Options

Gymnastics: Canon vs. Nikon; your choice?

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Since you like gymnastics images, I thought you might be interested in the Boston.com's Big Picture gallery of the world championship.

It might give you some ideas on composition...
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    Since you like gymnastics images, I thought you might be interested in the Boston.com's Big Picture gallery of the world championship.

It might give you some ideas on composition...
    Thank you soooo much for that link!!
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    WOW!

Man are those humbling!bowdown.gif
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Here's the most recent poster. C&C always welcomed.
    ZoeiPostercopyresized.jpg

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Outstanding!

I like the results and the pics! How long does it take you to do one of the posters?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Outstanding!

I like the results and the pics! How long does it take you to do one of the posters?

Thanks for the kind words.

The posters take me......emphasis on ME.......a long time. Like 10hrs. But keep in mind, that's start to finish, and I'm learning the program.

The parents that I gave these first 2 posters to (2 different families) flipped out. One of them told me that they'd paid $350 for a smaller collage of their daughter and it was not as nice as what I'd surprised them with. That felt pretty good.

On a different note, looks like forum member Hikin' Mike and I will be at a meet together in 2 weeks. So will have a show down between his 5D and F4 lenses and my 50D and the 2.8's. Having seen a bunch of his shots already, I should probably holster the 50D and my amature mits, and just pay him to shoot my kidrolleyes1.gif ..........

• Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Apologies if somebody already asked this: are you using any kind of camera support in these gyms? A monopod might help if you're relegated to 1/400s kind of speeds. Getting proficient at AI SERVO-type of AF is hard at first and takes time. Some of your earlier shots, I notice you are standing in places where the gymnasts are traveling towards or away from the camera, making a lot of work for the AF, which won't handle that kind of thing gracefully. I can see, in later images, you are standing more to their side, so they more or less remain at the same distance. Your own orientation can have a world of difference to your results and remember this with respect to backgrounds because you get more reliable focus tracking when there is more contrast between your subject and the background. White on white is very hard to do if you're an AF circuit. Remember to let the AF spool up by keeping your finger on the button at least one second before you need to take the shot.

Also, if I were you I would ditch all those variable aperture zooms. They are not suited for this environment. Keep the 70-200 and maybe get the 135mm f/2 (which will be effectively 200mm-ish on your 50D), which is as close to a perfect lens as Canon makes and happens to have the fastest AF of any lens in their stable, IMHO. With the proceeds of the zooms, buy a 35 f/2 or 50 f/1.4 for your non-action shots.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Thanks for all the recommendations.
    1) I'm only using 28-70/2.8L and 70-200/2.8ISL glass that you see in my signature.

2) Yes, I'm trying to avoid shooting locations/angles where the gymnast is moving toward and away from me on the bars....although being at the end of the vault runway has made for some cool shots.

3) I've got the focus moved to the rear "AF ON" button, so I do keep the IA Servo and the IS (if I'm using it) spooled up.

4) I'm not using a monopod (eventhough I have one). I may try it again, but so far I haven't liked it. I like to be able lift the camera during shooting/panning and I like go from landscape to portrait mode....sometimes during the same sequence. I found the monopod too limiting.

5) I'm definately going to get a prime or 2 as I mentioned a handful of posts back. Some of these gyms are so poorly lit that even a 2.8 lens isn't fast enough. I'll probably start with an 85mm and then add the 135mm later.

• Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Apologies if somebody already asked this: are you using any kind of camera support in these gyms? A monopod might help if you're relegated to 1/400s kind of speeds. Getting proficient at AI SERVO-type of AF is hard at first and takes time. Some of your earlier shots, I notice you are standing in places where the gymnasts are traveling towards or away from the camera, making a lot of work for the AF, which won't handle that kind of thing gracefully. I can see, in later images, you are standing more to their side, so they more or less remain at the same distance. Your own orientation can have a world of difference to your results and remember this with respect to backgrounds because you get more reliable focus tracking when there is more contrast between your subject and the background. White on white is very hard to do if you're an AF circuit. Remember to let the AF spool up by keeping your finger on the button at least one second before you need to take the shot.

