Options

NEW: Easy Customizer!

Comments

• Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Michael, My first post says that some things in your site-wide customizing may be 'overpowered' but you can always nuke your easy customizing if you don't like what you see. Also that this tool is primarily designed to be used before any advanced customizing.

So, you can add more advances customization on top of this once you get things to a point you like with EC?

If I do that, then go back and make a change to something I did in EC, will the change in EC destroy my AC?
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Glazener wrote:
    So, you can add more advances customization on top of this once you get things to a point you like with EC?

If I do that, then go back and make a change to something I did in EC, will the change in EC destroy my AC?
    Really you should do one vs. the other: but not both. Bad things happen.

David
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    Really you should do one vs. the other: but not both. Bad things happen.

David

Sounded as though bad things only happened if you had AC then used EC. But EC first then AC seemed to be fine (my first question). My second question though was what happens if you use EC first, then do some AC, then go back and make a change in EC.

Andy (on both questions please)?
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Glazener wrote:
    Sounded as though bad things only happened if you had AC then used EC. But EC first then AC seemed to be fine (my first question). My second question though was what happens if you use EC first, then do some AC, then go back and make a change in EC.

Well, EC adds new CSS that isn't always compatible with the code you'll find on here. For example, it adds margin around the header code, and a few other strangenesses. It also uses !important a LOT. So, you'll need to code against the EC CSS specifically. Honestly, it's too much effort to do that when you can just do it in your own CSS and have a much cleaner implementation.

David
  • Options
    bstrongbstrong Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Glazener wrote:

Hi Glazener,

This problem really has nothing to do with the order that EC and AC are used, but more about the type of customizations that are in AC.

Typically, people that used AC before the EC was released had pretty extensive CSS customizations. Using EC on top of those extensive customizations in AC can turn out to be an issue.

Starting from a clean slate, EC can get most people 80-90% of the way. Using the AC to get the remaining (usually more advanced tweaks) works well. The difference is that the amount of customizations in AC is far less than those that only used AC and are less likely to step over (or get stepped over by) the EC. Using this model, going back to EC to make some additional tweaks should be fine, again depending on the nature of the customizations made in AC.

I hope this helps answer your questions!

-Brian
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Are all the EC changes documented in the AC CSS and JavaScript? Or are they stored in some "hidden" file somewhere else?
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    jchin wrote:
    Are all the EC changes documented in the AC CSS and JavaScript? Or are they stored in some "hidden" file somewhere else?
    The EC CSS is injected into your user CSS include file at run-time. It isn't stored anywhere you can access it directly. You can see it if you use a developer's tool like Web Developer to look at your user CSS in your page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    The EC CSS is injected into your user CSS include file at run-time. It isn't stored anywhere you can access it directly. You can see it if you use a developer's tool like Web Developer to look at your user CSS in your page.
    And, FYI John, you'd asked us to add line breaks. We did. It'll go out in our next release:

20090608-b32ffab4f73u35em28qu2g75bj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    And, FYI John, you'd asked us to add line breaks. We did. It'll go out in our next release:

20090608-b32ffab4f73u35em28qu2g75bj.jpg
    Thank you. Please make sure there's a double linebreak after the last EZC line so that the user's customization is separated by a blank line.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Thank you. Please make sure there's a double linebreak after the last EZC line so that the user's customization is separated by a blank line.
    I'll ask Brian, but there's the /* End EZC CSS */ comment already ...
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'll ask Brian, but there's the /* End EZC CSS */ comment already ...
    That definitely helps, but if there's no break after that, then the user's CSS ends up on the same line as that comment which is confusing (that's the way it has been since he first implemented it). And, it would be even nicer to have a blank line between the two.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    That definitely helps, but if there's no break after that, then the user's CSS ends up on the same line as that comment which is confusing (that's the way it has been since he first implemented it). And, it would be even nicer to have a blank line between the two.
    Better? This'd go in next release

20090609-8b91ib98xbuyjp57xdbhmxacxb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Lookin' good. Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    I'm late to the party, but I went to the Easy Customizer, it came up, and nothing happens when I hit any of the selection choices. I'm using Fire Fox and noticed in the lower left hand corner it was trying to run a javascript. I checked my options and Java was on, went to the upload page and the uploader worked.

Any ideas what I need to do?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    ebwest wrote:
    I'm late to the party, but I went to the Easy Customizer, it came up, and nothing happens when I hit any of the selection choices. I'm using Fire Fox and noticed in the lower left hand corner it was trying to run a javascript. I checked my options and Java was on, went to the upload page and the uploader worked.

Any ideas what I need to do?
    Java and Javascript are two very different things. What browser are you running please? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you. You Smugmug guys/gals are GREAT!
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Java and Javascript are two very different things. What browser are you running please? ear.gif

Then that's 2 things instead of one that I don't know anything aboutne_nau.gif

Firefox 3.0.10
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    ebwest wrote:
    Then that's 2 things instead of one that I don't know anything aboutne_nau.gif

Firefox 3.0.10
    OK what addons or plugins are you running in Firefox please?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK what addons or plugins are you running in Firefox please?

AVG Safe Search

Java Quick Starter

Whatbird.com Winged Bird toolbar
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Yes, this is great. Gives me a lot more confidence in going the EC then layering AC on top of it route.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    I'm still not getting it to do anything.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Bump...again

This is what my screen looks like, nothing I click on does anything:

562853525_CVamA-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Have you tried "resetting" EC and starting over?
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    ebwest wrote:
    Bump...again

This is what my screen looks like, nothing I click on does anything:

562853525_CVamA-Th.jpg

Turn off all your FF Addons and close, reopen, and try?
    What does it look like in IE?
    ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    No change after disabling the add-ons.

IE does the same, but the preview screen is white, none of the buttons do anything and in the lower left corner it says "Error on Page"

Maybe the SmugMug Gods just don't want me messing with this.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    ebwest wrote:

IE does the same, but the preview screen is white, none of the buttons do anything and in the lower left corner it says "Error on Page"

OK are you at a work location? Behind a firewall? Any new security software in place? EB, I'm very sorry but you're the very first and only person that's reporting this so I'm a little lost here... I'll escalate and see if other heroes can help.
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hi ebwest,

That could be an issue with Javascript on your browser/computer.

Can you test your browser javascript here?:
    http://weblogin.bu.edu/troubleshooting?cmd=ssl -

Here are instructions on how to enable Javascript in most browsers:
    http://www.tranexp.com/win/JavaScript-enabling.htm

If you have security software or a firewall, that could also cause this. I would recommend that you temporarily disable them and see if that fixes the issue. If so, you should then be able to input an 'allow' for SmugMug that typically looks like: *.smugmug.com

Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after running the above test and making sure Javascript is enabled on your system.

ebwest wrote:

Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    It must not be meant for me. I passed all the tests, disabled the firewall, and left the add-ons off...still doesn't do anything.
  • Options
    bstrongbstrong Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    ebwest wrote:
    It must not be meant for me. I passed all the tests, disabled the firewall, and left the add-ons off...still doesn't do anything.
    ebwest,

There was a hidden line break in the gallery named "Zoo" that was causing this issue. Not sure how it got there, but it has been removed and the EZC tool should work for you now!

Thanks for your patience!

-Brian
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    bstrong wrote:
    ebwest,

There was a hidden line break in the gallery named "Zoo" that was causing this issue. Not sure how it got there, but it has been removed and the EZC tool should work for you now!

Thanks for your patience!

-Brian

Thanks a lot. Not sure how anything got in the Zoo either, I don't think I've been to it since I created it.

All is well now, if I can decide what I want to do with it now that I have it:D