Photo View Count - SmugMug Stats being upgraded

12346»

Comments

• Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Not working the same as before.

edited to clarify.

If they were working the same as before, there would be no need for a "just" after your statement.

When I can refresh (every 5 seconds if I want) and see my photo views steadily rise after an event. Then you can say
    Sheaf wrote:
    The stats are working the same as before

Before stats broke, I had an event that Produced over 2000 photo views an hour one of those hours was over 3000, I know that because stats were working at the time and I was able to track it. This is valuable to me because it trends my customers behaviors i the hours directly after an event.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Statistics?
    I've recently done some heavy SEO and I was trying to determine my hits per image and gallery.

When will the new stats be finished?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Not working the same as before...
    Doesn't reassure me that this is as high a priority as I feel like it should be.
    Hey Beetle, stats were gonna blow up - and if we didn't make changes you'd be really really really upset.

We have a full-time sorcerer on this project, and he's doing nothing else. That's as high-priority as it gets.

Beetle, I know you sell a lot. And I know stats are important to you. I'm really curious why you won't use the free and easy google analytics and statcounter that so many of our SmugMug Pros use. There's so much to gain and nothing to lose for you. If you want help adding them, just holler.

Hang in there, because new stats are gonna blow you away. Sorry it's taking some time to pull it all together but I can assure you we're working as fast as humanly possible on building new stats.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I've recently done some heavy SEO and I was trying to determine my hits per image and gallery.

When will the new stats be finished?
    What functionality are you looking for Kathy? We're counting your photo views right now, and you can view and monitor gallery stats Let us know and we can help ear.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thanks, Andy - I just wanted to go through photo by photo in gallery view to see what is attracting attention.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Thanks, Andy - I just wanted to go through photo by photo in gallery view to see what is attracting attention.
    You can do that currently. Just click on the graph for the gallery you are interested in (not the link above it).

555415758_UgaCT-X3.jpg
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Beetle, stats were gonna blow up - and if we didn't make changes you'd be really really really upset.

We have a full-time sorcerer on this project, and he's doing nothing else. That's as high-priority as it gets.

Beetle, I know you sell a lot. And I know stats are important to you. I'm really curious why you won't use the free and easy google analytics and statcounter that so many of our SmugMug Pros use. There's so much to gain and nothing to lose for you. If you want help adding them, just holler.

Hang in there, because new stats are gonna blow you away. Sorry it's taking some time to pull it all together but I can assure you we're working as fast as humanly possible on building new stats.

I understand that stats were going to blow up, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm involved with another photo selling site that went through a very similar growing pain, and they promissed real time would return, but it has not. It doesn't matter at this point but I feel like there was a bit of cover-up about that very point at the begining of this issue.

I set up my google analytics account last night Andy, and installed it via a plugin for my new WordPress site. The Google analytics CP says I can use it for more than one site so I will be installing it on my main site and SM site.

That being said, I personally find it very frustrating that SM is suggesting that I use someone elses service to compensate for their issues. This is SM's solution to the Safari issue as well. I've taken great care when formulating responses to my customers on that one. Fortunately stats does not directly affect my customers.

We have registered a new name to handle portait/wedding work and our intent was to use SM as a proofing gallery location. The main site will be the WP site I mentioned ealier. My point for bringing this up is that, we have built a business (champion Photo) that relies heavily on the services that we pay SM for. We are now building a new business with the same intent, and I have to stop and wonder if we are making the correct decision.
    At some point I will have to set aside that you have the best customer service in the world and take a look at everything else. Where are the gosh darn packages and coupons, I mean honestly, I just mentioned seeing a thread that was 4 years old with SM customers begging for packages and coupons. Actually the thread was strikingly similar to all the other threads that have mentioned these things, I think you know what I mean.
    There's another one where SM is asking us to use somone elses service as a work-around.

One last thing, Why does this thread keep falling off of my subscription list?
    -Keith
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    but I feel like th
    I'm really sorry you feel this way, Beetle. We've got a 7 year history of openness, we've really got nothing to gain by hiding or covering. Still, I'll review all the communications and we'll strive to do better!

I personally find it very frustrating that SM is suggesting that I use someone elses service to compensate for their issues.
    Beetle, we've been recommending Google Analytics and Statcounter for years and years. It's just good smart business sense. Go back and search Dgrin :D We don't recommend GA & Statcounter for any reason other than they are great free additions to the stats we provide. I'm really sorry you feel otherwise :(

This is SM's solution to the Safari issue as well. I've taken great care when formulating responses to my customers on that one. Fortunately stats does not directly affect my customers.
    Huh? Apple broke Safari, and took their sweet time. Finally they were able to get us enough information about what was going on so we could actually fix things on our own.

