Options

NEW: Easy Customizer!

Comments

• Options
    tfboytfboy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    If we don't use EZC, can we...
    ...delete the > Other > My SmugMug Site Files (Do Not Delete) gallery? It's bugging me rolleyes1.gif

If there are no problems with deleting the gallery (asuming EZC isn't used), maybe you could update the first page, Andy, to mention this?

Sorry, my twisted way of saying I haven't read through the last umpteen posts to find out ;)

Thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    tfboy wrote:
    ...delete the > Other > My SmugMug Site Files (Do Not Delete) gallery? It's bugging me rolleyes1.gif

Sure. As long as there's nothing in it you want/need, delete it. Sorry it bugs you :D Nobody sees it but you....
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    By request http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=131785
    we made it more readable now :D
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Changing Favicon with Easy Customiser affected site background/slideshow border
    Hi,

I dived into the Easy Customizer and only wanted to change my Favicon as I had never been able to do it before, but now my site's background has changed from black to a muddy grey/green and I have an old border around my slideshow that is not supposed to be there.

Is there any way to undo my most recent change with the Easy Customiser? Unfortunately, I don't think I backed up the CSS immediately prior to making the change.

Thanks...hopefully this will not be too much of a headache to fix.

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Hi,

I dived into the Easy Customizer and only wanted to change my Favicon as I had never been able to do it before, but now my site's background has changed from black to a muddy grey/green and I have an old border around my slideshow that is not supposed to be there.

Is there any way to undo my most recent change with the Easy Customiser? Unfortunately, I don't think I backed up the CSS immediately prior to making the change.

Thanks...hopefully this will not be too much of a headache to fix.

Nelson
    Just undo (wipe out) all the EZC changes. Let us know.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Just undo (wipe out) all the EZC changes. Let us know.

Thanks Andy, but I looked in the Easy Customizer section and the Advanced Site Wide Customization and I have no idea how to do this. Any advice?

Thanks,

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks Andy, but I looked in the Easy Customizer section and the Advanced Site Wide Customization and I have no idea how to do this. Any advice?

Thanks,

Nelson

Sure.

20090713-qa1c4jh7ye7i4km7ydjs4yj6r6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Great, thanks Andy:)

I did this and it mostly worked and I got my black background back and the slideshow border is ok, but the full Smugmug Header and Footer appears even though these weren't there previously. Now when I go into EZ to remove them and save changes, the green/grey background reappears. Also, when I am in EZ, the background that shows is green/grey rather than my current black background so I am wondering if that is what is interfering with it, although I'm not sure.

All I really want to do to what I originally had is to add the Favicon and change the Smugmug footer to my own footer.
    Thanks for the help.

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    All I really want to do to what I originally had is to add the Favicon and change the Smugmug footer to my own footer.
    Thanks for the help.

Nelson
    Go into advanced cusotmizing and set your header / footer options.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Go into advanced cusotmizing and set your header / footer options.

Thanks Andy, all fixed now:)

As for the Easy Customiser, I'm still not sure why it is behaving as it is. When I open it and the Homepage is Previewed in the window, it shows the grey/green background, but if I select any of the gallery pages from the drop down menu, the Preview shows them correctly with the black background. For this reason, it means that anytime I make any changes via Easy Customiser, it will break the background colour.

1. Is there a way to fix this so that I can use the Easy Customiser?
    2. If not, it's no big deal as the main thing I want to do is to finally add my favicon - I tried previously with no success through Advnaced Customisation, although it worked perfectly with Easy Customiser BUT broke my background.

Thanks again:)

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    P.S here are some screen captures to show you what I mean:

Preview for Homepage:
    589322410_HyCLr-L.png

Preview for another Gallery page:
    589322468_nkSfK-L.png

Notice how the background colour is black (as it should be) in the Gallery page, and grey/green in the Homepage.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    P.S here are some screen captures to show you what I mean:

Preview for Homepage:

Preview for another Gallery page:

Notice how the background colour is black (as it should be) in the Gallery page, and grey/green in the Homepage.
    The gallery looks like you have "smugmug" set for appearance instead of
    "custom" which makes your CSS inactive.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    The gallery looks like you have "smugmug" set for appearance instead of
    "custom" which makes your CSS inactive.

