Options

Photo View Count - SmugMug Stats being upgraded

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    as much out of curiosity as any thing...

Since the advent of the new way of counting stats, there are several galleries (too many to list/link) that show hits, but when I try to find out which images have been "hit", the number either doesn't match the stat page (eg "Redlands Utd vs Newcastle" shows 1 med and 10 large hits, but when you click on it, only the 1 med shot is indicated as "viewed"; the "Redlands AYSO Silver Bullets" gallery shows 29 large and 26 original hits, but none of the pictures are showing up to see what was actually looked at). So are the "hits" on the main summary page accurate or are the stats for the individual pages accurate. Note that at least the Silver Bullet gallery has been like this since at least the 1st of April (i.e., the individual pictures being looked at have not been updated...)

Also, do you know if Google Analytics counts your own views? Since I've been working on my galleries and making new watermarks, the unlisted watermark gallery is showing up as receiving hits.

thanks,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited April 6, 2009
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Also, do you know if Google Analytics counts your own views?
    By default, it does. However, you can customize the reporting either by IP address (if yours is fixed) or using a cookie so that it excludes your own views. Instructions are here.
  • Options
    Rick_RRick_R Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Related question to the Veiw Stats issue
    I have another question about the current View Stats issue / problem. The Photos Viewed information from the Control Panel displays one set of information (16,455 viewed with 2.17 gB used) while the Total for ALL Galleries displays a very different set set of values (30,696 viewed with 3.94 gB used). Is this correct or am I comparing two sets different views of hits to my galleries ?

On a another side note; am I correct in assuming that the current View Stats software is slightly buggy ? I have different overall values for a specific gallery than when inside that individual gallery's information.

Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards
    Rick
  • Options
    action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    The one thing that I can't figure out related to the whole stats mess is why hasn't someone said exactly what we are getting in this upgrade? I keep hearing "you'll like it", but I haven't read yet, bullet by bullet, as to what the new features will be. My thought is that the process for all of this should have went down like this:

1. Hear from Smugmug members related to new feature requests. Numerous members have requested a better stat system.

2. Smugmug powers to be sit down in a meeting and say, alright, this is what the members seem to want. Can we make this happen? How will we make this happen? What will be a timeframe (no one starts a project without a time frame in mind) and what specific items will put in this upgrade.

3. After the ideas are generated in the above meeting another meeting is scheduled with the programmers who outline what can and can't be done and what problems may arise during the process.

4. The programmers then come back and say "after looking at all of this, I think we can do this, this and this, but idea#1 can't be done.". The powers to be say, "make it so and keep us updated as to your progress".

5. At this time the Smugmug members get an email saying that "we are currently working on the following upgrade (specific items listed) and are excited to be able to bring it to by _____ (insert rough date...even if "second quarter 2009") Stayed tuned for more information.

6. Programmers are busy working away and setting up a mirror site to test and debug the new upgrade.

7. After the debugging is completed, the Smugmug members get an email saying that "in order to roll out the new (previously mentioned) upgrade to the stats system, we will have to shut down the stats tracking for a day while we plug in the new upgrade (code).

8. Members are understanding of the inconvience and are excited about the new upgrade (features of which they are already aware of).

9. Everyone is happy-:)
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    My thought is that the process for all of this should have went down like this:

I wish we could have! Our engineers took the interim step with stats, to prevent stats from blowing up completely - and now we all have stats, but updated once a day (or less). It was an emergency type situation. Our engineers and ops did what was smart and prudent. And so we have stats.

Next, we combed stats feature requests (our customers aren't shy, and email us all the time with requests, and also post them on Dgrin).. and we begin building out new stats capability.

Then, we get an engineer assigned - this is now done and work on exposing the new stuff has begun in earnest.

We don't give feature lists or dates, I'm sorry. But we hope you'll be thrilled.

7. After the debugging is completed, the Smugmug members get an email saying that "in order to roll out the new (previously mentioned) upgrade to the stats system, we will have to shut down the stats tracking for a day while we plug in the new upgrade (code).
    Be sure to subscribe to your SmugNews and also our release notes. We don't spam our customers, sorry! But we'll for sure be sending out news item for your homepage, for the login page, and we'll update Release Notes which you can subscribe to, also.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Rick_R wrote:
    I have another question about the current View Stats issue / problem. The Photos Viewed information from the Control Panel displays one set of information (16,455 viewed with 2.17 gB used) while the Total for ALL Galleries displays a very different set set of values (30,696 viewed with 3.94 gB used). Is this correct or am I comparing two sets different views of hits to my galleries ?
    Gallery stats will record multiple views of the same photo by the same person, and so might be higher (say I look at that same photo 10x in a day).

