Options

Photo View Count - SmugMug Stats being upgraded

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    The biggest issue at this point is that we are not being informed of what is happening.

I have been posting :D And we have this update on our stats page:

SmugMug statistics are getting a much needed overhaul with some exciting new features. As a result, statistics aren't up-to-the-second currently while we finish our work. We're still tracking all your hits, it just may take a little longer for them to show up here in your graphs.

You all want to know when - but we can't and don't pre-announce dates and such. But it's being worked on now. Thanks.
  • Options
    hspooner2000hspooner2000 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I have been posting :D And we have this update on our stats page:

SmugMug statistics are getting a much needed overhaul with some exciting new features. As a result, statistics aren't up-to-the-second currently while we finish our work. We're still tracking all your hits, it just may take a little longer for them to show up here in your graphs.

You all want to know when - but we can't and don't pre-announce dates and such. But it's being worked on now. Thanks.
    Andy,
    With all due respect, not wishing to pre-announce dates of features is one thing, but removing the functionality of a relied on feature without warning is totally another. Look at the many folks who have had their first post on this thread. It meant enough for them to join the service just to make their opinion know.
    I also agree that this was handled extremely poorly.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Andy,
    With all due respect, not wishing to pre-announce dates of features is one thing, but removing the functionality of a relied on feature without warning is totally another. Look at the many folks who have had their first post on this thread. It meant enough for them to join the service just to make their opinion know.
    I also agree that this was handled extremely poorly.
    Harry
    I wish this could be done differently, but in order to improve them, stats had to be handled this way. They'll be better and stronger.
  • Options
    omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I wish this could be done differently, but in order to improve them, stats had to be handled this way. They'll be better and stronger.

They are actually so poor now that I don't even mind their abscence, i'm being warmed by the thought they will improve soon :)
  • Options
    l4pil4pi Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I wish this could be done differently,

I believe the point your customers are making is that it could have been handled differently. Smugmug has everyone's email address. A simple informative email to the customer base explaining what the plans are or at least the intent was before the change was made would have gone a long way. As you stated in this thread, this came up suddenly, (which btw make folks like me wonder why so suddenly) but a simple email would have been a more professional and appreciated approach to take.

I watch the stats every day, especially when I'm loading multiple new galleries, but this is not the end of the world. We will all live until the stats come back up.

just my two cents.

Now to the big question....when are they coming back up....:D
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Stat counter upgrade
    I see that you're upgrading that stat counter. clap.gif

Any idea when it should be up and running?

Thanks
  • Options
    theoptimizerstheoptimizers Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    I see that you're upgrading that stat counter. clap.gif

Any idea when it should be up and running?

Thanks

To paraphrase Andy's responses to various instances of this question, the answer is...

No.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:

While we wait for The Great Stat Counter who rises out of the pumpkin patch delivering stats to all the boys and girls, I wonder if you could tell us what is the basis for the teeny stat updates we've seen in the last couple of days. I've seen a trickle of activity, that when compared to Google Analytics should account for about 5 mins during the past few days.

I guess I'm asking approximately what moment in time is the current set of stats frozen at?

Thanks,

Cass
  • Options
    BucsterBucster Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2009
    I have been with SM for a short while now and I do appreciate the constant upgrades and excellent communication from them, even though getting info on release dates and details is about as easy as getting info from apple.

I would like to know what the upgrades are going to be though.
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    One thing comes to my mind about the current situation.....

As its been stated, stats are being tracked but there might be a delay in their appearance on our Stats page. When the 1st of the month comes, all the DETAIL stats are gone & no longer viewable (only the aggregates for each gallery).

Am I correct to assume that we will probably "lose" any photo stats during the last few days of this month, given the current situation?

Thanks-

Steve
  • Options
    LongjackLongjack Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I have to say that I too have been impressed with Smugmug's response to my questions in the past.
    However, perhaps that's why I find this situation regarding stats tracking overhaul (such as no notice or advance warning) and the failure or (REFUSAL ???) to provide any estimated date of completion to be out of character and very poor in terms of customer service.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Am I correct to assume that we will probably "lose" any photo stats during the last few days of this month, given the current situation?
    No, not correct.
  • Options
    LCKatMPNLCKatMPN Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No, not correct.

