Options

Can youz test a new uploader?

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Same as all of SmugMug: IE6/7/8, FF2/3, Safari 3/4. Try updating your Java?
    Anything different as far as the Java requirement? What is the minimum requirement?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    What are the browser requirements for this uploader? I just tried it on the system where I use the simple uploader and it came back with an "X" once it tried to initiate java. ne_nau.gif

I had the same problem on an older Windows 2000 machine. It was running Java 1.4.2-17. I installed the lastest Java JRE-6u13 and then it worked.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    now has JRE-6u14. I think I will go get the update myself.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Anything different as far as the Java requirement? What is the minimum requirement?
    I really don't know but I always recommend updating to the newest. I'll ask Sam when I can.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I really don't know but I always recommend updating to the newest. I'll ask Sam when I can.

As far as I know ... JRE from v1.4 to v1.6 there is a big difference. Sun changed something in the JRE libraries is what I was told by a software vendor. They required v1.4 for their application, so I now have both v1.4 and v1.6 on my computers. However, I believe v1.5 gets replaced automatically when you install v1.6; that does not happen with v1.4.

So far ... for SmugMug uploader .. JRE v1.6 works great!
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    I just tried the new uploader, and my question is how did you get it so fast! Does it do compression on the fly? Also, is it supposed to do multiple uploads simultaneously?
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I just tried the new uploader, and my question is how did you get it so fast! Does it do compression on the fly? Also, is it supposed to do multiple uploads simultaneously?
    I answered my own question when I looked at the speed again, Kb vs KB. This makes sense since you can see if your bandwidth is saturated easier. I don't like the fact that it doesn't do multiple streams like the simple uploader.

I've tried running multiple sessions once so far, but I've been having problems adding files. :(

Initially tested under WinXPe on a WYSE machine under IE6. Now being tested under WinXPe on a Neoware machine under IE6. I have one batch running on one IE6 session, and I've opened another IE6 session (NOT new window, an actual launch of IE6. I had to do this with the simple uploader as well to have them each saturate the bandwidth). I added some files to the new session, but it seems to have locked up when I tried to add another 224 files on that new session. Seems like there's still a few bugs on multiple instances.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    A suggestion I run ran across. When a batch is taking more than 60 minutes to upload (like 167), have it break down to h:m:s rather than just display m:s.

For example, a batch currently is showing as 167:33, instead have it show as 2:47:33.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Love the new version - full of Smuggy goodness.thumb.gif
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I am liking this uploader A LOT! Thanks for making it faster.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    MrBenMrBen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2009
    I've just been using the new uploader. It seems to work well and has been pretty much maxing out my upload. It seems to play nicer than the old IE uploader - other users haven't complained when I've been uploading!

The overall progress counter seems to work the wrong way. If I add say 12 items to upload it will say "Overall progress: 12/12". That's not correct, nothing has been uploaded. It hasn't even begun! So it should say 0/12. As items are successfully uploaded it counts backwards so when the last item is being uploaded it will display 1/12. The counter either needs to be fixed or the label changed to something like "Items remaining".

Being able to see the throughput is good. A break down of time remaining into hours and minutes would be useful for larger uploads (as suggested above). Saves me having to think about it! :)

It would be nice if the applet could use the new style open dialog in Vista.

Ben
  • Options
    gbrookshawgbrookshaw Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Yeah, I would echo that last comment...to me, "progress: 2/8" means 2 files completed out of 8.

Anyway, fantastic uploader!

Thanks
    Gary

Brookshaw Photography

Wedding and Portrait Photography in Chester, UK
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    This uploader version is great. Really appreciate seeing the individual status and how many photos are remaining to be uploaded.

Thanks for the work on this . . .

Peter
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wait a second :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    This uploader is now live for all folks using the Simple Uploader clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    This uploader is now live for all folks using the Simple Uploader clap.gifclap.gif
    Is the old simple uploader still available? eek7.gif The multi-threaded capability of that uploader under IE still made it my uploader of choice. Plus, the new uploader missed a file yesterday night in an upload batch, so I'm still having to check my uploads for completeness. :cry
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Is the old simple uploader still available? eek7.gif The multi-threaded capability of that uploader under IE still made it my uploader of choice. Plus, the new uploader missed a file yesterday night in an upload batch, so I'm still having to check my uploads for completeness. :cry
    Enjoy the new uploady goodness, and learn the coolness - it now allows you to skip dupes! Try it :D And, it's faster.