On a another side note; am I correct in assuming that the current View Stats software is slightly buggy ? I have different overall values for a specific gallery than when inside that individual gallery's information.

Regards
    Rick
    Try again?
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Quote:

Regards
    Rick
    Andy wrote:
    Try again?

Andy - I think he's referring to the same problem I mentioned... that in stats mode, the histograms show x mediums and y larges viewed w/in a given gallery, but when you click on the histogram to see which specific pictures in a given gallery were viewed at which sizes, those numers do not match up with the stat histogram (the ones where they show the thumb nail of a viewed picture along w/ which sizes its been viewed at).

Some of my galleries are correct and the histogram matches the numbers of views shown "inside" the gallery; others are way off, in one case, showing significant numbers of large and originals viewed, but nothing shows up within the gallery to show which images were viewed.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    Rick_RRick_R Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Quote:

Regards
    Rick

Andy - I think he's referring to the same problem I mentioned... that in stats mode, the histograms show x mediums and y larges viewed w/in a given gallery, but when you click on the histogram to see which specific pictures in a given gallery were viewed at which sizes, those numers do not match up with the stat histogram (the ones where they show the thumb nail of a viewed picture along w/ which sizes its been viewed at).

Some of my galleries are correct and the histogram matches the numbers of views shown "inside" the gallery; others are way off, in one case, showing significant numbers of large and originals viewed, but nothing shows up within the gallery to show which images were viewed.

C.
    Thanks for expressing my issue in much better manner. That is exactly the issue I was referring. This may be one of the bugs they are fixing (I hope). I use this information as a gauge of popularity of selected photos (I assume that the more views, the more popular)

Again Thanks
    Rick
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Hey Andy, thanks for pointing me here, glad to know I'm not the only one thoroughly disappointed with stats and the fact that I can not operate my business in the same fashion SM made me accustomed to, because they decided to pull the plug on a portion of a product that I am paying for.
    As pointed out here already the customary thing to do would be to build this behind the curtain and give us the "Boy your gonna like it" upgrade when it is ready.
    The is the second time in one day that I have heard the we don't give out dates, I'll go ahead and swallow it on the coupons and packages because I won't really believe they are coming until I see them anyway. But to take something away from us and then tell us your not going to tell us when you are going to give it back? Do you have any idea how that sounds? You must, it's truly ludicrous. I definitely don't envy your Job Andy, I would tell senior management you need something to throw at the masses before the castle walls fall.
    I am a member of another extremely large photo selling site that took real time stats away 2 years ago, probably for the same reason, they started out telling us they were going to come back better than ever, but then the dust settled and they now tell us to be happy with twice daily updates.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Hey Andy, thanks for pointing me here, glad to know I'm not the only one thoroughly disappointed with stats and the fact that I can not operate my business in the same fashion SM made me accustomed to, because they decided to pull the plug on a portion of a product that I am paying for.
    As pointed out here already the customary thing to do would be to build this behind the curtain and give us the "Boy your gonna like it" upgrade when it is ready.
    The is the second time in one day that I have heard the we don't give out dates, I'll go ahead and swallow it on the coupons and packages because I won't really believe they are coming until I see them anyway. But to take something away from us and then tell us your not going to tell us when you are going to give it back? Do you have any idea how that sounds? You must, it's truly ludicrous. I definitely don't envy your Job Andy, I would tell senior management you need something to throw at the masses before the castle walls fall.
    I am a member of another extremely large photo selling site that took real time stats away 2 years ago, probably for the same reason, they started out telling us they were going to come back better than ever, but then the dust settled and they now tell us to be happy with twice daily updates.
    Hi Beetle, I wish it would have been possible to do things the way you've said. But as I've posted many, many times in this thread already, we couldn't. We had to take action on stats and do what we did, or there'd be no stats at all. Now, stats are updated once a day or sooner. And all photos are being recorded.

And we've an engineer assigned to make a new UI to show the new up to the minute stats, and more, that'll be part of the next release. You're right, we don't give dates, I'm sorry. It's incredibly important to you, and us - to get this done.

