Options

Bare bones equipment for weddings/portraits, the role of "second shooter"

Comments

• Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Why no DIY and why a tripod
    First off, I totally respect all the DIYers in the group, and say more power to ya. I've decided against DIY personally and gone with the Fong b/c: I'm not particularly good at DIY and don't want it to fall apart or look unprofessional, a lot of PMers have recc'd it plus it's only $30, so in the whole skeme of things, inexpensive. It is seems easy to use so that will help with my whole learning curve-- if I want to get more artistic and fancy later, I can.

I'm thinking I'd need a tripod for the posed family portraits and that I could always use it for my nature shots, which is what I'm doing most now anyway. I don't have the highest quality equipment, so perhaps the tripod would be needed(?) I don't know, really.

With the equipment I'm getting, how many batts do you suggest? I'm talking flash and camera. I have rechargable, but don't really want to be re-charging during the event unless I'd absolutely have to.
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I'm thinking I'd need a tripod for the posed family portraits and that I could always use it for my nature shots, which is what I'm doing most now anyway. I don't have the highest quality equipment, so perhaps the tripod would be needed(?) I don't know, really.

You don't really need a tripod for wedding photography. It's great for your outdoor stuff, pano's. If you want the camera in the exact same spot every single time with the same background, just switching out people, then you'll need a tripod for that, but that's unlikely. If you get a tripod, get a good one, bring it outdoors, but not to a wedding. I've used mine a couple times at a wedding, for the "stuff" shots in a dark room, I've done a couple motion blurrs of the dance floor, none of which I actually kept. There are some uses for a tripod at a wedding, just not many. So I'd rather see you're money going into the stuff you WILL need at EVERY wedding ALL the time.
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    First off, I totally respect all the DIYers in the group, and say more power to ya. I've decided against DIY personally and gone with the Fong b/c: I'm not particularly good at DIY and don't want it to fall apart or look unprofessional, a lot of PMers have recc'd it plus it's only $30, so in the whole skeme of things, inexpensive. It is seems easy to use so that will help with my whole learning curve-- if I want to get more artistic and fancy later, I can.

With the equipment I'm getting, how many batts do you suggest? I'm talking flash and camera. I have rechargable, but don't really want to be re-charging during the event unless I'd absolutely have to.

Tripods are a bearer at a wedding...if you are wanting one to keep the camera still at lower shutter speeds in a dark room or whatever, I would look into a monopod...this is alot easier to move and you do not need as much floor space...

As for batteries...you need alot...your flash is going to eat them! Also by good quality rechareables...I rock sanyo enelopes...but power ex get good reviews as well...just ebay either...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Look into the 'light on a stick' method (search the dgrin forums for info on this) for lighting thumb.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    no tripod, used batts?
    Ok-- so nix the tripod, unless for nature shots or low light effect try a monopod... got it. Thansk :)

As far as re-chargables, I have heard that they loose their effectiveness over time, so if that is the case, wouldn't EBay be a bad idea? I know my canon re-charge camera bats only last for about 300 shots or so-- part of that may be leaving them in the camera for days btwn then shots, tho
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    I use a tripod for the ceremony shots and with digital thee is no film to wind so you can pretty much set the camera on the t-pod and use a wireless release to shoot all of the ceremony.....now when you want to get that intimate flash less, lit by candles only shots ofthe bride and groom a t-pod is mandatory.....I have had these shots take up to 10 seconds.....I do not like pusing my iso up real high either...so if I start a wedding at iso 64 it will be finished at 64 ....but since most dslrs lowest iso is 100 or 200 then that would be my way of doing it....of course when I use film I do not switch from 50 or 100 in the middle of a shoot and go to 400 or 1600......unless of course the shoot requires grain.......

But I guess after carrying one for over 25+ yrs it is sorta like my best friend....it has never left me needing to be steadier.............

Batteries: rechargables do die a sort of funny death.....since over 99% of them have no memory and can be recharged without consequence at any point....their life expectancy is based on how many times you recharge the batteries......so even if the battery is only 1/3 low that is still one recharge....so if the life expectancy is 100 recharges or 500 you can quickly kill fairly new batteries......again from experience.......I have killed a few prematurely ............

I am not trying to get into a pro - con tripod argument but the 2 items I carry at all times that have saved my behind more than once is my tripod and my lightmeter......I do have a monopod and it works great until I have to be steady for 5 or 10 seconds for those candle only lit shots....then I tend to sway front to back.....with a tripod set up shot..... push remote trigger and it is done.... captured no shake or softness from miniscule vibration or swaying.........