Wouldn't you know I've got some meetings lined up this week with potential sponsors/partners who want to see some numbers (evidence of growth) and this is my best month to date and I can't get a handle on it that is consistent with past-month statistics. Or can I? Meetings are set for Wed and Thurs.; is there a chance Photo View counter will be fully operational by then? I see some views are coming through, but definitely not the full count. Is it possible for me to get an updated count via email? Probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask. I'm using Google Analytics as well and, frankly, selling the community, not the technology; the coverage, not the numbers; but nevertheless there is a request to show some evidence of trending growth, so there you have it. In the meantime, I am working without Photo View counts, and plan to meet without them, but if this is something that will be available early in the week, then maybe I don't have to, so a heads-up would be nice. More important, though, would be for me to know if there will even be a count that compares today's apples to yesterday's apples; will there be a consistency in how you will count, and have been counting, "unique views" per page view, for example. Thanks again (and for your patience), Linda (www.MyPaperNow.com)
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2009
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    Wouldn't you know I've got some meetings lined up this week with potential sponsors/partners who want to see some numbers (evidence of growth) and this is my best month to date and I can't get a handle on it that is consistent with past-month statistics. Or can I? Meetings are set for Wed and Thurs.; is there a chance Photo View counter will be fully operational by then? I see some views are coming through, but definitely not the full count. Is it possible for me to get an updated count via email? Probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask. I'm using Google Analytics as well and, frankly, selling the community, not the technology; the coverage, not the numbers; but nevertheless there is a request to show some evidence of trending growth, so there you have it. In the meantime, I am working without Photo View counts, and plan to meet without them, but if this is something that will be available early in the week, then maybe I don't have to, so a heads-up would be nice. More important, though, would be for me to know if there will even be a count that compares today's apples to yesterday's apples; will there be a consistency in how you will count, and have been counting, "unique views" per page view, for example. Thanks again (and for your patience), Linda (www.MyPaperNow.com)
    Stats are fully updating, just not in the 'instant' manner that they did before. If you look at your stats today, they should be fully uptodate through yesterday.
  • Options
    LCKatMPNLCKatMPN Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Stats are fully updating, just not in the 'instant' manner that they did before. If you look at your stats today, they should be fully uptodate through yesterday.

They aren't, though.
    So I suppose that means they won't be, either.
    I appreciate the effort.
    Thanks for keeping us posted.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2009
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    They aren't, though.
    So I suppose that means they won't be, either.
    I appreciate the effort.
    Thanks for keeping us posted.
    No, not true. If you aren't getting updated daily then the stats just aren't caught-up, system-wide. Hang in there.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:

OK. Is this a temporary thing while the upgrade is in progress or will the final version be daily rather than "instant?"
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    OK. Is this a temporary thing while the upgrade is in progress or will the final version be daily rather than "instant?"
    Daily, afaik right now. More to come.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Daily, afaik right now. More to come.

Wow, this is really bad news.

I can't see what improvements could compensate for this significant degradation of the feature that was once so useful.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Wow, this is really bad news.

I can't see what improvements could compensate for this significant degradation of the feature that was once so useful.
    Aw... please have patience, hang in there! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

To be clear: stats are counting, and updating to your site once a day, or sooner.

Improvements to stats to come!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Aw... please have patience, ... Improvements to stats to come!

Hey Andy,

I have to say that I appreciate your patience with all of this ranting and moaning. It can't be easy to keep this dialogue open, when you really aren't at liberty (or aren't in a position) to say much about what is going on. So, thanks.

The only reasons I continue to post here are
    1) I want to be sure the everyone at SmugMug understands that this is important to us.
    2) If decisions are still being made regarding what the new stats will contain, you should know what's most important to us users.

I realize you can't tell us more about what or when, but please pass this along to anyone who has influence in the final product.

The immediate (or close to immediate) feedback that we used to get with the stats was EXTREMELY useful. If this is being changed so that we won't know about specific photo hits for 24 hours, this would be a major step down in functionality.

This is just so you have some feedback that might be useful.

Thanks for listening.

Cass
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hey Andy,

I have to say that I appreciate your patience with all of this ranting and moaning. It can't be easy to keep this dialogue open, when you really aren't at liberty (or aren't in a position) to say much about what is going on. So, thanks.