Also, if I were you I would ditch all those variable aperture zooms. They are not suited for this environment. Keep the 70-200 and maybe get the 135mm f/2 (which will be effectively 200mm-ish on your 50D), which is as close to a perfect lens as Canon makes and happens to have the fastest AF of any lens in their stable, IMHO. With the proceeds of the zooms, buy a 35 f/2 or 50 f/1.4 for your non-action shots.

Regarding the AF comment above...

There is a HUGE difference here between the Nikon and Canon. AF on the Nikon is better. My Nikon D300 can track a subject (even in bad light(especially in bad light)) running toward me far better than my 7d, Which Canon had pegged as beating the Nikon in AF.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    ... One of them told me that they'd paid $350 for a smaller collage of their daughter and it was not as nice as what I'd surprised them with. That felt pretty good...
    You should do a few more and start collecting for your primes fund.:D

In your words: Killer posters.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Regarding the AF comment above...

There is a HUGE difference here between the Nikon and Canon. AF on the Nikon is better. My Nikon D300 can track a subject (even in bad light(especially in bad light)) running toward me far better than my 7d, Which Canon had pegged as beating the Nikon in AF.

I continue to be interested in your opinions on the D300 vs. the 7D Keiththumb.gif

Meanwhile, here's a poster I just finished for my daughter....
    Postercopyresized.jpg

• Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Out of this world.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I continue to be interested in your opinions on the D300 vs. the 7D Keiththumb.gif

Meanwhile, here's a poster I just finished for my daughter....
    Cool! Guess I'll see you next Sunday!thumb.gif

Here's one I did for my daughter a few years ago...

HannahPoster.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Now I like that alot!!

Got my daughter's poster printed out today and it actually turned out great. The space background looks even better on the print than it does on the computer screen. Michael's is having a 50% off on frames, so it's all framed up and ready to hang.

Leaving in a moment to go take a look at a Canon 85mm 1.8 prime that's for sale locally on CL.mwink.gif

.....and I'm back with my first prime.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Now I like that alot!!

Got my daughter's poster printed out today and it actually turned out great. The space background looks even better on the print than it does on the computer screen. Michael's is having a 50% off on frames, so it's all framed up and ready to hang.

Leaving in a moment to go take a look at a 85mm 1.8 prime that's for sale locally on CL.mwink.gif

Congratulations!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Now I like that alot!!

Leaving in a moment to go take a look at a 85mm 1.8 prime that's for sale locally on CL.mwink.gif

clap.gifclap clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Congrats on the new acquisition. Remember to test it and verify AF accuracy before taking it to a big meet.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Congrats on the new acquisition. Remember to test it and verify AF accuracy before taking it to a big meet.

Cuong

Funny you should mention that. Going over to the gym in just a bit to give it a test shoot.

It's raining primes here right now. Someone else just put a Canon 50mm/1.4 on CL.....not the best deal, but still better than new + shipping. And way out of my price range, but a 135mm/2 L came up a day or so ago as well.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    thumb.gif Okay......me likey the prime lens!iloveyou.gif

It's as if someone just turned on the lights for me. Waited until about 7:30pm to start shooting. Was able to shoot 1600IS0 and 200-320th/sec. The colors are vibrant, the athletes are in focus, and all the photos need is a little noise reduction from DPP and they look darn good.

My Lowepro Mini Trekker 100 is becoming too small, real fastrolleyes1.gif .

• Options
    TechvTechv Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Now you just need to mate it to one of these and you'll be good to go...
    Perfect Gymnastics Camera? :)
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Techv wrote:
    Now you just need to mate it to one of these and you'll be good to go...
    Perfect Gymnastics Camera? :)

canon-eos-mark-iv-press-rm-eng1.jpg

It's:bigbs that this is such a money game, that Canon can't just build a camera, and that everything is umpteen thousand dollars.

Guess the used 1DMkIII's will be cheap as chips now.

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    thumb.gif Okay......me likey the prime lens!iloveyou.gif

It's as if someone just turned on the lights for me. Waited until about 7:30pm to start shooting. Was able to shoot 1600IS0 and 200-320th/sec. The colors are vibrant, the athletes are in focus, and all the photos need is a little noise reduction from DPP and they look darn good.

My Lowepro Mini Trekker 100 is becoming too small, real fastrolleyes1.gif .