I'm sorry I don't have a better, different answer than the one I've already given here in this thread. To you and all, we appreciate your patience as we build out new stats features, thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Hey Andy, thanks for pointing me here,

By the way - I looked on your site - no Statcounter, no Google Analytics? Both free, both dead simple to add and both extremely useful. Why aren't you using them? ear.gif

We have tutorials for both:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    By the way - I looked on your site - no Statcounter, no Google Analytics? Both free, both dead simple to add and both extremely useful. Why aren't you using them? ear.gif

We have tutorials for both:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684
    I guess I'll have to,

I don't want to be argumentative Andy but pointing me to a free service somewhere else on the web, and suggesting that I am at fault for not using them so that I can try to compensate for something that SM use to include with my service is like my local restaurant telling me they don't have condiments or napkins anymore but I can get them for free from the counter at McDonalds.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    I guess I'll have to,

I don't want to be argumentative Andy but pointing me to a free service somewhere else on the web, and suggesting that I am at fault for not using them so that I can try to compensate for something that SM use to include with my service is like my local restaurant telling me they don't have condiments or napkins anymore but I can get them for free from the counter at McDonalds.
    Beetle, you are not at fault for not using GA or Statcounter, nor did I mean to imply anything of the sort. It's my job to make sure that you know how dead simple easy it is to use these tools- believe it or not, beetle, I'm trying to help you :D Use GA and Statcounter like so many thousands of Smuggers do to augment SmugMug Stats. Or don't, that's your choice - I just wanted you to know how easy they are. And that you have a choice to use them.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
  • Options
    hspooner2000hspooner2000 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you email me this email - ATTN: Andy at our help desk. I searched our records of emails sent to you, and I can't find a single one where our heros told you this. That would be unacceptable and also extremely uncharacteristic of our heroes.

I'm sorry that the info has been a trickle. The reason this came about was that stats needed to be changed, in order to be scalable long term (we've 1/2 billion photos now!). Don fixed 'em up - and now they update 1x per day (or sooner) and we've got an engineer assigned to build a new stats UI so that you'll have more robust, more granular, and yes, more real-time, stats. And more that I can't say now.

It's coming. Soon.

Sorry for the hassle!

If you can tell me the gallery not updating in the last 48 hours, I'll check into it.

Andy,
    As all mentioned, it is extremely disappointing on the many things that have been mentioned in detail in this thread. I also still believe that this could have been handled in a much better way, where you were immediately up front and started documenting exaclty what was happening, rather than be reactive. Also, I believe that this has resulted in a black eye for SM. As Beatle said, taking away something that we were using, then tell us you don't release dates on new features does not hold water, imho.

I do want to clear up something. I never had anything but polite quick response from the smugmug hero's. To me, they are one of things that really differentiates you from your competition. It was a fellow poster who said "Take a chill pill" not the Hero's. My point was that I use GA and Stat counter and they are still no replacment for the stats that I was using. After 500 entries on Stat Counter, it fills up.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy,
    As all mentioned, it is extremely disappointing on the many things that have been mentioned in detail in this thread. I also still believe that this could have been handled in a much better way, where you were immediately up front and started documenting exaclty what was happening, rather than be reactive. Also, I believe that this has resulted in a black eye for SM. As Beatle said, taking away something that we were using, then tell us you don't release dates on new features does not hold water, imho.

I do want to clear up something. I never had anything but polite quick response from the smugmug hero's. To me, they are one of things that really differentiates you from your competition. It was a fellow poster who said "Take a chill pill" not the Hero's. My point was that I use GA and Stat counter and they are still no replacment for the stats that I was using. After 500 entries on Stat Counter, it fills up.
    Harry
    Hello Harry, thanks for posting. If there were another way we could have dealt with this, we would. I wish it would have been possible to do things the way you've said. But as I've posted many times in this thread already, we couldn't. We had to take action on stats and do what we did, or there'd be no stats at all. Now, stats are updated once a day or sooner. And all photos are being recorded.

I wish I had a better, different answer for you.

Stats are being counted. Stats are updated once a day, or faster, for now. And we will have new and improved stats coming out soon. An engineer's been assigned, and is working this as his first priority. And when they do come out, you'll have more granular stats, up to the minute, and more options, and more stats, than you had before.