We have registered a new name to handle portait/wedding work and our intent was to use SM as a proofing gallery location. The main site will be the WP site I mentioned ealier. My point for bringing this up is that, we have built a business (champion Photo) that relies heavily on the services that we pay SM for. We are now building a new business with the same intent, and I have to stop and wonder if we are making the correct decision.
    At some point I will have to set aside that you have the best customer service in the world and take a look at everything else. Where are the gosh darn packages and coupons,
    Plenty of other threads going where I'm updating you and all our pros. They're both in active, agressive development, Beetle, I'm sorry I don't have more to say than that.

One last thing, Why does this thread keep falling off of my subscription list?
    -Keith
    I don't know, Beetle, I'm sorry. Check your dgrin profile settings?
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thanks for your time Andy,

It isn't till post #96 that you divulge the reason for the stats being down was due to impending doom. Up to that point the info was decidedly less specific.

You can apreciate that I don't have the background knowledge that you do on when you started recomending GA. All I do know is that it was recomended to me as a solution to this issue.

I know, I apologize about bringing up the Safari thing again, it was just a sore subject for me that I could not wrap my head around.

That's my point Andy, If you've read one Coupon and Package thread, you've read them all.

I have, I don't understand, it's the only one that is randomly falling off my subscription list. Is there a conspiracy to keep me out of this thread? :D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Andy, Thanks for the suggestion/push to GA and SC, super cool stuff. I've been playing with them over the past day, and have installed them on all my sites and will be installing on 2 sites that I've done for charity, I'll be busy for a while trying to figure out a way to use the mass amounts of info provided. :D

I had one of my shots on the cover of a national magazine this month, now it's cool to see where the visits are coming from not just the numbers.

I wish I listened to you 2 months ago.

I'll wait more patiently now for SM's new stats, but only cause I have something to keep me busy. My points on the issue still standmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Andy, Thanks for the suggestion/push to GA and SC, super cool stuff. I've been playing with them over the past day, and have installed them on all my sites and will be installing on 2 sites that I've done for charity, I'll be busy for a while trying to figure out a way to use the mass amounts of info provided. :D

I had one of my shots on the cover of a national magazine this month, now it's cool to see where the visits are coming from not just the numbers.

I wish I listened to you 2 months ago.

I'll wait more patiently now for SM's new stats, but only cause I have something to keep me busy. My points on the issue still standmwink.gif
    Woop!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    What does Woop! mean?

Is it like Whupee (sarcastic)
    or woohoo (good for you)

I've read Woot! before in threads and I know thats good like congratulations.

But I'm not sure on Woop! I would be bummed if it was a "Big Woop!" kind of '80's sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    What does Woop! mean?

Is it like Whupee (sarcastic)
    or woohoo (good for you)

I've read Woot! before in threads and I know thats good like congratulations.

But I'm not sure on Woop! I would be bummed if it was a "Big Woop!" kind of '80's sarcasm.
    It means I'm excited and happy for you! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    So the notice on the stats page has changed,
    Now it just tells us when it was last updated instead of telling us about the much needed overhaul.
    Does this mean your done fixing it?
    Because if that's the case I'll just need a little help with finding the neat new stuff that was promised, and if that's the case you forgot to flip the real time switch.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Does this mean your done fixing it?
    Because if that's the case I'll just need a little help with finding the neat new stuff that was promised, and if that's the case you forgot to flip the real time switch.

Hi Beetle, why would we forget to tell you about enhancements? We'll announce it in Release Notes when we have new stats, in the meantime, we're counting your photo views. New stats will be vastly improved. It's gonna take some time for us to complete this sorcery, but we think the wait will be worth it.

Just yesterday we all (internally) got a sneak peek at the progress, and it's very encouraging! But it's taking more time than we hoped - it's going to have more than we expected, and be built to last.

I know you're anxious, Beetle. Stay tuned. And for everyone that hasn't seen this friendly reminder of mine: You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    Jay_SJay_S Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Beetle, why would we forget to tell you about enhancements? We'll announce it in Release Notes when we have new stats, in the meantime, we're counting your photo views. New stats will be vastly improved. It's gonna take some time for us to complete this sorcery, but we think the wait will be worth it.