Thanks Allen,

If this is the case, it would be too much trouble for me to go and set all galleries to 'custom' just to be able to add the favicon. Is there another way to successfully add a favicon without using the Easy Customizer?

Nelson
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks Allen,

If this is the case, it would be too much trouble for me to go and set all galleries to 'custom' just to be able to add the favicon. Is there another way to successfully add a favicon without using the Easy Customizer?

Nelson
    The favicon hardly seems worth it to me. Last I checked, it only works in Firefox anyway (not in IE or Safari).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    The favicon hardly seems worth it to me. Last I checked, it only works in Firefox anyway (not in IE or Safari).

Hi John,

The frustrating thing is that it actually worked in Safari using Easy Customiser, but it broke the background, which was why I was wondering if there was some new development that fixed it for Safari. If it worked for Safari and Firefox, I'd be happy:)

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Hi John,

The frustrating thing is that it actually worked in Safari using Easy Customiser, but it broke the background, which was why I was wondering if there was some new development that fixed it for Safari. If it worked for Safari and Firefox, I'd be happy:)

Nelson
    Last I experimented with EZC, it was pretty much all or nothing. It tromps on some of your existing customizations, replacing them with it's own default values. If you want to use it, then why not just set the background you want in EZC?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Last I experimented with EZC, it was pretty much all or nothing. It tromps on some of your existing customizations, replacing them with it's own default values. If you want to use it, then why not just set the background you want in EZC?

Thanks John,

Yeah, I'm a bit wary about breaking stuff again, and not sure if setting the background in EZC would make things worse or not, which was why I was wondering if there was a less painful way to get the Favicon to work without the risk of further headaches.

Maybe I might experiment if I am feeling adventurous:) Although if I were to set my own background (which is simply black), would you know what the recommended file type, dimensions and resolution that's best?

Thanks,

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks John,

Yeah, I'm a bit wary about breaking stuff again, and not sure if setting the background in EZC would make things worse or not, which was why I was wondering if there was a less painful way to get the Favicon to work without the risk of further headaches.

Maybe I might experiment if I am feeling adventurous:) Although if I were to set my own background (which is simply black), would you know what the recommended file type, dimensions and resolution that's best?

Thanks,

Nelson
    If you just want a black background, then you can just set a background color, you don't need a background image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    If you just want a black background, then you can just set a background color, you don't need a background image.

Thanks John, sounds like it would be worth a try:)

Only problem now is that because I got rid of the Smugmug footer on the bottom, there is no login link for me to click, and I have no idea how to log into my account. I tried using the x.smugmug.com extension and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks John, sounds like it would be worth a try:)

Only problem now is that because I got rid of the Smugmug footer on the bottom, there is no login link for me to click, and I have no idea how to log into my account. I tried using the x.smugmug.com extension and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

Nelson

Go to http://www.smugmug.com and log in there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Go to http://www.smugmug.com and log in there.

Thanks John...all fixed now:)

Don't seem to be having much luck with the EZC - as it fixes certain things, it breaks others, and feels like a constant game of cat and mouse! I'll wait until there's another way to get the Favicon to work outside of the EZC as it's not worth the headache trying to do it with EZC in the meantime.

Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks John...all fixed now:)

Don't seem to be having much luck with the EZC - as it fixes certain things, it breaks others, and feels like a constant game of cat and mouse! I'll wait until there's another way to get the Favicon to work outside of the EZC as it's not worth the headache trying to do it with EZC in the meantime.

Nelson
    Yeah, EZC was not originally written to be compatible with pre-existing customizations or even themes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    annsanannsan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    what I want to do on the front (index) page
    Andy wrote:
    This has us SO excited :D Customize a SmugMug site in minutes, change the text, colors, header, footer, boxes, make a navbar and more.... you bet!