Thanks in advance, for your, and everyone's patience on this while we take the necessary and immediate actions that allow us to continue to serve you, and all of our customers, best.

Thanks.
  • Options
    theoptimizerstheoptimizers Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    OK, I Get It Now...
    Andy wrote:
    ... We had to take action on stats and do what we did, or there'd be no stats at all. ...

So, there was a problem, and you fixed it, and while you're fixing the problem, you're upgrading the stats?

I think if you had said this at the start, you'd be fielding fewer frustrated posts. This thread lead me to believe that SmugMug had poorly planned an upgrade. But, I'm now getting the feeling that there was a problem with the stats that had to be fixed. And, the upgrade was an after thought.

If this is the case, then you really could have made life easier for everyone if you had made this clear. Instead, we all believed that this "procedure" was planned.

As usual, transparency could have been best for everyone, including you. ;)

Cass
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    I think if you had said this at the start,

I've been saying it as often and as soon as possible. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I've been saying it as often and as soon as possible. Thanks!

Andy,

I'm honestly trying to be constructive. You have not said that there was a problem. Perhaps, you hinted at this occasionally. Here is how you started:
    Andy wrote:
    The "problem" is that SmugStats are being improved dramatically and there's a temporary time here where the count is down from view.

Then, this:
    Andy wrote:
    Stats are in abeyance for a short time while we make them better and stronger. I will post news as soon as we have it.

And, then there was the first hint that this might be related to fixing a problem:
    Andy wrote:
    I hope it's gonna be upgraded fast! You missed no announcement, this came up very fast.

But, you never said that we had a problem that we're fixing, and we're ALSO upgrading the features while we're fixing the problem.

Perhaps this is just a miscommunication. However, I fear that you have a policy of limiting information, which has contributed to mass anxiety. I'm fairly certain that if you had been straight forward about the original problem, and subsequent decisions to upgrade the features, we all would have understood, and would have been much more supportive, rather than feeling like we were in the dark.

The biggest problem seemed to me that you were saying things that didn't makes sense, as compared to situation we all had seen in the past.

Normally, upgrades are handled differently than this situation was. And, it turns out, this wasn't an upgrade at all. It was a repair, which makes much more sense.

I'm just trying to let you know where I'm coming from, and maybe some others. And, how this kind of situation might be avoided in the future.

Cass
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    I'm just trying to let you know where I'm coming from, and maybe some others. And, how this kind of situation might be avoided in the future.

Cass
    Thanks Cass! It's not easy,trust me :D I'm really trying to do the best possible job, and I never, ever, ever hold info back -we're transparent by nature and we show that all the time here on Dgrin. Nonetheless, I'm reading and re-reading your comments in hopes that I might so a better job next time - always room to improve!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    ... always room to improve!

Please remember, as others have echoed even within this thread, you guys are doing a great job on the site. This single issue hasn't diminished SmugMug's value.

I just wish I had time to take advantage of all the cool stuff you guys have!
  • Options
    LCKatMPNLCKatMPN Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    I appreciate the concern SmugMug has shown for some of the posters here, because through that concern I have gotten the answers I strove to get some three weeks ago when I started this thread. It really was as simple as I thought; a breakdown that needed to be fixed. And to think I was hesitant to bother you! Obviously, this issue has been an issue with many others. I'm just glad it's out in the open now and we know where we stand: the counts won't be the same, and maybe they will be better. In closing, tell the engineer to take as long as he needs to get it right. And if it can't be done, fine with that, too. Just let us know when it is what it is so we can determine how best to use what is available, when it comes online. Good luck with the effort. I know there's a lot to do with a site that is growing as swiftly as this one. I'll have more questions in the future and I hope you won't mind me asking!

Thanks,
    linda
    www.MyPaperNow.com
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    I appreciate the concern SmugMug has shown for some of the posters here, because through that concern I have gotten the answers I strove to get some three weeks ago when I started this thread. It really was as simple as I thought; a breakdown that needed to be fixed. And to think I was hesitant to bother you! Obviously, this issue has been an issue with many others. I'm just glad it's out in the open now and we know where we stand: the counts won't be the same, and maybe they will be better. In closing, tell the engineer to take as long as he needs to get it right. And if it can't be done, fine with that, too. Just let us know when it is what it is so we can determine how best to use what is available, when it comes online. Good luck with the effort. I know there's a lot to do with a site that is growing as swiftly as this one. I'll have more questions in the future and I hope you won't mind me asking!