No, the old uploader is not available anymore. Reason: We built our own, so that we can ensure reliability, updates, and robustness.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Missing a file in an upload should be a Priority #1 bug issue for an uploader (e.g. THE most important thing the uploader needs to get right). Can you provide more details so someone from Smug can track down the issue?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Enjoy the new uploady goodness, and learn the coolness - it now allows you to skip dupes! Try it :D And, it's faster.
    This feature is helpful but the small gain is speed wasn't really noticeable to me. I upload while I sleep.
    Andy wrote:
    No, the old uploader is not available anymore. Reason: We built our own, so that we can ensure reliability, updates, and robustness.
    :cry :cry :cry

That really sucks. :( Now I have to make multiple upload sessions manually again to max out my three cable modems. :cry This new uploader (or any single session uploader) won't do it automatically like the old one did. :cry

+1 point for faster upload and dupe skipping. -3 points for making me change workflow back to an earlier less efficient method.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Missing a file in an upload should be a Priority #1 bug issue for an uploader (e.g. THE most important thing the uploader needs to get right). Can you provide more details so someone from Smug can track down the issue?
    Let's see if I can get the pertinent information:

Gallery link: http://huntsvillecarscene.smugmug.com/gallery/8762013_AYZ9b
    Filename that had to be uploaded because it was missing: p7018397.jpg

All files were drag and dropped from explorer to the new uploader. There were three different directory of files so this was done three times, and only after the uploader had finished queing the previous set of files. Browser is portableFF 1.0.7 under xpe. Browser is older, I know. IE 6.0 on the same machine crashes when a batch is dragged to the new uploader. Old uploader worked robustly under the same IE 6.0 configuration. Let me know if you need anything more.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    SamirD wrote:

All files were drag and dropped from explorer to the new uploader. There were three different directory of files so this was done three times, and only after the uploader had finished queing the previous set of files. Browser is portableFF 1.0.7 under xpe. Browser is older, I know. IE 6.0 on the same machine crashes when a batch is dragged to the new uploader. Old uploader worked robustly under the same IE 6.0 configuration. Let me know if you need anything more.
    Just to be clear - I don't work for Smugmug. I'm hoping that if you provide this info, someone at Smugmug will jump on the issue and track it down since it's one of the highest priority issues for an uploader to get right.

The only other info I can think of is: does your upload log in the control panel say anything about an upload error occurring on that file? Is there any chance it thought that file was a dup of something else?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    SamirD wrote:

Samir, with as much power usage as you do, why on earth are you using an olde browser like IE6 that is 2 revs ago? ear.gif

That said, we fully support IE6, it's just old and sucky. Why don't you upgrade to a better browser?

Also: FF 1? W support FF 2 and above, soon to be 3 and above.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    SamirD wrote:

Check your upload log :D

20090702-7st648emk9uguyr3creqkc5p3.jpg

Upload those two again, Samir, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Andy, why doesn't the new uploader report on those errors right in the uploader, ideally leaving those images right in the queue? Isn't that the user-friendly thing to do so the user doing the upload knows right away which images had trouble?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Samir, with as much power usage as you do, why on earth are you using an olde browser like IE6 that is 2 revs ago? ear.gif

That said, we fully support IE6, it's just old and sucky. Why don't you upgrade to a better browser?

Also: FF 1? W support FF 2 and above, soon to be 3 and above.
    Simple answer...old hardware. I have no money to upgrade anything, computers or cameras. :cry I'm still using high-end point and shoots even though everyone and their grandmother has dslrs.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Hmm...what's interesting is that 8398 uploaded fine. I've already uploaded 8397.

I like the idea of an image staying in the queue and automatically retrying. But if that's not possible, a warning telling you that the number of files transferred didn't match what was queued would be great. I've been manually verifying the number of files uploaded for years now...
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Feature requests for new uploader:
    - Remembers 'duplicate' setting
    - Multiple simultaneous uploads
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    I have a question on how the 'skip duplicates' feature works. Does this simply check the filename? If it does, then when you have two files that have the same filename, but are different, it simply thinks there are multiple files already there. (This has only happenned to me once when the filenaming sequence of my two Sony cameras overlapped at the same event.) Is there a way for it to also check EXIF information before declaring something a dupe or skipping it?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Feature requests for new uploader:
    - Remembers 'duplicate' setting
    - Multiple simultaneous uploads
    Samir: http://smugmug.uservoice.com :D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I have a question on how the 'skip duplicates' feature works. Does this simply check the filename? If it does, then when you have two files that have the same filename, but are different, it simply thinks there are multiple files already there. (This has only happenned to me once when the filenaming sequence of my two Sony cameras overlapped at the same event.) Is there a way for it to also check EXIF information before declaring something a dupe or skipping it?
    Yes, same filename - no, can't check exif.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, same filename - no, can't check exif.
    Bummer.