Go to your Tools Button on homepage or category, or in your customize tab of your control panel, and click 'Easy Customizer' -- Go ahead, try it naughty.gif

---
    Hey Andy,
    I couldn't find anything in the "easy" menu to do what I'd like on my front/index page.... I plan on redoing my banner ,btw, ... so what I would like is to be able to have the thumbnails show up 4 across and under each for each gallery (or next to) the gallery title only, not the detail..

Sometimes the simple way to do this really is there and I just miss it, so tease me about not paying attention and point me to it will ya?

thanks muchly,
    ann
    http://annsan.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    annsan wrote:
    I couldn't find anything in the "easy" menu to do what I'd like on my front/index page.... I plan on redoing my banner ,btw, ... so what I would like is to be able to have the thumbnails show up 4 across and under each for each gallery (or next to) the gallery title only, not the detail..

Sometimes the simple way to do this really is there and I just miss it, so tease me about not paying attention and point me to it will ya?
    That's because EZC doesn't do that. You'll still need to use the advanced page for that.

EZC wasn't designed to do advanced stuff.. That's why it's "Easy Customizer" i.e. easy to use, and easy stuff to change :)

BTW.. Use a .png instead of a JPG for your header.. It'll look much nicer/crisper.

David
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    That's because EZC doesn't do that. You'll still need to use the advanced page for that.

EZC wasn't designed to do advanced stuff.. That's why it's "Easy Customizer" i.e. easy to use, and easy stuff to change :)

BTW.. Use a .png instead of a JPG for your header.. It'll look much nicer/crisper.

David

Um, David, I did say I _ didn't find_ it in the new easy customizer...:-) although i would think it would be a good thing to include (number of thumbs across the page)

I'd just like some tags or code -wherever - to set my
    thumbs smaller and "x" number across - I'm thinking 4..

I'm happy inserting code - I hope someone had something I could partly crib... hopefully when I redesign a simpler banner and all the gallery thumbs will fit on the index page...

png doesn't matter for web display - and there is a reason I'm doing my banner over :_)

ann
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    annsan wrote:
    png doesn't matter for web display - and there is a reason I'm doing my banner over :_)
    Not to derail the discussion, but... Excuse me? PNG doesn't matter for *web* display? The entire reason PNG exists is because of the web! It's the next generation file-format giving the crispness of GIF with the color palette of JPG (and also the ability to show complex patterns like JPG). PNG *IS* for web display--just not for PHOTOS (in that case, JPG produces a smaller filesize, and because of the complexity of the image, our eye doesn't see the lossiness.)

Look here for the 4-across code: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=300387&postcount=8

David
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    Not to derail the discussion, but... Excuse me? PNG doesn't matter for *web* display? The entire reason PNG exists is because of the web! It's the next generation file-format giving the crispness of GIF with the color palette of JPG (and also the ability to show complex patterns like JPG). PNG *IS* for web display--just not for PHOTOS (in that case, JPG produces a smaller filesize, and because of the complexity of the image, our eye doesn't see the lossiness.)

Look here for the 4-across code: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=300387&postcount=8

David

sorry _ my bad I was told it was for getting from files to PRINT (from someone at cafepress) ... and for web display jpg was fine... understand I have never studied this stuff - all self taught... anyway... I'm really exhausted - brain dead if you can tell me how to replace the old banner using the css (or if anyone can) Id appreciate it ... thanks
    ann
  • Options
    martinsmith99martinsmith99 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I like this!

Thanks and great work!
  • Options
    danitardanitar Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    drop down menu in Easy Customizer ever gonna' happen?
    Just wondering if an easy drop down menu was ever going to be a part of the Easy Customization or if anyone has thought of it?

I cannot figure out the CSS code on this. It's making my head hurt. I'm just not wired this way...I wish I were.
  • Options
    bstrongbstrong Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    danitar wrote:
    Just wondering if an easy drop down menu was ever going to be a part of the Easy Customization or if anyone has thought of it?

I cannot figure out the CSS code on this. It's making my head hurt. I'm just not wired this way...I wish I were.

It's definitely on our list of things to do. Meanwhile, I'm sure one of our heroes would be willing to help you with the CSS.