Thanks,
    linda
    www.MyPaperNow.com
    Uh - No, please do not tell the engineer to take as long as he needs, Linda I'd like to think you were being sarcastic, but it really didn't seem like it. and if it cant be done fine with that too? Uh - No again.
    If SM want's to take their time with a new feature roll out well then that's fine but get stats back ASAP, just the same old stats would be fine while we wait for the new and improved.
  • Options
    frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Uh - No, please do not tell the engineer to take as long as he needs, Linda I'd like to think you were being sarcastic, but it really didn't seem like it. and if it cant be done fine with that too? Uh - No again.
    If SM want's to take their time with a new feature roll out well then that's fine but get stats back ASAP, just the same old stats would be fine while we wait for the new and improved.
    Well based on the recent post it is not only a new feature but also a necessary improvement probably due to the very large of photo we all post there (andy even mention half a billion in a previous post). So the same old stat won't have made it probably anyway. The extra features are just an extra and I agree with the fact that they can take the time needed to get things right.

I know that it may be annoying for all of us but we should also keep in mind that sometimes having a little of patience is better than discover too late that you don't have anything (or worst a crapy thing).

Thanks Andy for keeping us posted and the evolution of this thread showed me that even if the things are not perfect SM is really trying to do its best here.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    frel wrote:
    Well based on the recent post it is not only a new feature but also a necessary improvement probably due to the very large of photo we all post there (andy even mention half a billion in a previous post). So the same old stat won't have made it probably anyway.

I've read the thread,
    frel wrote:
    The extra features are just an extra and I agree with the fact that they can take the time needed to get things right.

Uh-No, Saying hey take your time means that it's not important to you, and you don't care how long it takes.
    frel wrote:
    I know that it may be annoying for all of us but we should also keep in mind that sometimes having a little of patience is better than discover too late that you don't have anything (or worst a crapy thing).

Thanks Andy for keeping us posted and the evolution of this thread showed me that even if the things are not perfect SM is really trying to do its best here.

Clearly there are some of us that use and rely on stats more than others.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Clearly there are some of us that use and rely on stats more than others.
    Yeah I got that ! Now imagine the eventuality that if they did nothing your stat would have been definitely lost ...

edit : end similarly that if the job is not done correctly due to to much pressure they can be lost to (as an engineer I know that bot things are possible and I am sure that devels at SM are not rolling they thumb and joking around about the current situation but you may know better)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Stats are part of SM's product, a part that I use.

What if the shopping cart crashed, or thumbs became invisible (oh sorry that's happening too), or the slide show feature, etc.

It's a something that is part of a service that I am paying for and it's not working.

Cue the annoying analogy,

Your TV suddenly starts to produce no audio you call the cable company and they tell you they are working on an upgrade, don't know when it'll be ready but sit tight, oh and don't forget your bill is due next week.
    "Hey no prob, take your time, I'll just sit over hear reading lips and being patient"
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Uh-No, Saying hey take your time means that it's not important to you, and you don't care how long it takes.
    Well both me and LCKatMPN said "take the time needed" which is very different from "take your time". I'd rather have something that works properly and was correctly designed (and I am not talking about shiny interface here) than something that will eventually break again.

Do I rely on stats ? Yes. Does it have a financial impact to me ? No as I use it to see what my friend and family across the ocean like and don't ? which at my humble level is quite important to. Do I consider that I pay for this service too yes and that's why I am looking forward to see how things will be corrected/improved. I appreciate also that even though I lost real-time update the team managed relatively quickly to provide daily updates with as much data as they could provide.

But I'll stop here as we are definitely not on the same level.
  • Options
    BradJudyBradJudy Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    BradJudy wrote:
    Will this stats upgrade include the ability to download the per-image stats or make more than one month's per-image stats available? As far as I can tell at the moment, I can only view per-image stats for the current month and I'd like to be able to keep track of it long-term.

Andy wrote:
    Good question, I'll try and find out, thanks.

Andy, did you find an answer to this question? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    BradJudy wrote:
    Andy, did you find an answer to this question? Thanks.
    Should be able to do this... We'll do our best to include this in the new stats features. I've made sure Brad, the engineer working this, has your request!