Borrow both and try setting up shots at home as in a wedding....as far as lighting goes.......if you are able to work off a monopod then that is your route to take.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    As someone who has been building on a budget, here are my recomendations. (I didn't read all 7 pages so sorry if some of this is mentioned.)

Skip or save for last the light meter and tripod for wedding and portrait use. In fact I tried my tripod once for portraits and I couldn't stand it. I have used a tripod at a wedding but really just to hold up the second camera.

First things to buy would be Lens, Flash bracket, and Flash.

This isn't one of the better made brackets but I like the features which I don't see anywhere else: http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=298&products_id=2973&zenid=f39d9b2d28d3ed702ae1fcefcd3cd8aa

This is my go to lens. I love it so much I have two of them. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0000A1G05/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238593643&sr=8-1

For the flash, you can decide on going with the canon line, or follow strobist recomendations and get $100 flashes. He claims they have the same power, just not the fancy electronics. (The fancy electronics don't matter if you are using pocketwizards or other radio triggers). I have all 580's but if I was starting again, I would reconsider since the other flashes are 1/3 of the price.

For radio triggers I use the ones made by alienbees. They work perfect and come with all kinds of adapter cables. Plus I can keep my transmitter on top of the camera while in the bracket without interfereing.

I've bought the ultra portable flash stands and umbrellas recommended by strobist too. I like to keep things smaller.

Use the rechargeable AAs. They save you tons of money (I would go through 24 alkalines in a day), They cycle the flashes faster, And They last longer. I get the kodak Pre-Charged batteries. They use technology like the Enelopes so they don't drain when not used. They are white with yellow tops and can be had at walmart for under $10. Kodak's older batteries look the same but grey instead of white. They also don't say Pre-charged on the package. Don't get a 15 minute charger, they eat batteries. I use a 1 hour charger but some people don't recommend those either. I've not had any problems.

Finally, I love my Domke F series bag because I can switch lenses quickly with it, it holds more than it looks like, and its feels good to me.

John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    my order is coming in
    ne_nau.gif My order is starting to come in but I am sooo disappointed with the tamron lens-- it is just about the same quality as my factory lens. i think something is wrong b/c the clarity is poor. I looked on line and it looks like other people had similar stories, but that they have a great return policy, so it's going back. --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Hey JohnBiggs,

What can the Domke F carry? Would it be able to carry a body, 70-200, 24-70, macro, and a external flash?

Yah good idea, returning the Tamron, hopefully the next one is better!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    As someone who has been building on a budget, here are my recomendations. (I didn't read all 7 pages so sorry if some of this is mentioned.)

Skip or save for last the light meter and tripod for wedding and portrait use. In fact I tried my tripod once for portraits and I couldn't stand it. I have used a tripod at a wedding but really just to hold up the second camera.

First things to buy would be Lens, Flash bracket, and Flash.

This isn't one of the better made brackets but I like the features which I don't see anywhere else: http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=298&products_id=2973&zenid=f39d9b2d28d3ed702ae1fcefcd3cd8aa

The DotLine is a copy of the ALZO same as in my FOR SALE THREAD
    361361690_QdAih-L.jpg

This is my go to lens. I love it so much I have two of them. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Aspherical-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0000A1G05/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238593643&sr=8-1

on a crop body I find even my siggy 24-70 is not wide enough for a lot of shots especially for groups of people......one of the 17-50f2.8 or 17-70 variable aperture would be my choice.........

For the flash, you can decide on going with the canon line, or follow strobist recomendations and get $100 flashes. He claims they have the same power, just not the fancy electronics. (The fancy electronics don't matter if you are using pocketwizards or other radio triggers). I have all 580's but if I was starting again, I would reconsider since the other flashes are 1/3 of the price.

going with the vivatars is okay as long as you do not sit it atop the cam on the hot shoe even the new ones have to high a trigger voltage....as stated above they have quite a bit of power (gn 120) so for slave triggering they are very good.

For radio triggers I use the ones made by alienbees. They work perfect and come with all kinds of adapter cables. Plus I can keep my transmitter on top of the camera while in the bracket without interfereing.

lots of use use different ones I like my very inexpensive ebay RD616 from photogearok....you have 16 channels to work with and they have yet to fail me for around $20/set

Use the rechargeable AAs.