The only reasons I continue to post here are
    1) I want to be sure the everyone at SmugMug understands that this is important to us.
    We know! !But keep telling us, we love to hear from you :D
    2) If decisions are still being made regarding what the new stats will contain, you should know what's most important to us users.

I realize you can't tell us more about what or when, but please pass this along to anyone who has influence in the final product.

The immediate (or close to immediate) feedback that we used to get with the stats was EXTREMELY useful. If this is being changed so that we won't know about specific photo hits for 24 hours, this would be a major step down in functionality.

We're not gonna lose that. Give us some time to get a new UI built around our new stats ability and I think you'll be pleased thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We're not gonna lose that.

:whew Whew! That was scary. I feel much better now.

Now, I just have to wait to open my sporty new Christmas present! wings.gif
  • Options
    addisaddis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2009
    :whew Whew! That was scary. I feel much better now.

Now, I just have to wait to open my sporty new Christmas present! wings.gif

Do you have an idea about how much longer it will be?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Do you have an idea about how much longer it will be?
    Hello - sorry we don't give out dates for new features, I'm really sorry.
  • Options
    addisaddis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hello - sorry we don't give out dates for new features, I'm really sorry.

Thank you, Andy. I appreciate that you don't want to promise a date that you might not be able to meet. I'm not concerned about the new features, I'm just trying to get an idea about whether it will be a few hours, a few days or a few weeks before we will be able to check our stats more than once every 24 hours. Thank you, again.
  • Options
    action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    addis wrote:
    Thank you, Andy. I appreciate that you don't want to promise a date that you might not be able to meet. I'm not concerned about the new features, I'm just trying to get an idea about whether it will be a few hours, a few days or a few weeks before we will be able to check our stats more than once every 24 hours. Thank you, again.

I agree with this. I hate when someone in customer service tells me something will be done or available "shortly." What do you consider shortly or soon? The stats have been down for almost a week and half now if not longer. This a long "breakin" period for any new service. While not promising a date is fine, your programmers still have to have some idea to be able to say it will be another day or two, another week or two, etc. If they are having major problems with something, then say that and take use back to how the stats were. I know Smugmug is a large site, but deployment of something like this should not take this long. It should have been tested out ahead of time and ready to put into action within a day or two.

I'm not yelling, just stating an opinion.
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    I agree with this. I hate when someone in customer service tells me something will be done or available "shortly." What do you consider shortly or soon? The stats have been down for almost a week and half now if not longer. This a long "breakin" period for any new service. While not promising a date is fine, your programmers still have to have some idea to be able to say it will be another day or two, another week or two, etc. If they are having major problems with something, then say that and take use back to how the stats were. I know Smugmug is a large site, but deployment of something like this should not take this long. It should have been tested out ahead of time and ready to put into action within a day or two.

I'm not yelling, just stating an opinion.
    Hi, Stats aren't down any more. They update once a day, or sooner. All views are being counted.

We've built in some new features to our stats which we think everyone's gonna love. But we have to make a UI for this and that's gonna take some time, I can't say how much time but I hope it's soon. I promise that as we get news I'll share it!
  • Options
    hspooner2000hspooner2000 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, Stats aren't down any more. They update once a day, or sooner. All views are being counted.

We've built in some new features to our stats which we think everyone's gonna love. But we have to make a UI for this and that's gonna take some time, I can't say how much time but I hope it's soon. I promise that as we get news I'll share it!

Andy,
    I understand this is semantics, but this is not simply a new feature. In the process of releasing a new feature, you have broken something that was used by many.
    Today for instance I had stats showing up for a gallery which I have been following closely (at least once a day anyway). The gallery is now showing zero hits. I can not tell you how frustrating your "new feature" has become. This issue is now almost 2 weeks old.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy,
    I understand this is semantics, but this is not simply a new feature. In the process of releasing a new feature, you have broken something that was used by many.
    Today for instance I had stats showing up for a gallery which I have been following closely (at least once a day anyway). The gallery is now showing zero hits. I can not tell you how frustrating your "new feature" has become. This issue is now almost 2 weeks old.
    Harry
    Hi Harry, what gallery - can we have a link? Stats are being counted and should update every 24 hours (or less). -Th and -Ti counts are no longer counted.

ear.gif