Just yesterday we all (internally) got a sneak peek at the progress, and it's very encouraging! But it's taking more time than we hoped - it's going to have more than we expected, and be built to last.

I know you're anxious, Beetle. Stay tuned. And for everyone that hasn't seen this friendly reminder of mine: You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.

Hi Andy,

Looking forward to the update as well, and if the wait is as worth it as you're indicating, should be a nice addition. Was just checking stats and don't seem to be able to link back to source gallery from stats page any more (been vacationing) and just wondered if that was a part of the overhaul as well. Thanks again.

Jay S.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Jay_S wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Looking forward to the update as well, and if the wait is as worth it as you're indicating, should be a nice addition. Was just checking stats and don't seem to be able to link back to source gallery from stats page any more (been vacationing) and just wondered if that was a part of the overhaul as well. Thanks again.

Jay S.
    Got a link? ear.gif
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    This is just the official monthly bump of this all time hit.

;)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Mike_P wrote:
    This is just the official monthly bump of this all time hit.

;)
    You don't need to 'bump' for a feature that's in development :D

STATS are being fully counted, just like always. We're in the process of building out many improvements to Stats. We've got an Sorcerer assigned full-time to this, and when we release it, there will be lots of new stuff within the new Stats application. No, we won't promise a date - but it's in active development right now. You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hi Andy,

Just KIDDING!

I know it's in development and I'm sure it will be another terrific feature of the terrific service you provide here.

But..... you have to start expecting a little good natured ribbing at this point -- the first post in this thread was in March and there's beginning to be a bit of an "Urban Myth" sense of the thing.

But I do this for fun, don't try to make a living out of photography and thus don't need quick viewer count, so I'm happy to wait for the next big thing.

Until this time next month --- ;)

Best regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Mike_P wrote:
    the first post in this thread was in March
    Then what we come up with better be good. Seriously - just let it be, it's #1 priority for Sorcerer Brad. Go shoot and be surprised when new stats come out :)
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    So has the big "fancy-doo" stat upgrade been tabled? or canned?

or put in that special place with packages and coupons?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    So has the big "fancy-doo" stat upgrade been tabled? or canned?

or put in that special place with packages and coupons?
    no, it's being actively worked on. Are you using GA & Statcounter, as additional awesome stats to supplement SmugMug stats?

Stay tuned for our new stuff, it'll come.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    no, it's being actively worked on. Are you using GA & Statcounter, as additional awesome stats to supplement SmugMug stats?

Stay tuned for our new stuff, it'll come.

I'm using both Andy, we've been over that, and after being forced into using those tools, tools that were suggested by you to fill the gap left by SmugMug removing a portion of their service, I told you they were cool but not a replacement for SmugStats.

Im back into my busy season again, and as I predicted, SmugStats are still down, yes they are down, what you're giving me is not SmugStats, it's not anywhere near the level of product that I'm paying for. I can say that because you have effectively taken away a service that was part of the product when I bought it, and that I came to use as part of my business workflow.

What's with the lying timer at the top of the SmugStats page? Suggesting that it's current and essentially live with an hour delay. If that were the case I'd see my numbers rolling every time I refreshed.

Back into my busy season again and in the middle of trying to get mass amounts of pictures onto the site yesterday, SmugMug goes into "let's screw up your workflow" mode again.

Who's taking bets on SmugStat's never going live again? Probably pretty low odds.
    You'll need to polish up the new release really nice to get everyone to overlook that.

Now I'll go try and find a "where are the packages and coupons" thread, instead of taking this one off the rails.
  • Options
    mistifarangmistifarang Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    stats
    be careful, I just want to change from another site and I'm very spoiled with their stats! (not with lots of other things!)

Furthermore nobody can beat your help-service!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    bohdankbohdank Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Stats are not working, again. The total hasn't moved all day + whereas the daily numbers keep incrementing. Also. if you look at the total views for a Gallery for today they don't match the sum of the individual views/image in the Gallery.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    bohdank wrote:
    Stats are not working, again. The total hasn't moved all day + whereas the daily numbers keep incrementing. Also. if you look at the total views for a Gallery for today they don't match the sum of the individual views/image in the Gallery.
    We'll get an update out to stats as soon as possible - hopefully this week. Total view count for sure will be fixed. I'm not aware of the 2nd issue you report - can you please email our heroes http://smugmug.com/help/emailreal on that? Thanks so much.