I agree....rechargeables save tons of money....I have always been a DURACELL man myself

John

look above in bold
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    ne_nau.gif My order is starting to come in but I am sooo disappointed with the tamron lens-- it is just about the same quality as my factory lens. i think something is wrong b/c the clarity is poor. I looked on line and it looks like other people had similar stories, but that they have a great return policy, so it's going back. --Lisa

I am sorry you got a bad copy....that really sucks.....

• Options
    edited April 5, 2009
    on second thought
    Our tax deduction just came in and if I use it I would be able to purchase the Canon version (17-55mm 2.8). It costs more than twice as much, but so many of you had recc'd it before... maybe I should return the Tamron without getting a replacement Tammy(?)
    --Lisa
    PS: I just can't imagine having such expensive stuff-- a $1,000 lens, wow
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Our tax deduction just came in and if I use it I would be able to purchase the Canon version (17-55mm 2.8). It costs more than twice as much, but so many of you had recc'd it before... maybe I should return the Tamron without getting a replacement Tammy(?)
    --Lisa

Mount it to that XT, and you will see why it was rec'd, and that it's worth every penny. It's a great piece of glass.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Hey JohnBiggs,

What can the Domke F carry? Would it be able to carry a body, 70-200, 24-70, macro, and a external flash?

Yah good idea, returning the Tamron, hopefully the next one is better!

I can fit all of that. But the way the bag is designed you can't keep the lens attached. I found out a while ago that keeping the camera in the bag is just bad policy. I always have it out with the lens on.

Basically in the domke, I have fit 100-400, 70-200 2.8 IS, 10-22, 3 580s, and much more.

Here is an impressive blog post on packing the domke. I've always considered it a bag of holding, but this guy has it down to a science.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/01/packing-light-for-central-america.html
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    --Lisa

Sorry to see you go. The Tamrons have been wonderful for me.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    The DotLine is a copy of the ALZO same as in my FOR SALE THREAD
    361361690_QdAih-L.jpg

I don't see the trigger release built into it. It does look identical but I wouldn't use this one without that release built onto the handle.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Tamron return
    I haven't decided to purchase the Canon yet, but I am returning this Tamron and asking for a replacement. If the replacement isn't great I will buy the Canon. --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009

At the risk of sounding like some elitest jerk; 1k for a pro-quality lens isn't that much. Prepare to spend much more on many more lenses as you grow in your business (luckily, high quality photographic gear lasts a long time, so we don't need to do it very often... ;0) )
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    formform Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I wasn't impressed with the Tamron 17-50 at any point; CA and corner image quality were both worse than the Tamron 28-75. I returned the 17-50. If I was still a crop sensor-only user I might have gotten a Canon 17-55 by now. The IS would be useful and the optics are probably better in the corners - and I know the AF is lots better. No Tamron lens can do AF like the Canon USM version.

I now own 4 lenses that go for over $1k new; wedding photography is an expensive business/hobby. You really should've gotten the Canon 17-55 about 1-3 months ago, it was available for around $850 or so if I remember correctly.

I never was a bracket fan; on-camera flash for me is solely for bouncing, so as long as I can point the flash where I want it to strike I'm good.

I like the Sanyo Powerex 2700mah and used to like the Energizer 2500mah batteries (before they were downgraded to 2450mah). They have been lasting me a very long time and I'm probably tough on them; I use a 15-minute charger in the middle of the wedding.
    Las Vegas wedding photographer: http://www.joeyallenphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    I think I may be getting side tracked but oooo another lens
    My intention is to purchase a fast primary lens (if I'm using the termonolgy correctly)-- what I want is something that can be on my camera all the time b/c it works well in just about any situation, and can produce excellent results quickly and in low light.

My best bet might still be the Tamron if they sent me one of much higher quality, or the Canon 17-55 now that I can afford it. What is a "crop sensor only" I don't know if that would apply to me at all.
    Ok, speaking of missed opps for used gear...

USED: Canon Ef 70-200 2.8l Usm *77 W/hd,cs

I'm not sure that it would fit my requiremnt for a primary, as it looks like you have to be about 5 feet away from subjects at all times or it won't be able to focus.

this seems like an excellent value for something with only cosmetic dings. It doesn't appear to have image stabilization, which I'm hoping wouldn't tie me down to a tripod. The new version is a little over twice as much and has image stabilization.

Also, and I know this is small and silly, but why the white-- doesn't that jump out and draw attention rather than letting photogs disappear into the background-- isn't it bad enough that we have moster bright flashes!?!

I also want to knwo about the warrenty situation-- would saving all this money by buying used = no warrenty. I'm not a huge risk taker and that has served me very well in this hobby.

