One with adjustments, one without adjustments and in different finishes. Is there an easy way to do this? Is this something I need to contact the SM help desk with or do I need to just place mutliple orders with each company (which then I would have multiple shipping charges).

...oh and to add one more item, is SM going to add to their "Products" page anywhere explaining about the new product from Bay Photo??
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg#Prints

Thanks for all the Great Work and improvements at SMclap.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2009
    I'm trying to grasp the difference in using either of these print options. I've read thru most of this thread and from what I am gathering, the main advantage of using Bay Photo over EZ Prints is they do personal color corrections?? Is this correct??
    More and different products. A true professional's lab for years and years. Hand color correction. More robust packaging.

If I or anyone opts not to do the collr correction, is there any real difference between a 8x10 Luster print from either company??
    Likely not. Same paper, similar machines, etc etc.

I shoot mainly sports, but do offer some portrait work (which is starting to grow). I have never done Auto Adjustments with EZ Prints since I'm using a calibrated monitor and all the test images I have ever ordered come back 99.9% of what I see on my monitor so I'm extremely more comfortable having my prints printed without adjustments.

Now SM is offering Bay Photo......if I don't use their adjustments....is there any advantage over EZ Prints?? I'm just trying to determine if there is any reason for me to make a switch in printers offered. Sports images are more about pricing so the lower my cost the bettter. Portrait work is a bit different and if the paper quality is better with Bay Photo, I would see it being advantagous to use Bay Photo for the Portrait work (especially since they offer some different products) and EZ prints for sports. BUT....if Bay Photo's Luster prints are just BETTER than EZ Prints - I'd be willing to take the hit on my cost for a better end product - for Portrait and Sports images.
    There are more paper options with Bay Photo as well. And soon, mounting options (gator, foam, standouts, more).

Second question is about ordering sample.
    I prefer to order sample images of my own images. I want to order a few different images from both EZ Prints and Bay Photo (sports and portrait). One with adjustments, one without adjustments and in different finishes. Is there an easy way to do this? Is this something I need to contact the SM help desk with or do I need to just place mutliple orders with each company (which then I would have multiple shipping charges).

Thanks for all the Great Work and improvements at SMclap.gif
    Michael
    Write the help desk, ATTN: Andy
  • Options
    jmarkworth1jmarkworth1 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    First order - excellent results
    Excellent, excellent, excellent...

wings.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Any restrictions, at either lab, on shipping destinations? Both ship to all international addresses?
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Any restrictions, at either lab, on shipping destinations? Both ship to all international addresses?
    All? Well, within reason and accepted terms of trade, yes. We'll be shocked if we can't ship to you thumb.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We'll be shocked if we can't ship to you thumb.gif

Wouldn't want that!!:D
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    TizzyTizzy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2009
    Thanks Smugmug! I was considering moving sites to be able to use Bay for my printing. Now I don't have to! clap.gif

Just one question, will you be offering press printed products through Bay at anytime in the near future?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    Tizzy wrote:
    Thanks Smugmug! I was considering moving sites to be able to use Bay for my printing. Now I don't have to! clap.gif

Just one question, will you be offering press printed products through Bay at anytime in the near future?

Thanks again!
    We expect to, in the future, yes.
  • Options
    rwmjrwmj Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Bay Photo is great
    Andy wrote:
    Sure, anything's possible, but right now, at this moment, the new professional lab is available to professional subscribers only.

I just got back a first order of some 11x14 prints from Bay Photo - I chose the color correction option as I did not get my Elements software to accept their downloaded profile for softproofing and I was short on time for working through this process. Since there were no skin tones to use as reference the exposure adjustment was perhaps more problematic. Don't have a smugmug professional account so I ordered directly. I got terrific service and product from start to finish, email support before ordering, quick turnaround of 3 days with no extra shipping charge, and good color on all prints - one seemed a bit overexposed to me and there was an immediate response to make the adjustment when requested.

I will certainly be using them again.

Roy
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    rwmj wrote:
    as I did not get my Elements software to accept their downloaded profile for softproofing

Such profiles for soft proofing only work with full photoshop, like CS2, CS3, CS4....

Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    tjskytjsky Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I've just read through the entire thread, and I gotta say that I am very excited about this new integration with Bay Photo thumb.gif I have only recently set up my site to use SmugMug's print services, and I have to say while the print quality with EZ was very good, I really did not like the way prints were packaged for shipping. Bay Photo changes all that! And, with the promise of more products and features in the future, it seems too good to be true! I have switched all my galleries over to use Bay Photo. I just have one question.... when setting up my pricing, there is no option for a 12x18 print size, which I thought was odd. Just about every other size seems to be there, but 12x18 is missing. This has been a very popular size for me, and I am surprised to see it missing from my pricing options. It leaves a bit of a gap to jump from 8x12 to 16x24 (in keeping with the aspect ratio of the files from my Canon 40D). Any chance that print size could be included? I checked on Bay Photo's site, and it is a print size that they have listed on their "Standard Sizes". Apart from that little gripe, I am loving, LOVING this new feature! Thanks SmugMug!
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Prints
    tjsky wrote:
    I have switched all my galleries over to use Bay Photo. I just have one question.... when setting up my pricing

I too switched all my galleries over to Bay photo since they offered all the same print sizes as EZ prints plus the added watercolor print options. Without the cost of the Adjustments, the pricing between the two companies is almost identical....so I was wondering if the adjustments would be worth it....so.....

I order some test prints from both companies and will post my finding here once I receive all the prints as I am sure many others are wondering the same.

What I ordered:
    I used 4 identical prints - 2 action sports images and 2 portrait images.
    I ordered a set of Luster prints (4 total) and a set of Metallic prints (4 total) - a set of each without adjustments and a set of prints with adjustments - I did this for EZ Prints and Bay Photo.

I'm hoping I have my Bat Photo prints tomorrow and will followup with my findings.

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    tjsky wrote:
    but 12x18 is missing.
    I hope to be adding these at the end of this week. Sorry!
  • Options
    tjskytjsky Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I hope to be adding these at the end of this week. Sorry!

Thanks, Andy! Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    BayPhoto Pricing
    Hi-

Posted this in another thead - even Allen's suggestion didn't fix it (that never happens). Could one of you pro types take a look at my pricing problem and perhaps suggest a solution. See original thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1044331#post1044331

Also, glad I found out that BayPhoto is a soft launch. I was thinking I just hadn't been paying attention and missed something big (much personal angst).

Also, very glad we now have a west coast printer. Any chance you could add foamboard, standout mounts or Colorplak type items? I noticed that BayPhoto has them on their own web site.

Thanks!