So did you shoot at 1.8 or 2.0, etc.??? You gonna post some shots from the primes?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    I cranked it down to 1.8 because I wanted to see both; what SS and ISO I could run, and I wanted to see what the DOF would be like.

The photos are pretty uneventful. I was just shooting athletes that were nearby, whether they were "on" something, or not.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Haven't had much luck with f/1.8, but got some decent images at f/2.0. The planets must be properly aligned on that day.:D

Cuong
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Yeah, I'll probably run f2+ for a little more DOF, and just see how it goes. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    Yeah, I'll probably run f2+ for a little more DOF, and just see how it goes. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday....thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    Looking forward to seeing you Sunday....thumb.gif

Looking forward to meeting you too!

• Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Hey, I got to meet Mike today and we had time to chat for a bit before the fit-hit-the-shan and we had to scatter and start shooting our daughters. What a great guy, and a super little gymnast of a daughter!

Started the day out last night when I went looking for a 50mm/1.4 on Craigslist in the city where the meet was being hosted. Sure enough, I found one, in the box, with the hood, caps and a B&W filter. The seller was kind enough to take a Paypal payment and deliver it to me at the gym just minutes after we arrivedthumb.gif

Good thing too, because this gym is the mother of all poorly lit gyms. Super high ceiling, like maybe 40-50', sparce sodium vapor lighting with a pink cast and a horrible cycle rate, and then a huge window down low, spraying one area with bright white glare. The pair of F/2.8 lenses were almost worthless. Literally H1 ISO and 1/200th or 1/160th at best. But I tried all 4 lenses anyway, just to have a lesson, and some variety. The primes allowed me to get down into 2,000 ISO and 1/400th in most shots.

I'll post a few sample shots as I get some processed.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Hey, I got to meet Mike today and we had time to chat for a bit before the fit-hit-the-shan and we had to scatter and start shooting our daughters. What a great guy, and a super little gymnast of a daughter!

Started the day out last night when I went looking for a 50mm/1.4 on Craigslist in the city where the meet was being hosted. Sure enough, I found one, in the box, with the hood, caps and a B&W filter. The seller was kind enough to take a Paypal payment and deliver it to me at the gym just minutes after we arrivedthumb.gif

Good thing too, because this gym is the mother of all poorly lit gyms. Super high ceiling, like maybe 40-50', sparce sodium vapor lighting with a pink cast and a horrible cycle rate, and then a huge window down low, spraying one area with bright white glare. The pair of F/2.8 lenses were almost worthless. Literally H1 ISO and 1/200th or 1/160th at best. But I tried all 4 lenses anyway, just to have a lesson, and some variety. The primes allowed me to get down into 2,000 ISO and 1/400th in most shots.

I'll post a few sample shots as I get some processed.
    It was great to meet you too Todd! Looks like your daughter did pretty well. Did she get a 1st place?

I always hated this gym for the lighting. I was at ISO 3200 @ 1/160 (or slower) and I still had to bump up the exposure in ACR +1.00.

Here's two from this afternoon. No NR.

clovis_102509_010.jpg
    5D, 70-200 f/4L, ISO 3200, f/4, 1/160

I know I told you I usually don't even try to shoot the vault....but I couldn't resist. I put on the 300mm and was able to capture one decent shot.
    clovis_102509_026.jpg
    5D, 300mm f/4L IS, ISO 3200, f/4, 1/125
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    She was first on beam, and vault for her 10yr old juniors group and 2nd overall. It was her best performance of the year.

Here's the 85mm/1.8 at 1/500th and 2000ISO.....after NR and some PP:
    Beamaresized.jpg

Here's the 28-70/2.8 at 70mm and 1/200th at 2500ISO:
    Flooraresized.jpg

Here's a candid of your daughter:
    Candidresized.jpg

As you can see, my shots leave a lot to be desired. Most aren't much better than point-and-shoot snap shots this time around. It was too dark for the f2.8's, and the 85 and 50 were either too close, or far enough away that once I crop the photo down, it's even worse. Skill level is probably a huge part of the equation. I was trying to stay out of H1 and H2, and with the resulting low shutter speeds, I've still got noise, plus I've got blur from camera shake and from the athlete moving.