(I haven't ever bought more than I can afford on my profits and in under 3 years have gone from a point and shoot entering pics in the county fair to an EOS, 20 matted framed prints and 100 notecards of inventory paid for, canon macro lens, tent set-up for arts festivals, and smugmug pro site.)

Thoughts anyone?

,bx
    Condition: V how we rate
    Mfr. Part: 2569A004 SKU: US 334703

US_EOZ7020028L.JPG
    ******** src="http://content.webcollage.net/adorama/smart-button"></**************** src="http://content.webcollage.net/_sites/adorama/smart-button/index.jsp?sku=US 334703&amp;wccgsite=adorama&amp;wccgfunc=smart-button&quot;&gt;&lt;/********&lt;TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>shim.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bomessage></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>shim.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>shim.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=DescText vAlign=top>Description $814

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=longdesc>One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    choices
    ne_nau.gif
    What I'm returning for a second copy and maybe for good:
    Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) $440

What I'm favoring:
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens for for 40D, 30D, 20D, & Digital Rebel Cameras Only - U.S.A.Warranty $1,030

A slight consideration:
    Condition according to adorama:
    Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality. $814
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    ne_nau.gif
    What I'm returning for a second copy and maybe for good:
    Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) $440

What I'm favoring:
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens for for 40D, 30D, 20D, & Digital Rebel Cameras Only - U.S.A.Warranty $1,030

A slight consideration:

Condition according to adorama:
    Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.

Hopefully your next tamron will be as good as it should be. as far as the 70-200 I would wait and save for the IS version.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    (re: 70-200) Thoughts anyone?

You should get one at some point. Perhaps not this one, (you'd want IS) but you'll need something that gets you in there further than the 70 or 55mm you are currently looking at.

There is a reason a 70-200 is in almost every pro's bag. It's an amazingly useful lens.
    [/quote]
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Sorry to hear you got a bad copy of the Tamron - I absolutely love mine.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    70-200 will get most of its use during a ceremony where you may want extra distance or need to aim at several distant locations quickly and follow the subjects with zoom. The main lens for weddings is the standard zoom, though some may prefer primes.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    As I said, I use my 28-75 for 99% of my shots. I'll pull out the 10-22 at a few key points or my 70-200 IS for others. After that I slap the 28-75 back on.

I'm also a fan of the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8. If you can't afford the IS yet, this is a good choice. It's actually sharper than the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS.

The only thing I have against the Tamron is I wouldn't mind having the speed of USM. But is that worth paying more than twice as much? I don't know.

John
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    As I said, I use my 28-75 for 99% of my shots. I'll pull out the 10-22 at a few key points or my 70-200 IS for others. After that I slap the 28-75 back on.

I'm also a fan of the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8. If you can't afford the IS yet, this is a good choice. It's actually sharper than the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS.

The only thing I have against the Tamron is I wouldn't mind having the speed of USM. But is that worth paying more than twice as much? I don't know.

John

For crop sensor the ideal wedding zoom list to me would be Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55 IS, and Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Combine with a fast prime or two between 24mm and 85mm and it would be an excellent, do-anything setup.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    a lens that is on your camera for most wedding shots
    John gave me a good idea. What is the lens that you typically have on your camera during a wedding?

Sure you might use a macro for the rings and boquet or a zoom during the ceremony, but what is on your camera most of the time? I'm assuming your answer will be a "fast prime" (if I'm understanding it correctly as being a primary lens that is fast and good in low light) What specifically?
    mwink.gif --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:

John

Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon EOS - U.S.A. Warranty $400 new

Canon EF-S 10mm - 22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus Zoom Lens for EOS 20D and Digital Rebel Cameras - U.S.A. Warranty. $700 new

Tamron 70 - 200mm f/2.8 DI LD (IF) Macro, Fast AF Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon EOS - USA Warranty $700 new

Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    John gave me a good idea. What is the lens that you typically have on your camera during a wedding?

Sure you might use a macro for the rings and boquet or a zoom during the ceremony, but what is on your camera most of the time? I'm assuming your answer will be a "fast prime" (if I'm understanding it correctly as being a primary lens that is fast and good in low light) What specifically?
    mwink.gif --Lisa

This depends entirely on your style of shooting. Between my wife (second shooter) an I

17-50 2.8 her 60% me 10%
    70-200 2.8 IS her 35% me 45%
    10-22 her 5% me 45%

Everyone shoots different. I could be doing it completely wrong. Probably are, but it works well for us. This year we have some new equipment so things may change.